Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The Sports Update patch - 1.8 for consoles, 1.9 for PC - Discussion Thread - UPDATED 13/10

Comments

• CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    edited October 11
    sebasdenb said:
    kelsh003 said:
    Am I right in hearing that we don't get our own three letter acronym on the sides of the cars that have that in real life? Feel that is going to look really weird for some people in career mode, driving a Haas with GRO on the side when my own TLA would be KEL. If the numbers are ours thats cool but I do hope the TLA is too. But I am assuming that isn't the case?
    I really hope this isn't the case.. could someone confirm?
    Can confirm that the acronym is completely missing for your driver. The numbers are always the correct ones, but in the case of the Haas for instance, the bit that says GRO on the fin is completely grey for your driver.
  • massa88massa88 Member Unleaded
    thanks Codemasters for this patch
    stunning work
  • Flazh92Flazh92 Member Wheel Nut
    Coffer said:
    sebasdenb said:
    kelsh003 said:
    Am I right in hearing that we don't get our own three letter acronym on the sides of the cars that have that in real life? Feel that is going to look really weird for some people in career mode, driving a Haas with GRO on the side when my own TLA would be KEL. If the numbers are ours thats cool but I do hope the TLA is too. But I am assuming that isn't the case?
    Can confirm that the acronym is completely missing for your driver. The numbers are always the correct ones, but in the case of the Haas for instance, the bit that says GRO on the fin is completely grey for your driver.
    And here we are again, the lack of details by CM.. Little dissapointed tbh.
    Flazh92 said:
    Coffer said:
    sebasdenb said:
    kelsh003 said:
    It is pretty bloody weird and lazy of them, yeah. Considering they can put the numbers everywhere they need to just fine (as seen via the Ferrari's shark fin having the correct number for your driver), I don't get why they couldn't do the exact same thing for the acronyms.
  • LightningFast90LightningFast90 Member Wheel Nut
    Good news on such a comprehensive patch, pity I am only halfway through a 3 month long field work stint...lucky if I get a phone signal here let alone access to a PC. Though given a choice between F1 2017 and digging up megafauna fossils in a Paleolithic cave complex, I would always choose the latter LOL :D
    Gratia infinitum sub metum, victroriam ad celeritas et potentia per aspera.

Crisp Whites 
    Fossils
    Fast Cars

Dislikes:
    Undergrads
    Soft Cheese
    Flies, Spiders and Snakes
    Double Negatives

Hi, I am currently AWOL from the forums, I am engaged in field work within the Naracoorte cave complex in South Australia. I am working up to my neck in dirt and mud in a cave no higher than 1 metre and absolutely loving it...bones, bones, bones everywhere! Ahh the life of a Paleontologist, not at all glamorous but definitely interesting.
    The numbers are textures which are already within the game; abbreviations/acronyms of names would be much harder to implement and would require a significant amount of coding to implement as these are not 'textures' as such.
    The only issue I see with that is that it would, at most, require 26^3 textures. The fact that they're not simply using the team fonts to generate these is, however, a tell-tale sign of bad code, as I previously thought that was exactly what they were doing with the numbers.
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Pit Crew
    Coffer said:
    It is pretty bloody weird and lazy of them, yeah. Considering they can put the numbers everywhere they need to just fine (as seen via the Ferrari's shark fin having the correct number for your driver), I don't get why they couldn't do the exact same thing for the acronyms.
    The reason why the acronyms haven't been implemented is simply due to the way it has to be implemented. All the 'information' or 'logos' or 'numbers' etc are textures by default.

You may say "Well how come we can have our own chosen number, but not name abbreviations?"....well let me explain.
    The numbers are textures which are already within the game; abbreviations/acronyms of names would be much harder to implement and would require a significant amount of coding to implement as these are not 'textures' as such.
    It's not just about placing a texture onto the car or anything else which would have the acronyms placed on; it's the coding of the game which is the issue.

The only possible way to have your abbreviation or acronym on the car would be to 'modify' the default texture within the game which has the original 'real' drivers name.

So in essence, if you have a console this of course is a problem; however for PC users, this is possible but very difficult as has been shown in the Racedepartment modding forums.

TL/DR So because the game engine is crap, it won't work. They've used the file format for the textures to make modding less straightforward and by this trivial attempt to discourage modding (no doubt at the behest of the licensee or IP holders) shot themselves in the foot. GG.
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    S14 F1 '17 F7 Car: Ferrari Team-mate: Partyfuchs
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|GTX970 4GB|Win10x64|Logitech G920 (GTEye Spring Mod)/G430 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

Coffer said:
    The reason why the acronyms haven't been implemented is simply due to the way it has to be implemented. All the 'information' or 'logos' or 'numbers' etc are textures by default.

You may say "Well how come we can have our own chosen number, but not name abbreviations?"....well let me explain.
    It's not just about placing a texture onto the car or anything else which would have the acronyms placed on; it's the coding of the game which is the issue.

