Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Online racing - all cars equal

10P210P2 Member New Car Smell
Should I be having problems with this?

First of all, I'm new to this game ( 5 weeks ) and totally new to this forum, so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before. If it has, I can't find it.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible:
After spending a couple of weeks dabbling in career mode I'd worked my way to where I felt confident of getting regular wins/podiums driving a Red Bull.with the AI cars at 50%. 
Afriend invited me into an Xbox racing group and told me that the next race was Montreal, all assists were allowed and if I could regularly lap in the low 1 min 17s - which I could - then I wouldn't embarrass myself.
So, after a couple of days practice, a time trial lap of (several) sub 1:17s under my belt, and my custom setup safely saved, I climbed into a Red Bull fairly confidently.
I drove out of the pit lane and gloom descended upon me. My carefuly crafted car setup was about as useful as a ham pie at a Jewish wedding and the car handled as if I was driving on polished ice. Of course, parc ferme regulations didn't exactly help at this point. 
Anyway, I eventually scrabled round in a best of 1:19.7
To my discombobulation, there was actually two drivers slower than me.
The race you don't want to hear about - suffice it to say that my head mechanic's obsession with telling me about my "slightly damaged" front wing got right on my t*ts so I was actually quite glad when the stewards disqualified me for impersonating a Formula 1 driver.

Anyhow, putting this all down to experience, I thought about it and decided that it must be connected with the "all cars equal" setting. Equal to what  exactly? If a Red Bull suddenly gets the same engine power as a Mercedes then its chassis won't cope, rendering my custom setup useless. Armed with this piece of <ahem> brilliant analytical thinking I set about readying myself for the next club race - Azerbaijani, another very technical track full of walls for to make my chief mechanic a happy man. So Ispent another two days practicing on this track until I got my lap times consistently into the low 1:45s - not lightning quick, I know but quick enough.
And now is when my "cunning plan" came into effect. I set up my own custom race, invite only, and invited a second Xbox profile of mine to join. That profile sat in a Merc. Then I plonked myself into a Red Bull and did a few laps. Sure enough I struggled a bit but I came back into the pits a few times and tweaked the wings and a few other settings until I was happy. I saved this setup as "RB Azer dry online".
And the next day, confident that my 'genius' thinking would pay off, I sat at my steering column (aka my Xbox contoller) awaiting an invite. At this point the call of nature overcame me so I swiftly nipped to the wc. On my return I saw the invite and accepted it. Aaaaaaarrgh ! Someone else had taken the second Red Bull seat. You can guess the rest. I limped round in a Sauber in 1:48ish then crashed the car badly on the second qualifying lap and didn't even.make it to the race :D

So, questions :
Is this a real problem? if yes how do you overcome it?

or

Am I just a moron who's over analysing things?  (Iadmit that this is highly likely, me being a moron that is).

Cheers 

Comments

• ShimassiShimassi Member New Car Smell
    As long as it's on equal cars, all the cars online should feel exactly the same so a setup that works for one should work for another. Some people say they can feel a difference between the cars (I can't). I tend to play around in the Merc in TT till I find a setup that's fast/pretty comfortable then jump into the Merc in GP mode and do the first few of laps of a 50% race. The lack of tyre wear/tyre temps/fuel in TT can make the car feel very different compared to race conditions.
  • 10P210P2 Member New Car Smell
    Shimassi said:
    As long as it's on equal cars, all the cars online should feel exactly the same so a setup that works for one should work for another. Some people say they can feel a difference between the cars (I can't). I tend to play around in the Merc in TT till I find a setup that's fast/pretty comfortable then jump into the Merc in GP mode and do the first few of laps of a 50% race. The lack of tyre wear/tyre temps/fuel in TT can make the car feel very different compared to race conditions.
    Thanks for the answer Shimmasi. There is definitely a difference online - well at least for me there is anyway. Bear in mind that I had problems even with the qualifying laps when the fuel load must be pretty much the same as for a time trial.
    I'm beginning to wonder if my internet upload speed has any bearing on this - or even my ping to the server.