Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

So GFWL isn't shutting down

NSE466NSE466 Member New Car Smell
Roughly 3 Hours ago Microsoft (That company that owns Windows 8) isn't removing Games For Windows live, they said

"We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service," and "We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future."- Microsoft
So are you any way 'happy' that it lives?

I'm happy as games like Operation Flashpoint will continue to have GFWL support as I plan to get them as they look pretty neat. Also Fuel is managing to stay alive

Twitter: NSE466
Steam: NSE466
GFWL/XBL: NSE466

Comments

• RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    Happy? Hell no. GFWL is a stain on PC games. Every game I've played with it I've had to do some kind of stupid workaround to get em working. It's rubbish.
  • BritpointBritpoint Member, Codemasters Codemasters Employee
    This is a pretty good state of affairs I think as you won't be able to buy new stuff or receive updates, so its purely for legacy support. Good for all the games that require the service and aren't being moved onto something else like Steamworks.
    Senior Game Designer at Codemasters. Opinions expressed are my own.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Happy? Hell no. GFWL is a stain on PC games. Every game I've played with it I've had to do some kind of stupid workaround to get em working. It's rubbish.
    It's Ok though if you own games that are tied to it though like for example games like Bulletstorm which is one such game that I have that's tied to it. I never had any issues with GFWL but then I stick to the SP campaigns on games anyway

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    It's Ok though if you own games that are tied to it though like for example games like Bulletstorm which is one such game that I have that's tied to it. I never had any issues with GFWL but then I stick to the SP campaigns on games anyway
    Dark Souls. The first time running that game is an absolute nightmare if you're using Windows 8. I spent more time trying to get it to work than I've even spent in the game yet.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Dark Souls. The first time running that game is an absolute nightmare if you're using Windows 8. I spent more time trying to get it to work than I've even spent in the game yet.
    I'm guessing Windows 8 isn't fully compatible with it then I don't have that game but I know Bulletstorm is tied in with GFWL though not had any issues making it all work in Windows 7 though

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto