Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Favourite and least favourite circuits?

Comments

• lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    Honestly Istanbul, Buddh and Valencia.

rip :(
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
  • SobritosSobritos Member New Car Smell
    Favs:
    Nurburgring GP
    Monaco
    Korea (yep, that was a good track to "drive")
    Silverstone
    spa

Worst:
    singapore (god I hate that one)
    Valencia (dull)
    Abu dhabi (super dull)
    China (horrible track)
    Monza
  • Luke1991Luke1991 Member Pit Crew
    edited October 2017
    Singapore is for sure my best and definitely one of my favourites to drive. I can always get into a real nice rhythm around there. In that list I’d probably put Melbourne, Silverstone, China and Monaco too.
  • Luke1991Luke1991 Member Pit Crew
    edited October 2017
    Sobritos said:
    Sad to see that Monaco is on everybody's worst list. And everybody basically vote against the most technical circuits. I'm going to guess that's because most players play on a pad. 

Has nothing to do with playing on a pad. I use a pad and am able to be fast at all circuits. Of course I’m better at some tracks than other ones :)
  • RhinoCharging00RhinoCharging00 Member Co-Driver
    I guess my preference is for fast tracks, with fast corners and one or two big stops to overtake.

The stop-start-stop-start, 90 degree left into 90 degree right, type of circuit epitomised by Singapore and Monaco just don't do anything for me.

But I think it is good that the whole season has a variety of different circuits that test driver and car.
  • Ho3n3rHo3n3r Member Race Steward
    edited October 2017
    Favorites:
    1. Suzuka
    2. Spa
    3. Monza
    4. Silverstone
    5. Interlagos

Hates:
    1. Baku - dull and repetitive.
    2. Mexico - new stadium section absolutely ruined the track for me.
    3. Singapore - same as Baku, except the final 2 corners.

Regarding Monaco: I love the challenge of driving it, but watching it is akin to watching paint dry. Barely pay attention to the real race there any more. Quali is the climax of the weekend.
  • CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    edited October 2017
    Top 5, least best to absolute best:
    5. Sepang (Melbourne, Bahrain, Silverstone and Interlagos are all up there too)
    4. Spa
    3. Suzuka
    1. Singapore (tied - amazing in quali, much better for racing than Monaco, much better corners in general)
    1. Abu Dhabi (tied - ultimate test track and it's so easy to exploit people's discomfort in S3 and create unconventional overtaking spots)

Bottom 5, least worst to absolute worst:
    5. Sochi (honestly not a lot that I really hate on the current calendar, as Sochi's a contentious pick due to S3 being awesome)
    4. Mexico
    3. CotA
    2. Baku
    1. Monaco

Sobritos said:
    Sad to see that Monaco is on everybody's worst list. And everybody basically vote against the most technical circuits. I'm going to guess that's because most players play on a pad.
    Even with a wheel and being extremely good at it, Monaco is little more than a waste. The technical circuits I do feel conflicted on as the better Tilkedromes (Singapore, Abu Dhabi) are easily my favorites and I don't get much enjoyment out of fast corners or long corners in comparison, while non-Tilke ones or some of his worse ones are close to being my least favorites, but Monaco is just mindless bravery. Past that, it provides almost no challenge whatsoever, with even the 110% AI in this game struggling to avoid getting lapped. Bravery isn't very entertaining for me, so even if it's one of my best tracks, it's easily my least favorite on the calendar right now.

• ShouldBeThereShouldBeThere Member Wheel Nut
    1. Spa
    2. Canada
    3. Singapore
    4. Australia
    5. Monaco

Bottom
    1. Baku
    2. Mexico

Can't make anymore that I dislike, a few like Suzuka, China, and Silverstone are actually amazing to drive this year so are no longer bad. 
  • sirio994sirio994 Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 2017
    I hate Sochi because i found it a commercial circuit rushed in for business reasons. The middle part has no sense. They could have done better.

I hate those 90 degree left-90 degree right sequences. S3 in Abu Dhabi is whithin the limits but S1-2 i sochi are too much.

Clearly rushed in...

IMHO Russia deserved a better circuit...
  • Leeboi85Leeboi85 Member New Car Smell
    top five
    1) Spa
    2)Canada 
    3)Singapore
    4)China
    5)Hungary

Worst
    1)Monaco (am terrible round there)
    2)Texas
    3)Suzuka
    4)Britain (Have not got over the change in track and never will) 
    5) Mexico (absolute garbage final sector)  
  • naykaanaykaa Member New Car Smell
    Best 5:

1. Malaysia (surprised not many have picked it, going to really miss it)
    2. Canada
    3. Monza
    4. Japan (used to despise it, but with the extra downforce in 2017 it is brilliant)
    5. Brazil

Worst 5:

1. Australia
    2. Monaco
    3. Silverstone
    4. Spa
    5. Mexico
  • PreshiPreshi Member New Car Smell
    edited October 2017
    Best:
    1. Melbourne
    2. Spa
    3. Monaco
    4. Singapore
    5. China
    Worst:
    1. Malaysia
    2. Brazil
    3. Usa
    4. Baku

