Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

McLaren engine bug still persists for your teammate

nsx98nsx98 Member New Car Smell
So after the mclaren glitch I have done a whole season fully upgraded my engine power and have noticed a massive improvement I can actually hold cars off and pass cars on straights etc. However my teammate Alonso will get passed by every car on the grid, cars like Saubers and Toro Rosso's who have slower cars than me now will rocket past him and when he's in DRS etc will be losing ground to almost everyone. Even when I come up behind him on a straight I can put it in lean revs and almost coast by him. I feel like the engine upgrade bug still persists for my teammate as in qualifying he gets consistent top 10 but will drop to the back of the grid immediately within five laps of the race starting and get passed by almost everyone whenever there is half a straight? Either this bug persists still with mclaren engine upgrades for AI cars or for some bizarre reason he is so much slower in the race compared to other cars than qualifying but why is this?
Post edited by nsx98 on
Tagged:

Comments

• PercocetPantherPercocetPanther Member New Car Smell
    Sounds like Alonso is still driving the first race of season 1, no upgrades added, terrible on the straights version of the McLaren while you have developed the car through upgrades and are noticing significant improvements.

Surely if he were in the same, better version, of the McLaren, and that's assuming R&D is shared between drivers, he'd be qualifying further up?

It seems, to me, that it is one of two things;

1) R&D upgrades aren't shared between teammates and so he's stuck in the pre-upgrade car.

2) He is actually performing well/normally, relative to his equipment, and you are exceeding expectations and over performing by some margin.

Or I suppose it could just be a bug...lol
  • CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Co-Driver
    Hows the quali times between you and your team mate? 
  • nsx98nsx98 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 20
    Yes I feel it might be a bug, or maybe teammates are just much worse than other AI cars. I am usually only half a second at max faster in quali. I play on master (95) AI and in quali he is fairly competitive getting to Q3 on most occasions. But as soon as the race starts it's like he gets passed by everyone and has no pace at all and will regularly finish somewhere between 15th-18th I feel as though the qualifying pace and actual race pace are completely different, in qualifying he is with me in top ten and then in the race he is just beating the saubers yet I am the 5th best team (level with Williams).
    There is definitely a bug still with your teammates engines, I just finished a 50% race on Bahrain and he finished behind the two saubers, they pass him with ease whenever there is a straight. These cars are miles behind me in the performance chart I feel like none of the upgrades apply to your teammates car which is ruining the experience and making it feel very unrealistic.
  • DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    Do a race at 101 and see if he improves 
  • CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Co-Driver
    It would seem that his car performance isnt scaling with yours. A possible bug, but a big one really. Raises more questions,, if you're the number 1 driver, after whatever part you develop and receive, the next race weekend your team mate should have it. In the first season as a number 2 driver there should be random times through the year when the R&D guy says "we are trying some new parts on *insert team mates name here*, if they prove successful you should have them by the next meeting". That tho would be something for next year, scaling your team mates performance to yours tho shouldnt be too hard to patch...... @F1Support @jennyannem
    I hope it gets fixed, the whole reason for me picking McLaren was to return them to the top and be competing with mercedes red bull and Ferrari alongside a double world champion which would make it feel the more realistic. I already had the previous engine bug and acknowledge for my car it has definitely been fixed I am fairly quick on the straights now however I'm adamant the bug still exists for you're teammate/AI
    edited September 21
    I drive the Williams in my career mode and Stroll is regularly qualifying between 10th and 15th, whereas I am able to get in the top 4.

Same with race pace.

I am able to exceed expectations and get podiums etc...while he finishes in much more realistic positions, relative to real world performance, towards the back of the midfield (10th through 16th)..

Personally, I think Alonso is simply driving the slowest car in the game, and suffering accordingly, and being A.I he is not endowed with the creative thinking and ability you have, coupled with set up differences (his may be much more conservative), and rigid A.I thinking regards strategy and adaptation to circumstance, all of which put him at a disadvantage, and end up seeing him about where he has actually been all year...and the last 3 years...at the back.

I may well be wrong, but my feeling is you are simply getting that bit extra out of the car.
    edited September 21
    I understand but why is it he finishes 7th-10th in every qualifying 3 session which is relative to the performance chart, but then immediately has no pace in the race, surely based off of my performance being level with Williams, and my mclaren being very quick in a straight line now he should be able to be as quick in a straight line alone as the cars which I am as quick as? He will get passed by two or three cars on one single straight alone and me being in the same exact car as him, he could have drs be 2 seconds Infront and in standard I would catch him instantly on a straight, he is going at about 20mph less than every other car yet I am faster in a straight line alone than every car apart from the Ferrari and Mercedes powered cars, and still then I can catch/hold them off.

