Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

FFB Patch

FrostbiteT44FrostbiteT44 Member New Car Smell
FFb FIXED !!!!!!

open effectsetup.xml in word pad.
alter following values. Change pad to wheel seems codemasters forgot to change the values..

brilliant FFB RBR now can officially move over!!!

<ffbsuspension device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdlow="1.7" thresholdhigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="10" sample="suspensionR1"/>
<ffbsuspension device="wheel" scale="0.045" thresholdlow="0.06" thresholdhigh="1.0" length="0.1" freq="5" sample="suspensionL1"/>

Props to Msportdan from race department!!  

How to get to the file.  Go to where ever you have saved your game more than likely it will be in you steam folder.  
1. Steam
2. Steam apps
3. Common
4. DiRT Rally
5. Forcefeedback
6. Open effectssetup.xml in note pad (backup file just in case!!)
7. Edit file with above description from <ffbsuspension device="pad" to <ffbsuspension device="wheel
eg.  For Both R1 and L1 they are located directly in the middle of the file and then save the file after words.  

Again Mad Props to MSPORTDAN!!!!!

Please post what wheel you have and if it did work!  I have a Thrustmaster T500rs.  This did work on other wheels as well from what I had read from racedepartment.

Post edited by FrostbiteT44 on

Comments

• FrostbiteT44FrostbiteT44 Member New Car Smell
    Dont be afraid to post your findings people! 
  • rwbrwb Member New Car Smell
    edited May 2015
    I posted a reply to this but included links so it may be in a moderation queue.

This change to the XML file from racedepartment has been posted a few times now, and we've been told not to send the pad effects to the wheel. Mostly likely they didn't simply "forget to change the values," and there are elements of the pad ffb samples that I don't think people are understanding before they send them to the wheel. Several of us have made our own FFBSuspension ffb curves using the wheel samples; this is probably safer than sending pad effects and you won't lose pad FFB if you feel like using one, also.

The XML file is easy to change, but the fixes that have been widely distributed are simplistic and don't seem to have much thought put into them. All you need to do is look at scales and thresholds to see what's being sent to the wheel and work from there, rather than find+replacing. Not even denying some of these effects going to pads might be beneficial (though I find lower thresholds to send lower scale wheel effects ideal,) but look closely at what you're sending, and remember that you'll probably lose pad FFB if you simply find+replace.
    edited May 2015
    Your probably correct about using a pad but on the other hand who ever looks at this should already assume this is for a wheel and not for a game pad.  This seems to be working quite well for me at the moment and it's not risky.  All your doing is changing one value.  If your talking about the pad on the steering wheel than all my buttons work correctly.  If they don't like it change it back simple. But thanks for the comment.  I didn't come up with  this solution I just found it, this worked for me and I'm just passing the love on.
    I'm assuming this file is something like a simple configuration file that tells the game what DX ffb effects to send when certain events happen in-game so there's no reason it wouldn't include vibration effects for the pad as well as wheel effects. 

You're right though, there very little chance that this file will break a wheel unless it's some weird homebrew setup with software that isn't fault-tolerant, and even then it would probably be a rare case. That said, changing one value that makes a whole set of FFB code affect a different device than it's intended to is something I would try to understand fully before doing. I've said before I don't know much of anything about EGO3 or DirectInput so I'm just urging caution rather than saying this is all wrong.
  • NoOneNBANoOneNBA Member Unleaded
    Playing this back-to-back with DiRT 2 shows just how broken the FFB is in DiRT Rally, even while using all the supposed "fixes" that people keep posting.
    Even the "fixed" versions still have almost no data coming through the wheel, when compared to DiRT 2.
    This isn't even taking into account that the cars in DiRT Rally are bouncing considerably more than the ones in DiRT 2.
    edited May 2015
    Have you tried the code below? I don't have DiRT 2 for the PC, and want to try it for reference.

By default there's one FFBsuspension line for wheels, that appears to say it will send the suspensionWheel sample at full strength (1.0) when the game detects the car 's suspension hitting something with a force that exceeds a threshold of "2.5" up to "20." No idea what these units might be. All I did, inspired by Hadiii, was add lines with more granular thresholds, scaled down, so minor bumps send small forces rather than one force for all impacts. This nets me OK on-center feel, but not great. I might experiment with the pad effects later, but I had no luck trying to call FFBsamples for FFBSkid and FFBRev that I'd made myself, trying to avoid replacing the pad effects.