Others are fine for me... average pace..  
  • bassserbassser Member Wheel Nut
    Best 5:
    1. Spa
    2. Sao Paulo
    3. Melbourne
    4. Monaco
    5. Monza

Least 5:
    1. Barcelona
    2. Silverstone
    3. Shanghai
    4. Hungary
    5. Mexico
    F1 2017 Beta Tester | League Racer | Thrustmaster T500 RS | PC | F1 Gaming since F1 97
  • ByrneByrne Member Unleaded
    Best
    1: Canada
    2: Austria
    3: Melbourne
    4: Hungary
    5: Bahrain

These tend to be my best results as I can always find a decent rhythm

Worst

1: Monaco
    2: Baku
    3: japan

these three are in terms of driving. It's a miracle if I can make it 2 without ending up in a wall or barrier

4: Spain
    5: Abu Dhabi

Just tend to  find these two a bit boring and tedious as I play on 100%

I agree  ghat Monaco seems harder ai-wise and will admit I drop difficulty by 15 points just to be competitive
  • pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    Dang why do so many people hate COTA? It's literally the best Tilke track on the calendar aside from maybe Malaysia. I honestly find it almost as fun as Suzuka to drive this year. Same with Singapore. It feel its like Monaco but actually exciting since its higher speed and wider.

Best:
    1. Canada
    2. Suzuka
    3. Spa
    4. COTA
    5. Brazil
    Honorary mention: Hockenheim (Sector 3 is one of my favorites. Would've been killer in 2017 cars)

Worst:
    1. China (can't we throw out China instead of Malaysia?)
    2. Baku (which idiot let this on the calendar)
    3. Abu Dhabi (Trash layout, though I'm surprised the track isn't paved with gold from the oil magnates)
    4. Mexico (Its honestly a little like Russia, with all the stop-start, but a little worse bc of S3)
    5. Hungary (just too small for such fast cars)

I actually love Monaco for the challenge of it. I crash a lot in practice, but in quali, it just feels so good to put it on the edge and nail a lap.
    edited October 2017
    pijin said:
    Dang why do so many people hate COTA? It's literally the best Tilke track on the calendar aside from maybe Malaysia. I honestly find it almost as fun as Suzuka to drive this year. Same with Singapore. It feel its like Monaco but actually exciting since its higher speed and wider.
    It's not a Tilke track, it's a Tavo Hellmund track. And for me that's the problem - I normally like Tilke tracks as his tracks have more variety and flow than people give him credit for (just look at Sepang) and tend to catch out weak drivers (which can usually be said of people who put tracks like Singapore or Abu Dhabi on their bad list), whereas CotA is nothing more than an easy copycat circuit with no flow whatsoever, one that also single-handedly proves that mindless elevation changes do nothing to improve a track, especially for modern F1 cars.

Turn 1 is the only good thing about it as it promotes skillful passes and is good on lap 1 as well. Besides that, you've got a very cheap version of the esses (no skill in them, very easy to nail compared to the Suzuka ones), a few mindless hills and dips that don't actually aid the racing in any way, one of the absolute worst complexes on the calendar which promotes bad driving a la Alonso in 2016 (turns 13-15), an absolutely insulting inverted copy of Turkey's turn 8 which is far easier than T8 ever was, and otherwise very anonymous corners that don't lend themselves to good racing. I don't see anything good in it whatsoever - it might be good for bikes or for endurance cars, but F1 is the only motorsport I care about, and for F1, most American tracks, including CotA, are nothing short of terrible. At least it's not Laguna Seca, which really has nothing intelligent about it.

If you want tracks with good elevation changes, look no further than the likes of Floripa or other Brazilian tracks in AMS. A lot of them are awesome and significantly more skillful, especially when actually racing people.
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Co-Driver
    edited October 2017
    Top 5 not necessarily in order
    Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
    Nurburgring
    Magny Cours
    Hungaroring
    Silverstone

Bottom, can't think of 5
    Hockenheim (boring to race on)
    Yas Marina (boring to race on)
    Monte Carlo (2017 AI race this way too well! And just not a wheel to wheel track)
    Carystus PS4 Pro
    "The fact is I don't drive just to get from A to B. I enjoy feeling the car's reactions, becoming part of it." ~Enzo Ferrari
  • pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    edited October 2017
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_of_the_Americas

COTA is a Tilke track. Tavo Hellmund was the promoter and worked with Tilke for the layout, but he was not the track architect. And I still don’t see how you can love Suzuka’s esses but hate COTA. It’s higher speed and even more challenging in my opinion and gives me such a buzz when I hook it up. The whole first half of the track just flows so nicely for me. At T13-15 is brilliant because right after a braking zone, all those slow speed corners mean practically no dirty air and just a few turns of just trying to out-traction and out-brake your opponent. I think it's just wrong to say it promotes bad driving, it promotes good racing. Alonso is hardly an example for "bad driving" because there was no way he was getting past a Williams that had DRS on any other part of the circuit. Look at all the other passes that happen into the third sector like in 2012, 2014, and the numerous passes in 2015.

