Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The physics in this are impressive.

Comments

• Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Wheel Nut
    aero shouldnt effect cars under 50 mph i thought
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    the newer cars are like go karts. so well engineered now.
    Yeah thats true and its a fun game.Just wish the cars were more slippy 
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 6
    well when i watch 2017 WRC footage it seems the drivers really "hang out" the back,and on throttle oversteer seems easy to do for them.Im having hard time in WRC7 to find tail happy(on gravel) setup

Sliding is tough in WRC 7. It's similar to Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo. You need to set up the turn-in perfectly, play with the weight under braking and carry the correct speed into the turn. And while sliding you need constant throttle control/modulation and steering input to keep it going, and maybe a tap on the brake if the car starts gripping too much. If you are having trouble I suggest this:
    1. Lock the rear differential to reduce grip in the rear of the car.
    2. Stiffen rear suspension a bit
    3. Move brake bias towards the rear to upset the car more under braking
    4. Increase handbrake power if you use it in hairpins
    5. Start with the R5 and 2016 cars until you become accustomed to the game's nuances. It's never easy jumping between rally games, especially over to the beastly 2017 cars. They are a real handful.
    On tarmac most of the cars feel very understeery to me. I correct that with brake bias all the way to the rear and mostly unlocked diff in front and semi-locked in rear.

You are correct, aero doesn't affect grip at low speeds, but the 2017 cars also have more mechanical grip than previous years.
    Thanks for that and your thoughts.......................ill play around tonight :)
  • MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    edited October 6
    Hengist said:
    Αnd Hengist you abvisously go too slow in the first video you uploaded in this topic , why this??
    Yup, I was going slow, hence my reference to being out on a Sunday drive. The reason for this was that I had just got the game, and like any rally game that I buy, I like to take it slowly at first, to test what the car is capable of doing. Once I'm comfortable with it, that's when I up the ante and go 'full McRae', as I also previously mentioned.

I realise that some people may jump in with full throttle mode on, but I don't, it's just how I've always approached any decent racing title, be it track based or off-road. Also, the nerd in me, secretly enjoys this 'testing' phase of owning a new title.  :)

MiatakiasGR said:convence people that this is a sim game with great physics as the tittle says? 

I still maintain that the 'physics are impressive', as the title stated.
     Fair enough...

LudwigVonMises said : Sliding is tough in WRC 7. It's similar to Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo.

I really believe that Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO was very decent rally game with much content and better than any WRC game from 1 to 7..
    I wish Milestone had created a SLRE 2 instead of this terrible Gravel game .... :(

• KevMKevM Member Champion
    well when i watch 2017 WRC footage it seems the drivers really "hang out" the back,and on throttle oversteer seems easy to do for them.Im having hard time in WRC7 to find tail happy(on gravel) setup

Sliding is tough in WRC 7. It's similar to Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo. You need to set up the turn-in perfectly, play with the weight under braking and carry the correct speed into the turn. And while sliding you need constant throttle control/modulation and steering input to keep it going, and maybe a tap on the brake if the car starts gripping too much. If you are having trouble I suggest this:
    5. Start with the R5 and 2016 cars until you become accustomed to the game's nuances. It's never easy jumping between rally games, especially over to the beastly 2017 cars. They are a real handful.
    On tarmac most of the cars feel very understeery to me. I correct that with brake bias all the way to the rear and mostly unlocked diff in front and semi-locked in rear.

You are correct, aero doesn't affect grip at low speeds, but the 2017 cars also have more mechanical grip than previous years.
    Yes, WRC 7 does the exact same as D4 in tuning the cars, as standard, to lean more toward understeer.  This makes the cars easier to pick up & play.  Thing is, they do it with a setup that can be altered to eliminate the understeer really nicely.  Where as, the D4 car model seems to have the understeer/rear grip overload actually hard-wired into the model.  That’s the difference.

In WRC 7, you can really change the balance of the car in setup & really play with the balance when driving the car.  Such fun!!
  • HengistHengist Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 7
    KevM said:
    the D4 car model seems to have the understeer/rear grip overload actually hard-wired into the model.  That’s the difference.

In WRC 7, you can really change the balance of the car in setup & really play with the balance when driving the car.  Such fun!!
    Having the ability to change the brake bias on WRC cars, so that the back end doesn't always automatically trip out in corners (as portrayed in some titles), is a nice feature to have.  :)

Hengist.

My (no advertisements) tube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Fd4uRDjTFn1dr3gHVPFnw

KevM said:

Yes, WRC 7 does the exact same as D4 in tuning the cars, as standard, to lean more toward understeer.  This makes the cars easier to pick up & play.  Thing is, they do it with a setup that can be altered to eliminate the understeer really nicely.  Where as, the D4 car model seems to have the understeer/rear grip overload actually hard-wired into the model.  That’s the difference.

thanks ill try!
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    Loaded it up yesterday...........................its no sim ,but has a certain fun factor.cars are way too stable ,and fast.Stop way too quick,with no instability and much weight to them.It is better than all WRC titles before ,though.Seems tuning options are just a gimmick,not lending much to difference in feel.
    Graphics on PS4 are lacking in sharpness compared to Dirt and PC2.