Now, I'm not presenting this as a fix; there may be some reason why CM decided to give us what they did, and who knows what will happen when they change the FFB, there may be EXE changes that make any changes we've made to the XML moot. 
        <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.01" thresholdLow=".01" thresholdHigh=".07" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
        <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.06" thresholdLow=".07" thresholdHigh=".4" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
        <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.12" thresholdLow=".4" thresholdHigh="2.5" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
        <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.45" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="8" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
        <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="8.0" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
    One thing I can't figure out is the self aligning torque, which feels all wrong at positive numbers, forcing the wheel straight when the car slides, with negative numbers, feels to me to be better when traction is lost, but odd when turning without loss of traction.
  • RookieOneRookieOne Member Pit Crew
    Just the fact that it work well is enough for now until we have an official solution.
  • CafoursCafours Member New Car Smell
    edited May 2015
    using these settings i still get a  deadzone when the wheel is at center, and now it the car feels like its weightless... you hit a bump and there's no kick, it doesn't try even and pull you in on cambers. Feels gash imho. 

It almost feels like the car is on axle stands and im just sat there with a powersteering pump from a bus operating the steering of a smart car.

Can someone show me their profiler settings for a G27 that they use in conjunction with this?
    Follow me on twitch! Username: Ca4s

↑ I'm not receiving anything like that.  My dead zone feels great and it's a lot more alive.  
  • DirtyTDSDirtyTDS Member New Car Smell
    edited May 2015
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <FFBEffects soloRampRate="1000" soloAttenuation="0">

<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="1.5"/>

<FFBlateral device="wheel" scale="1.0" velocityFactor="0.04" frictionGripScalar="55.0" frictionSurfaceScalar="6.5"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.3" sample="smallCollisionWheel"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.6" sample="largeCollisionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.12" thresholdLow=".07" thresholdHigh=".4" freq="7" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
       <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.18" thresholdLow=".4" thresholdHigh="2.5" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
       <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionLow"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionHigh"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionLow"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionHigh"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionLow"/>
       <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.2" thresholdLow="0.9" thresholdHigh="1.1" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="4" freqHigh="30.0" load="1.0" length="0.2" sample="skidBack"/>
       <FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.6" thresholdLow="1.0" thresholdHigh="1.3" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="16.0" freqHigh="16.0" load="1.0" length="0.1" sample="skidFront"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="1.6" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="7" sample="suspensionR1"/>
       <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="1.6" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="7" sample="suspensionL1"/>

<FFBRevs device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="0.1" thresholdHigh="1.2" freqLow="1" freqHigh="18.0" scaleLow="0.2" scaleHigh="0.95" length="0.05" sample="revEffect"/>

<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="61125521121"/>
       <FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98721" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="986454321"/>
       <FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="982312531"/>
       <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="986454321" channel="1"/>
       <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="982312531" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="skidBack" wave="9" envelope="0" channel="1" solo="1"/>
       <FFBSample name="skidFront" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98675462584" solo="1"/>
       <FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98765432629" solo="1"/>
       <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98675462594" channel="1" solo="1"/>
       <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98765432628" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionR1" wave="9" envelope="9564720" channel="0"/>
       <FFBSample name="suspensionL1" wave="1" envelope="9564720" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="revEffect" wave="91" envelope="9" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionWheel" wave="124689" envelope="97654321000"/>
       <FFBSample name="largeCollisionWheel" wave="5697641345" envelope="9879987542312"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionWheel" wave="64" envelope="9"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.01" thresholdLow=".01" thresholdHigh=".07" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.06" thresholdLow=".07" thresholdHigh=".4" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.12" thresholdLow=".4" thresholdHigh="2.5" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.45" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="8" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="8.0" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

</FFBEffects>

• DirtyTDSDirtyTDS Member New Car Smell
    edited May 2015
    This is the best compiled xml ffb i have found over AC forums

Logitech g27 Profile:
    100 100 100,unticked 100, ticked let game ... 
    540 rotation

in game steering saturation 40%
    vib 50%
    wheel strenght 100%
    Wheel weight 50%
    yes its heavy but gives the best feel in the game for me... i have road feel now and almost zero deadzone.

