Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRT 3 is on Steam Sale. Here's my question:

Is the game worth it as it is?  I tend to have enough game content in the initial release to keep me happy (though Group B does look enticing) and I'm kind of a hermit when it comes to my racing games.  I just like to drive, more or less.  Basically, I don't care about the DLCs or multiplayer and all I want is a nice rally experience through a cockpit view (I feel like that'll be censored.  Blimey...).  So with all of that said and out of the way, is this game worth 6 bucks out of my very thin wallet I've reserved for the Steam sale?

Comments

• TURBODEVIN19TURBODEVIN19 Member Petrol Head
    Definitely, I bought it on release and played it for 2 years without any DLC. 
    And had a lot of fun doing so. I didn't do much multiplayer those two years because none of my friends had the game back then. I basically just finished the career and did a lot of singleplayer and time trial races.
    There is a vast amount of tracks available, (gotta admit the Monte Carlo DLC tracks are freaking awesome tho), good amount of game modes and cars as well. 
    There is also the 'playground' at Battersea Powerstation which kept me busy for loads of hours, just having fun driving around there and trying some tricks.

Steam reviews are all complaining about GFWL, but GFWL being horrible, doesn't take away the fact that this is a fantastic game. (and GFWL will be removed any time soon anyways)

Steam
    : turbodevin | GFWL: TURBODEVIN19 | Twitter: turbodevin

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
  • BolverkGTMBolverkGTM Member New Car Smell
    Well thank you for your input.  I now have 18 dollars out of the 24.24 I started with left to spend on the summer sale and I'll see if it was worth it!
  • dirt3joedirt3joe Member Race Steward
    Is the game worth it as it is?  I tend to have enough game content in the initial release to keep me happy (though Group B does look enticing) and I'm kind of a hermit when it comes to my racing games.  I just like to drive, more or less.  Basically, I don't care about the DLCs or multiplayer and all I want is a nice rally experience through a cockpit view (I feel like that'll be censored.  Blimey...).  So with all of that said and out of the way, is this game worth 6 bucks out of my very thin wallet I've reserved for the Steam sale?
    For me Dirt 3 is an amazing game, played it for over 100 hours, bought it the complete edition  for £15 and considered it very good value.

TBH the only way it is not worth 6 dollars is if you hate driving games with a passion. You do have to stick with it though. It isn't a complete push over. My mate gave up on it because he couldn't master it in 5 minutes. 

Best to start off with the under powered cars (60's mini cooper) on a wide track like finland and realise that you're going to find a few ditches before you start to get good.

The Monte carlo track pack (dlc) is the best of the lot, but the basic game is pretty good.

edited June 2014
    dirt3joe said:
    For me Dirt 3 is an amazing game, played it for over 100 hours, bought it the complete edition  for £15 and considered it very good value.

TBH the only way it is not worth 6 dollars is if you hate driving games with a passion. You do have to stick with it though. It isn't a complete push over. My mate gave up on it because he couldn't master it in 5 minutes. 

Best to start off with the under powered cars (60's mini cooper) on a wide track like finland and realise that you're going to find a few ditches before you start to get good.

The Monte carlo track pack (dlc) is the best of the lot, but the basic game is pretty good.

I don't know, I have a lot of confidence in my driving ability.  I'll see if I can show you up with a good first time on that setup.  Might go for something decently powered though for that.  :)

UPDATE: Here's my first time.  How's that?  Ah you can see my name, but who caaares.  Oh dear, I've got some people in black suits knocking on my door.  Excuse me...  

Post edited by BolverkGTM on
    So what do you think of your 6 dollars worth so far ?
    dirt3joe said:
    So far, I think my 6 dollars was well placed.  I loved the first DiRT and it was one of the first games I got with my PS3.  I played that for a very long time.  DiRT 3 just capitalizes on what I loved about the first game and then some.
    dirt3joe said:
    So far, I think my 6 dollars was well placed.  I loved the first DiRT and it was one of the first games I got with my PS3.  I played that for a very long time.  DiRT 3 just capitalizes on what I loved about the first game and then some.

well that was a lot better than my first go !

Enjoy.
  • justbigleejustbiglee Member Champion
    dirt3joe said:
    Huzzah! Glad you like it welcome to the club :) Be sure to keep popping back as you play and tell us how you're getting one, would be pretty interesting to hear a fresh take on it.

Former DiRT Community Manager, owner of the most bitchin community in the company

Twitter: justbiglee

Huzzah! Glad you like it welcome to the club :) Be sure to keep popping back as you play and tell us how you're getting one, would be pretty interesting to hear a fresh take on it.
    I think I might do just that!  I got a question though.  My game has been stuck in windowed mode after the third time booting it and I haven't been able to get it back into full screen.  This isn't really that big of a problem to me because I'm a major multi-tasker, but is there a way to fix that?
  • Skiddyboy13Skiddyboy13 Member Wheel Nut
    I think I might do just that!  I got a question though.  My game has been stuck in windowed mode after the third time booting it and I haven't been able to get it back into full screen.  This isn't really that big of a problem to me because I'm a major multi-tasker, but is there a way to fix that?
    Alt-Enter typically fixes this problem, used to get it all the time with F1 2010.
    Youtube & Twitter

To quote Grid: ''Just do your best, you can't do more''.

edited June 2014
    Alt-Enter typically fixes this problem, used to get it all the time with F1 2010.
    Yup!  That cleared the problem right up!  Cheers.  :)

So...

justbiglee said: Be sure to keep popping back as you play and tell us how you're getting one, would be pretty interesting to hear a fresh take on it.
    Where should I post my progress?  I think I'll make a new thread, but it needs a title.  Any thoughts?
  • Avenga76Avenga76 Member Wheel Nut
    Make a thread like Riotbox's DiRT 3 Walkthrough

• justbigleejustbiglee Member Champion
    edited June 2014
    Yup!  That cleared the problem right up!  Cheers.  :)

So...

justbiglee said: Be sure to keep popping back as you play and tell us how you're getting one, would be pretty interesting to hear a fresh take on it.
    Where should I post my progress?  I think I'll make a new thread, but it needs a title.  Any thoughts?
    Anywhere inside the DiRT section is fine, totally free to call it what you like :)

Former DiRT Community Manager, owner of the most bitchin community in the company

Twitter: justbiglee

• BWXBWX Member New Car Smell
    I have it on disc for PC, but might buy it again on STEAM just to avoid hassle of DVD..  GWL sucks the big one though. That needs to be fixed.

Haven't played it for a while being summer and all, but not even sure if it still works if GFWL is messed up.. login crap and whatnot.

D3 is fun with a wheel and pedals in a sim rig.

The steering feels messed up at first because of weird default settings, but when dialed in it have really nice "arcady" type physics. I'd say sim-cade, but very very good, and very good force feedback when dialed in properly to your liking once you get used to the settings.

Great gfx still too. One of my favorite driving games.
    The ai is very good too, in the parts of  the game that has it.  To bad CM doesn't perfect the games like they used to. D3 is actually a masterpiece compared to the current bug-ridden/broken games