Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

GRID Autosport Feedback

1222324252628»

Comments

• TUSMBOXTUSMBOX Member New Car Smell
    I think that it woul be interesting add a rally discipline, too. 
    There was a rally discipline. It's called DIRT.

• Racefan107Racefan107 Member New Car Smell
    I like Grid AS better then the first two. Mostly because its the hardest to win the ai is tough! Keep going in the same direction but with pit stops and tire wear in all the disciplines. Im excited to see what this game could be on the ps4 and Xbox1
  • rcryniakrcryniak Member New Car Smell

Honestly, I think on the whole you guys did a great job with GRID Autosport.  I'm a game developer myself, and as such I have an excellent perspective on the sheer magnitude of achievement you've accomplished with this title.  The simulation mechanics are really quite good and IMO very underrated by those accusing it of being "simcade".  HOWEVER... and I truly hope this is read by the "Codies" (and I truly hope that they fix the problem)... I find myself in the unusual position of generally really liking a title, and yet NOT feeling confident in recommending it to others, nor more inclined to purchase other Codemasters racing titles because of one gigantically glaring flaw.

The reason that my my confidence in Codemasters is so shaken is because of the insanely horribly aggressive AI; particularly as employed in the Racenet Challenges' Time Trials.  Racing is a skill oriented sport. The conventional "random chance" element that works well in mere "games", has absolutely no place whatsoever in a sport/skill oriented title with such a strong simulation focus.  Even if GRID Autosport is "merely a game" from the Codemasters' point of view, they should follow the principles of quality game design which dictates that complete success should always be available and possible where the greatest level of skill is employed.  When events of random chance make it impossible to win a race with the highest accolades even when the most skillful driving is employed, I'd have to say it's just bad game design. (At least that one aspect of it.)

If one were to argue that it's "realistic" because there's some aggression in real life racing, I'd have to reply that it is the high level of aggression that is both unrealistic and often merely frustrating, missing the mark where a challenging experience is desired, yet a fiendishly frustrating experience is delivered.  While it's true that real life racing does sometimes involve some minor aggression, particularly at certain levels (NASCAR, etc.), it's not nearly as frequent as it is in GRID Autosport, and is always very carefully executed in order to unnerve a driver; and never intended to cause fatal crashes (after all, there are laws and lawsuits to be concerned with)... and even then, the open use of aggression is quite controversial.

To have AI drivers that are so aggressive that they repeatedly attempt to wreck the player's car (in some cases, several attempts within mere seconds)... where they'd be responsible for the repeated loss of human life were they put into real racecars, is just ridiculous.  It's even more ridiculous when such AI is employed in a Time Trial format where the player is trying to beat the times (or distances, rather) of other human drivers from around the world... especially when the overly aggressive AI drivers can literally and unrecoverably ruin a race no matter how skillfully the player drives, and do so over and over, race after race, forcing the player to restart dozens of times until they get "lucky" enough to not get beaten out of the possibility of a Platinum finish by the overly aggressive AI drivers.  This level of AI aggressiveness is inappropriate in this context, at best.

If one were to argue that it takes skill to evade the AI's aggressions, I'd have to agree.  However, the game is (allegedly) based on Autosport... the game isn't called "Frogger" (last I checked!), so being forced to learn how to avoid needlessly aggressive AI that are literally trying to "kill you" (aka wreck your car) is just absurd.  And even then, if you do learn masterful defensive driving, most of the time, the "bad luck of bad AI drivers" simply makes it impossible to get Platinum every time you race... reserving such highest accolade for the fortuitous combination of skillful driving and sheer dumb luck. (At least on some tracks.)  Once success becomes impossible in any given situation without any fault on the part of the player/driver, but simply due to "luck of the draw", then you've failed at that aspect of quality game design.... and miserably so.

Because of this, I honestly question how well the game designers and other powers that be at Codemasters understand their audience well enough to properly serve them, and if they really believe that such a high degree of randomness has any place whatsoever in a skill oriented title.  It's an issue of trust and confidence, that if unresolved, will in fact prevent me from purchasing other Codemasters racing titles in the future.

• oldmodeltoldmodelt Member Unleaded

Too often we complain about what is wrong with a game.  I am no different.  My criticism of Grid Autosport is well documented in these threads.  But I would like to take the time to praise CM for their two other games I have purchased within the last 1 ½ years.

First was Dirt 2 and then Dirt 3 about 6 mos. ago.  Both satisfy my off road yearnings that were developed during my Gran Turismo 1,2,3,4 days.  Surprisingly the AI does not in any way act like the drunken morons they do in GAS.  I suspect my opinions would not change even if I paid full price for them.  Dirt 2 cost me $5 dollars and Dirt 3 was $10.  I picked them up during sales promos with my Xbox 360.
  • stringuestringue Member New Car Smell
    This is my feedback on Grid Autosport;
    [ G27, GFGT, i7 4770 nvidia 760, realistic settings no TC, framerate well above 60 ]

+ Thank you for adding split screen mode! This was a significant factor in my decision to purchase the game, the game runs well in split screen with 2 players and adds a great level of enjoyment locally, would enjoy more if speaker output were biased for each player to enable distinction of rpm for manual shifting
    + Game sounds, excellent game sounds, distinct tire sounds to evaluate loss of traction, good peripheral track sounds, good engine sounds and differences between cars
    + Graphics amazing job at optimization, achieving well over 60 fps split screen locally on High gfx settings, fluid game play adds so much to immersion over low framerates I have played few games that render so much graphical output at such high frame rate
    + Wheel feedback, excellent feedback for G27 on default settings in game and in windows Logitech profiler;
    = Very heavy wheel is excellent counter for its typically sloppy center - best feedback I have felt in a game as most make the wheel light which accentuates this wheels weakness
    = Great loss of traction sensation in RWD, great wheel forces enable me to drive to edge of traction in corners, I think this is helped by the heavy default wheel forces compared to other games,
    = Great force feedback effects, rumbles and bumps etc, lots of extra detail really add to immersion, please continue with excellent ffb support in future
    + Great single player career mode, great selection of sponsors, love the sponsor objectives and re playability
    + Excellent attention to graphical detail on tracks periphery, variations in people, grass, railings, texture of kerbs, track surface texturing etc. These really enhance the sensation of speed in the game which is so poorly conveyed through a pc monitor, greatly helps with braking in time, the point to point races are excellent at conveying speed via the graphical detailing.
    + Graphical detail excellent in general, small details add to immersion, news crews, crowd variations, clouds, hot air balloons, helicopters, well rendered stands, my preference is frame rate versus detail in general, but the graphical detail in this game and the eye catching focal points are very handy in enhancing sense of speed as opposed to repetition of generic crowd or tree models in other games, I considered the sky box textures and air borne "traffic" a little over kill at first but it enhances overall sense of movement in a 3d environment which is imo a great weakness of racing games [ games as opposed to reality]
    + Car selection very good, car details very good
    + Good brake light visibility on rear of cars to aid in braking, though could be better visually - I have seen P-C do this better with some sort of glow effect
    + Collisions between cars have consequences which I like, damage textures very good, damage modelling seems simple but is a decent detrimental factor to make me brake and avoid collisions
    + Cars each feel different, good conveyance through handling of weight of car and RWD FWD AWD, open wheels versus regular cars convey many differences, handling for each car has good level of differences in feel
    + Love the feel of oversteer and understeer in different cars especially with TC off, like the requirement for careful throttle control in many high power RWD cars
    + Handling differences between track and street and especially cobbles in Paris etc. are very noticeable
    + Very much like the handling in general, very solid, good feedback, good variation across groups and cars, very real and lively with both wheels
    + Some of the DLC groups such as Touring legends give a very good selection of cars in a very exciting category and add a lot within their own merits
    + Point to Point races are excellent addition DLC, narrow road races accentuate speed coupled with good track side discrete graphical fidelity, very nice addition to track races

Lots of things I like in GA, I will move onto things I do not like so much;

- Menus dark ambience in general gives negative environmental vibe dampening enthusiasm
    - Choosing car types from numerous sub groups in split screen mode is difficult without external reference as to which cars are in which group
    - Some of the DLC are not so well done, would of liked to see DLC that add a lot to the game on their own, such as an exciting balanced car group plus unique tracks, which I felt the touring legends pack added but others not so much, for example a car group with a track group that is tailored to them and stands out from the base tracks, I felt the point to point races are a good example of difference and variety. For example a street car group with street tracks, or a selection of cars from one era with tracks thematically oriented around that era that offer great difference to default.
    - Lack of wet tracks and weather
    - Lack of pitstops and endurance racing seems to have had little love
    - Needs more racing varieties

And finally things that I think have been done poorly;

