Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

The EU Referendum

Comments

• HarryBrockHarryBrock Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 2016
    fIsince08 said:
    I'm very tempted to vote for UKIP in the next general election, they have been labelled as racists, etc., from the media. Yet they aren't racist (of course some members are going to be) and they have valid policies, mainly the ones to reduce immigration which needs to be lowered dramatically. And just to clear up I am not bothered by small amounts of people coming in UK to work, it is just too many people are coming in and it is putting too much strain on the NHS and schools. I'm only 16 so I can vote in the next general election. I'm just so happy that David 'the pr*ck' Cameron is stepping down, I just don't want that ponce Boris Johnson to become PM, anyone but him!!!
    Immigration was not the cause of the NHS or education system problems. The disastrous management of them by the Tories is. Tackling tax evasion and avoidance would have provided more than enough cash for the NHS but they won't do that because it'll affect their offshore accounts and their big business buddies bank balances. I also believe that the education system crisis has been ignored consistently by past governments of both "left" and right.
    I know immigration was not the cause of the problems, but it will make it worse, I worded it wrong in my comment. I meant that the NHS is already screwed, then letting a lot more people will just **** it up even more.
  • Matthew77258Matthew77258 Member Race Steward
    edited June 2016
    Borris Johnson? **** Christ, even down here we know that he's on a different planet most of the time.  On the whole democracy debate, it's an interesting one to say the least. To make such a huge decision on such a low margin is worrying, however I suppose it's democracy in its most pure form. If there was a threshold that had to be reached for the leave campaign, who's to say that 65% needed doesn't become 70% or 80%. Nonetheless, a holiday to the UK just became a lot cheaper for me, so thanks for that. 

EDIT: WHY IS J ESUS A BANNED WORD ON THIS STUPID FORUM? 
    Twitter | Member since 2011 

• AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    AMS97KRR said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    I find it ridiculous that we are actually leaving based on a 51.9 - 49.1 split. 

I've said it for a while now, it should be at least 65% to leave.

Congratulations on tearing the United Kingdom a part though, guys. I hope it was worth it.
    So you don't like democracy then?
    This is a massive change, one that is going to determine the next few hundreds years of this country and 49% of this country doesn't want it to happen. 51% is not enough to say that the British people, as a whole, want change. The majority is far too small. 

Despite this though, give or take half the population of Britain is now either forced to leave the country, suffer with the rest, or vote to leave the UK (if you're Scotland or N.I). It isn't good, especially when you look at the number of voters over the age of 70, like my grandparents, who are voting out because "I remember a time before the EU and it was great back in the day" - Voting out for a legit reason is one thing, but voting out because you wear rose tinted glasses isn't. In 15 years from now, they wont even have to worry about it anymore. But I will, and so will the 75% of young people who voted out. 

Yes, it's a massive change, I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that you cannot favour one side over the other. You can't change the rules of what was a fair vote, just because the winning margin was small.

How about we reverse this. Lets say the UK was outside the EU, and that yesterdays vote was for us joining or not. You'd expect a fair 50/50 vote yes? Now lets say someone came along and said the Join side needed to score over 60% for it to go through. How would you feel? After all, joining the EU would be a massive change for the UK yes? Would you still think it fair if the roles were reversed?
    If we were outside the EU and voting to join I'd say the same. It has to be a big majority for me. I'd have said from the start that it needed to be at least 60% though, preferably 65%. That is a big majority IMO.
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

• RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    AMS97KRR said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    AMS97KRR said:

Congratulations on tearing the United Kingdom a part though, guys. I hope it was worth it.
    This is a massive change, one that is going to determine the next few hundreds years of this country and 49% of this country doesn't want it to happen. 51% is not enough to say that the British people, as a whole, want change. The majority is far too small. 

Despite this though, give or take half the population of Britain is now either forced to leave the country, suffer with the rest, or vote to leave the UK (if you're Scotland or N.I). It isn't good, especially when you look at the number of voters over the age of 70, like my grandparents, who are voting out because "I remember a time before the EU and it was great back in the day" - Voting out for a legit reason is one thing, but voting out because you wear rose tinted glasses isn't. In 15 years from now, they wont even have to worry about it anymore. But I will, and so will the 75% of young people who voted out. 

Yes, it's a massive change, I'm not denying that. What I'm saying is that you cannot favour one side over the other. You can't change the rules of what was a fair vote, just because the winning margin was small.

