Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

GRID Career Mode

So with Autosport on the Horizon I decided to go back and reminisce over the original game and start a Career Mode series.

Nothing fancy, but I would appreciate your comments and feedback! :)

"If in doubt , flat out" - Colin McRae 1968 -2007

Comments

• Rudolph1992Rudolph1992 Member New Car Smell
    great! i did the grid 1 career, also again just 2 weeks ago. and it stays fun to do, keep it up!
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    edited May 2014
    wish I could rive as well as that great driving I could barely keep the thing on the road when I played chasing those AI

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• RubyRubyRubyRuby Member Unleaded
    edited May 2014
    I've noticed remarks several times here and another forum about GRID being to hard to drive.  For the benefit of new GRID players I would just like to point out that GRID's default driving settings are terrible.  It took me some time to get it right when I started in '08, and tuning the settings makes all the difference in the world.  I'm not talking about Assists - go to Main Menu > Options > Driving Options > Advanced.  There are seven adjustments available and it's purely a matter of trial and error.  What works best for you will vary from PC to PC as well as player to player.  I have GRID on two PCs and my settings are different on each.  Spend some time with it.  You won't regret it.

Frank
    PC/keyboard; offline single player.
    Post edited by RubyRuby on
    edited May 2014
    RubyRuby said:
    I've noticed remarks several times here and another forum about GIRD being to hard to drive.  For the benefit of new GRID players I would just like to point out that GRID's default driving settings are terrible.  It took me some time to get it right when I started in '08, and tuning the settings makes all the difference in the world.  I'm not talking about Assists - go to Main Menu > Options > Driving Options > Advanced.  There are seven adjustments available and it's purely a matter of trial and error.  What works best for you will vary from PC to PC as well as player to player.  I have GRID on two PCs and my settings are different on each.  Spend some time with it.  You won't regret it.

Frank
    unfortunately my copy of grid doesn't seem to be working properly anyway right now so probably just as well with Autosport on the horizon and I do have other racing games to keep me going in the meantime anyway playing F1 2012 and the Shift games at the moment in anticipation of this great masterpiece. :D
    Post edited by sjsharp2010 on

It will be interesting to see how my own racing develops following the GRID A release.  I have bought several racing games since I bought GRID, yet GRID is still the game I play the most.  I think GRID A is going to be good, but not sure whether it will be such that I will want to play it more than GRID.

Stay out of the kitty litter!

Frank
    I think out of the modern day racers F1 2010 is probably the one that I play most that and maybe Dirt 2 although I don't have Dirt 2 installed at the moment on my PC. On  the touring car side Shift is probably the one I go for because it has mostly proper race tracks and I feel like I'm in a race as the AI doesn't take off like a rocket leaving me spinning my wheels but is fast enough to keep me under pressure if I make a mistake so is a good balance. With Grid 1 I never felt this was the case as I did feel I was struggling to keep up with the AI most of the time. In fact I was pretty much flat out just trying to keep up.

Sounds like your Advanced Settings need some work.

Frank
  • evanzo7evanzo7 Member Wheel Nut
    edited February 2016
    Well until GT5 came out Grid and Dirt 2 where never out of my playstation, adored those games so much.
    Dirt 3 was the only one of either of the series' next games that almost captured the greatness of those other two.

I have plenty of other Grid videos lined up for release soon! :)
    Post edited by evanzo7 on

• Oscar97Oscar97 Member Wheel Nut
    The only issue I have with Grid 1 is the AI. In some tracks (one of Long Beach tracks with fast cars, mostly), they can't take turns without ramming everybody around them.
    edited May 2014
    Oscar97 said:
    The only issue I have with Grid 1 is the AI. In some tracks (one of Long Beach tracks with fast cars, mostly), they can't take turns without ramming everybody around them.

yeah I think that was mostly the problem for me too I could take and handle the tracks just fine for the most part it was the AI's general speed that was the problem because even on easy they were leaving me behind in their tyre smoke it's not really the cars or handling I had issues with it was the AI.

Grid 2's AI for me was much better but the career was nowhere near as good as what 1 is as I never completed 1 and was always a bit short for my liking. It was still good fun don't get me wrong I was just expecting something a bit bigger especially given how long it was between 1 and 2.

Autosport sounds a lot better though as it seems to have a mix of what for me are the best bits of both 1 and 2 Grid 2's excellent graphics and Grid 1's career and handling structures that and the few new extra assists they've put in as well should allow me to play exactly the way I want.

