Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Online racing - all cars equal

10P210P2 Member New Car Smell
Should I be having problems with this?

First of all, I'm new to this game ( 5 weeks ) and totally new to this forum, so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before. If it has, I can't find it.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible:
After spending a couple of weeks dabbling in career mode I'd worked my way to where I felt confident of getting regular wins/podiums driving a Red Bull.with the AI cars at 50%. 
Afriend invited me into an Xbox racing group and told me that the next race was Montreal, all assists were allowed and if I could regularly lap in the low 1 min 17s - which I could - then I wouldn't embarrass myself.
So, after a couple of days practice, a time trial lap of (several) sub 1:17s under my belt, and my custom setup safely saved, I climbed into a Red Bull fairly confidently.
I drove out of the pit lane and gloom descended upon me. My carefuly crafted car setup was about as useful as a ham pie at a Jewish wedding and the car handled as if I was driving on polished ice. Of course, parc ferme regulations didn't exactly help at this point. 
Anyway, I eventually scrabled round in a best of 1:19.7
To my discombobulation, there was actually two drivers slower than me.
The race you don't want to hear about - suffice it to say that my head mechanic's obsession with telling me about my "slightly damaged" front wing got right on my t*ts so I was actually quite glad when the stewards disqualified me for impersonating a Formula 1 driver.

Anyhow, putting this all down to experience, I thought about it and decided that it must be connected with the "all cars equal" setting. Equal to what  exactly? If a Red Bull suddenly gets the same engine power as a Mercedes then its chassis won't cope, rendering my custom setup useless. Armed with this piece of <ahem> brilliant analytical thinking I set about readying myself for the next club race - Azerbaijani, another very technical track full of walls for to make my chief mechanic a happy man. So Ispent another two days practicing on this track until I got my lap times consistently into the low 1:45s - not lightning quick, I know but quick enough.
And now is when my "cunning plan" came into effect. I set up my own custom race, invite only, and invited a second Xbox profile of mine to join. That profile sat in a Merc. Then I plonked myself into a Red Bull and did a few laps. Sure enough I struggled a bit but I came back into the pits a few times and tweaked the wings and a few other settings until I was happy. I saved this setup as "RB Azer dry online".
And the next day, confident that my 'genius' thinking would pay off, I sat at my steering column (aka my Xbox contoller) awaiting an invite. At this point the call of nature overcame me so I swiftly nipped to the wc. On my return I saw the invite and accepted it. Aaaaaaarrgh ! Someone else had taken the second Red Bull seat. You can guess the rest. I limped round in a Sauber in 1:48ish then crashed the car badly on the second qualifying lap and didn't even.make it to the race :D

So, questions :
Is this a real problem? if yes how do you overcome it?

or

Am I just a moron who's over analysing things?  (Iadmit that this is highly likely, me being a moron that is).

Cheers 

Comments

• ShimassiShimassi Member New Car Smell
    As long as it's on equal cars, all the cars online should feel exactly the same so a setup that works for one should work for another. Some people say they can feel a difference between the cars (I can't). I tend to play around in the Merc in TT till I find a setup that's fast/pretty comfortable then jump into the Merc in GP mode and do the first few of laps of a 50% race. The lack of tyre wear/tyre temps/fuel in TT can make the car feel very different compared to race conditions.
  • 10P210P2 Member New Car Smell
    Shimassi said:
    As long as it's on equal cars, all the cars online should feel exactly the same so a setup that works for one should work for another. Some people say they can feel a difference between the cars (I can't). I tend to play around in the Merc in TT till I find a setup that's fast/pretty comfortable then jump into the Merc in GP mode and do the first few of laps of a 50% race. The lack of tyre wear/tyre temps/fuel in TT can make the car feel very different compared to race conditions.
    Thanks for the answer Shimmasi. There is definitely a difference online - well at least for me there is anyway. Bear in mind that I had problems even with the qualifying laps when the fuel load must be pretty much the same as for a time trial.
    I'm beginning to wonder if my internet upload speed has any bearing on this - or even my ping to the server.

• GussieGussie Member New Car Smell
    10P2 said:
    Shimassi said:
    Thanks for the answer Shimmasi. There is definitely a difference online - well at least for me there is anyway. Bear in mind that I had problems even with the qualifying laps when the fuel load must be pretty much the same as for a time trial.
    I'm beginning to wonder if my internet upload speed has any bearing on this - or even my ping to the server.

I have recently been racing in online series too and have encountered almost the same problem as you. With my setup in TT I am comfortably inside the top 20% in the world but come race day I’m nowhere and the car feels twitchy as. I’ve started trying to mellow my setup down a bit by reducing the ballast by 2 and taking a click of front wing off. Seems to have helped a bit but still nowhere near where my pace should be. 

Hopefully you’re still around and have found an answer or two or someone else might see this and help out 🙏
  • nickkcinnickkcin Member New Car Smell
    I think the lack of speed comes from the other cars around you, I mean I feel great with a car that qualifies in the top 6 or 7 but come race day I'm still a few seconds slower. Could be the fuel load, could be the fact that I'm trying to avoid other cars, shoot could just be dirty air. At this point I've just decided to play with my ERS on laps and stretches of how I'm using it and I'm usually top half. I'll see how all this goes with a league though.