Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Wheel vs pad

hi guys, i have a question: is a wheel faster then a pad on f1 2017? been thinking about buying me one (thrustmaster t150) is this a good starting wheel?? And do i need to change my setups for the additional wheel in terms of Aero and throtthle diff?? 

Best Answer

Answers

• jefke1986jefke1986 Member New Car Smell
    Thx for the tip: been playing now with medium traction and manual gears and abs on a pad , what a difference in lap time... gonna buy a playseat challenge to
  • DD22KHzDD22KHz Member Unleaded
    jefke1986 said:
    Thx for the tip: been playing now with medium traction and manual gears and abs on a pad , what a difference in lap time... gonna buy a playseat challenge to
    Btw, get the T150 Pro, they come with the T3PA pedals and are VASTLY superiior to the stock plastic pedals that come with the normal T150. Its more expensive but well worth it
  • TXGTRTXGTR Member New Car Smell
    DD22KHz said:
    Not necessarily. It CAN be, but only if you start turning off assists, because no assists is what makes you faster. And its just easier to use no assists on a wheel than a controller. And yes the T150 is great, I use it
    I use the T150 too. I like it but had some issues with the force feedback so I turned it off. Just about to start reintroducing it again, can I ask how you have yours configured?
  • MrbundgeeMrbundgee Member New Car Smell
    You could be in a coma and have to broken hands.....but using a pad will always be quicker than my piece of **** thrustmaster t80 wheel. whatever you do, get anything but the thrustmaster t80. You'd be better off using hopes and dreams to get around the track than with this thing! 
  • MusicalVenomMusicalVenom Member Unleaded
    Once you have practiced enough to get used to the more sensitive nature of the wheel, you'll be a lot quicker than you were on the pad, especially with the way the game currently is biased towards wheel much more than it was when the game came out. 
  • Rinehart27Rinehart27 Member Unleaded
    For me its not about quicker/slower. The wheel is just so much more fun to use. 

• equitisquartusequitisquartus Member New Car Smell
    I'm stuck with a controller. Turning off assists is giving me fits. Any hints on button settings that would help me with manual shifting? I just don't have enough fingers to do everything. 
    Any other setup tips would be great.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Left Index Brake, Right index Accelerate.
    Left Thumb Steer, Right Thumb...DRUMROLL...Gear Up A, Gear Down X, DRS Y, B for HUD (KERS on previous games), look behind/left/right analogue.

Tongue for Home button...
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
  • GavGav983527GavGav983527 Member New Car Smell
    I'm stuck with a controller. Turning off assists is giving me fits. Any hints on button settings that would help me with manual shifting? I just don't have enough fingers to do everything. 

On PS4, I am R2 Accelerate, Square Brake (I stamp on the brakes, and then tap to trail brake, you may have to find a good brake set up for this). L2 gear down, O Gear Up.

I changed in 2010, as I can't use L2 for the brake, but I wanted gradual acceleration on a pad, did not take me long to be back on the pace.
  • MyAPEXMyAPEX Member New Car Smell
    edited December 10
    Wheel is faster I  improved my lap times I used the same setup what I was using for pad made no changes to diff. I made jump last month
    Post edited by MyAPEX on
  • LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Pit Crew
    edited December 10
    I use this on the pad:

L2 / LT = Brakes
    R2 / RT = Throttle
    L1 / LT = Gear Down
    R1 / RT = Gear Up (or Clutch during the manual starts and or manual pit stops)
    Square / X = MFD Info
    Triangle / Y = DRS / Pit Limiter
    Circle / B = Engineer
    Cross / A = Changing Camera Angles
    Left Stick = Steering 
    Right Stick = Camera Movement (or MFD Shortcut)
    D-Pad = Navigating through the MFD (or unassigned once i use the MFD Shortcut function on the Right Stick)
    Start = Menu

PS: Take note that you'll have to use both your Index Fingers and your Middle Fingers to use all the Shoulder Triggers.

Yes, it's a bit unusual, but it's more "true" to the gear changing procedure on actual pedal shifters of real F1 cars imho, though for the ultimate experience a wheel is mandatory.

Have fun mate! ;)