Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

I think the roads could be improved

You need to let us full throttle sometimes for a bigger distance, it's fun to go fast! I also think the sides of the roads are too unforgiving. It's often very narrow. If you just touch the side of the road (which looks like gravel or snow) your car will hit it like it hits a wall and will sometimes flip over. I think it would be better if you flattened out the sides of some roads. And it's not very natural looking when the gravel and snow "wall" is all along the roads for miles. I hope you understand what I mean, otherwise I'll post a picture.

Comments

• austinbaustinb Member Pit Crew
    Its supposed to be like that, unfortunately for you the majority of people playing this game have been waiting for the roads to be like this, which is more authentic to real rally. In fact a lot of people would like the stages to be even narrower sometimes. If its too much for you Dirt3 is the place to head!
    Random User
  • zawalzawal Member New Car Smell
    austinb said:
    Its supposed to be like that, unfortunately for you the majority of people playing this game have been waiting for the roads to be like this, which is more authentic to real rally. In fact a lot of people would like the stages to be even narrower sometimes. If its too much for you Dirt3 is the place to head!
    I think exactly as you.
    Rally gamer !!!

spec : i5 3570 / 660 nvida /16 gb ram / graphique full élevé en 1920/1080
  • Aerium88Aerium88 Member New Car Smell
    Okay, but if people want the roads to be narrow, which I could understand. Then the gravel and snow shouldn't have brick wall physics :D
  • wildcatdavewildcatdave Member New Car Smell
    I'm in the middle here. I I think both of you make good points. I appreciate the more stringent standards like real rally stages which they're doing currently in the game. But I have also had a few instances where I clipped something on the side of the road that was so tiny I didn't even see it and it literally flipped my car over. I could understand if it would grab the wheel and spin me out but I've gone airborne end over end when I didn't even see anything on the side of the road. That could just be a glitch in the game and I may need to try to remember what stage that was on. However I think they do need to carefully look at what's on the side of the road and make sure that the physics of running into it are accurate. That said I don't mind the toughness that it brings, forcing you to stay definitely on the course. If I want to screw around a little more I have dirt 3 installed and I'll hop into that. Kind of like comparing Forza  to iRacing, which I play both of those as well. One is just for fun the other is tough and that makes it enjoyable.
  • austinbaustinb Member Pit Crew
    I would say that snow banks could be simulated better as you would sink into them rather than bouncing over the top of them (not that you should be able to drive through a snow bank with ease, it should pull you in and  quickly to a stop) As for some small things at the side of the road, i think the smallest of rocks should be more forgiving but anything taller than 6 inches should cause problems, real world rally drivers get caught out by hidden rocks or bumps at the edge of the road all the time. I actually think that the damage should be more realistic too so if you do hit a huge rock you're out, but the damage model could be something thats adjustable
    Random User
  • Aerium88Aerium88 Member New Car Smell
    I agree. This is what I mean. As I've said, I could understand hardcore rally fans want narrow roads. But please let rocks be rocks and totally destroy your car... and snow and gravel be just snow and gravel :)
  • SkunkmeisterSkunkmeister Member Unleaded
    I like how narrow the roads are but agree that snow and gravel should be more soft than a solid wall.

• chillisteakchillisteak Member New Car Smell
    austinb said:
    I would say that snow banks could be simulated better as you would sink into them rather than bouncing over the top of them (not that you should be able to drive through a snow bank with ease, it should pull you in and  quickly to a stop) As for some small things at the side of the road, i think the smallest of rocks should be more forgiving but anything taller than 6 inches should cause problems, real world rally drivers get caught out by hidden rocks or bumps at the edge of the road all the time. I actually think that the damage should be more realistic too so if you do hit a huge rock you're out, but the damage model could be something thats adjustable
    Totally agree with this post! 

Processor: AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 | Videocard: AMD HD 7950 | Gamepad: Logitech G25 + Clubsport V2 |
    Network Card: Asus PCE-N15 Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Sound Card/Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 | Monitor/s: Asus VN247H 24" Super Narrow Bezel
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 16GB DDR3 | PSU: OCW 650W | Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech G510 + Madcatz R.A.T 3 | OS: Windows 7 x64
  • BigbazzBigbazz Member, Drivers Unleaded

You been to Rally Wales? I live within a few minutes of the Margam stage and spent my childhood mountain biking up there, been to a few rallies too (Mintex and WRC) over the years. So it's with that I can say that the game is incredibly accurate in this regard, it feels like my childhood to see this game and how accurately it portrays the forests I grew up in.

I understand that it's challenging but a real rally game should be, this is how it is in the real world, it's incredibly narrow and it's incredibly unforgiving, but as a result it's also incredibly exciting and rewarding to master.