Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

FIA World Rallycross Championship 2018

tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
With the 2017 season now over and the 2018 season a few months away, I thought I'd start a new thread! Few drivers already confirmed for 2018:

GCK - Renault Megane RS RX - Guerlain Chicherit (World RX)
GCK - Renault Megane RS RX - ? (World RX)
Peugeot Sport? - Peugeot 208 - Sebastien Loeb (World RX)
PSRXVW - Volkswagen Polo - Johan Kristoffersson (has mentioned World RX next year, but I can't find the source!)
PSRXVW - Volkswagen Polo - Petter Solberg? (World RX?)

G-FORS - Renault Clio RS RX - Jere Kalliokoski (Euro RX)
G-FORS - Renault Clio RS RX - ? (Euro RX)

Couple of interesting stories on the Autosport website. Firstly, Ekstrom, is making positive noises about returning next year:

And Marcus Gronholm is apparently in talks with Hyundai about running a two car team:

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Comments

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    Another story on the Scheider/BMW rumour. Would be a great bit of news if it comes through! 

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/rallycross/scheider-discussing-bmw-world-rx-programme/

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

No Toomas Heikkinen in EKS next year and Liam Doran has purchased the MINI rallycross cars from JRM. Wonder if he will do the British or European Championship with those next year? 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• ChristinaMcChristinaMc Member, Codemasters Community Manager
    tbtstt said:
    No Toomas Heikkinen in EKS next year and Liam Doran has purchased the MINI rallycross cars from JRM. Wonder if he will do the British or European Championship with those next year? 
    Sincerely hoping this means that Bakkerud will get a drive with EKS! If they can sort out the Red Bull/Monster problem. 
    tbtstt said:
    Sincerely hoping this means that Bakkerud will get a drive with EKS! If they can sort out the Red Bull/Monster problem. 
    Given the sponsorship issue I'd be surprised to see Bakkerud appearing at EKS, but that's not to say I don't want it to happen!

After his Andros Trophy appearance in a DA Racing car, they (DA Racing) seem to be the favourite guess for Bakkerud in 2018. My money is still on the new GCK team though: they already have one Monster driver as part of the team and, in my opinion, they need an experienced rallycross driver to develop the new car. Bakkerud is the perfect choice!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I cant shake off the feeling that D.A. Racing is going to have proper support from Renault next year. There were rumors some time ago about them wanting to enter the WRX and they have no part of the megane project prodrive is doing I believe
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
    I cant shake off the feeling that D.A. Racing is going to have proper support from Renault next year. There were rumors some time ago about them wanting to enter the WRX and they have no part of the megane project prodrive is doing I believe
    I thought there was some official connection between Renault and GCK? If full Renault works backing goes the way of DA Racing though, they would definitely become my new top bet for Bakkerud! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• Janneman60Janneman60 Member Unleaded
    I don't think it ia that good foir Bakkerud to again join a team which have to start from scratch.

On the other hand it is better as no drive at all.

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Rumour hss it that the 4 audi's are sold to Belgium to a new formed team to do wrx.
    That would leave eks with some cash...
    Nitiss confirms he won't be with EKS in 2018:

https://www.facebook.com/ReinisNitissOfficial/posts/2021803938037747

Going to be an interesting announcement on Monday! Seen a few rumours about Timerzyanov at EKS now, apparently he wasn't at the STARD test session so seems like he may be going elsewhere? 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• sqdstrsqdstr Member Race Steward
    Official statement from Hyundai Motorsport, an agreement between them and Marcus Grönholm.
    2 Hyundais will be run in WRX 2018, without official manufacturer support though.

We can confirm that this is a private arrangement between Marcus Grönholm and Hyundai Motorsport. Two chassis and parts have been sold to the team, but there is no manufacturer involvement.”
    Great to see another new shape on the grid next year. I assume Niclas will be driving one, but I wonder who will be in the second car? 

EKS announcement at 1 today!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Forgive the double post, but Ekstrom confirms that he is leaving the DTM and concentrating on World Rallycross in 2018. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Well that are both good messages.
    Looks like building some new cars is peanuts nowadays. There is not that much time left.
    Well that are both good messages.
    Looks like building some new cars is peanuts nowadays. There is not that much time left.
    Peanuts if you have the Audi or VW Motorsport division building the cars for you! :smiley:

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    Well would you look at that. Bakkerud is joining EKS for this season
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
    Yeah, didn't think that would be possible with the sponsors involved! I note that there is no Monster branding in the first video of Bakkerud driving the S1 though, so perhaps the Monster backing only came from the teams Bakkerud was in rather than him being sponsored as an individual? 

Irrespective, it's great news. Should be a much better team mate for Ekstrom than Topi. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    tbtstt said:
    Yeah, didn't think that would be possible with the sponsors involved! I note that there is no Monster branding in the first video of Bakkerud driving the S1 though, so perhaps the Monster backing only came from the teams Bakkerud was in rather than him being sponsored as an individual? 

Irrespective, it's great news. Should be a much better team mate for Ekstrom than Topi. 
    Why do you say that? We’re there problems in the team? I had a feeling he would go to Audi the other day

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!

• carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    tbtstt said:

Why do you say that? We’re there problems in the team? I had a feeling he would go to Audi the other day
    I think he's saying Audi EKS are sponsored by Red Bull while Bakkerud was sponsored last year by Monster Energy and having these two sponsors together would create a bit of a conflict...
    Probably the Monster sponsorship was related just to Ken Block and his Team, and not to Andreas himself
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
    carpa said:
    tbtstt said:

I think he's saying Audi EKS are sponsored by Red Bull while Bakkerud was sponsored last year by Monster Energy and having these two sponsors together would create a bit of a conflict...
    Probably the Monster sponsorship was related just to Ken Block and his Team, and not to Andreas himself
    Yep, exactly! Bakkerud was sponsored by Monster when he was in Hoonigan Racing Division and LD Motorsport, but then the main driver in both of those teams was a Monster athlete, so I think the Monster branding might have come as a consequence of the team principle rather than because Bakkerud himself was sponsored. 

There was a similar situation with Timur Timerzyanov a couple of years ago: he was Red Bull backed when he was driving for Hansen, but Red Bull stuck with the team when Timur left. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"