Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

What is wrong with me? (difficulty)

I can only qualify last.  I fail all practice programs and objectives.  I have the AI difficulty set to 0, brake assist low and TC medium.  I've practiced the Australian course literally 30-50 times, and my absolute best is I think 1:38.4. 

AI 0 is supposedly "very easy".  Sorry Codemasters, but "Very easy" needs to be a mode that doesn't result in constant failure for a newcomer, especially after practicing this bloody track for hours.  I really want to like this game, but I can only take so much punishment....

Sorry for the rant.  Any tips?  

Comments

• fstarredfstarred Member Unleaded
    Make a video of yourself driving and then  you'll get some hints I think
  • DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    Turn off brake assist and use the racing line. Start there.
  • CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Pit Crew
    edited September 25
    Well 1st of all lets make sure you have the game set right.. Go into the control settings and make sure the throttle is set to 100 % (some were saying it was at 85% for xbox and ps4 controllers), theres 3 bars down the bottom of the calibration page that shows you how much percentage you have when you fully depress the throttle. It could be as simple as your not getting max speed from the car because of a bad setting. Next type 'F1 2017 setups' in Google and find a good setup to use for the car you have chosen. Next dont use career mode to learn the tracks (it will just wear your components) use the time trials and use your chosen career car and a good setup to just turn laps. 
  • MoAdoy1MoAdoy1 Member New Car Smell

Is the control settings you are referring found in the actual F1 2017 game or found in the overall console settings? Many thanks!

edited September 25
    In the game, 'preferences' then 'control settings' the slider bars to see how much throttle you are getting is at the bottom of the advanced settings
  • patronaspatronas Member Unleaded
    Try changing ur diffulty for each race I find my difficult y been diffrent at each race track before patch 1.6 I was running 86 difficulty at every track but since that patch im iether way to slow or fast and have to adjust diffulty im fed up withit now I spend more time trying to find my diffulty than out else at every track done Australia had to run 80 difficult but then next race had to run difficult at 88 to be on same times as team mate 
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    30 laps isn't really very many. A person can't hit a golf ball very well after 30 swings and that's a fixed object and a repeated action...

I would recommend Full Traction and ABS but no braking assist or racing line to begin (you'd only have to unlearn these later).
    I would also recommend using time trial and using a ghost about 1 second faster than you can manage and basically follow it around and once you can go quicker than it, set a new ghost about 1 second faster than your new best and so on until you are good enough to start to compete in career (you need to have a target laptime in mind). I'd also do all circuits before you start career. Maybe it will take 100 laps per circuit, which is about 50 hours of playing time to do all of that, but you'd probably be fairly handy by then. 
  • PercocetPantherPercocetPanther Member New Car Smell
    As Rinehart suggested above, I would switch off the braking assists but have full TC until you start clicking with the handling model and become smoother on the brakes and throttle.

Once you achieve some consistency and confidence take TC down to medium and take some time adjusting to the way the car now reacts as you apply the throttle.

It's all a gradual learning process.
  • rabbitbAJrabbitbAJ Member Unleaded
    Braking assist will not be an issue. This is 0 AI we are talking they brake like 500 meters before the turn. 
    At the start of the race my rival said he would beat me, I said ' !@#*£ please' and then beat him by fifteen seconds.  
  • ChristerHiortChristerHiort Member New Car Smell
    Often the biggest problem with beginners is that you drive too fast. Be patient and do laps in the time trial mode so you learn the racing line. 
    The paradox is that high speed in a corner might be slower than a correct line trough a corner....
  • RaalteRaalte Member Co-Driver
    edited September 25
    patronas said:
    Try changing ur diffulty for each race I find my difficult y been diffrent at each race track before patch 1.6 I was running 86 difficulty at every track but since that patch im iether way to slow or fast and have to adjust diffulty im fed up withit now I spend more time trying to find my diffulty than out else at every track done Australia had to run 80 difficult but then next race had to run difficult at 88 to be on same times as team mate 

He's already playing on 0.

Can't give you any more advice than what's already been said. A video of your game play would be helpful 
  • RodrigoMendesRodrigoMendes Member Wheel Nut
    F1 is not a easy game. Even with all assists. Its too much speed. Looks like you need to play some basic racing games before driving a F1 car. Try Forza Motorsport 7 first or other games that have slower cars. Looks like you need to understand more about racing until try a F1 game. Would help you more than tru to play on 0% difficulty.
  • MeatPrinterMeatPrinter Member New Car Smell
    30 laps isn't really very many. A person can't hit a golf ball very well after 30 swings and that's a fixed object and a repeated action...Maybe it will take 100 laps per circuit, which is about 50 hours of playing time to do all of that, but you'd probably be fairly handy by then. 

F1 is not a easy game. Even with all assists. Its too much speed. Looks like you need to play some basic racing games before driving a F1 car. Try Forza Motorsport 7 first or other games that have slower cars. Looks like you need to understand more about racing until try a F1 game. Would help you more than tru to play on 0% difficulty.
    Hi all, thanks for the feedback.  I dunno, I personally think it's a huge game design flaw if keeping up with the AI on "very easy" requires 50 hours of advance practice.  Or if like RM says, that newcomers shouldn't even bother.  Just my opinion.

I tried the racing line.  It was pretty frustrating.  Are you supposed to start braking when you get to the red boxes?  Because they are a little later than where I brake, and if I follow them, I understeer and run off the course at every turn.  

I actually had some luck watching a Vettel helmet cam.  Turns I was taking at 4th gear, he was taking at 2nd or 3rd.  So I made that change, and I'm now at about 1:34!  That's about the middle of the pack at AI 0 :).  

Thanks for the throttle suggestion.  I checked it and it goes all the way to 100.  I will post a video shortly!  Thanks all.  
    Ok here.  I made some mistakes especially because I knew I was recording it :).  This is another 1:34 run.  The extra downshifting has helped a lot.  

I have a feeling the advice is going to be "don't make as many mistakes"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=815oZHAunDo

Thanks!
  • TheVelvetoneTheVelvetone Member Unleaded
    Ok here.  I made some mistakes especially because I knew I was recording it :).  This is another 1:34 run.  The extra downshifting has helped a lot.  

I have a feeling the advice is going to be "don't make as many mistakes"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=815oZHAunDo

Thanks!
    Wooow, before you do anything else, you should change your camera view to default (just above the driver's helmet). That makes a huge difference because what you have there is one of the hardest camera views to drive with. You will then see the corners a lot better and where you have to brake. Of course you're free to play how you want so you can drive with the first person view but since you have some trouble I'd suggest you continue with the default view.

For the rest, you're actually not driving so very badly. The main thing seems to be that you've got to learn F1 cars go through corners with very high speed. That's what's missing, but it should be something you'll get confident with and used to the more you play
    Do you have ABS on? You are braking way too early, turn on racing line for corners only it will help so you when to brake (red = too quick, green = perfect). Have a look at adapting a setup from online to help balance the car, that left right chicane can be taking in 6 or 7th gear with a dab of brake, stay too the right around that curving straight and turn in from out there. The racing line assist will definitely help you. Always try and make the corners as straight as possible from out wide to apex to out wide, especially on the last corner and the chicane,, your lap times are down because your exit speed is too slow and therefore compromises your top speed down the straights. Again judging by this vid its the racing line (corners only) assist that will give you the most improvement. Also YouTube other ppls videos on the track you are racing at the tine to give you an idea of braking markers and turn in points
  • IanXIanX Member New Car Smell
    for what I can see, its about smoothness of those corners, you are entering with gear drops? this will upset the cars balance if used right on the apex, try braking instead and enter the corner smoother.   This will give you a quicker exit and get to higher speeds before the next corner.

Hard to see but i am guesing you are sliding to the edge of some of those corners, that will be not enough down force.

I find melbourne a hard track, it is very technical with so many switchbacks, you have to be spot on with corner entry.   Have some fun, go try singapore, its a fast and very forgiving track where you can practice corners.
    Also maybe use manual with suggested gears, dont get into the habit of over shifting it will not only ruin ur laptimes but when you move to career mode your gearbox will wear quicker
    Wooow, before you do anything else, you should change your camera view to default (just above the driver's helmet). That makes a huge difference because what you have there is one of the hardest camera views to drive with. 
    Ha, yeah I know.  I'll consider it. I like the immersion of first person though.  By now I've driven Australia so many times that first person is fine.  Maybe I'll learn new tracks with the easier camera.  

Do you have ABS on? You are braking way too early, turn on racing line for corners only it will help so you when to brake (red = too quick, green = perfect). Have a look at adapting a setup from online to help balance the car, that left right chicane can be taking in 6 or 7th gear with a dab of brake, stay too the right around that curving straight and turn in from out there. 
    Ok I will look at the braking racing line, though I was having a lot of trouble with it earlier.  And yeah the AI always smokes me in that middle chicane.  I realize I'm not doing that one quite right.  I'll have a look at the suggested gears too.

So for a corner, are you supposed to finish downshifting before the turn starts?

Frankly the game is playable with times like 1:34, so I'm no longer as depressed as I was in the original post.  I don't need to win (plus it's the Haas car).  

On to China...time to start all over again  :'(
  • MrMeeseeksC137MrMeeseeksC137 Member New Car Smell
    Don’t feel bad man. I have 100s of hours in multiple F1 games and I’m still 2-3 seconds off the #1 on the leaderboard on every track. The most frustrating thing about playing this game is feeling like you’re pushing with everything you have and still slow as ****. But every 100th of a second you’re able to find in a lap you’ve done 300 times is extremely satisfying. Just keep the difficulty as 0 and keep playing. It’s like the Dark Souls of racing games.