Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Teammate Bug

Started a save has Hass with Romain Grosjean as my teammate. I have some questions though. Is it worth it with the teammate bug? Will he ever be able to compete with Merc or Ferrari? Should I restart as one of those 2 if I want to compete for constructors championships long term? Don't want to get too far in then want to restart. I know I could switch but then I feel like I would lose time because I assume that users can upgrade faster than the AI does? New to the game, thanks for any insights! 

Comments

• CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Co-Driver
    They ve said it all relates to the engine upgrades so if you think you can get the Haas up there with just chassis and aero updates have a shot.
  • dphaydendphayden Member New Car Smell
    Hass Engine is terrible. Maybe at a certain point I can compete, but won't I by the end be in even worse shape than I am now when they all upgrade fully and I can only get 67% of the upgrades on my teammate?
  • kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Race Engineer
    Hang on a second. Are you telling me the teammate bug is not being able to bring the lower teams up with the front running teams? That cant be what you guys are up in arms about because the lower teams shouldnt be able to be brought up with the front running teams. Maybe i missed that race, but when was the last time you seen the lower grid teams racing up front?     
    Xbox one, controller
  • AdamFreemanAdamFreeman Member Pit Crew
    When one of the lower teams is mclaren and the game itself sets out expectations of getting th back where they belong then there is something wrong.

Point is the bug effects all teams its just much more telling with the lower teams.
    I started with sauber as I wanted the challenge of making them competitive but while I shall be able to get somewhat near he front my team mate will have an aweful engine still which ruins team mate battles too!

• MichaelDeckerMichaelDecker Member New Car Smell
    R u sure. I started with Romain too and he is like 200sec off of my time throughout the weekend. Q1 we will get into the top 10 (not every track) and in q2 he will start being absolutely trash. Then the race he sucks too when i know he has the pace
  • ChironTheseusChironTheseus Member Unleaded
    How hard it is to get points for the cost and amount of upgrades its not like 2016 where I could do up all my favourite teams so they all are up top I have given up this on 2017. I picked Williams and will just max it out in all areas if possible? Am playing sensible by doing all the point reduction bits first so it will be at its cheapest. Me and Massa will take the Championship!! .. Then if plenty of seasons left I will end in Red Bull with the great gent Ric!! But I will always be crying a little inside that I couldn't get McLaren into the points with Williams..
  • WynterdustWynterdust Member Team Principal
    edited November 29
    kevinkirk said:
    Hang on a second. Are you telling me the teammate bug is not being able to bring the lower teams up with the front running teams? That cant be what you guys are up in arms about because the lower teams shouldnt be able to be brought up with the front running teams. Maybe i missed that race, but when was the last time you seen the lower grid teams racing up front?     
    So you don't recall ever seeing Mclaren's at the front? Not like a certain British champion won their first title there or that they didn't win at least one race every year between 1997 and 2012 with the exception of 2006. Or that they dominated the late 80's or anything. Renault 2005/2006? Sauber in 2007/8?
    This is a game. It shouldn't have to follow the real season rather it's just based on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall ever seeing Billy Smith driving a Ferrari in Vettel's place either or Kvyat surviving at Toro Rosso for ten seasons.
    The whole point of the career mode, as advertised, was to bring your team to the front. So yes, a lot of people are up in arms about not being able to bring Mclaren, Sauber or whoever to the front properly.
    If people want to run the season as it went, then play GP mode. A lot of career mode players play because they want to bring their favourite team to the front whether it be Red Bull, Williams, Mclaren or even Toro Rosso.

Even if you disagree with teams being at the front (which other people doing that has zero impact on you anyway), it's still a glitch/bug that should not be happening. (In case you're not aware, the bug is that the players teammate is not getting powertrain upgrades properly thus leading to any teammate being anywhere between 5 and 15kph slower in a straight line which can be up to over a second in lap time).

T- "I don't consider you my enemy."

K- "Oh? I didn't consider you at all."

T- "Now that's just hurtful..."

• kevinkirkkevinkirk Member Race Engineer
    edited November 29
    kevinkirk said:
    So you don't recall ever seeing Mclaren's at the front? Not like a certain British champion won their first title there or that they didn't win at least one race every year between 1997 and 2012 with the exception of 2006. Or that they dominated the late 80's or anything. Renault 2005/2006? Sauber in 2007/8?
    This is a game. It shouldn't have to follow the real season rather it's just based on it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall ever seeing Billy Smith driving a Ferrari in Vettel's place either or Kvyat surviving at Toro Rosso for ten seasons.
    The whole point of the career mode, as advertised, was to bring your team to the front. So yes, a lot of people are up in arms about not being able to bring Mclaren, Sauber or whoever to the front properly.
    If people want to run the season as it went, then play GP mode. A lot of career mode players play because they want to bring their favourite team to the front whether it be Red Bull, Williams, Mclaren or even Toro Rosso.

