Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The PC Thread

RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Champion
edited April 2014 in Off-topic Discussion
So as some of you know, I was putting together a gaming PC before the forums went down. The last time I posted I was running an FX 8320 and a GTX 660 (pictured below). But since then my specs have changed quite a bit!

The old rig:

And this is where I'm at now with my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
GPU: Palit GTX 770 OC
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) Corsair XMS3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R With side window
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD: Toshiba HDTS312XZSTA 128GB 
HDD's: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Hitachi HDS721050CLA660 500GB
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD Rewriter
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 5.1
Speakers: Creative T6300 5.1
Fans: 4x 120mm Aerocool Shark Blue LED, 2x 140mm Aerocool Shark Blue LED
Lights: 2 strips of blue LED's

Feel free to post your own rigs and specs too!
Post edited by RevolvingPrawn on

Comments

• What have we done? He's turned into the biggest PC nerd of all time!
  • Lol, blame Hughesy and Herby! And Microsoft and Sony for making consoles with crap specs :p
  • EdMaEdMa Wheel Nut
    I know laptops aren't generally great for gaming but does anyone know how much I'd be set back going for a laptop that would run BF4/3 and or DayZ decently. My current laptop is getting to the end of it's life pretty much and I need one with a much much better GPU to run Photoshop, Premiere, Maya etc for my Uni course. Was thinking alternatively of getting a steam box for the games and a cheaper laptop, as I like freedom of using a computer anywhere and not being confined to one place, but then that would likely not be able to run the software I need.
  • Probably around £500. I spent £498 on my Medion Akoya P6643 and it can run BF4 with a mix of medium and high settings.
    DayZ it runs with everything turned right down, but even my main PC has problems with that with how it is atm.
  • nothing wrong with being a PC nerd I should know I'm one myself recently bought a new rig myself not with the specs I wanted initially but it's still impressive here are my specs

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Processor AMD FX8350 4ghz

Graphics cards 2x Palit GTX770's 4gb

3tb hard drive space 

blue LED lighting much like yours Revolving prawn

looking to boost it's speed by adding a 500gb SSD but I just need some money for it first

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• How do the 770's perform SLI'd bud? Are you using one purely for PhysX? I could probably stretch to getting another but I've not often read good things about SLI or CrossFire.

And you'll love the SSD! Other than my i7, it was one of the biggest jumps in performance I had.
  • How do the 770's perform SLI'd bud? Are you using one purely for PhysX? I could probably stretch to getting another but I've not often read good things about SLI or CrossFire.

And you'll love the SSD! Other than my i7, it was one of the biggest jumps in performance I had.
    yeah the second one deals with PhysX and I've never had problems with SLI personally as my old PC had SLI the only problem so far game wise with my new system was with ME1 as the characters turn into black blocks on a couple of the levels but thanks to EA's website I was able to resolve that problem by using the games console. Aside from that everything's working perfectly I'm even able to run Tomb raider at close to maximum I have to turn off tessellation but Tress FX and everything else is working brilliantly. With the graphics up at 7.8/7.9 and the processor up there too. I definitely need an SSD given my hard drive is bottlenecking at 5.9. I was going to put some of my games on it as well as Windows that's why I was going to get that size. I didn't want to go too high because it's expensive but some of my older games won't really need the extra speed it's mostly newer games like TR that do I think. I'm hoping to get the SSD in another couple of weeks or so so that'll complete my build for now once that's in

• Do you go by Windows Experience score? I don't have that on Windows 8.1 :p
    Same with TressFX but strangely enough, tessellation isn't a problem for me but that could be down to the i7 I suppose.

The SSD will deffo help with games, my Windows install only takes up about 20GB, programs about 10GB so I use some of the 90 spare for my most played games. Gotta say though, I had my FX 8320 OC'd to 4.2Ghz and couldn't max Tomb Raider even with the SSD. Put the i7 in and it maxed absolutely no problems.

• Do you go by Windows Experience score? I don't have that on Windows 8.1 :p
    Same with TressFX but strangely enough, tessellation isn't a problem for me but that could be down to the i7 I suppose.

The SSD will deffo help with games, my Windows install only takes up about 20GB, programs about 10GB so I use some of the 90 spare for my most played games. Gotta say though, I had my FX 8320 OC'd to 4.2Ghz and couldn't max Tomb Raider even with the SSD. Put the i7 in and it maxed absolutely no problems.
    yeah I do but that's why that was put into Win 7 I think to help people decide if they needed to upgrade where the best places to do so were maybe in your case it may have been the 660's holding you back as they're quite old slower cards now whereas the 700 series aer faster I may be able to use tessellation once the SSD's in but i'll need to test that to be sure. my F1 games respond faster on my new system thanks to the newer cards anyway

• Very true, I usually use benchmarks like 3DMark now to figure out where I am :) 

As for the 660, I had my 770 in with the 8320 for about a month and that's the time I meant I couldn't max Tomb Raider. The 660 did the job for a while, but it couldn't max everything and that was what I wanted to do lol.