- Online racing integration, I can't find online players to race with though not so much of a problem as I can race at home with friends, the lobby system looks like something from the 1990's this is a great game that should of retained players for a much longer time through an immersive online system, I heard their were lots of cheaters after release that scared players away.
    - General integration of online elements through menu interactions from first boot up are very poor, plays as an offline game with online elements through some back door system, would of liked to see something much more integrated and modern
    - For example official support, races, servers 24/7, in game ui showing of online players and what is happening in online world from the moment of log on, an online experience from the moment a player logs in, official scoreboards and ratings and leagues, stringent anti cheating measures and steam banning etc excellent matchmaking and careful management of competitive groups to keep shrinking player bases from seeing empty servers etc.
    - Needs much greater integration of online aspects into game through every aspect for the modern world, would retain players for a much longer time
    - Rapid release of DLC in mini packs? Needs to stop, staggered release of "service packs" of DLC that offer much greater features over a period of time would hold players longer, ie. SP1 6 months after release etc. something to hold players longer and bring them back en masse, and give game greater lifetime support

- Grid 2 and Grid autosport release at similar time, the very concept of a single developer releasing 2 similar genre games in a few months of each other is absurd, I looked at the steam charts at the moment and I see;

Project Cars 1300 online players
    Assetto Corsa 700 Players
    Grid Autosport 500 Players
    Grid 2 300 Players

I cannot believe that that the split off player base of grid 2 cannot handle the better realism of Grid autosport and would not of purchased it if the resources of Grid 2 were pooled into a 1 game release of a better grid autosport - with a much better high vis release and online integration, the splitting of the player base, development resources and marketing focus by making 2 very similar games rather than 1 seems stupid to me, I am sure elements of a simcade game can be tailored for new players such as easy default assists, street tracks, single player careers with un lockable cars (if that is what is needed to attract the casual masses?) and many other game factors, so long as their is a sim heavy model at its heart that can be gradually exposed as players become better.

Finishes my feedback! hope it is of some help, GA is a great game that I feel could of nabbed all the steam driving player base if it was released in a better fashion. I hope that for the next release the produces have much greater ambitions, their aim should be to make the only racing game worth talking about!

• ImStylinOnYaBroImStylinOnYaBro Member New Car Smell
    this rivals driveclub as the most boring racing game i have ever played.
  • CapitalJJCapitalJJ Member New Car Smell
    TUSMBOX said:
    I think that it woul be interesting add a rally discipline, too. 
    There was a rally discipline. It's called DIRT.
     I bought Grid Autosport because I liked Dirt 3, and I wanted to do more circuit and street racing with different cars other than rally. Then when I got Autosport, I wanted to try some rally races, and then I realized I can just go play DIRT 3 if I want to do rally racing.
  • OperaxeOperaxe Member New Car Smell

Very good suggestion:p

It would be great if can modificate the game GRID Autosport and to create a game that the workshop is like gambling CAR MECHANICS Simulator(RedDot).-

It would be much more than terrific.-   Muchas Gracias From Argentina.- :) 
  • OzSmurfOzSmurf Member New Car Smell

Hi,

I have loved the Grid games since the very beginning with the only issue I ever had with Grid 1 was the lack of support for the steering wheel systems, was just not drivable but still an awesome game smashing the keys on my keyboard.

So to play Grid Autosport with a steering wheel and being able to easily control the game on either the PS3 or PC is a dream in comparison, thanks heaps for that, been playing it since it got released and still use it for stress relief or a cause of it depending on what mood the AI is in.

The only issue I have with the game is the obvious missing element that has probably not been looked at for licensing issues which is the inclusion of something similar to the V8 Supercars. Understand that the Forza guys have the deal with this now, but if you are going to include an iconic track like Mt Panorama, then Grid needs to at least include a Falcon and a Commodore to put round the track for the Aussie players. Throwing a Audi A5 around it is pretty fun, but it is not the same for the Aussie fans, especially since Codemasters had the deal with the V8 Supercar games many years ago. Obviously they don't need to be called V8 Supercars or even look like the teams. It is just nice to have the current and last era of the Aussie Falcon FG-X XR8 and the Commodore VF SS.

The missing V8 is something I have heard a few players mention and although can get this on Forza, for anybody with a PC or PS3, well we just have to miss out on it.

Not a major complaint, so not making a big deal of this but if you could get around to making a DLC that had this in it, you would make a lot of Aussies pretty happy.

Thanks for the great racing games and looking forward to what comes out next around the corner from the Codemasters camp.

