Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 4 feels abandoned

DestimDestim Member New Car Smell
I had very high hopes for this game, i enjoyed the game for how it was.
Loved the trophy truck/rallycross physics/parcours..... the rally, not so much.
The game could've been way more succesfull if it had a lot more fun multiplayer events, like breakout in dirt 3.

I basically bought a wheel for dirt rally cuz it was that good, but ended up being a dissapointed with dirt 4, nobody plays it anymore.
And i feel that's because dirt 4 is something that doesn't know what it wants to be, you guys focused on making dirt 4 to be a game for everyone.
It might be the case why it might so plain after playing for about 30 hours.

Meanwhile my wheel will be waiting in my closet till something will happen.
I'm not mad, but quite sad.

Edit: this was the first and last game i pre-ordered from any dev team.
Rig: msi gaming 5 z97 / i7-4790k @ 4.6 Ghz / evga gtx 980 FTW / Corsair h100i v2 cpu cooler / Be quiet! silent base 800 case / corsair 2x8 DDR3 1600 Dominator plat / corsair rm650x / samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD / wd black 1tb HDD / windows 10 x64 pro /  pheriperals: corsair k70 keyboard, razer naga mouse, logitech g920 steering wheel

Comments

• LariosoDogLariosoDog Member New Car Smell
    If playing on PC and maybe Steam online play is free and should encourage online play more than consoles that require annual subscriptions for online play. So if it's that bad is really low grades on the game itself.

Being on console GranTurismo5 had this timetrial weekly online - and was free in those days. What you had in tracks is pretty much how I read people see tracks on D4 - you recognize the same turns in there as the track designer is bound to use blocks.

And seing how many bugs reported in D4 that I found in DR - means this is the same game with the same code for the most part. Just two new RX locations compared to DR etc. Those two could just as well been DLC on DR instead.

Why repeat yourself to that degree and still sell as new game - this is just about the money, not driven by people that love racing.

Something that feels new and different is needed to boost interest, I think.

To me Dirt 2 is the best racing game, and still throw disk in on Xbox 360. Everything was open world kind of, and racing the same event XP went down and you saw other events that you did not think so much about from start, but since there was much more XP left to earn on those - you ran these too and appreciated the experience.

This is a good game both satisfying what you know you like, and also finding new evens that you come to like.

I tend to abandon games that have strict career modes like most have. You must end third or you are not getting any further, and things like that. To explore a new game you want to run crap races at first and still get new stuff to try. Dirt 3 stopped me from doing that. Forza stop me from doing that etc.

What real racing events are built like that - three drivers continue to race on next level?
    Then you should be able to run the same race as different drivers to make up the next event.
    Then you start having fun - you can do crap in some races and better in some and sum up 3,5 or 7 races or similar to see where you are. But not ever having to finish third to do next race - where is the psychology driving that? When starting off I think I did same race 20 times in Forza 6 before ending third and could do next event - it's plain silly approach. You are all new to the car - and have a lot to learn - but have to run the same race over and over - how much fun is that.

So how it all was put together - Dirt 2 is my game - still to this day. RX and LastManStanding are among the most fun events struggling side by side with other contestants. Rally is more loner game - you are on the slope all by yourself. RX is also really good way and getting to know the cars - and handling them since you run many laps in one event - and can learn specifics what a car can handle and how to drive it. You go by improving lap times - more than anything else. Where you end up in terms of position matter less when you start. Dirt 2 was really good at allowing that.

A mystery to me why career mode has you must end third or similar to move on like too many games have. That kind of Cup approach is not a good part to boost a lot of gameplay.

In DR I also think there was a bug in terms of difficulty on AI. I turned off every assist I could find - and it seems to increase AI performance - even not running the hardest levels. I ran pretty good RX races - and still was left behind. I saw a thread about this on forum - so I was not alone thinking this.

But sometimes developer studios are just to create another sequel whether they really bring something new or not. And that is not easy. I've seen it on Golf games that they just continue to complicate things - not adding more important things like Golf courses all over the world. They go by a little part of the most well known PGA Tour courses - which matter not so much. Is that for little kids that want to imagine they are the professionals.

And to make games you also need to have knowledge of the psychology that drives interest. It's too much about the money - and too little thought put into the games.

Categorize gamers and let everybody have enough for each category. Both for age and types of events and how career modes are made.
    Dirt 2 | Dirt 3 | F1 2011 | Dirt Rally Legend | Xbox
  • HengistHengist Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 7
    I remember DiRT 4. I still have it in my collection, somewhere.  

Hengist.

My (no advertisements) tube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Fd4uRDjTFn1dr3gHVPFnw

• DestimDestim Member New Car Smell
    Rip..... i don't want to go back to Dirt rally because i played it so much, but i can't think of any better rally game than DR.
    Rig: msi gaming 5 z97 / i7-4790k @ 4.6 Ghz / evga gtx 980 FTW / Corsair h100i v2 cpu cooler / Be quiet! silent base 800 case / corsair 2x8 DDR3 1600 Dominator plat / corsair rm650x / samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD / wd black 1tb HDD / windows 10 x64 pro /  pheriperals: corsair k70 keyboard, razer naga mouse, logitech g920 steering wheel
  • MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    edited October 8
    I agree that DIRT 2 is the best between 4 DIRT games ( Dirt Rally not included)
    One of the best combo there Nissan Z in bloody Malaysia... Really fun!
    And Dirt Rally the best rally sim ever but early abandoned...
  • DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    I find this kinda interesting. If you could compare 5 games, DiRT 3 Complete Edition would be slightly above DiRT Rally, but it has had much more time to build a userbase and that big giveaway also probably helped.
    Also, If you combined SLRE, WRC5, WRC6 and WRC7, they all together only get about half of what DiRT4 gets. I didn't really have a point to this... :D  

i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • cjl9cjl9 Member Pit Crew
    Destim said:
    "but i can't think of any better rally game than DR."
    What he said!
  • GerbieGerbie Member Unleaded
    I have all the Dirt games including the Showdown spin-off, but Dirt 2 and 3 does it for me.
    Having put close to 13 hours into Dirt 4, i feel that it is stale empty and just fairly boring to me, i honestly have put waaay more hours into Dirt Rally than Dirt 4, and even with Dirt Rally i am not that content as when i was with Dirt 2 and 3.