From what I've seen in real life as well, drivers like Alonso, Button, and Hamilton have praised it. Webber went so far as to put in his book that COTA is "one of the few new tracks that can hold its head high among the best F1 has to offer." Naturally, this is a game, and will certainly be different from experiencing it in reality, but I personally think it is pretty darn good.

To each his own, I suppose.
  • RaalteRaalte Member Race Steward
    edited October 2017
    @Coffer

Look at turn 1-2 from Sepang, Shanghai and Sakir. They're essentially the same. Only difference is the size. That's one of problems I have with Tilke tracks. Alot of corners are copied from other tracks.

As for COTA, I find the esses there more difficult than Suzuka.
    Xbox GT: F1XL Roland | Twitter: @raalte86

F1XL Moderator | F1XL S11 Overall Constructors Champion | F1XL F4 Racer | F1XL TO | F1XL Press & Steward | TWRL Admin | XFR F2 Racer | RFL F2 Racer

www.f1xl.co.uk | www.f1rivals.com | @TWRLRacing | @RFLF1League ;
    edited October 2017
    Raalte said:
    @Coffer

Look at turn 1-2 from Sepang, Shanghai and Sakir. They're essentially the same. Only difference is the size. That's one of problems I have with Tilke tracks. Alot of corners are copied from other tracks.

As for COTA, I find the esses there more difficult than Suzuka.
    You're driving poorly if you think they're the same. Shanghai and Sakhir are both much more extreme than Sepang's, though to opposite ends.

>As for COTA, I find the esses there more difficult than Suzuka.
    You're definitely driving poorly. And that's my main issue with CotA - the skill ceiling is very low.

pijin said:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_of_the_Americas

COTA is a Tilke track. Tavo Hellmund was the promoter and worked with Tilke for the layout, but he was not the track architect. And I still don’t see how you can love Suzuka’s esses but hate COTA. It’s higher speed and even more challenging in my opinion and gives me such a buzz when I hook it up. The whole first half of the track just flows so nicely for me. At T13-15 is brilliant because right after a braking zone, all those slow speed corners mean practically no dirty air and just a few turns of just trying to out-traction and out-brake your opponent. I think it's just wrong to say it promotes bad driving, it promotes good racing. Alonso is hardly an example for "bad driving" because there was no way he was getting past a Williams that had DRS on any other part of the circuit. Look at all the other passes that happen into the third sector like in 2012, 2014, and the numerous passes in 2015.

From what I've seen in real life as well, drivers like Alonso, Button, and Hamilton have praised it. Webber went so far as to put in his book that COTA is "one of the few new tracks that can hold its head high among the best F1 has to offer." Naturally, this is a game, and will certainly be different from experiencing it in reality, but I personally think it is pretty darn good.

To each his own, I suppose.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120426215922/http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/turn-for-turn-austin-tracks-design-layout-should-2321735.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

Your very source contradicts you. Hellmund is the designer. Tilke just oversaw its construction and had no input in the layout.

>And I still don’t see how you can love Suzuka’s esses but hate COTA.
    As I previously mentioned, it's significantly easier, partly because of the higher speeds. It's much easier to nail the apexes and get a good line. If it gives you a buzz, you're not nailing it well enough. You could even say this about a lot of other corners in the 2017 cars, which are much too easy to drive no matter the sim.

>At T13-15 is brilliant because right after a braking zone, all those slow speed corners mean practically no dirty air and just a few turns of just trying to out-traction and out-brake your opponent.
    If you are in any way competent and don't have an outright worse car like Massa did against Alonso last year, you're just going to outdrag them either way, especially if you're good on the throttle like drivers like Vettel and Hamilton tend to be. The only real time you're going to have a proper battle on your hands is either on lap 1 when everyone's still somewhat bunched up enough or if you're a dirty driver like Alonso was last year.

>Alonso is hardly an example for "bad driving" because there was no way he was getting past a Williams that had DRS on any other part of the circuit.
    So he instead did it by breaking Massa's car with a ridiculous move that, when the stewarding was significantly more competent 10-15 years ago, would've gotten him a penalty. Welcome to a sport where bad driving has not only become the norm (Ricciardo, Verstappen), it's even encouraged (Red Bull heavily advocating the new steward leniency prior to the start of 2017). I don't recall Massa doing anything dirty when he was stuck behind a slower Alonso all race at Spa due to the McLaren's incredible downforce carrying it in S2.

>From what I've seen in real life as well, drivers like Alonso, Button, and Hamilton have praised it. Webber went so far as to put in his book that COTA is "one of the few new tracks that can hold its head high among the best F1 has to offer."
    That's not saying much and is a logical fallacy. Their opinions are far from the only ones, and given the lack of skill of 3 of those 4 drivers on Tilkedromes (all but Hamilton) and at Suzuka (all but Button), if anything it's just a simple case of a bad track catering to them more than usual. Them being good doesn't make them more valid either (hence the fallacy), as Alonso and Hamilton are both worse than Vettel, who, last I heard, has no real opinion on it despite loving Suzuka. (And it's even wrong as Button and Webber were very mediocre drivers relative to the top drivers of the current millenium or the likes of Prost and Lauda.)