Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2017 Thread

Comments

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    edited February 14
    I almost got my prediction right with Neuville winning! Shame another small mistake cost him and Hyundai big, but his first win this year is definitely coming, wouldn't be surprised at all if it was Mexico.

Who would have thought last year that we would have m-sport leading the points and a Toyota leading the driver's title?!
    With VW out, having M-Sport leading the manufacturers standings doesn't that surprising, but seeing a Toyota on top of the standings is a bit of a shock! 

Thus far it really feels like the hype for 2017 was worth it, I really hope the rest of the season continues to deliver like this! 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• DytutDytut Member Petrol Head
    edited February 14
    A little something about the Citroëns:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128098/what-troubling-meeke-and-citroen

And yeah. Breens final interview after the power stage pretty much summed it up as "we have to fix this". 

Edit: Just watched the likenäs 2 onboards for Meeke, and that car is not happy at all. Kris sounds downright scared at times.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• YoMrWhiteYoMrWhite Member Co-Driver
    Dytut said:
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128098/what-troubling-meeke-and-citroen

And yeah. Breens final interview after the power stage pretty much summed it up as "we have to fix this". 

Edit: Just watched the likenäs 2 onboards for Meeke, and that car is not happy at all. Kris sounds downright scared at times.

Strange. I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the other teams had those handling problems, given that the cars are new. But Citroen took the last year off and could do more testing than Hyundai and M-Sport. And they didn't come back after nearly two decades, like Toyota. So this is puzzling indeed.

I really hope they can fix this. Another bad performance in Mexico and they are most likely out of both championships after only three events. That would be very disappointing.

Daryl Willcox on Steam and leaderboards
    Yeah it is quite weird. I thought the C3 looked quite good in testing, and that the Monte twitchiness was down to a bit too firm settings. But when it looks so twitchy even on gravel/ice settings it just feels weird.
    I wonder if the found that the car was just too slow when they started pitting it against the other '17 cars and are fiddling with everything at once and just making a mess of it right now. The cars looked noticeably worse on the sunday leg of sweden than saturday, so I wonder if they tried something with the car settings to improve on their saturday setup and it turned out to be even worse.
    Judging from the onboards it might be something strange with the center diff. It might be acting up and lagging behind on power delivery which would explain the understeer to snap oversteer behaviour.

• boganibogani Member Champion
    Damn. I'm almost surprised that WRC haven't removed that from WRC+. That is one unhappy man.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• SimVansevenantSimVansevenant Member Wheel Nut
    Congratzs to Latvala. A well-deserved woinin for him and Toyota. And I'll use the words that Matthew Wilson always seems to use when someone hits trouble: I felt gutted to seeNe Neiuvolle hit trouble again. He will have to score really well in Mexico.

Talking about Mexico, it will be very interesting. The suspension on the Toyota isn't the best as they mentioned themselves several times. Mexico has some seriously tough roads.
    The altitude might also create some issues for M-Sport. In both rounds there was a Fiesta that lost a cilinder along the way. Engine troubles might be serious this time.
    Hyundai has a very solid car so I suspect no technical issues for them
    And Citroen hasn't had muchluck so far so...
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    Dytut said:

First run through Likenäs didn't look all that bad(didn't watch the whole stage) but the second run through was extremely hairy. He might have suffered from the infamous default setup bug we have in DR ;)

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

edited February 15
    I ran a double compare between Meeke and Tänak on Likenäs 1. Considering that Tänak complained that his car was acting up with the rear end out of control, he still runs far less wide than Meeke. And Tänak usually drives quite sideways. 

• juu1iusjuu1ius Member Wheel Nut
    Talking about Mexico, it will be very interesting. The suspension on the Toyota isn't the best as they mentioned themselves several times. Mexico has some seriously tough roads.
    The altitude might also create some issues for M-Sport. In both rounds there was a Fiesta that lost a cilinder along the way. Engine troubles might be serious this time.
    Hyundai has a very solid car so I suspect no technical issues for them
    And Citroen hasn't had much luck so far so...
    M-Sport engine problems so far have been electrical  and that's understandable, if you are building cars at their speed. In Mexico we'll see how reliable they really are - over heating hasn't been real issue in last two events. 

I feel sorry for Meek and Citroën but never the less, Meek shouldn't push that much if it was that bad. Just get it trough and take the points you are able to. Look at Evans with DMack - no where near the top times, but he's 7p form 3rd place in championship standings. 
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Meeke ran the later part of stage 17 in 'road mode' due to the frustration of how the car was acting, just to get to the end.  Its not in his nature to not push.  Heck, Citroen could let ME drive a C3 through the stages in road mode, if they want someone not to push, I'll oblige, just for the experience!
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Wheel Nut
    KevM said:
    Meeke ran the later part of stage 17 in 'road mode' due to the frustration of how the car was acting, just to get to the end.  Its not in his nature to not push.  Heck, Citroen could let ME drive a C3 through the stages in road mode, if they want someone not to push, I'll oblige, just for the experience!
    Sure, but how many mistakes did he make before he slowed down? hat's not how you win championship. Craig Breen had mistakes on first day and slowed down, but Meek isn't some 1st year rookie. I do hope both Kris and Thierry will perform better on the next event.
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    edited February 15
    Meeke is a No. 1 driver for the team.  Pressure is on him to podium, wee Breen has a free hand to bed in and take manu points
    Looking historically you can have a maximum of 3 bad events in a season, so the jig isn't up for meeke and neuville. But the pressure is on. 

• gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    Does the FIA think anything thru?  Add 70+ hp, lots of aero grip... complain they are too fast on stage.   Ok they are going REALLY fast now, I don't think there has been a speed related incident in Sweden

twitter: gflinch

• FloatingGrassFloatingGrass Member Wheel Nut
    What the FIA is doing is the equivalent of being allowed to either write on paper or type on a computer in class, except if you type it you have to write it later AND you cannot exceed the WPM you would achieve if you were writing.

I've never been eager to jump on the FIA **** flinging bandwagon but this is beyond brainless. There's zero point in making cars faster, more complicated, more expensive and therefore more inaccessible if they'll be tied down to regulations for slower cars, especially when they've been advertised as equal to the second coming of Christ in awesomeness.
    Expect none and 10/10 times you won't be disappointed.
  • BadD0gBadD0g Member Petrol Head
    It's stupid, but it's not exactly surprising coming from the FIA. Seems like they're freaking out about one particular section of road on the fastest event on the calendar, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped the gun on this due to the bad press from the Monte indecent. Even though that wasn't speed related, people who don't know the details will see "new, faster WRC cars" and "spectator dies in accident" and lump those together, so it isn't a great look for the FIA to have that hanging over them.

On the bright side, this may encourage organizers to pick more technical and challenging roads. Maybe that will make things more interesting for the drivers, who knows. The unknown driver in the article says that one stretch of road was boring because it was just straight.
    |  CPU: i7-4790K  |  RAM: 16GB  |  GPU: MSI 970  |  OS: Win7  |  [D0gfish] on Steam
    Dirty Forumers League - "Missile vs Bullet" 3rd place 
  • cjl9cjl9 Member Wheel Nut
    Personally I think this has all the makings of another Group B disaster.

I think we should go back to production-related cars that have to be homologated in reasonable quantities: 500 springs to mind.

It would be MUCH cheaper for the manufacturers; many more drivers would be able to afford to drive them; it would be more interesting for spectators.