Having Dirt 4 in my collection, i just cant bring myself to play it much, Project Cars 2 already has more than double the time played and it is a new game.

I sincerely hope they make a game like Dirt 2 and 3 again.
    Ride Hard, Or Go Home - If In Doubt.... Flat Out!
    edited October 10
    Gerbie said:
    I sincerely hope they make a game like Dirt 2 and 3 again.
    Where Dirt 2 blossom and shine is how the world was there at the map - and you could easily see what might be unlocked, and how much XP there is to earn doing already unlocked stuff in other parts of the world.

I did not play Dirt 3 enough to get anywhere - but in Dirt 2 there were these suprices and challenges that came up with time trials to Ken Block and similar. 

And I don't remember there were events that unlocked stuff in Dirt 2, but leveling that did. And this was governed by XP, that you always got something from every event.

Everything was so well put together in Dirt 2. And good music track as well. I just loved watch a replay of an event I was satisfied with and good music to that.

Dirt 3 start with a boring menu kind of approach. I tried 3-4 times to get anywhere - but fail. I will pick it up in between and try again - but you really had to finish 3rd or whatever it was to unlock stuff.

Sometimes I feel they do changes with no real thought put into it.
  • PorkhammerPorkhammer Member Champion
    edited October 10
    Everything was so well put together in Dirt 2.
    A bit too americanized for my personal liking. It's a good game, but way too americanized.

Dirt 3 managed to be even worse.
    "it's the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are"
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    Dirt 2 while could be fun was a bit too yo dawg and the gui and menus and windows live :#

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    A bit too americanized for my personal liking. It's a good game, but way too americanized.

I agree and disagree with your post! DiRT 2 was by far the most Americanized game in the series to me. I thought DiRT 3 was a huge step back in the right direction... though the inclusion of Christian Stephenson in the menus was a massive negative! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• BadD0gBadD0g Member Team Principal
    edited October 11
    tbtstt said:

I agree and disagree with your post! DiRT 2 was by far the most Americanized game in the series to me. I thought DiRT 3 was a huge step back in the right direction... though the inclusion of Christian Stephenson in the menus was a massive negative! 
    Christian basically ruined the game tbh  :D
    I thought Dirt 2 was a fun racing game, but not a good rally game. I liked it better than 3 because it felt more fully realized, if that makes sense - they had a specific theme they were going for and they pulled it off successfully I think. I didn't get that same sense of "theme" in Dirt 3. It always felt a little weird to me, like it took place in an alternate reality where the only person on earth that mattered was Ken Block and he turned all motorsport into his own personal playground. 

Somewhat related to the topic: I think Dirt 3 had the longest post-launch support period (not counting Dirt Rally), right? There were quite a few car packs and the Monte Carlo DLC that came later on.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
    edited October 11
    I'm not sure what is meant by "americanized" in dirt 2 other than that RX events has somewhat bigger venue than european ones where each spectator can see the whole track. European ones is two roundabouts basically and really boring.

Event were in america, europe and asia - so what is so american about it?
    Yes, no rally in sweden and finland, is that it?

Cars were from all over the world.

I played Dirt 2 on PS3 2010 at first - bought as new. Ran until level 35 or so at casual. When I got 360 I only found it used - and don't know what I missed in DLC. But run on hardest and are at level 20 or so. And last time I ran it was just 1-2 months ago, on 360 still.

I tried BC on X1 for Dirt 3 - but felt delay in controller emulating - so when to do next on D3 will be on 360.
    I will explore DR more likely than D3. And a lot to learn about tuning in F6 so will have a go at that between the pure fun of D2..
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    basically its not the actual racing its the DUDE BRO IM KEN BLOCK DUDE LOOK AT MY DUDE BRO antics.inbetween doing events or just starting events.the game was pretty fun but dirt 2/3 were pure arcade just foot to floor. Dirt 1 in my opinion was actually better probably closer to Dirt rally. thats the thing about games everyone like different things :)
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    I'm not sure what is meant by "americanized" in dirt 2 other than that RX events has somewhat bigger venue than european ones where each spectator can see the whole track. European ones is two roundabouts basically and really boring.

For me the "Americanized" label comes from both the presentation and the content of the game.

The major events in the game were all X-Games (which, I admit, did briefly go global, but it still primarily an American thing) and most of the big names included in the game were American as well. A lot of the speech - specifically during the racing - was very "DudeBro" and, to me, didn't belong in a rally/off road game. I thought the car list was a bit patchy as well: a couple of the cars that were included seemed rather out of place. 

Still, don't get me wrong, as much as I dislike that aspect of DiRT 2 I think it was an appropriate direction for the game at that time. The cars were so much better to drive than DiRT as well so, at the time, it became my preferred DiRT game. For me DiRT 2 bought home how horrid the handling in D1 was. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• SlowishSlowish Member Wheel Nut
    What made Dirt 2 playable much longer for me was the grip-reduction mod; reduce grip by 15% and it was like a whole different game. :)

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1