How about we reverse this. Lets say the UK was outside the EU, and that yesterdays vote was for us joining or not. You'd expect a fair 50/50 vote yes? Now lets say someone came along and said the Join side needed to score over 60% for it to go through. How would you feel? After all, joining the EU would be a massive change for the UK yes? Would you still think it fair if the roles were reversed?
    If we were outside the EU and voting to join I'd say the same. It has to be a big majority for me. I'd have said from the start that it needed to be at least 60% though, preferably 65%. That is a big majority IMO.
    Well, at least you're sticking to your guns I suppose :p Agree to disagree?
    AMS97KRR said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    AMS97KRR said:

Well, at least you're sticking to your guns I suppose :p Agree to disagree?
    Yeah, probably for the best :p 

• DarkRedslayerDarkRedslayer Member Race Steward
    Btw:

Well in fairness, young people are stupid lol. I've been saying for a long time voting age should be 30+ time for people to actually learn about whats going on and not vote off talking points. 
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Btw:

Well in fairness, young people are stupid lol. I've been saying for a long time voting age should be 30+ time for people to actually learn about whats going on and not vote off talking points. 
    Young people aren't as stupid as you think thank you very much. Politics is taught a lot better than it used to be at school and whilst you get the odd EDL idiots, a lot of 16-year-olds are actually extremely politically aware.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• HarryBrockHarryBrock Member Wheel Nut
    edited June 2016
    Btw:

Also 50+ people experienced living when not a part of the EU before so there decision must be credited.
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    What I don't get is why would David Cameron even arrange this referendum if it's only good for the country if we stay in? Why give people the option if there's only 1 correct choice? If the country goes to **** (and I don't think it will) then he will always be remembered as the guy that ruined Britain... 
  • PlatyPlaty Member Team Principal
    Because there's not people who are over 30 who have no idea what's going on and only vote off talking points. I mean it totally didn't happen with this referendum, not at all.
    Btw:

Also 50+ people experienced living when not a part of the EU before so there decision must be credited.
    People have rose tinted glasses, and older people are more racist than young people.

• MexicolaMexicola Member Team Principal

Yes.
  • fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    Hughesy said:
    What I don't get is why would David Cameron even arrange this referendum if it's only good for the country if we stay in? Why give people the option if there's only 1 correct choice? If the country goes to **** (and I don't think it will) then he will always be remembered as the guy that ruined Britain... 
    Because he had no chance of winning the general election if he didn't fend off the threat from UKIP.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited June 2016
    MBKF1 said:
    They just can't deal with losing. I'm not kidding, nearly everyone has posted something about it, saying how it's such a huge mistake, how it's racist, how Farage and Johnson are ****;'s, yadayadayada.

All of which are hard to argue with, of course ;)
    All I will say is, this 2nd referendum petition idea is the most ridiculous thing and anyone who signs it clearly has no concept of what democracy is all about. The nation voted to leave yesterday. Those are the facts, and they need to deal with it. Yes, it was marginal, but it's still a majority. Get a grip.
    Those may be the facts, but since the referendum result isn't legally binding in itself, it effectively means nothing until the government start the procedure to leave the EU. Until they do that, people are entitled to keep trying to change their minds, however pointless that may seem-- but I've already lived through one referendum here in Ireland that the government ran all over again because they didn't get the result they were hoping for first time around, so a re-run certainly wouldn't be a unique occurrence.
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.
  • KK78KK78 Member Unleaded
    MBKF1 said:
    The remainers on my Facebook are so butthurt over the result, it's the funniest thing. It's the same as last year when all the lefties cried over Miliband losing the election. They just can't deal with losing. I'm not kidding, nearly everyone has posted something about it, saying how it's such a huge mistake, how it's racist, how Farage and Johnson are ****;'s, yadayadayada. I've just about managed to restrain myself from getting myself involved on there.

All I will say is, this 2nd referendum petition idea is the most ridiculous thing and anyone who signs it clearly has no concept of what democracy is all about. The nation voted to leave yesterday. Those are the facts, and they need to deal with it. Yes, it was marginal, but it's still a majority. Get a grip.
    I look forward to how this naive smugness pans out in the longer term, the little Englanders have had their say but lets hope the poor don't get battered in the inevitable incoming economic challenges, the Union actually remains intact, the EU don't use the UK as the whipping boy to fend offer other referendums,  people don't suddenly have a meltdown when they realise what 'protections' they may stand to lose and the political system doesn't fall apart as the two biggest parties flounder with internal bickering leaving us with the prospect of UKIP, Libs or the Greens (all of which would be better replaced with the Chuckle Brothers) 

All things considered it's pretty likely a conservative party will remain in power and then comes the question, would you rather have a right wing goverment with free reign or some level of check and balance?

The elite will be laughing in its cognac tonight...
  • PlatyPlaty Member Team Principal
    The biggest thing for me (probably used that sentence before) is the new trade negotiations. If the government decides that entering EFTA (which is what Norway and Switzerland are part of) is the best move then nothing will change (still have freedom of movement of goods and people like we current have), other than we would now have no say in the EU but still have to abide by their laws/regulations. That would be a huge slap in the face to people who voted leave to get away from the EU and would have made this whole referendum a joke.

I think the government will work on negotiating it's own trade deals. Despite people telling me otherwise, I don't believe the EU will give us fair deals. They have no reason to, and they can use us as a scapegoat for what happens if you decide to leave the EU. This is what I fear the most tbh, ending up with **** deals and tariffs, which could butcher our industries further. Neither of these two options sound good.

The third option is the utopia option, where everything works out fine, all the trade deals we get are good and we grow as an economic power. It's a long shot but maybe we could get close to it.
  • GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Team Principal
    I can't see option #3 happening in a globalized world.