Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

GRID Autosport Feedback

We've spoke a lot about Autosport over the last nine weeks but now it's your turn, we want to hear what you think, the likes, dislikes, what you think we've done well, what you think we could improve upon. While this covers game mechanics and features I'd also be interested in what you think we could have done better in the run up, what did you like about the content we put out, would else would you like to see, what could we do better to improve?

Please use this thread for all your GRID Autosport Feedback, we look forward to hearing what you think!

(EU players, I know it's hard, but please don't use this thread to curse your North American colleagues, your time is just a few days away)
Community Manager at Codemasters, wears a robe and wizard hat
Find me on Twitter | Steam

Comments

• oring1oring1 New Car Smell
    edited June 2014
    I loved the streams via twitch for grid2. Why didn't you do that for GAS? Btw can't wait for the game. :((
  • It was good not having a massive wait for the release, 2 months for GRID compared to 2 YEARS for GTA! Lots of content was good as well. I would have liked to have seen the livestreams again, but I wasn't too fussed.

As for the game, I still have to wait until Friday :(

Michael

Real life rally co-driver and Full time agricultural student

-------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One League - Michaels League - Feel free to join!

• KazzyMacKazzyMac Unleaded
    MTonly said:
    Why not all F1 tracks in Autosport?
    Why not all GRID2 tracks in Autosport (California, Cote D'Azur and Miami missing)?

Couldn't they be just copied to Autosport given that the games share the same EGO engine and are (unlike first GRID) quite identical as for graphics? Thanks.
    The point-to-point circuits were unpopular and it was a common community request that there be more circuit-based races, so Codemasters took that on-board and left point-to-points out of Autosport.

As for F1 tracks? Licensing, probably. That, and they'd have to spend time creating fictional 'north' and 'south' circuits for slower cars such as the touring cars since otherwise it's going to take them like 3 minutes a lap.
  • BioShockerUKBioShockerUK New Car Smell
    One thing I can suggest, having not yet played the game yet till friday, but I've been looking into racenet, and the clubs. In there is a basic editor for making your club badge. I see this as a major weak point so far, and I'm hoping the livery editor is a lot more advanced and/or improved. 

If you take the emblems editor from Battlefield's Battlelog for example, that is actually pretty good, and enables various shapes to be re-sized, rotated, and layered with obvious colors changing options also. 

Your current system allows a small selection for the background, and a small selection for the foreground, but only two layers! This isn't exactly the customization level we should have at this stage in gaming technologies.

Just some minor constructive criticism for you! Also, does anyone have any information on how the livery editor play's out in the game, is it akin to Forza or Shift's system? Or is it as basic as the club badge system?
    Join the new =UW= Racing Club @ www.universialwarriors.net
    Any skill/level welcome...friendly mature PC multi-gaming Community
  • LooreLoore Champion
    edited June 2014
    MTonly said:
    @Loore:
    Why not all F1 tracks in Autosport?
    Why not all GRID2 tracks in Autosport (California, Cote D'Azur and Miami missing)?

Couldn't they be just copied to Autosport given that the games share the same EGO engine and are (unlike first GRID) quite identical as for graphics? Thanks.
    It's a bit more work than just copy + paste, if it was then yes, it'd be great to have access to that full roster of F1 tracks. Think from an art stand point, there's still a lot of work involved there. Plus with things like AI etc, every card needs 'trained' to drive around every track in the game. Then there's licensing as well. Suffice to say, there's a lot of things to factor in!

We focused firmly on circuits this time around, unfortunately Miami didn't quite make the cut, we decided to bring back San Fran / Washington isntead.
    Community Manager at Codemasters, wears a robe and wizard hat
    Find me on Twitter | Steam
  • RubyRubyRubyRuby Unleaded
    Not new issues, but I don't at all like having to order from overseas to get a disc in NA; and I don't like not having a DEMO.  More to come no doubt, but hopefully more positive.

Frank
    PC/keyboard, offline single player.
  • Awong124Awong124 Unleaded
    edited June 2014
    forums.codemasters.com/discussion/954/grid-autosport-first-impressions-by-awong124