Keep in mind that the 2017 cars have much more grip, braking power and acceleration than the 2016 cars. However, as you can see in my comparison video the braking and acceleration are exaggerated in the game, while grip seems lower than in real life. Maybe you need some more hours with the game because when you push hard it's really easy to mess up. The 2017 cars, yes, they are stable, just as IRL, but they are very difficult to drive on the limit. Try the 2016 cars; they have more of a DiRT Rally feel to them.

Setups are definitely not a gimmick. Suspension, differentials and brake balance are the biggies and produce the desired effects depending on how you tune.

I am on PS4 Pro. Good God those 30fps! But it looks quite nice in 2K. Better than D4 but not at DR level, but the draw distance is fantastic and there is loads of trackside details.
    Don't get us started with on throttle oversteer again please :D
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • SlowishSlowish Member Wheel Nut
    Throttle over-steer is just a myth, at least in Rally. ;)

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1

• SamRWDSamRWD Member Petrol Head
    Slowish said:

You mean power slide doesnt exist in rallying?
    SamRWD said:
    Slowish said:

You mean power slide doesnt exist in rallying?

According to some in these discussions - no. 

I get that it may not be the fastest, most efficient way to drive but, it should be possible in many cars. Exaggerated grip-levels (whether cause or symptom) in games have other drawbacks in regard to how grip is perceived through the FFB as well and it's evident in every single title that utilizes it. It's simply a way to make these games more accessible to the masses and it's just easier to develop than advanced and more refined handling models that can take a decade or more to evolve.

In every case, the titles that have such refined tire models with good fundamental physics also have the least amount of FFB settings and achieve similar excellent results with high-end hardware needing only two adjustments for the wheel; FFB strength and one filter setting. They also have grip-levels / slip angles that allow for more realistic handling and feature excellent balance characteristics on the edge.

When the fundamentals are sound, the suspension and steering-system models provide the proper FFB to the point where the hardware being used becomes the real variable in the results, not the game FFB settings.  I expect iRacing will be the first true Simulation that develops a proper model in regard to grip levels and soft-surface behavior with their Dirt-track and RallyX content and it may even lead to further improvements in their tarmac handling.

SMS may also get to that point but, their tire-models & FFB systems have some issues to be solved to reach that level. If the intent is there on part of the developers, there is a chance they could make a great Rally / Sim title one day.

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1

I was just saying that all this talk of 2017 cars on rails,but yet watching WRC + all weekend ,its for sure that all cars are set up "lose' on gravel and have no issues going sideways.And yes i know about "setting' the car up before the corner.
  • danielofifidanielofifi Member Unleaded
    I'm going to dig up the thread, because I've been playing this game for a few days and it's impressive! After tweaking the FFB for hours I finally got it right and it feels really good (I can share if someone's interested. I play on T150). Sure it's simcade, the handling isn't as deep as DR or RBR, but it yields a lot of fun and satisfaction. Other things I like:
    - awesome stages
    - great sound (engines, tires on gravel)
    - co pilot sounds lame, but the pacenotes themselves are spot on 
    - eSports events
    - Rally Poland, because I'm Polish. :)

I find the difficulty really challenging. I'm actually surprised because I can drive and be competitive on highest difficulty levels in RBR and DR, and yet here I find myself having to push really hard just to win on... medium difficulty. :open_mouth:

Anyways, best officially licensed WRC title since the PlayStation 2 era, period.  
  • HengistHengist Member Wheel Nut
    edited November 9
    I've been playing this game for a few days and it's impressive!   
    I'm glad that you're enjoying it mate and are seeing, in the game, the same qualities which I also noted.

I can understand peoples reluctance to try this title, due to the previous 5 & 6 iterations (which weren't great), but to condem WRC7 out of 'sim snobbery' is not really appropriate. It's a really good, and dare I say, belivable Rally title, from the physics down to the stages.

I just wish it had a PSVR mode, like DiRT Rally.

Hengist.

My (no advertisements) tube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Fd4uRDjTFn1dr3gHVPFnw

• teknoid85teknoid85 Member Wheel Nut
    i've also wrc 7     
    the pro's:
    beautiful stages  nice phtsics, specially on tarmac

the cons:
    no weight transfers  (like in dirt rally)      the cars have no weight
    the  graphics  are raw and unpolished
    those shitty  camera  that shake with bumps  (what a mess)
    no setup saving and sharing

kylotonn  has no idea how to polish and fine-tune games like codemasters have done with dirt rally
    i'm dreaming about  dirt rally 2   with the same gravel physics  of dirt rally   and similiar tarmac  physics  like  in wrc 7

I've finally deleted WRC7 after getting tired of waiting with no response from the dev's on controller support issues. It's too bad that they can't seem to figure out how controllers should work in Windows.

You guys get the heavy floaty slow reacting steering feeling in WRC7? i do...............
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    You guys get the heavy floaty slow reacting steering feeling in WRC7? i do...............
    I assume you're using a steering wheel, which degrees of rotation do you use? I think turning it down to 540° could help
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve