Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

GRID Autosport Feedback

Comments

• FidelGastroFidelGastro Member New Car Smell
    Well I've just started playing Autosport and I'm quite enjoying it so far but the EGO engine Codies uses is long, long past it's sell by date. While it may have been cutting edge back in '98, it's now '14. I don't even bother to look at the replays because the graphics are torture on the eyes and not to mention the lousy camera angles. I reinstalled NFS Shift 2 Unlimited recently and that game dates back to '11 but the graphics are far superior to the latest Grid Autosport and they're not great by any of today's standards. I heard there were complaints about Grid 2 not having a cockpit view and looking at Autosport's they should've left it out again such is the unsightly mess. 
    C'mon Codemasters retire that tired old game engine already and bring on something a bit more advanced with some decent physics as well. I'm not into console gaming but the new Forza and Gran Turismo are all but going to embarrass this game in graphics and physics. It's time to up the ante. 
  • P308RP308R Member Pit Crew
    edited June 2014
    Can Codies please bring the custom livery to the Custom Cup in Single Player?
    | TOCA | CMR | TOCA2 | CMR 2.0 | TOCA WTC | TOCA RACE DRIVER | DTM RACEDRIVER 2 | CMR 4 | DTM RACEDRIVER 3 | DIRT | GRID | F1 2010 | F1 2012 | GRID AS | DIRT RALLY | DIRT4 | F1 2018

• SebringSebring Member New Car Smell
    edited June 2014
    Having played both GRID and GRID 2, I will add my comments to this thread.

The vehicle physics are better than both GRID and GRID 2. They feel far better and more realistic than GRID 2 and encourage proper racing lines, etc. The physics are also better than the first GRID; with traction control off, you're able to feel how much traction you have and use power to fix your direction whereas in the first GRID, turning traction control off just seemed to make you spin out a lot.

The career mode is much better than GRID 2. It's very well done and I enjoy how the disciplines are split. Events are unique enough. However, I enjoyed owning my own team in GRID, using my own livery, making money, buying cars, hiring my own teammate, and earning sponsorships. GRID's racing world felt rather alive in that drivers and teams would move through the ranks every season, and Ravenwest Motorsport wasn't present in every event. It feels a bit odd in GRID Autosport to move through the different series, seasons, and disciplines only to find the same teams in all of them. It's a different approach certainly. I would like it more if I felt like I was moving up through "feeder series" into bigger events, such as going from CAT C to CAT B to CAT A with each having different teams and different tracks (as in, CAT A would use full GP circuits and CAT C would use smaller circuits.) Also, it would be nice to have the Race Engineer to help tune the car in practice. It would make practice more worthwhile.

The AI are still varied and not too predictable, just like in GRID. It makes the game more exciting when they take differing lines or spin without player input. However, this time around it seems like the AI really don't like to race as clean as they did in GRID. They like to hit me when I'm trying to stay clean at the start of the race or in a turn when they're faster than me, which is another point I'd like to bring up. It might just be me, but it seems like that on most circuits, the AI are poor at a section of track I seem to be good at and I gain time easily, but on other sections of track it's like they take impossibly difficult lines and will even hit me. This can be seen best at Brands Hatch GP on Endurance GT Group 2.

I also have some gripes with Endurance Racing in GRID Autosport. I think fuel use and pitting should be options. It feels strange to have tire wear but not fuel consumption. I know Codemasters can do this well, as I've seen it in the F1 games! I also feel like the field should have to complete the final lap when the time runs out. Like in the first GRID, it would add a lot of realism to have several classes on-track at the same time. I think this could be done next-gen with more AI, so please consider it. This also goes back to having the feeling of moving through series, as in the first GRID we had real GT2 through LMP1 teams such as Oreca, Multimac, Audi, etc. There should also be at least 2 cars to choose from in each class. I'm mainly referring to Endurance GT Ultimate.

As far as Online goes, I think it's mostly very well done, so I will only post the gripes I have about it. Some of the cars, especially the Cup cars such as the Shelby Daytona, are outrageously expensive, especially for a car to be used in a one-make race. I wouldn't complain about, say, a hypercar being 1.5 million dollars, but some are little ridiculous. Also, I think the one-make cups should only repeat one time as opposed to the normal series repeating twice. For example, online Endurance should do two GT Group 1 races, then one Mazda 787B cup as a break, and then two GT Group 2 races. Also, I don't know if anyone's noticed, but the flag displayed in-game reflects your single player driver rather than your IP, like GRID and unlike GRID 2. That means that if I want to have a little fun in single player and make a fictional driver, I will show up as Japanese when I am actually from the United States. I also think I should be able to copy liveries from car to car.

I can't comment on racing wheels because I use a controller. Kudos for having fully customizable controls, and thanks for making one of the most fun racing games on PS3 (and the best one online.)
    Post edited by Sebring on
  • JamesUptonJamesUpton Member Unleaded
    Hey guys, great game, couple of tiny things that I feel are needed

Single Player:
    -A race confirm message asking if you are sure you want to start the race (for when you do not practice or qualify, lost count how many times I've accidentally hit Race when I meant to go into practice to try a tune setup)
    - XP bonus for race length being longer in difficulty.
    - PIT STOPS and drive through penalties. Kinda shocked this isn't already in, especially endurance. If animation for pitting is a concern just lock the camera to dash camera for the stop.
    - Custom team in Career, nobody wants the ultimate goal of racing for Nub Team Ravenwest, we all want to destroy them in team standings and make them lose all their sponsors.
    - Demolition derby in career mode / custom cup

Multi Player:
    - Get rid of the reversed tracks in playlists, NO one wants to race Mount Panorama, Spa Francochamp, etc in reverse yet whenever it comes up in the vote options more often than not they are the reversed courses.
    - Playlists that disable assists and flashbacks
    - in playlists Make the starting grid off previous race result reversed instead of points, seems a little ridiculous the best player always starts in poll with a 200 point lead when newcomers to online and the session always have to start in the back.
    - For custom cup online make the starting grid apply to the AI drivers as well
    -For custom cup allow multiple disciplines in a cup, would be nice to throw some demolition derby in the same cup with touring etc
    - Demolition derby playlist please
    - Custom livery for derby cars
    - Team Racing
    - On the vote screen display the class of cars that will be used. A lot of us wouldn't vote to race a specfic track because it would be mini cup

probably got a thousand more ideas but these are my suggestions for now
  • ckevinc1ckevinc1 Member Wheel Nut
    I'm a big fan of codemasters F1 games and thought I would buy this game while waiting for the F1 2014 to come out. I really wish I hadn't. I've been playing it for a couple of hours and found myself getting really bored with it. It looks to me like the programmers really wanted to make this game for Xbox one and ps4 shame they didn't the PC version would've been a lot better. :(

• JamesUptonJamesUpton Member Unleaded
    yeah there are a lot of sound issues i noticed, engine noise will fade away after collisions and such, please make them more consistent and dominating.
  • Jet7352Jet7352 Member New Car Smell
    Firstly, love the game. Improvements would be - please add pitstops! Fuel use and tyre changers. Like f1 these could have settings so aspects can be adjusted to suit different players.
  • DarKUniKDarKUniK Member New Car Smell
    a racing game without pitstops, it's a shame not to have added it right out of the game
  • NickBobNickBob Member New Car Smell
    I completely understand why the interior view is blurred out, but why are the mirrors and dials blurred out as well? To me that really does defeat the point of adding the interior view in the first place. Other than that though I am loving this game, I think the structure of career mode is excellent and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I hope Codemasters can bring a few decent updates/DLC before moving off to the world of 'next-gen'.
  • AssiemodisAssiemodis Member Unleaded
    edited June 2014
    Not sure if it is already mentioned not in the mood to go thru all the posts, but I find that when youre making a skin the view to youre car is terrible.
    Can you guys add sonething like holding right mouse button to turn the car so we can look at roof etc?

Now all I can do is turn the car with steering wheel and zoom in and out wth pedals and this really doesn't cut it. 

Also would be nice if we could make sessions with diiferent disciplines.
    Like first time attack on the track and next one a race.
    Post edited by Assiemodis on
    ....................................................................................................
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    edited June 2014

Finally got my copy today through the post will update once I've had a little play

Enjoying Career mode just finished a championship in the touring cars won by only 2 points won only 1 of the races though the reverse grid at Istanbul but all in all I'm having a great time with Autosport so far. I've had to remap my controls slightly differently  to one's that I'm most comfortable in using but that's really my only complaint I've got at the moment but it's relatively minor as I'm working around it anyway.