Here is the second video from this series! :)

evanzo7 said:

wish I could drive street races as well as that. That was awesome

• Bob422Bob422 Member New Car Smell
    RubyRuby said:
    I've noticed remarks several times here and another forum about GRID being to hard to drive.  For the benefit of new GRID players I would just like to point out that GRID's default driving settings are terrible.  It took me some time to get it right when I started in '08, and tuning the settings makes all the difference in the world.  I'm not talking about Assists - go to Main Menu > Options > Driving Options > Advanced.  There are seven adjustments available and it's purely a matter of trial and error.  What works best for you will vary from PC to PC as well as player to player.  I have GRID on two PCs and my settings are different on each.  Spend some time with it.  You won't regret it.

Frank

Unfortunately Grid Autosport will only have those Advanced Options available if you are using a WHEEL THAT IS SUPPORTED BY THE GAME! So if you're using a gamepad, keyboard or joystick, you are screwed just like you were in Grid 2. I guess Codemasters doesn't feel that non wheel users should be able to fine tune their controller of choice. Too bad too because me and a few friends were really looking forward to Autosport.

Bob

• MiatakiasGRMiatakiasGR Member Pit Crew
    yeah we need controler adjustements for gamepads too!!  :-S
    Here is my 3rd video! :)

at least you didn't come last :p looked a pretty tough race that one

at least you didn't come last :p looked a pretty tough race that one
    Haha yeah! :P

I enjoyed these split class ones, always pushed and tried to beat the class above me! :)

• SRS13Rastus1701SRS13Rastus1701 Member Pit Crew
    edited June 2014
    evanzo7 said:

Liking the vids :) brings back a load of memories

I take it you're using a controller to play? (I'm assuming that you are due to the the rapid twitching when you steer). I've got a tip for a better race start for you evanzo7.

If the controller has analogue triggers use them for throttle and brake, then when waiting for the countdown sit the throttle 1 notch (the white bars surrounding the speedo) below max power, this way you get less wheelspin off the line and don't lose so much distance and avoid being swamped by anyone behind you.

I got accused of cheating by sooo many people online just because of this little trick :)

I played somewhere in the region of 28 seasons in SP and even managed to beat the game on Ninja settings, enjoyed every minute of it and being the lucky git already playing GAS, I'm already enjoying it just as much as the original :D

Can't wait for it to launch and get some human competition, be warned though, the AI in GAS is very good but if you try any shunting to pass, when they catch you (and they will if you make too many errors) they'll return the favour.....
    It seems I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....:D
  • KazzyMacKazzyMac Member Unleaded
    evanzo7 said:

I take it your using a controller to play? (I'm assuming that you are due to the the rapid twitching when you steer). I got a tip for a better race start for you evanzo7.

If the controller has analogue triggers use them for throttle and brake, then when waiting for the countdown sit the throttle 1 notch below max power, this way you get less wheelspin off the line and don't lose so much distance and avoid being swamped by anyone behind you.

I got accused of cheating by sooo many people online just because of this little trick :)
    I learned to put it 2 below, and then gradually ease it up over the course of the next 1-2 seconds once it starts. That is actually what the AI does, which I learned from the "AI driver" cheat, and from racing online I'm generally getting one of the best starts in any Touring race.

If you do have the AI Driver cheats I do recommend setting it up since the AI will show you what the general optimal throttle for the race starts are for any given car. :)
    evanzo7 said:

Liking the vids :) brings back a load of memories

I take it you're using a controller to play? (I'm assuming that you are due to the the rapid twitching when you steer). I've got a tip for a better race start for you evanzo7.

If the controller has analogue triggers use them for throttle and brake, then when waiting for the countdown sit the throttle 1 notch (the white bars surrounding the speedo) below max power, this way you get less wheelspin off the line and don't lose so much distance and avoid being swamped by anyone behind you.

I played somewhere in the region of 28 seasons in SP and even managed to beat the game on Ninja settings, enjoyed every minute of it and being the lucky git already playing GAS, I'm already enjoying it just as much as the original :D

Can't wait for it to launch and get some human competition, be warned though, the AI in GAS is very good but if you try any shunting to pass, when they catch you (and they will if you make too many errors) they'll return the favour.....
    Yeah controller, need to buy a wheel again but waiting to see one compatible with PS3 & 4.

I used to do that but this is all just fun now, going back and playing! :)
    I use X and Square though, old school haha! 
    No where near as good at this game as I used to be!