Even if you disagree with teams being at the front (which other people doing that has zero impact on you anyway), it's still a glitch/bug that should not be happening. (In case you're not aware, the bug is that the players teammate is not getting powertrain upgrades properly thus leading to any teammate being anywhere between 5 and 15kph slower in a straight line which can be up to over a second in lap time).
    Sorry, didnt think i needed to put the phrase "in this century" when I pointed that out. Also this game is based on the 2017 season. Thats why its called F1 2017. Also things working as they intended isnt a bug. Since they dont seem to want to change it then my GUESS is its indeed working as they intended it to. I realize how thin of a limb im walking on by saying that because i shouldnt be speaking for codemasters as if I know what they are thinking about how the career mode should work. 
    Xbox one, controller
  • TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member Wheel Nut
     I don't think that's the case, Kevin. Remember that this bug only affects your TEAMMATE. I have Renault at the top of the performance index in season five, so it IS possible to bring a midfield (and with more time, surely a backmarker) team to the front. The problem is that Hulkenberg keeps struggling on circuits where the engine makes the biggest difference (we have the best engine btw), I'm a lot quicker in a straight line than him and the problem is that I shouldn't be! 
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    So this huge teammate issue I've been reading rumours about is just that the teammate doesn't improve alongside you? Big deal. If your plan is to get a McLaren or a Renault to the front of the grid and you achieve that, but your teammate is stuck down in 10th or 15th place, it's hardly the end of the world is it. You'd have to be seriously OCD for this to be a "broken game" issue. My team is Ferrari, I'm in season 3, I've developed at the same pace as Mercedes (still neck-a-neck at the front) and Vettel is right where he should be. Non-issue.
  • ale85bgale85bg Member Unleaded
    edited November 30
    So this huge teammate issue I've been reading rumours about is just that the teammate doesn't improve alongside you? Big deal. If your plan is to get a McLaren or a Renault to the front of the grid and you achieve that, but your teammate is stuck down in 10th or 15th place, it's hardly the end of the world is it.
    Well it's not the end of the world as we're talking about a videogame but it does ruin the immersion. I mean, it's just wrong!
    You'll never see a driver winning the Drivers' Championship with a car that would otherwise finish between 10th and 15th place race in, race out. It's just not realistic at all.
    One could be a God and do that with a car that would otherwise finish 5th, 6th... But definitely not 10th or 15th.

Let's assume it works as intended (so let's say that it's not a bug): it's still a poor design choice which doesn't reflect how things go in real life.
  • WynterdustWynterdust Member Team Principal
    kevinkirk said:
    kevinkirk said:

Sorry, didnt think i needed to put the phrase "in this century" when I pointed that out. Also this game is based on the 2017 season. Thats why its called F1 2017. Also things working as they intended isnt a bug. Since they dont seem to want to change it then my GUESS is its indeed working as they intended it to. I realize how thin of a limb im walking on by saying that because i shouldnt be speaking for codemasters as if I know what they are thinking about how the career mode should work. 
    So, what's your point exactly? You asked a question and I answered it. Don't be pedantic.
    The career mode spans ten seasons. Ten seasons ago, Mercedes, or Honda as they were at the time were getting knocked out in Q1. Now they're a dominant force. Ten seasons ago, Mclaren were competing for championships, now they're struggling for points. Sauber were front runners ten years ago, whereas Force India were backmarkers. Is the point registering yet? Things change every season. The fact that it's based on the 2017 season is irrelevant since it's the only year they are licensed for so of course it'll be the same cars and drivers. That doesn't mean the career should remain exactly the same for ten seasons. You honestly believe that the second most successful team to ever compete should not be able to be brought to the front because they've been further back the last few years? Same goes for Williams and Renault.

GP mode is intended to replicate the season. Career mode is loosely based on it as it is meant to start that way and then vary as the seasons go. Hence the R&D feature even being in the game. Otherwise, what is the point?

The AI not getting the powertrain upgrades that the player get is working as intended? I mean... really? It's intended for the player to be up to 10mph faster than their teammate then? Does that really need explaining?
    They have stated it cannot be fixed for this game. The fact that they acknowledged it in such a way suggests it was very much not indended. Their inability to fix the issue does not mean it was intended.

T- "I don't consider you my enemy."

K- "Oh? I didn't consider you at all."

T- "Now that's just hurtful..."

• carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    IanX said:

But hey, since you opened up online diagnosis of others, trying to use the term OCD to insult people for having an issue with it, is simply being arrogant and having little empathy for other players,  that puts your comments as being anti-social personality disorder. (hint: the new term for psychopth)

And using OCD, which is actually a mental disorder, as an insult just to show everyone the new word you've learned today is quite childish to be honest, and also incorrect
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    If someone is 1.5 sec quicker than their teammate, surely they are on far too easy AI level??? 
    In all my experience of this game, the teammate has always been where he should be relative to the opposition, judging by the team performance ranking at any given time. 
  • IanXIanX Member Wheel Nut
    edited December 4
    If someone is 1.5 sec quicker than their teammate, surely they are on far too easy AI level??? 
    In all my experience of this game, the teammate has always been where he should be relative to the opposition, judging by the team performance ranking at any given time. 
    Dammit he is right!  we got it wrong this entire time, its simply the AI level... wow how could we all be so stupid not to realise this was the cause. thanks so much for pointing this error of ours out.

Ohh and dont forget to let CM know that the bug they found and announced that it is too complex to fix for this year, well they were wrong too.  dammit we all must be so stupid to miss this.