Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WE WANT GRID 4! - Main Thread

Comments

• CosCos Member New Car Smell
    Hope there is another Grid soon. Met such a great bunch of folks over the time i played autosport(Thanks to the great coms) who have splintered into PC ,AC, Dirt rally etc. Agree on a remake of a classic, like my favorite, Toca Race Driver. Bound to be a great game whatever they produce. 
  • ipickoipicko Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear you enjoyed GRID Autosport :) I enjoyed working on that game. We've got plenty of ideas of how we'd improve things next time around, but keep the suggestions coming - we love to hear about them.
  • flowaangelzflowaangelz Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 2015
    Wow, finally some positive news about possible Grid successor :)

After Grid 2 debacle (if we wanted stupid arcade/drifty handling we wud go play NFS or Burnout), GAS was the best thing that happened to the series. Every day there are still full online lobbies consisting of fast and fair players, going on for hours, or active leagues. And many ppl came back from said PC, AC or Dirt as it didnt offer them the same thrill as GAS. 

If u are for real with the new Grid game, plz for the love of god, make GAS 2. Actually im worried about ur "plenty ideas of improving the game". TBH, there is not many big things to improve:) I've clocked 750hours on GAS so far and i intend on doublying that figure ;) so i think i entitled to say that the less things u change the better. Last time after Grid2 u guys listened to our critic, Loore did a great job here, taking care of us :)

• ipickoipicko Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    I can't confirm if/when the next game in the series will come along, but if you guys keep drumming up demand for it, it will help that day come sooner. :)

Yes we learned a lot from GRID 2 which helped us to shape GAS, and we learned a lot from that too. Don't worry - we'd avoid changing the things you like.

And yes, @Loore certainly did a fantastic job passing your feedback to the dev team. :)
  • MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    edited October 2015
    Of corse we want Grid 4! Grid (Grid 1 , GAS we all almost hated Grid 2) is the best racing franchise (for PC at least)
    I have got Dirt rally and allthough is a really good game and one of the  best rally best games ever (even unfinshed) nothing to compare with this action and the fun of Grid 1 - GAS ,i play racing games since early 90's  i love all range of racing games from the most arcade (yeah ipicko i play on steam even Sonic and all stars racing transformed , Sonic lover since Sega Master system too)  to the most simulators but never ever found this perfect balance between sim and arcade handling and physics..
    So yes we desperately want the nest Grid game as soon as possible , we will suggest many things once next Grid game is announced i still love playing GAS with my friends Flowaangelz and COS (Hi dudes see you in any lobby soon!)  , one thing i can say now is that i would like to see better colission physics which they were way better in Grid 1 compare to GAS.. Otherwise GAS is an awesome game! We expect news for the nect Grid game ! :p :D B)
    Post edited by MiatakiasGR on
  • LoggyLoggy Member Unleaded
    Text chat please.
    Ive never and will not use a mic.
    I hate dropping out of games without a BB, or Dinner, or BT, or GTG work. And the occasional Sorry and the GRs too.
    Also we can follow (after chat) if someone is starting a favorite session type....
    It is a must.

And like Flowa says  """plenty ideas of improving the game"""-- it doesn't need much, really. 
  • flowaangelzflowaangelz Member Wheel Nut
    Text chat again - very important social thing. Not big fonts DIRT2/3 style but small more Grid 1 style like they have it on most FPS games. Not on separate screen but on game action screen, accessible whole the time, also during loading screens.
    Voice communication doesn't work like it shud. Mic sounds are crap mostly, and good mic cost money. Also, steam text chat is bad. Some ppl just dont want to interact and will hide behind private account and dont respond. Like Loggy said, there are some msgs you'd like the whole lobby to see.

Change spectating mode like it was in Grid1, when you cud spectate no matter how late u joined the lobby. Right now when you join the lobby that already started the race you cannot spectate and get bored. And whats the point in making spectate mode available only to ppl who started the race but retired. Most of the time no1 is doing that anyway, ppl tend to race when they have a race, not retire to watch. 

These two things are just examples of how you Codies, went wrong with some decision making. You changed something that was working fine. But deffo text chat is a big issue. But i guess u know his from this forums. 
  • lordplatolordplato Member New Car Smell

Hi all I think all the Grid games are fantastic in different ways.All I would like to see is pit stops just this little thing would have made the Games awesome.

• MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    Text chat again - very important social thing. Not big fonts DIRT2/3 style but small more Grid 1 style like they have it on most FPS games. Not on separate screen but on game action screen, accessible whole the time, also during loading screens.
    Voice communication doesn't work like it shud. Mic sounds are crap mostly, and good mic cost money. Also, steam text chat is bad. Some ppl just dont want to interact and will hide behind private account and dont respond. Like Loggy said, there are some msgs you'd like the whole lobby to see.

Change spectating mode like it was in Grid1, when you cud spectate no matter how late u joined the lobby. Right now when you join the lobby that already started the race you cannot spectate and get bored. And whats the point in making spectate mode available only to ppl who started the race but retired. Most of the time no1 is doing that anyway, ppl tend to race when they have a race, not retire to watch. 