What does have to be said for the FX CPU's though, they are amazing at multitasking. Like if you minimise a game and open a load of other programs they just don't slow down, the PC still runs perfectly. Whereas with my i7 if I minimise a game, even opening Chrome is a bit juddery and stuttery.

F1 with your setup is just awesome though, I find it so hard to go back and play the Xbox version now lol, it's almost like it's insulting my eyes to play it on console!
  • yeah I've noticed that too the boot times a little slow on my new system I've noticed as it can take 3 minutes or so to boot up but the SSD will fix that issue and maybe the fact I have 2 770's working in SLI may have countered the issues you were having with yours. yeah F1 is working well on my system but then I feel the same way with FIFA too especially given the load times are faster too on PC with my specs the games pretty much handle flawlessly. But then FIFA handled pretty well on my old system too Will probably keep those on the hard drive though as I'll be saving the SSD for the more demanding games where I think it'll be needed. The only time I tend to play football on console is when I play the world cup game seeing as EA keep choosing to release those only on consoles and not on PC and have chosen that route again this year which I think is stupid on their part

• Found the case I will be getting, at last. Going to give that a bookmark, looks sleek.  :x
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Champion
    edited April 2014

imageThis is the case I have for mine

having trouble with the picture but it's a very sleek Cyberpower case

finally fixed it

Post edited by sjsharp2010 on

• Herby007Herby007 Pit Crew
    Jeez you've upgraded fez. How much you spent now getting all that? I've been out the loop with PC gaming. Working 7:30 to 6pm (including the commute in that) means the last thing I can be bothered to do is fire up the computer. That said I'm hoping to finally replace my case soon and maybe buy a SSD.
    Steam ID | PSN: HeRbY-007 | "Kept you waiting, huh?"
  • Herby007 said:
    Jeez you've upgraded fez. How much you spent now getting all that? I've been out the loop with PC gaming. Working 7:30 to 6pm (including the commute in that) means the last thing I can be bothered to do is fire up the computer. That said I'm hoping to finally replace my case soon and maybe buy a SSD.
    yeah we both have

• Herby007 said:
    Haha I don't wanna total it all up out of fear :p The stuff that's in there currently is about £970. But since August I've been through 5/6 GPU's, 4 cases, 4 PSU's, 4 Sticks of RAM, 4 CPU Coolers, 3 CPU's, 3 motherboards, 2 optical drives, around 15 fans, and a partridge in a pear tree :p

Just timed my boot up time sjs, 19 seconds from button press to desktop ;) And that's with Quick Boot disabled. Gotta love an SSD!
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Champion
    edited April 2014
    Herby007 said:
    Haha I don't wanna total it all up out of fear :p The stuff that's in there currently is about £970. But since August I've been through 5/6 GPU's, 4 cases, 4 PSU's, 4 Sticks of RAM, 4 CPU Coolers, 3 CPU's, 3 motherboards, 2 optical drives, around 15 fans, and a partridge in a pear tree :p

Just timed my boot up time sjs, 19 seconds from button press to desktop ;) And that's with Quick Boot disabled. Gotta love an SSD!
    that's why I want one :D mine cost a total of about £1760 I think. I forgot to add I have 32gb of ram as well in my new system. With the SSD I wanted it would have been over £2000 and I couldn't afford to go that high allin one go which is why I'm having to wait for the SSD once it's in though I'll be really happy
    Post edited by sjsharp2010 on

• alonsofan46alonsofan46 Race Steward
    Herby007 said:

@-) ; :))   I'm currently trying to laugh with my jaw on the floor.
    #FORZAJULES
    KEEP FIGHTING MICHAEL
    2014 PREDICTOR FORUM GAME CHAMPION !!!
  • couger1981couger1981 Race Engineer
    edited April 2014
    Mine is

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.2 quad core
    GPU: Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    M/B: Asus p8h61-mx
    RAM: 4GB Corsair
    Sound: Onboard 5.1
    Hard drive(s): Seagate 500GB Sata
                        WD 1TB Sata
    Optical drive: Liteon DVD burner
    PSU: 550w
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2017
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• Mine is

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.2 quad core
    GPU: Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    M/B: Asus p8h61-mx
    RAM: 4GB Corsair
    Sound: Onboard 5.1
    Hard drive(s): Seagate 500GB Sata
                        WD 1TB Sata
    Optical drive: Liteon DVD burner
    PSU: 550w
    nice amount of ram might want to add a bit more there soon though given most games need about 8gb ram. your CPU's got a reasonable speed with the newer games consoles though you may want to consider a graphics card upgrade. Just an observation