I tried making a hyperlink, but for some reason it just links back to this thread.
  • Glad you EU players know how to listen what @loore said , you realize this is a feedback thread not a bitching thread. Anyway @loore I haven't played it enough
  • VizxynVizxyn New Car Smell
    So I've only been playing for a couple of hours so far, but I just wanted to say you guys did a fantastic job with the AI in this game. It doesn't feel unfair, and thank goodness there isn't any cheap rubberbanding. I just crank up the AI to very hard and absolutely have a blast playing with the AI. Very aggressive and not cheap. Good work. :) Also, so far I'm enjoying this a billion times more than Grid 2. It feels like Grid again.
  • UpAllKnight75UpAllKnight75 New Car Smell
     With the PC version of the game looking so good, it seems like a missed opportunity for current gen consoles. It looks a bit muddy on last gen. Is it possible for a current gen release sometime in the future? For right now I'm fine since there is no current steering wheel available for Ps4.
  • gloomgloom New Car Smell
     With the PC version of the game looking so good, it seems like a missed opportunity for current gen consoles. It looks a bit muddy on last gen. Is it possible for a current gen release sometime in the future? For right now I'm fine since there is no current steering wheel available for Ps4.
    doesnt the ps4 have the same support for wheels as the ps3? id like to still be able to use my g27 for future racing games when i eventually get a ps4. for me ive never played on a current gen console yet or had a gaming pc in over 10 years so the game looks good to me on my ps3, im sure it looks spectacular on the pc though!
  • Awong124Awong124 Unleaded
    gloom said:
    doesnt the ps4 have the same support for wheels as the ps3? id like to still be able to use my g27 for future racing games when i eventually get a ps4. for me ive never played on a current gen console yet or had a gaming pc in over 10 years so the game looks good to me on my ps3, im sure it looks spectacular on the pc though!
    That is unsure yet. PS4 doesn't have the required drivers. If wheel manufacturers want their wheels to work for PS4, they'd have to create new drivers for them. The Thrustmaster T80 is the first wheel that is fully compatible with PS4, but it's a really crappy wheel with no FFB. The Thrustmaster T300 will be fully compatible with PS4 and is coming out in August. The T300 seems kind of like the PS4 version of the TX for XBone. It's going to be a quality wheel, but it's expensive and doesn't come with a 3-pedal set or shifter. The T300 will work with a 3-pedal set and shifter, but you'd have to buy them separately.
  • DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Race Steward
    So far, my dislikes would be as follows.

Dash : There is no shift lights or gear indicator. Which means I have to leave the hud up even in cockpit view.

Clutch : Missed shifts should just take longer to engage, and damage the trans,(think Forza motorsports) not refuse to go in gear. Refusing to go in gear is annoying because the actual shifter is in gear, so you have to move it out, then back in. It isn't like real life where it doesn't go into position, so you realize it instantly. Plus in real life you can actually shift without the clutch, by RPM matching. I've done it with my street car by simply holding the gear lever against the gear I wanted it in, til it dropped in. It ruins the pacing of the game when I can't get a gear to engage. And can ruin an otherwise epic race. Something I'll probably get used to over time, but it will also make me run sequential without clutch when I race my friends, to avoid any race ruining gear misses. which sucks.

Some will disagree I'm sure, so maybe just make it an option. Like "Manual with clutch Hard" "Manual with clutch easy" Then I could run clutch easy online with my friends to maintain pacing and not risk ruining a good race.

Clutch 2 : While on the topic of clutch, something that every game fails at that bothers me, is I've never driven a car in my life, that you had to bury the clutch 100% to disengage the clutch. In fact, a lot of street/racing clutches disengage less than half pressed. There should be a bit of a dead zone at the bottom of the clutch. Adjustable would be nice.

AI : They could use a bit of a tweak, so they don't run me off into the grass on straights.

Some obvious ones,

Pit stops : There isn't any, there should be o.o

Cautions : There isn't any, there should be. (If there is any, then it must be crazy hard to get them). 

That's really all I can think of atm. I feel that I'm going to have a lot of fun with this game, so far so good. Only minor annoyances, which all games have some. I already feel like this game is much better than Grid 2. So you're definitely going in the right direction again. And I know the pitstops, cautions, and Dash are probably caused by the game being developed for the XB 360 and PS3. So not deal breakers by no means.

Happy so far! :D
  • The feeling of the open wheel cars still isn't there. They slide too much and are far to "floaty" even with all tuning variations tried. I have only tried IndyCar, mind you, but without pits, thse cars are going to be virtually un-racable unless in 2-3 lap races. You can almost get there with the right tuning and a Fanatec wheel, but they still drift around corners. That just isn't realistic. But who knows, maybe they are suited for ovals, and the other open wheelers are better or there are some things I am missing with tuning or wheel settings.

#1 - Fix the handling of the IndyCar.

The sedans, on the other hand, are fantastic. They are heave and each has its own character. I have tried the DTM, the Brazil Stockcar and the MINI. All felt spot on if your got the tuning tight (which has to go to extremes). It's not a very subtle game, tuning or handing wise, but when you get the car comfortable, the experience is great. Much better than GRID2. Closer to Race Pro IMO. But PLEASE PLEASE put rear view mirrors on these cars. It just is crazy not to.

#2 - Mirrors.

I had not realized that you could go to custom cup and have a FULL selection of teams and upgrades and cars and tracks. That's awesome. Score one for you guys. That's great for league play. Very well developed there. If we could only have pit stops. But otherwise you did a great job with the Custom Cup.
  • BritpointBritpoint Codemasters Employee
    @DarkRedSlayer - What platform and wheel are you on mate? The clutch should only require being down about 50% to count as 'depressed'. 
    Game Designer at Codemasters. Opinions expressed are my own.
    edited June 2014
    Britpoint said:
    @DarkRedSlayer - What platform and wheel are you on mate? The clutch should only require being down about 50% to count as 'depressed'. 
    Xbox 360, Fanatec CSR. CSR elite pedals and H pattern shifter.