• OzSmurfOzSmurf Member New Car Smell

Hi again,

After reading through a number or praise and gripe sessions about GA, I must agree with near all that Stringue comments on in June 2015. I especially would love to see wet track or rain conditions included as an update and the availability to have the pits at hand. I often set up single races with numerous laps and to get over half way through a race and have some stupid AI take me out, just to have to restart the whole race instead of limping the car to the pits for a quick repair and keep racing is just lacking.

I am sure that others have mentioned this as well but seeing an AI collect a wall in front of me that would have normally totalled the car and killed the driver, yet continues the drive away without so much as slowing down where I get a minor tag and my steering is damaged does get very frustrating at times. Just something to keep in mind for future Grid releases.

Don't get me wrong, still a great game but there are some issues that need to be considered to keep in touch with Project Cars, Forza and yet to see what Gran Turismo bring to the table.

• MrFoxikMrFoxik Member New Car Smell
    edited July 2016
    First of all I am fun of simulators. (Always hard difficulity level, Race Driver 3 AI on 110% never less)
    In many prereviews I was reading that TOCA Race Driver 3 (2006) is coming back (TOCA 2 and Race Driver3 2006 where the best SIM games what codemasters made - driving phisics. In TOCA RC3 you need to switch on "gravel traps" and other stuff there to get realy good driving modeling, without this is DAMMED ARCADE - surly most players were driving without gravel traps). In grid I thought that if I will switch off all assists game will be demanding and will have good driving model. IT IS NOT. It is realy arcade, but only connection with old TOCARC3 what I can see is big range of cars, races eetc. I will bet if dirt rally programmers team would do GIRD Autosport Phisics, then it would be much better, because Dirt Rally is quite good not easy game. Where you can feel that you are driving 1,5 ton car not the paper box. rather hard to drive without steering wheel. THATS IT!!!
    I suggest to take old good TOCA RC3 or TOCA 2 from archive of old server (surly codemasters has a copy) instal it and try to drive. Old programmers from phisics were very good. DO NOT FORGET TO SWITCH ON GRAVEL TRAPS in RC3. without gravel traps game is arcade- unakceptable driving phisics

AI and race driving tactics are focused not on tactical overtaking and knowledge but on quite brutal driving style, what can confirm for example setups for second team driver (defend-he will push cars from track when somebody will try to overtake, Attack-better not to tell...hell). 
    So game AI are not so smart in smooth nice tactical driving like it was in RC3 or TOCA2, its always better to push somebody out of the track. In old good RC3 you and AI were getting penalities and warnings for cuting the track and agresive driving

Climat:
    In my opinion from codemasters the best climat was in TOCA 2 and RC3, because to make good lap time you needed to drive 500laps on one trackto learn everything, so during the race time where opponents were siting on your tail you could feel higher blood pressure because you knew that one....only onle mistake will cost of loosing all points. And more over driving model was not easy and on hard mode every cars were siting on bumpers so close to each other, it was very 
    stresful - but this is the climat of closed track racing....

RESUME: Autosport for me it would be good game, if it would have much better driving phisics even copied form Race Driver 3 (2006). Autosport has a potential but handling the car is unakceptable for me.

I have hope that finaly Codemaster will make good game on Turning Cars Topic and GTRs with good driving morel. I think that after of big succes of Dirt Rally Codemasters has understood that the game can not be easy, more difficult game gives you more satisfaction when you will pass/win something. This is Dirt Rally....now waiting for asphalt racing....because autosport is not for me.

• JonathanCordeirJonathanCordeir Member New Car Smell

Good morning, someone could help me ? I'm from Brazil , have physical media game . Acquired two DLCs ( Sprint Pack and Road and Track Pack ) via PSN because I have the PS3 console. I downloaded and installed normally content . However I could not access it in the game. I am a big fan of Codemasters games but it makes me very frustrated . Is anyone having the same problem ? Do you have any solution for this?
  • volpe540volpe540 Member New Car Smell
    hallo, warum kann ich nicht mehr im Club herein ?   Grid Autosport

Club Farben ausgeblendet....Club Mitglieder nicht vorhanden....

kommt immer die Meldung   NEUE CLUB GRÜNDEN
  • MTonlyMTonly Member New Car Smell
    Loore said:
    Please use this thread for all your GRID Autosport Feedback, we look forward to hearing what you think!

Please give attention to that GRID Autosport does NOT work under Linux, hanging forever at the starting logo splash screen. Thanks.