Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Dirt 3 handling..

I must say probably the worst handling game made by code masters . Every single car on every track runs the same like your on ice , tires constantly spin . Hope dirt 4 is nothing like this poor handling game.

Comments

• DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    edited June 2014
    Or maybe you're just not good at driving?
    Post edited by Didzis on
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Race Steward
    I actually find the dirt 3 handling fine. Better than WRC4 for example.

Maybe you were just driving in Norway ?
  • V8R3L3NTL3SS1V8R3L3NTL3SS1 Member Unleaded
    I'm a perfectly fine driver , I just like my vehicle to handle differently on different surfaces if you like the feeling of driving on glass more power to you .
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    Having trouble cornering R3l3lntl3ss? It's hard having to brake, turn and avoid the walls all at the same time isn't it.

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

Ya u nailed  I can't turn.
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    I actually hated the handling on 3, and quit playing it after a fairly short time.

Then I got my Fanatec CSR, and I played it with that. Loved it, and played the hell out of it from then on. Only real thing I didn't like about 3, was there was WAY too many times I'd just barely touch the "edge" of the track and it would just send me flying. While I'm not against some courses being challenging and having that, I do feel that they need a better mix, and bring back some of the Grid 2, wider tracks that made for some great fun.
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    I actually thought the handling in DiRT 3 was the best of the DiRT games! A world away from the atrocious handling in DiRT*...

(*  no offence Codemasters: I just thought DiRT 2 and 3 highlighted how bad the D1 handling was!)

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

tbtstt said:
    I actually thought the handling in DiRT 3 was the best of the DiRT games! A world away from the atrocious handling in DiRT*...

(*  no offence Codemasters: I just thought DiRT 2 and 3 highlighted how bad the D1 handling was!)
    D2 and 3 were much better than D1.

As regards the tracks, a lot of them have a ditch/abrupt rough ground by the side, unlike F1 where you have a smooth run off. I have never driven a rally car, but I guess sticking two wheels into the ditch, you wouldn't normally expect the outcome to be to your advantage. Probably one of the areas where D3 is more sim and less cade.
  • Avenga76Avenga76 Member Wheel Nut
    I used to rally an old Avenger and I can tell you if you go "off track" then things go very bad very quickly. This is what happened last time I stuck two wheels in a ditch in my old rally car. It took me about 6 months to repair the damage. At least in DiRT 3 you can push the reset button.

As for grip in DiRT 3. I think it is fine, if anything you have a little too much grip. With proper throttle control it is pretty easy to control.

"you wouldn't normally expect the outcome to be to your advantage".

A good demonstration of a picture being worth more than a thousand words - or 12 at least.
    Wait let me get this right a little to much grip lol. If there was less grip this game would be in the trash. D2 handling was the best IMO. BTW I've played and platinumed the game 2x working on my 3rd now 80%done with trophies so I can drive I'm just saying that you can't tell the difference when your on wet , dirt , asphalt,gravel,and snow / ice  it all feels the same like your on ice or gravel to me.
  • DidzisDidzis Member Race Engineer
    I'm just saying that you can't tell the difference when your on wet , dirt , asphalt,gravel,and snow / ice  it all feels the same like your on ice or gravel to me.
    What do you drive with? I'm using a cheap Logithech wheel with force feedback and I can feel the difference between tarmac, gravel and snow. Especially in places where the road changes surface, tarmac is the gripiest, gravel is second and snow is the most slippery (atleast for me, not a fan of snow tracks), but each of the feels different
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
    I'm using a PS3 controller which I'm sure contributes to poor handling.
    I'm using a PS3 controller which I'm sure contributes to poor handling.

Don't think using the game on a controller you can really be a fair judge there is no ff and the controller "pedals" are tough in terms of the analog travel. I think a lot of the problems with F1 2013 that people complained about were due to the fact that you have to be really subtle with the throttle to avoid tyre wear and the PS3 controller does not have enough travel to make that subtlety easy.

Also, I do not drive rally for real, but my guess is that although driving on snow and dirt is different, there is not so much loss in grip as someone not used to driving may imagine. The reason for this is that snow tyres are pretty good at gripping, its just the odd patch of sheet ice that screws you over.

I think your comments reflect what others I have read on the web say, but I think it is probably more of an issue of being able to express the subtle differences in handling through what is really a relatively limited level of controller range rather than some sort of issue with the game.

I still can't make my mind up whether to go for the wheel or not ...
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    Avenga76 said:
    I used to rally an old Avenger and I can tell you if you go "off track" then things go very bad very quickly. This is what happened last time I stuck two wheels in a ditch in my old rally car. It took me about 6 months to repair the damage. At least in DiRT 3 you can push the reset button.

As for grip in DiRT 3. I think it is fine, if anything you have a little too much grip. With proper throttle control it is pretty easy to control.

Assuming you're responding to me, as I said, I don't have a problem with some tracks being like that, but you didn't just go off the edge of a track a bit, you drove into a mountain. A bit different from putting one wheel off the edge on a flat track and going flying off the opposite side of the track.
    And actually, your vid proved my point, since you didn't go flying and land on the other side of the track lol :P
  • Visceral01Visceral01 Member New Car Smell
    The handling in d3 is great but takes time getting used to. It's tough because of the tight steering ratios and most cars are set up to easily transfer weight. Throttle and brake control is a must, brake in straight sections maintain throttle through corner and accelerate out. Drive with the throttle. Visit www.wrc.com and check out videos on dirt stages and how the cars oversteer and shift weight. D3's physics look very similar to real life.
  • ARCNoOneARCNoOne Member Unleaded
    My only real issue with Dirt 2/3 handling was that the steering was locked to 180 degrees on console.
    That made the cars much more twitchy than they should have been.
    It was much better after I got my Fanatec, and could set the lock-to-lock on the wheel itself.

And I want the opposite of what some people here want.
    I would like the stages in the next game to be much tighter, and a lot more technical.
    The stages in the Dirt series have been getting wider and straighter with each new release.
  • pupazzopupazzo Member Unleaded
    ARCNoOne said:

And I want the opposite of what some people here want.
    I would like the stages in the next game to be much tighter, and a lot more technical.
    The stages in the Dirt series have been getting wider and straighter with each new release.
    This.
    The stages I liked more in the DiRT series were Croatia in DiRT 2 and Monte Carlo in DiRT 3 because they were more challenging than the others and you couldn't simply go flat out all the time.
    I really liked the handling in DiRT 3 but I must say that it's a bit too easy and arcade oriented.
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Website and social: http://ilchiodi.it