I also just discovered a glitch. I accidently hit the wrong button and reprogrammed my clutch to A. And when I reprogrammed it back to the clutch pedal, it wouldn't register me pressing it at all (it saved it correctly in the settings screen, but didn't work on track). tried reprogramming it twice and resetting the wheel, and backing out rejoining the practice session and was just stuck in neutral. Had to restart the entire game.

I just tested it, and it takes about 80-90% clutch to get it to shift. 9/10 when it happens it takes me 3-4 tries to get it to go in gear because I'm used to only holding the clutch long enough to shift once, not twice which is what I essentially have to do to get it in gear. (That part is my fault, but it's just frustrating o.o )

Unfortunately there seems to be no clutch dead zone or saturation settings in the game, to adjust it outwards. I may just adjust my clutch pedal up to a shorter throw to avoid me ripping my shifter nob off in rage lmao.
    Post edited by DarkRedslayer on
  • Speaking of Fanatec CSR, that's what I use too. Any info or suggestions about wheel settings on the wheel itself? What about in the game. The game does not recognize my wheel as a Fanatec, but as a Microsoft Steering Wheel. Fine, but are there recommended settings across the board IN GAME for all wheels, or do wheels have different in game recommendations?
    edited June 2014
    Speaking of Fanatec CSR, that's what I use too. Any info or suggestions about wheel settings on the wheel itself? What about in the game. The game does not recognize my wheel as a Fanatec, but as a Microsoft Steering Wheel. Fine, but are there recommended settings across the board IN GAME for all wheels, or do wheels have different in game recommendations?
    Every person has their own tastes, but I run mine ;

Wheel :
    Sen : 340
    FF : 70
    Sho : 70
    Dri : 005
    ABS : 52 (this needs tweaking)
    Lin : 000
    Dea : 010
    SPR : -1
    DPR : -4

They are the settings I use at Monaco on F1 2012

Game :
    Deadzone : 0%
    Steering Sat : 100%
    Steering Lin : -4

Force feedback :

Vibration : 50% (Default)
    Wheel strength 100% (default)
    Wheel weight 30%

I'm actually pretty content with it, and I don't think I'm going to change anything.

Edit : NOTE : If you have your wheel set to 270 degree rotation or less, it goes into Xbox 360 wireless wheel emulation.
  • MatteyMattey New Car Smell
    It would be nice to have Circuito Di Milano back in GRID: Autosport...
    I think that was one of the most interesting street racing locations of all.
  • SpeedballSpeedball New Car Smell
    Okay here's what I've got so far experimenting with predominantly Open Wheel cars. I'm running on Xbox 360 with Gamepad (3rd party, my first party has worn sticks).

The feeling of the open wheel cars still isn't there. They slide too much and are far to "floaty" even with all tuning variations tried. I have only tried IndyCar, mind you, but without pits, thse cars are going to be virtually un-racable unless in 2-3 lap races. You can almost get there with the right tuning and a Fanatec wheel, but they still drift around corners. That just isn't realistic. But who knows, maybe they are suited for ovals, and the other open wheelers are better or there are some things I am missing with tuning or wheel settings.
    I'm going to disagree on the handling of the IndyCar. With finesse and a proper racing line you should be able to maneuver the IndyCar flat out around both of the oval tracks present (just like they do in real life - I've even been getting comparable lap times). I haven't been getting the sliding you speak of (unless I do something stupid or hit the grass) having run on both ovals (a 15 lap race around Autosport and a 20 lap race around Indianapolis - which is roughly 10 percent of actual race distance).

I want to say your AI isn't as good at Oval Track racing, but I could be wrong, The row of NASCAR and IndyCar games on the shelf next to my console may indicate that oval racing is one of my strong points. I've noticed on tracks that feature right turns as well the AI is much more competitive.

Speaking of the AI, What I see so far, I like. They respond to aggressiveness in kind, but reasonably. They block decently, and even caught on when I attempted a feint. The AI in high speed portions makes pretty good use of drafting.

Corner cutting penalties are greatly improved from Grid 2.

Handling of other open-wheelers is so far spot on, damage modelling is great, graphics are to your usual standard of excellence with exception to the strange cockpit view blurriness (I do feel like it's a little overboard). T-cam on the open-wheelers is excellent, and I like that the IndyCars get rolling starts. Caparo T1 is done very well. The touring and muscle cars I've tried so far have good physics to them, they seem even tighter than the first Grid (and for that matter, so does the Formula 3 car), which I found a little shocking.

And it was very kind of you to make Autosport Raceway's oval suspiciously similar in geometry to Pocono.
    :D