Tbh On tracks like Hungary Monaco etc. He will finish near the top 10 but my point is that his straight line speed is bugged and his car has received none of the engine upgrades I have applied and have on my car. I feel it is linked to the mclaren engine bug they recently patched.
    edited September 22
    As I suggested, and others have, it seems he hasn't got the upgrades you have.

Yet you say in some situations he appears to have equal machinery to you and other times he is going backwards.

It makes no sense...I'll grant you that.

Unless it is something specific to his race pace, and I know I'm repeating myself and I don't mean to be annoying, which could be set up related, poor judgement (pitting at the wrong time, picking wrong tyre), and the classic DRS rubber banding.

You know, where a car keeps getting caught in the 1 second DRS trap because it lacks the power to stay far enough ahead and consequently every car uses it, one at a time, to move past, creating a constant situation of "not quick enough, gets caught in DRS, is overtaken, next car does the same" over and over again, putting poor Alonso back further and further till he's last.
  • Dunky1980Dunky1980 Member Unleaded
    I drive the Williams in my career mode and Stroll is regularly qualifying between 10th and 15th, whereas I am able to get in the top 4.

Same with race pace.

I am able to exceed expectations and get podiums etc...while he finishes in much more realistic positions, relative to real world performance, towards the back of the midfield (10th through 16th)..

Personally, I think Alonso is simply driving the slowest car in the game, and suffering accordingly, and being A.I he is not endowed with the creative thinking and ability you have, coupled with set up differences (his may be much more conservative), and rigid A.I thinking regards strategy and adaptation to circumstance, all of which put him at a disadvantage, and end up seeing him about where he has actually been all year...and the last 3 years...at the back.

I may well be wrong, but my feeling is you are simply getting that bit extra out of the car.
    Same is happening to me with Lance stroll. As the season goes on the gap between me and him gets bigger and bigger. I wonder if the AI teammates are also getting the upgrades?
  • AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Pit Crew
    The developers need tagging in these threads so they know or find it easier. Loads of bugs but I do believe they are trying :)

@F1Support @jennyannem

@F1Support @jennyannem
    Please I'm the 4th best team behind red bull fernando Alonso starts 8th on the grid and by lap 6 is 20th behind saubers who are 200 levels behind in the comparison graph what is going on there is a major bug with your teammates race pace its completely glitched as if none of the upgrades apply at all in the race yet in qualifying they do 
  • BeefybjkBeefybjk Member New Car Smell
    I am driving a Mclaren-Honda in career mode and am nearing the end of season 1. I have done 2 races since the Mclaren patch and have been much more competitive. However my team mate (Alonso) is still performing very poorly as if he hasn't received any upgrades. I can only back up your statement.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    I was really hoping to play as a Nelson Piquet Jr, type and help Alonso to a title :(
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
  • F1SupportF1Support Member, Codemasters Co-Driver
    This is an issue we're currently investigating.  Am I correct in saying it's only affecting a McLaren team-mate?
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    F1Support said:
    This is an issue we're currently investigating.  Am I correct in saying it's only affecting a McLaren team-mate?
    Reading the thread I would say NO
    Dunky1980 said:
    Same is happening to me with Lance stroll. As the season goes on the gap between me and him gets bigger and bigger. I wonder if the AI teammates are also getting the upgrades?

You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
  • Jc86Jc86 Member New Car Smell
    I can confirm that there is a bug with Mclaren team mate. I have fully upgraded Mclaren powertrain and I am 3rd - 6th on speedtraps. Where Alonso are always last and losing about 8-10 km per hour to Saubers. Check this on practice sessions, you will see.
  • RaalteRaalte Member Race Steward
    Can also confirm this. My topspeed on Monza is 10 kph faster than Alonso. 1.3 sec. faster in qualifying in Monza. 
  • YxmordareYxmordare Member New Car Smell
    edited September 26
    FRACTURED said:
    F1Support said:
    Reading the thread I would say NO
    Dunky1980 said:

Then it's random?
    I took Lance Stroll spot and was able to win the Drivers' and the Constructors' Championship after a few seasons.
    Felipe Massa definitely got the upgrades, he was able to win a couple of races and finished the last season I played in third place.
    Funny thing is that he started to outqualify me on almost every single race, although my race pace ir better than his.