Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Wheel vs pad

hi guys, i have a question: is a wheel faster then a pad on f1 2017? been thinking about buying me one (thrustmaster t150) is this a good starting wheel?? And do i need to change my setups for the additional wheel in terms of Aero and throtthle diff?? 

Best Answer

Answers

• jefke1986jefke1986 Member New Car Smell
    Thx for the tip: been playing now with medium traction and manual gears and abs on a pad , what a difference in lap time... gonna buy a playseat challenge to
  • TXGTRTXGTR Member New Car Smell
    DD22KHz said:
    Not necessarily. It CAN be, but only if you start turning off assists, because no assists is what makes you faster. And its just easier to use no assists on a wheel than a controller. And yes the T150 is great, I use it
    I use the T150 too. I like it but had some issues with the force feedback so I turned it off. Just about to start reintroducing it again, can I ask how you have yours configured?
  • MrbundgeeMrbundgee Member New Car Smell
    You could be in a coma and have to broken hands.....but using a pad will always be quicker than my piece of **** thrustmaster t80 wheel. whatever you do, get anything but the thrustmaster t80. You'd be better off using hopes and dreams to get around the track than with this thing! 
  • MusicalVenomMusicalVenom Member Unleaded
    Once you have practiced enough to get used to the more sensitive nature of the wheel, you'll be a lot quicker than you were on the pad, especially with the way the game currently is biased towards wheel much more than it was when the game came out. 
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    For me its not about quicker/slower. The wheel is just so much more fun to use. 

• equitisquartusequitisquartus Member New Car Smell
    I'm stuck with a controller. Turning off assists is giving me fits. Any hints on button settings that would help me with manual shifting? I just don't have enough fingers to do everything. 
    Any other setup tips would be great.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Left Index Brake, Right index Accelerate.
    Left Thumb Steer, Right Thumb...DRUMROLL...Gear Up A, Gear Down X, DRS Y, B for HUD (KERS on previous games), look behind/left/right analogue.

Tongue for Home button...
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
  • MyAPEXMyAPEX Member New Car Smell
    edited December 2017
    Wheel is faster I  improved my lap times I used the same setup what I was using for pad made no changes to diff. I made jump last month
    Post edited by MyAPEX on
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Race Steward
    edited December 2017
    I'm stuck with a controller. Turning off assists is giving me fits. Any hints on button settings that would help me with manual shifting? I just don't have enough fingers to do everything. 
    Any other setup tips would be great.
    I use this on the pad:

L2 / LT = Brakes
    R2 / RT = Throttle
    L1 / LT = Gear Down
    R1 / RT = Gear Up (or Clutch during the manual starts and or manual pit stops)
    Square / X = MFD Info
    Triangle / Y = DRS / Pit Limiter
    Circle / B = Engineer
    Cross / A = Changing Camera Angles
    Left Stick = Steering 
    Right Stick = Camera Movement (or MFD Shortcut)
    D-Pad = Navigating through the MFD (or unassigned once i use the MFD Shortcut function on the Right Stick)
    Start = Menu

PS: Take note that you'll have to use both your Index Fingers and your Middle Fingers to use all the Shoulder Triggers.

Yes, it's a bit unusual, but it's more "true" to the gear changing procedure on actual pedal shifters of real F1 cars imho, though for the ultimate experience a wheel is mandatory.

Have fun mate! ;)
    Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity