Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt Rally 2 News

Let's talk about the upcoming Dirt Rally 2 here. :)

- mesa -

https://www.facebook.com/MesasArtworks
More liveries / mods of mine at
http://mesasartworks.hu

Logitech G27 w OMP 350 mm

Comments

• adsadsadsadsadsads Member Unleaded
    It would need to be the single greatest driving game ever made by a huge margin for me to even consider picking it up in a sale.
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Wheel Nut
    Szia Mesa!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was there any annoucements yet? 
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Race Steward
    They don't need to do a Dirt Rally 2. Just DLC for Rally with more stages. Sure there are some issues with Dirt Rally, but fixing them will only make a microscopic proportion of the userbase happy - and many of the issues are subjective anyway.

IMO Dirt Rally has cult status. The uptake rate of DLC as a percentage of sales will be much higher than normal DLC uptake rates.
    im all onboard with Dirt Rally DLCs.....................would be a nice way to inject life into it and longevity
    All the environment artists must have very little to do anyway because the F1 tracks are not changing. They're probably chilling out drinking coffee and eating donuts.
    LOL.......................4 month long coffee break!!!!!!! lets hope the Norway trip is productive 
    It would be fun to have some of the Dirt3 tracks remastered as hillclimb. I seem to remember one of the Dirt2 tracks (was it the Japanese circuit) made a DLC appearance in Dirt3, so cross game tracks are possible. The Kenya tacks would be great for hillclimb. IIRC there were maybe some licensing issues mentioned re the cars that are used on hillclimb.
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 27
    Would be great to get a livery editor a bit more powerful. I feel the one in D4 was just an afterthought. I was never really in to messing around with that kind of stuff, but Gran Turismo Sport has hooked me on livery design. Here's my first one:

Then again, knowing that Codemasters suffers from chronic thin content and physics models that are close, but no cigar, maybe it would be better if they just concentrated on getting everything right regarding physics, cars and stages before spending resources on complex things like livery editors.

Still wishing for Codies, the ex-Evolution team, Milestone and Kylotonn to pool resources and make the ultimate rally game.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    I'd love to have your optimism about an hypothetical new DiRT game in the nearby future... I'd really love to. But how are you guys even sure a DiRT Rally 2.0 is going to come out? Codemasters, and game developers in general, aren't no-profit organizations. They aren't going to produce the ultimate and perfect rally game, with perfect physics, loads of content and post-launch support just to make us players happy. The way they pretty much abandoned DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 shows that. A DiRT Rally 2.0 is coming only if the heads of the company decide that it's worth to invest in it. And DiRT 4 doesn't look to me as the financial success they were looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if a new DiRT game would take quite some time to come out. And I'm not even sure it's going to be a Rally. One thing's sure, it better decide what it wants to be once and for all. A numbered DiRT game with arcade-ish physics, good graphics, various content and many fun modes, OR a sequel to DiRT Rally with simulation physics, rally-focused content and a simracing title kind of approach?
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
    carpa said:
    I'd love to have your optimism about an hypothetical new DiRT game in the nearby future... I'd really love to. But how are you guys even sure a DiRT Rally 2.0 is going to come out? Codemasters, and game developers in general, aren't no-profit organizations. They aren't going to produce the ultimate and perfect rally game, with perfect physics, loads of content and post-launch support just to make us players happy. The way they pretty much abandoned DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 shows that. A DiRT Rally 2.0 is coming only if the heads of the company decide that it's worth to invest in it. And DiRT 4 doesn't look to me as the financial success they were looking for. I wouldn't be surprised if a new DiRT game would take quite some time to come out. And I'm not even sure it's going to be a Rally. One thing's sure, it better decide what it wants to be once and for all. A numbered DiRT game with arcade-ish physics, good graphics, various content and many fun modes, OR a sequel to DiRT Rally with simulation physics, rally-focused content and a simracing title kind of approach?
    I don't think they will do a dirt rally 2 anytime soon. I don't think Dirt 4 sales are high enough. Dirt could be finished for a few years in terms of new games. But in some respect, why would they want to ? Dirt Rally is fast approaching cult status. Sure it is not a mainstream game, but the people who bought it loved it. Why bother re-doing the interface, intro etc when you can just release a load of new content. My guess is a much higher proportion of owners of Dr will go for DLC compared with other games. The other thing they could do is try changing the business model. They tried it first with DR, so why not with the DLC ? Crowd fund it.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    dirt3joe said:
    carpa said:
    I don't think they will do a dirt rally 2 anytime soon. I don't think Dirt 4 sales are high enough. Dirt could be finished for a few years in terms of new games. But in some respect, why would they want to ? Dirt Rally is fast approaching cult status. Sure it is not a mainstream game, but the people who bought it loved it. Why bother re-doing the interface, intro etc when you can just release a load of new content. My guess is a much higher proportion of owners of Dr will go for DLC compared with other games. The other thing they could do is try changing the business model. They tried it first with DR, so why not with the DLC ? Crowd fund it.
    I don't know, I think it would be hard for the developers to explain to the director's board that they will start releasing DLCs for DiRT Rally (which started out as a spinoff) when they have released a new game, DiRT 4, which should have been DiRT Rally but better and in which Codies have invested quite a lot more I think. Without funding nothing's going to happen unfortunately
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
    actually "sims" are becoming more and more popular.More than ever before ,people are buying wheels,companies are releasing new peripherals to cater to the "sim" crowd.Look at the evolution of hardware the last 5 years !!!!!!!!!!!
    fact is when you have a wheel,which a lot more of us do now, the 'sim' becomes a game more and more relate to.I can get my wifes friends in my racing rig for a lap or two,so anything is possible:) Cockpits are being built,bought etc.
    I think the future is bright for sims.Rally and all kinds.You just have to do it right, like Raceroom,Automobilista,Rfactor etc to insure longevity.And yes,it may not be the main income for companies,but maybe some arcade products could make up for them not selling as much as heir sims.
    Just my thoughts and yes i know its all about the "mighhty dollar" lol 
  • SlowishSlowish Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 27
    The title of this thread should probably include the word "Speculation". :)