The only possible way to have your abbreviation or acronym on the car would be to 'modify' the default texture within the game which has the original 'real' drivers name.

So in essence, if you have a console this of course is a problem; however for PC users, this is possible but very difficult as has been shown in the Racedepartment modding forums.

TL/DR So because the game engine is crap, it won't work. They've used the file format for the textures to make modding less straightforward and by this trivial attempt to discourage modding (no doubt at the behest of the licensee or IP holders) shot themselves in the foot. GG.
    To be fair, they did just disable the saving protection that was blocking ERP files from being modded now that the eSports semifinals are out of the way. Barring that though, yeah, it's a combined case of incompetence on their part and malevolence on the FIA's part.
  • PrinceVlad1888PrinceVlad1888 Member Unleaded
    edited October 11
    Coffer said:
    The only issue I see with that is that it would, at most, require 26^3 textures. The fact that they're not simply using the team fonts to generate these is, however, a tell-tale sign of bad code, as I previously thought that was exactly what they were doing with the numbers.
    I can understand your frustrations and the need for accuracy, however sometimes it's other constraints that prevent developers from doing these implementations.
    Also, coming from an assembly programming background, i can tell you that producing ANY game requires very talented programmers in order to just create the game/simulation, and the public in general who just go out and purchase the product do not have an understanding about what actually goes into producing it.

You also have to take into account those behind the scenes of Codemasters F1 products...(Yes FOM and TPTB)
    'I am the last of my kind...'
    Coffer said:
    I can understand your frustrations and the need for accuracy, however sometimes it's other constraints that prevent developers from doing these implementations.
    Also, coming from an assembly programming background, i can tell you that producing ANY game requires very talented programmers in order to just create the game/simulation, and the public in general who just go out and purchase the product do not have an understanding about what actually goes into producing it.

You also have to take into account those behind the scenes of Codemasters F1 products...(Yes FOM and TPTB)
    I'm also a programmer. This stuff wouldn't fly at my workplace, even accounting for the vile nature of the FIA or CM's time constraints (and this issue honestly has nothing to do with them).
    Coffer said:

There's always a way....It's all in the code remember that!
  • Flazh92Flazh92 Member Wheel Nut
    Coffer said:

I don't understand much about coding, and if it is really hard to code I totally understand but still not tolerate it . Because some people really like details in games and there are some companys which can provide that. Since codies is not that big compared to others, I thought they would look much more into stuff like that to seperate them from others.

Some stuff I do at work is also really hard to do, but still I try and figure out ways to solve them.. I don't want to sound ignorent or something, I appreciate the game and the hard work the developers put into the game even though it has its flaws, but things like that would be much more appreciated if they would done that without us telling them to do it.
  • KevRusskiKevRusski Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 11
    Come back with actual bugs that aren’t fixed with proof after 1.9.

Drama queens is right.
    I dont know about anyone else, but after providing videos and test information with regard to many bugs over the last few patches, Ive got bored of testing for them. I bought this game a month ago and can no longer really be arsed, its that much of a mess online, where I play in a league.

I will see what the feedback is like here before I give it another shot, but for me personally, I aint spending my time collating video clips and posting them with comments only for them to ignore it.

I reserve judgement because right now, I have lost my trust and faith in it.
    Post edited by KevRusski on
  • chen255chen255 Member Wheel Nut
    Coffer said:
    Flazh92 said:
    Coffer said:
    sebasdenb said:
    kelsh003 said:
    I remember waaaay back on an early WRC rally game on PS2, your surname would appear on the rear window of the rally car you were driving just like in real life . That was so cool. How on earth did they manage that so long ago?
    chen255 said:
    I remember waaaay back on an early WRC rally game on PS2, your surname would appear on the rear window of the rally car you were driving just like in real life . That was so cool. How on earth did they manage that so long ago?
    There are quite a few games which have been produced that are capable of doing the said implementation, it's not just the coding...

• TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member New Car Smell
    Is there any possible way that in career mode, I can just park to the side of the track? In other modes I can, but sometimes in career mode (Monaco, for example), I'm crashing all the time and therefore would like to see the race play out rather than cheating to "simulate session" or merely retiring (either one of those simply results in the usual suspects being in the top 4, regardless of where they were on the grid (or on track when I aborted the race).

Up until F1 2014, I could always do this. Why take this feature out of the game? You have any idea how annoying it is to constantly have to be on the controller so you don't get DQed for being parked in a "dangerous location" (which I rarely am)? Surely there can be an option in career mode to turn off that particular rule because the timer is even worse in F12017 than for 2016 or 15!
  • davidbassildavidbassil Member New Car Smell
    Did hamilton helmet been upgraded ti the full yellow and red instead of white at the top? Can anyone of the pc player confirm this?