Post edited by DirtyTDS on
  • burgor57burgor57 Member New Car Smell
    So is there ANY NEWS from Codemasters about when they will fix the lack of FFB on my Thrustmaster T300 wheel? Anyone know - is there ANY statement from the coders about it - IO have not seen one. I am miffed as they say - I did PAY for this game after all and it is useless as it is. Why should we need to be tinkering with xml files?
  • AzoresstAzoresst Member Petrol Head
    burgor57 said:
    So is there ANY NEWS from Codemasters about when they will fix the lack of FFB on my Thrustmaster T300 wheel? Anyone know - is there ANY statement from the coders about it - IO have not seen one. I am miffed as they say - I did PAY for this game after all and it is useless as it is. Why should we need to be tinkering with xml files?
    More then one. 

Most recent example: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4580
    Creator of: ""Next" DiRT game wishlist!" (aka DiRT Rally) && "DiRT Rally feedback list"

edited May 2015
    Read the road book thread:

"One of the key areas we are focussing on at this early stage is how our Wheel Settings and Force Feedback are working in DiRT Rally. I’ll be honest, while we had poured a lot of effort into our new physics engine we hadn’t gotten round to unravelling our wheel settings and FFB and many of you have quite rightly noticed that the settings the game have shipped with are more suited to a console racer than a PC Sim. We want to get this right for you but to do it right we need to get under the hood and change the way that we do things. We’ve been reading your feedback, speaking the fans directly (big thanks to Betta Lines for his time) and we have a decent handle on how to improve things."

That's from the lead designer. If you search, you just might find what you're looking for.

• AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    Yes, read this:
    justbiglee said:

One of the key areas we are focussing on at this early stage is how our Wheel Settings and Force Feedback are working in DiRT Rally. I’ll be honest, while we had poured a lot of effort into our new physics engine we hadn’t gotten round to unravelling our wheel settings and FFB and many of you have quite rightly noticed that the settings the game have shipped with are more suited to a console racer than a PC Sim. We want to get this right for you but to do it right we need to get under the hood and change the way that we do things. We’ve been reading your feedback, speaking the fans directly (big thanks to Betta Lines for his time) and we have a decent handle on how to improve things.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6076/dirt-rally-road-book-06-05-2015
  • RallycameramanRallycameraman Member Champion
    burgor57 said:
    For starters, the game is EARLY ACCESS, this means there will be problems and things that need fixing/adjusting, hence the vast number of threads on these forums in the past week.

Second, lose the attitude. This isn't the F1 forum, things WILL get done, as and when they're ready and tested. 

And the game isn't useless as it is. Maybe it's just the user who is useless....
    Check out my YouTube channel - youtube.com/user/lukeharvey2006

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rallycameraman/
  • SkunkmeisterSkunkmeister Member Unleaded
    While modifying the xml file is vastly better than what the game came with I would really like Codemasters to add in proper support. Counter-steering feels all wrong, and I'm fighting the wheel a lot when I shouldn't have to.
  • EvilsmurfEvilsmurf Member Team Principal
    While modifying the xml file is vastly better than what the game came with I would really like Codemasters to add in proper support. Counter-steering feels all wrong, and I'm fighting the wheel a lot when I shouldn't have to.

It's being worked on as we speak and with any luck will make it into the next build release, I believe later this month.

Twitch: twitch.tv/evilsmurf76

Twitter: Evilsmurf76

Steam: Evilsmurf

PSN: evilsmurf1976

• MastaVonBlastaMastaVonBlasta Member, Drivers Team Principal
    From the sounds of things the devs are not just trying to tweak what they have to make the FFB better - they are chucking out the legacy code from the days of console DiRTs and implementing something very different.

That would certainly be my preference. This is meant to be an Early Access programme, so the players are expected to be a bit more patient. Paul admitted that they did not get round to looking closely at FFB over the last few months, but to see such a rapid and commited response to player feedback is simply fantastic.

With some previous Codies titles, especially the F1 games, it took a while to push out fixes and improved features. With this awesome and passionate team on DiRT Rally, a very positive reaction to the game and with how quickly Steam Early Access can push through updates we're in for a great time!

From a recent tweet by @KickUp it looks as if the Pikes Peak Pack is on course for release by the end of May. If the improved FFB comes out with it we'll be blasting up the hill in the 405 T16, trying not to faint from butt clenching...
    Twitter: MastaVonBlasta ¬ Bobby K fan ¬ Next one will be the one.
  • beyondtoolbeyondtool Member New Car Smell
    I just wanted to add that it is awesome to hear straight talk and positive community communication from the developer so early on. It does indeed sound like a substantial rethink of the FFB code is underway and I imagine that would take at least a month to getting up and running. After such a drought last year it's great to have sim racing back and exciting again!