These two things are just examples of how you Codies, went wrong with some decision making. You changed something that was working fine. But deffo text chat is a big issue. But i guess u know his from this forums. 
    I absolutely agree with these 2 necessary things we need in next Grid game.. Not confident for both until now as the new Dirt rally which is in early access and got online mode for rallycross  does not include either .. ;( Also when you spectate after retiring the race or wrecking , when u spectate there is no TV camera style but only gameplay cameras to chose.. We asked for thiese 2 things many many years , managers were saying that there are difficulties about coding , programming for the current engine (Grid 2 , GAS etc) but now codies know many years how necessary for us are these 2 features that there are no excuses.. :| :s
  • Ressource271Ressource271 Member New Car Smell
    Hi there, i'm a big fan of Grid Games too. It would be really great if there is a chance for Grid 4. Lets hope and dream. :)

• RiikRiik Member New Car Smell
    I'd definitely like to see a new GRID. However, there are a few weak points in the older GRID games that I'd personally like to see ironed out. Dunno how many will agree, but here's my views on what should be changed for a new game in the series, and what should be kept:

- I love the way GRID 2 made the main 8 AI opponents so distinguishable in career mode. Each with their own choice of car, livery and nationality, as well as their own behavioural differences. It gave a real sense of rivalry when playing through the career. Whilst yes, it's an arcadey feature, it's fun, and fun should be what GRID is all about, given it's not pure arcade nor sim. True, motorsport in general has this to a degree, but it felt a lot stronger in GRID 2 and reminded me of the old Playstation classic Total Drivin, which despite being a generic 90s arcade racer with mediocre graphics and poor physics, was hugely fun because of the character that each AI driver had.

- I'd like a stronger custom race mode. GRID 2's custom race mode always annoyed me due to the fact that it would always randomise which AI drivers you'd be against, when I would have much rather be racing against the main career opponents (as they're far tougher and have that individuality I mentioned). And then there's GRID Autosport, which lacked the option of a custom livery for single player custom races, which to me is a big drawback. Custom races should really be there to allow a player to feel they're continuing with the single player competition after the career is over (as well as giving an alternative experience to those not wanting to do a career mode).

- Autosport's catchup mechanic was horrible and should be gone. It was far too artificial and noticeable and was not in any way a fun challenge. Battling through the general field should not just take one or two laps, except maybe on short 3-5 lap races. And once you get to the front, battling with AI drivers who are in significantly faster cars then yours even if they're your team mate is a real put-off. And don't even get me started on laptimes of spun-out cars trying to return to their programmed positions. At the very least, catchup should be toggleable. A more subtle approach could be to only apply AI speed boost catchup to teams that are meant to be superior to your own (so you don't feel like you've been given a completely different spec car to your Ravenwest teammate).

- Team customisation is a must, and Single Player should have the same range of features that Multiplayer has to appeal to both audiences. Furthermore, DLC cars should be fully playable in career, as that's something that annoyed me about Autosport (and similarly affected DiRT 3). GRID 2 was fine, although it felt a bit weird that the player essentially drove for the WSR's organisers, which felt out of place compared to the other club-based drivers.

- I'd really like drift events to be more optional than they are. From time to time, yes, I'd like to do drift races, but having them part of the career (even as cup events) was pretty annoying. That's not to say they should be sidelined if they're included, but you shouldn't have to compete in them in order to progress.

- Less pushy engineers would also be nice. Yes, race engineers are meant to be pushy, but when you're driving for Razer and getting more-or-less told off for not keeping up with Nathan McKane because you happened to beat him in a previous event, it really makes me go "I'm in 3rd place! You should be grateful I managed to get your car up there, as with any other driver, you'd be lucky to get the car into 12th, so stop complaining!". I also hated getting told I could do better in GRID 2 when finishing 2nd despite starting in last place with the fastest driver in pole position (thus meaning that by the time I get through the pack, he's too far away to catch).

- Gearbox damage should be toggleable as its own option. I say this because I can't multitask to the extent of using a manual gearbox, and I'm sure there are others who struggle with gears too. And having an automatic gearbox that destroys itself half-way through the race is very frustrating. One could say "well then, learn how to use gears," but it's a game, you should be rewarded for not using assists, rather than punished for having to use them.

- Replay cameras. In GRID 2, they're awful, as you can't tell what's going on at all, and half the time, the camera's pointing at a backdrop. GRID Autosport, they're better, but they're still poor because you still miss the action. Camera angles that don't show the actual racing (such as those pointed right at the windscreen or those doing a close-up of a wheel) should be gone. Track-side cameras in fact would be a lot better, as they show the action much better. Maybe there should be seperate camera modes for either option depending on whether the replay is for watching purposes, marketing/whatever purposes or screenshot-taking purposes.

