Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Is dirt 4 or rally playable under 60 fps?

TyroProTyroPro Member New Car Smell
Because whenever I dip below 52 fps these games feel like 20ish fps. I'm trying to push my PC to play higher resolutions and have therefore capped my fps to 30 but it feels like 12. Anyway to get a smooth experience at 30, 40 or at most 50 fps?  I greatly appreciate all responses.

Best Answer

• DytutDytut Member Team Principal
    Accepted Answer
    JZStudios said:
    TyroPro said:
    I'm trying to experience 4k resolution using my 970 gtx at low graphics settings with triple buffer v- sync enabled. I'm confident my gpu will be over strained if I shoot for 60 fps @ 4k, that's why I'm trying to cap it at 30 fps. It works! Consistent 30 fps @ 4k... it's just not smooth at all and feels like 12 fps. What could make it feel like I'm getting less fps than the fps counter reads?
    Bad frame pacing, but even on my 2gb 960 I'm running triples on medium settings and getting about 50 fps. Feels like the 970 should be able to push it.
    On a bit of a side note, I really wish Vsync had a custom value to set, or at least every 15 FPS or so. I can run most games pretty comfortably at 45, but Vsync makes them constantly jump around from 60 to 30.
    Well that's how vsync works, so not much to do about it. If it can't make the first frame update, it waits until the next update which means halved FPS. The whole reason Gsync and Freesync were made.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

Answers

• DytutDytut Member Team Principal
    Do you have vsync off? Otherwise it'll dip down to 30 fps every time it goes below 60 which isn't that nice. Same if you go below 30 with vsync, then it drops to 15.
    Other than that it should be playable (I played at about 40 fps for the first few months of DR), but 60 fps (or more) is quite nice for driving games.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• Snaky115Snaky115 Member Co-Driver
    Are the biggest FPS hog settings off? Like Anti-Aliasing, Ground Cover, Shaders (to low) and Shadows? Maybe some other i forget. It shouldn't be too hard to get 60 in DiRT, unless specs are slightly too low.
    FX-8350, 16GB, RX480 8GB Red Devil
    And a KEYBOARD! #KeyBro (Gamer mode until Sim improves)
    #Latvia
  • TyroProTyroPro Member New Car Smell
    edited November 12
    I'm trying to experience 4k resolution using my 970 gtx at low graphics settings with triple buffer v- sync enabled. I'm confident my gpu will be over strained if I shoot for 60 fps @ 4k, that's why I'm trying to cap it at 30 fps. It works! Consistent 30 fps @ 4k... it's just not smooth at all and feels like 12 fps. What could make it feel like I'm getting less fps than the fps counter reads?
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    TyroPro said:
    Bad frame pacing, but even on my 2gb 960 I'm running triples on medium settings and getting about 50 fps. Feels like the 970 should be able to push it.
    On a bit of a side note, I really wish Vsync had a custom value to set, or at least every 15 FPS or so. I can run most games pretty comfortably at 45, but Vsync makes them constantly jump around from 60 to 30.
    edited November 13
    JZStudios said:
    TyroPro said:

Can you recommend how I can improve my frame pacing JZStudios please? I'd love to play the game at 30 fps. I set my monitor to 30 Hz in the nvidia control panel and limited the game to 30 fps with tripple v-sync in nvidia inspector/control panel too. Changing my graphics settings in game does nothing I'm pretty sure. Dirt 4 and rally for me it's always been 60 fps or just forget about it. Thanks a lot!
  • nbates66nbates66 Member New Car Smell
    do you run the game in fullscreen mode? I've found that Dirt4 suffers poorly in windowed or borderless windowed mode.
    edited November 13
    nbates66 said:
    do you run the game in fullscreen mode? I've found that Dirt4 suffers poorly in windowed or borderless windowed mode.
    I run the game fullscreen. Thank you for your response. I'm confident it's a frame pacing issue and am now looking for advice on how to remedy that.
    Post edited by TyroPro on
  • MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    edited November 13
    In codemasters games you easily can find the ideal settings for your PC as you can pause the game and turn on/off , set lower/higher the settings and to immediately see the resualts..
    Now if you can not keep 60 stable frames but yor PC can easily go over 30 frames i suggest you the RivaTuner free program that you can custom set frame cap , 45 , 50 or whichever.. I do this in many games and perfecly works making games smoother....
    In Dirt 4 i just set v-sync 60frames cause i like racing games on 60 frames , i have often drops but its ok for me..
    Thank you very much for all the help everyone. Solved.