PC Mobo MSi Z270 Pro / CPU Intel i7-7700k @4.2 ghz / RAM G.Skills RipJaws 32GB DDR4 / OS Windows 10 / GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 / Audio SoundBlaster ZX / Tactile OB Realtek (Extensions) / SB Audigy (Chassis) / Control AccuForce / OSW Mige (10k) SimuCube / CSS SQ / CST F1 Pedals / Displays 27" triples / Oculus CV-1

actually "sims" are becoming more and more popular.More than ever before ,people are buying wheels,companies are releasing new peripherals to cater to the "sim" crowd.Look at the evolution of hardware the last 5 years !!!!!!!!!!!
    fact is when you have a wheel,which a lot more of us do now, the 'sim' becomes a game more and more relate to.I can get my wifes friends in my racing rig for a lap or two,so anything is possible:) Cockpits are being built,bought etc.
    I think the future is bright for sims.Rally and all kinds.You just have to do it right, like Raceroom,Automobilista,Rfactor etc to insure longevity.And yes,it may not be the main income for companies,but maybe some arcade products could make up for them not selling as much as heir sims.
    Just my thoughts and yes i know its all about the "mighhty dollar" lol 
    We can only ever guess at what proportion of racers use a wheel. Remember CM probably know exactly and therefore know exactly how much effort to put into it.

My guess is less than 20% of users on consoles use wheels. I am not sure the future for sims is bright. I think it is in continuing to sell content that can be provided at the lowest cost. ie extra tracks, cars. Re doing user interfaces for example is pointless when that cost is only amortised over 1 game.

Re your stage note that cm could have just used it to generate 20 random stages per location and shipped those with the game. Or maybe the future is hybrid, where your stage does the generation and then their environment artists go in and tweak them to make them seem a little more customised.
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    well they at wales at moment or some are and with pics of sweet lamb on twitter im grinning at the possibilities. :)
  • SamRWDSamRWD Member Petrol Head
    Wait.
    They actually announced DR2?
    • Body is 7 characters too short.
  • RallyGamerRallyGamer Member Wheel Nut
    edited October 27
    just so you know, every time Codemasters releases a new game from the Dirt series if feels different. So don't pre-order yet before you have some feedback on the physics. Dirt Rally was good but that does not mean DiRT Rally 2 will be the same...just so you know... ;)

RallyGamer's Playground   I   Liveries, Mods & Tools   I   www.rallygamer.com

• DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    I'm still hoping they fix DiRT4 somehow 
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    If they were to somehow remove the no save ‘feature’ when you have custom liveries with the clubs patch a lot would have been fixed in my eyes. I don’t feel qualified enough to talk about the physics.
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • B3nnyGrillzB3nnyGrillz Member New Car Smell
    Yes would love a Dirt Rally 2 lets hope its a follow on from Dirt Rally 1 and not another DIRT 4. Playing WRC 7 and its way a head of Dirt 4 looking forward to WRC 8

CodeMasters better take note no more Dirt 4's.