Post edited by sjsharp2010 on

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

• Crumplezone99Crumplezone99 Member New Car Smell
    Played the 360 version for a few hours. Getting some time in on career before hitting online. Playing on hard difficulty with no assists. All good so far. AI aggression is nicely balanced I think. Having trouble with the street race on Dubai. Is it just me or is that track really slippery? All good so far. Thanks Codemasters for bringing GRID back to me!
  • LoggyLoggy Member Unleaded
    Played the 360 version for a few hours. Getting some time in on career before hitting online. Playing on hard difficulty with no assists. All good so far. AI aggression is nicely balanced I think. Having trouble with the street race on Dubai. Is it just me or is that track really slippery? All good so far. Thanks Codemasters for bringing GRID back to me!
    I put it down to the sand dust on the road.  I think you can actually see a slight yellowish dusting at certain sections. 
  • LooreLoore Member Champion
    If I recall rightly that track has a few different surfaces as well, cobbles, tarmac etc? Moving from different road surfaces could be giving you an impression of slipperyness. 
    Community Manager at Codemasters, wears a robe and wizard hat
    Find me on Twitter | Steam
  • steve00oa515steve00oa515 Member New Car Smell
    id love to enjoy this game however

1. it keeps freezing on loading screen
    2. it freezes uploading to youtube

i mean ive played the game less than an hr and have these issues already. i'm not trying to be a sour puss but because of the amount of promise this has i'm sorely disappointed.

before people jump on me, im persevering atm 
  • TURBODEVIN19TURBODEVIN19 Member Petrol Head
    id love to enjoy this game however

1. it keeps freezing on loading screen

Do you have a second screen enabled? I had loading issues but 'fixed' it by disconnecting my 2nd monitor.

Steam
    : turbodevin | GFWL: TURBODEVIN19 | Twitter: turbodevin

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
  • steve00oa515steve00oa515 Member New Car Smell
    no 2nd monitor i'm afraid. it just freezes when loading an event :(
  • SmokerRudaSmokerRuda Member New Car Smell

I don't like it.

I can't turn the cars unless i slow to a crawl

Any of the ABS, Traction Control etc...make your car as slow as a turd.

After just learning to get around a corner in Grid2, now I have to learn all over again and I guess becausse I'm a moron I can't figure out how to get a car around a corner amymore. I just about give up and wish i had my money back cause this is bad.

• andmcqandmcq Member Unleaded

I don't like it.

I can't turn the cars unless i slow to a crawl

Any of the ABS, Traction Control etc...make your car as slow as a turd.

After just learning to get around a corner in Grid2, now I have to learn all over again and I guess becausse I'm a moron I can't figure out how to get a car around a corner amymore. I just about give up and wish i had my money back cause this is bad.

Once you master Autosports handling it becomes better. The entry level cars seem to feel as though they're running on flat tyres with broken diffs or something.
  • ThorinburThorinbur Member New Car Smell
    Actually Grid 2 was bad. You were supposed to dive into a corner full speed and once you turned your car sideways you slowed down and made the corner.

In reall life you would fly trought a corner and crash terribly every single time.

Grid Autosport is much more realistic in that you have to break BEFORE the corner. You slow down pass the apex and then put the power down on the trackout. Thats how racing works. I suggest you stay behind AI for a lap and don't try to race. Also try doing practise before racing on unknown tracks. Look for boards with numbers. These show distance to the turn. You should start breaking at between 150 and 100 meters before most slower corners. Try to learn the tracks and remember breaking points. If you are playing with manual gearbox you also are learning gears for corners. 

Only after you can comfortably go trought every corner on the track you should try to shave of time by trying later breaking point, different racing lines, turn in points, later apex. Driving on the outside when passing, cutunder opponent car. There are so many decisions to make during the race. 

Grid 2 was arcade game that happened to have cars in it. It was ok to have fun, you could drift your way trought every corner. 
    Grid Autosport , while still not simulation, requires and rewards proper racing techniques. No longer drifting is fast. If you wan't to be quick, you should counter the slides as soon as possible. Try to always operate within your tires limit.