Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 4 : Default Tuning

Suggestion:

• Add a "default tuning" option in difficulty settings, with the following choices: "beginner", "advanced"
  • When choosing "beginner", the cars would be tuned as they are now (by default).
  • When choosing "advanced", the cars would be tuned in a more true-to-life fashion, similar to (or inspired by) Dirt Rally and real-life rally car setups.

The "beginner" setting would be appropriate for newcomers and users looking for a "gamer" experience while the "advanced" setting would satisfy the sim-hungry crowd. The “advanced” setting should also be selected by default when the user chooses “Simulation” mode.

Discussion:

First, let's acknowledge that there was quite a backlash against Dirt 4's physics, whether fully justified or not. If I'm not mistaken, the physics thread is one of the longest / most controversial in the forums.

After being initially skeptical of the physics myself (being a big Dirt Rally fan), I've been playing Dirt 4 for a while to give it a chance and have concluded (as some others did) that the "car handles wrong" issues might at least partially be caused by beginner-friendly default car tunings, and can be fixed (if only in part) by tuning the cars differently.

The thing is, I'd rather spend time driving and mastering a professionally-tuned car than fiddling with tuning options, which requires rather advanced car physics knowledge to get right.

Like many, I have limited time to devote to gaming, but when I do play I want the full sim experience, and I can't currently get that with Dirt 4 without much fiddling and time lost in menus tweaking diffs and camber and whatnot. Mind you, I do have an interest in learning about this stuff, but I don't want to be forced to learn it upfront to get the "sim" experience. I bet many feel this way too.

I’d also bet that the proportion of people who regularly tinkered with tuning settings in Dirt Rally is quite small compared to the whole DR-playing population. This might indicate that there is a market for the suggested “advanced tuning presets”. Check your analytics, Codemasters!

In a Dirt 4 pre-release video (which I can't currently find at the moment), Paul mentioned (I'm paraphrasing) that the cars were tuned to be "beginner-friendly" because the game was meant for a larger audience than Dirt Rally, and that advanced users could tune the cars to their liking if they didn't like the default tunes.

I think that by only offering “beginner” tuning presets, Codemasters has indirectly lost the confidence of many of the fans that they gained with Dirt Rally, leading many of those to consider Dirt 4 fundamentally flawed as a sim. The Dirt 4 physics might not be perfect, but default car tuning definitely has something to do with that.

I think that adding the suggested "default tuning" setting (or something similar) might help a great deal to please everyone. If not in Dirt 4, then at least in the next iteration of Codemasters' rally series.

What do you people think?

Comments

• MrDeapMrDeap Member Pit Crew
    Personally I thing the setup is mostly fine, I think they need an auto setting for alignment. 

Also add a feature suspension auto-rebalance for each section such as ARB, Spring & damper for a relatively flat surface. It wouldn't be perfect & I don't expect to be, but will help player to understand & learn a bit better the setup function.
    Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D
  • adsadsadsadsadsads Member Unleaded
    I think the direction they went with for the default tunes was definitely the wrong way to go. I get that wanted the learning curve to be less steep than DR, but that's already achieved by the available car classes early in career. Making the cars boring gives a horrible first impression. The kind of audience you're trying to target with the 'safer' setups aren't going to go to the effort messing around with setups to make the game more fun. Making the use of other people's setups much more difficult makes it even worse.
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Wheel Nut
    great idea!!! +1

Body is 24 characters too short
  • FizzlenogFizzlenog Member New Car Smell
    I think it's more of a physics issue. I've tuned the cars for maximum oversteer and this boils down to spin in circles when applying brakes but heavy understeer while on throttle even with weight transfer. On the physics side the front tires have way too much grip and then there is an invisible assist slowing down the tire spin and an assist straightening the car when the tires are sliding. I figure it would help the braking drift but maybe since it doesn't see the rear tires touching the ground (high front grip) it doesn't apply there. It's weird getting used to these issues like when you want to slide let off the gas and apply some brake pressure but be careful since it can get out of control quickly. If you are going too slow you dive too far inside the corner though.
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    If I'm to be quite honest the biggest problem with setups in D4 compared to DR was that there were no basic and advanced settings like DR had. It was much easier to just do some basic dialing first in DR, then go in and change the details later. Many times in D4 I just don't have the time and interest to start fiddling with 10 different sliders just to get it slightly softer, whereas in DR I just changed the suspension to softer on the basic level and it most often changed the settings in roughly the right way.
    In D4 it's... *sigh* Allright, let's increase the ride height a bit, then tweak 6 spring settings, then fiddle with 10 damper settings. Only to find that one of those settings was a bit off but it's hard to find the exact one. 
    I pay a bloody head engineer in D4, I ought to be able to tell him to soften the rear a bit :-P
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• michaelfmichaelf Member New Car Smell
    Dytut said:
    Many times in D4 I just don't have the time and interest to start fiddling with 10 different sliders just to get it slightly softer, whereas in DR I just changed the suspension to softer on the basic level and it most often changed the settings in roughly the right way.
    [...]
    I pay a bloody head engineer in D4, I ought to be able to tell him to soften the rear a bit :-P
    That's good too. That would be a nice addition to the proposed feature, or at least a reasonable enhancement from the current situation.

@Fizzlenog True, I've been playing with the tuning settings some more and always find that I'm not able to get the car to behave quite as I would expect it to. It must be a compounded issue, somehow. Default tuning + physics.

My proposal would at least take care of one of those two problematic aspects.
  • FizzlenogFizzlenog Member New Car Smell
    michaelf said:
    Dytut said:
    Many times in D4 I just don't have the time and interest to start fiddling with 10 different sliders just to get it slightly softer, whereas in DR I just changed the suspension to softer on the basic level and it most often changed the settings in roughly the right way.
    [...]
    That's good too. That would be a nice addition to the proposed feature, or at least a reasonable enhancement from the current situation.

@Fizzlenog True, I've been playing with the tuning settings some more and always find that I'm not able to get the car to behave quite as I would expect it to. It must be a compounded issue, somehow. Default tuning + physics.

My proposal would at least take care of one of those two problematic aspects.
    They say they were looking into it and the last update from them hinted that they still were and are maybe close to a solution. If it does get fixed and also release their first dlc with the patch it will bring this game to life.
  • michaelfmichaelf Member New Car Smell
    That would be incredible but I'm doubtful that we'll see radical physics changes to Dirt 4 at this point. I'm ready to be proven wrong though! I think it's not far fetched to think those kinds of enhancements could be implemented in Dirt 5, at least.