Those are a few of the thoughts that cross my mind personally, although no doubt they might conflict with other opinions.
  • OzoreXSOzoreXS Member Race Steward
    An updated, mature version of Pro Race driver is just a dream... It would be an absolute success.

New graphics, physics at least  as good as dirt Rally have, some more driver trajectory... waawawaw.... hours, ... months!.. YEARS of enjoy with that.

Call it whatever you want, but I never reached again that level of happiness while driving Race Driver with my MOMO wheel. Pure enjoy.
    RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2400 16GB || CHASSIS: Cooler Master Silencio 650 Pure || CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4,8Ghz || GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce OC 4GB || PSU :Cooler Master G750M 750W || MOBO: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer || CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M || SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB || HDD: ...many || Wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT

>>"SEÑOR OZORES" on Steam!<<
  • XoxFlukeXoxXoxFlukeXox Member Wheel Nut
    I would love to see Grid Autosport 2.... and sooner rather than later

I know I've complained to CM in the past about some of the bugs in your games but I have to give it to you guys.... you know how to make a good fun racing game !

I wouldn't want much changed from Grid Autosport tbh... just some updated cars and tracks and a more extensive playlist for online racing.

Team NSR

• CrumplezoneCrumplezone Member New Car Smell
    Would it be possible to include a feature to have any members of Team NSR banned from Autosport 2 from the very beginning? I think this would be the most important feature of any new game to ensure enjoyment for anyone else in the world who might want to play without getting rammed off the track repeatedly for no reason whatsoever.
  • crazehayes1984crazehayes1984 Member Unleaded
    Crumplezone. Just get a PlayStation then it's problem solved for you lol. 
    I have no experience of racing with them but I'm sure we'd get on swimmingly.
    I've kind of always wanted to race fluke and flukey to see how it goes but I will never get an Xbox. I did watch all of rta's videos tho, very entertaining.
  • XoxFlukeXoxXoxFlukeXox Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 2015
    Would it be possible to include a feature to have any members of Team NSR banned from Autosport 2 from the very beginning? I think this would be the most important feature of any new game to ensure enjoyment for anyone else in the world who might want to play without getting rammed off the track repeatedly for no reason whatsoever.

There's always a reason crumplezone, only most of the time the majority of grid players don't know what it is as they have no concept of the basics of racing.  They think dive bombing someone going into a corner while shouting "I've got the inside line" and knocking the other car off the track is acceptable, others think using the car in front as a brake is perfectly OK while even more think it's OK to use the car in front to get round a turn.

I've been playing Project Cars lately.... have met a lot of good, fast clean racers on there.  Come join us... you might learn a thing or two.

Finally, Team NSR would like to wish you a very happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year :)

Team NSR

• Rye112Rye112 Member New Car Smell
    Ok I'm gonna rattle off some ideas 

- any car for any track I noticed in gas that some cars in the solo time trials couldn't go on some tracks, and this bugged me so much.

- custom livarys/ own company: if you where to make gas 2 having my own company with my own livery would be awesome, just imagine driving your R35. (Or your fav car) and seeing it with such glamer.

- upgrading. Yes this is a difficult one in some occasions some people love it... Some hate it. But just being able to have your own car come 3rd then unlock a engine upgrade, do the same race and win. It feels so great, maybe you could have a setting that allows you to turn on/off the upgrades. 

- 2 screen split screen I have duel monitors and I was a little upset with not being able to have my friend race on a difrent screen. 

More drift events and drag events. 

Essentials 
    - more tracks,
     more cars,
    better ai,
    tiny tweak to physics
    , better visuals ( not that gas was bad, I absolutely adored the graphics on my pc)

I am asking for a lot but I think some of my ideas are cool and do-able and I personally think CM is the is the best to give us what we want. Unlike the project cars guys ( said it was all for the fans, still haven't gotten a GTR that plenty of people have asked for )

• gllgll Member New Car Smell
    • i whant a sim, i think grid had the potencial to be a great sim. add a pit stop could be awesome for the game. arcade or sim? this could be adjustable for individual experience. grid autosport returns to origins (toca race driver) and show a interesting path, that´s can be the way. please codemasters, don´t try to make another generic Racing game. thanks   
  • KingOfTheCakesKingOfTheCakes Member Wheel Nut
    edited January 2016
    Imo, I think Grid should take the Dirt Rally route. In terms of classes, physics and early access. It's a very well balanced game.

Also, focus mainly on Touring Cars. Have some stuff from the 60s up to the 2000s. Have DTM, V8s, Muscles. Finally, improved AI.
  • VirtuaIceManVirtuaIceMan Member Race Steward
    I'd like it to go the route of ToCA Race Driver 3, be a smorgasbord of racing disciplines all under one roof, nothing more challenging than going from GT to trucks, to single seaters, etc.

Of course, if you could license the BTCC in some capacity, that'd help; I read elsewhere the issue might be that the series, cars and tracks would all need licencing separately, but maybe that's one to chase up with all of them, as a new game would be great publicity like the old ToCA Touring Cars games. Plus with Subaru joining, it's going to be an interesting season...