Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Tuning woes

I discovered last night that for some bizarre reason my race engineer lost 2 ability points and as a result I can no longer access a huge chunk of my tuning setups because they require a skill level higher than that of my engineer to apply them. The default message says i need to employ a race engineer with a higher skill level - which is all well and good but there is nobody with a tuning skill level of 100 to replace him with.
C'mon guys, these are my own personal tunes that have been constantly modified by ME (not some cheesy race engineer) so to be told that i can no longer use them is a huge issue. Starting afresh is not an option because i'd sooner just call it a day than do that.
If anyone out there has had similar issues and discovered a way around this I'd be real grateful for their input. 

Comments

• kobeshowkobeshow Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 2017
    There are multiple ways around this, but it is another mechanic in the game that had to be rushed apparently because there are obvious flaws in there which should have never slipped through a proper Q&A.

You can buy a toolbox for your engineer (perks), which will increse his tuning skill by 20 points. The problem is that this will effectively just raise his base points by 20 for any setups you created afterwards, and leave your new setups at the mercy of his mood again.

You can create base setups with a car from a different team, and after that just overwrite them with a setup you created with your engineer, the skill requirement will not change and stay relatively low (depends on the team of course).

You can drive a quick short stage in a car you like and win it to get the mood of your engineer back up.

The reasons for mood swings are crazy though, if you enter pro tour, come in second (so still get +points), your engineer will have a tantrum and not be up to skill for the next pro tour you joined, leaving you driving with default/hastily put together setups. This will cause you to not come in first again, which can further drop the engineers mood, that forces you to "grind" in singleplayer just to get your setups for multiplayer back.

There are many design flaws in this game, this is one of the more annoying ones.

• BorisTheFrogBorisTheFrog Member Unleaded
    My facilities are all 'A' and today my engineer is ''resolute''  so not too sure where that stands on the mood-o-meter but if what you're saying is correct then the reason for his skill decline may be from when i added myself to the available players list to help a friend gain promotion and work towards his 25 race goal in pro tour last night.

Just to clarify things. Now that my career is 100% complete i've upped the difficulty settings to include 'brutal' AI to push myself towards better stage times for the leaderboards. So does this mean that now i have very little chance of winning anything my engineer abilities are going to fall even further?

Thanks for the info though - i wasn't aware of this mood thing.
    There is a "skill details" option on your engineer, and you can see the effect of mood on the tuning skill there, if you don't come in first there is a chance his mood drops from upbeat to resolute, if you start continuously doing worse his mood might drop even further, I don't have the desire to test that (;
     Nice to know that you help your friend cheese out some wins, hopefully there will be a day where there are too many players to do that (haha, yeah right).
    edited July 2017
    OK i've got this thing fathomed out now. Once a tune is saved then there is absolutely no way it can be accessed if your engineers tuning skill drops below the value of the save file (in my case 100) and the only way to return your engineer to this value is, as koebshow said, by picking a single stage championship and driving it a few times until the engineer's modifier value changes. So many thanks for pointing me in the right direction..

Oh and my pro tour 'results fixing' career is well and truly over because we both have the x2 achievements and never again have to sit in that pre-lobby to wait an eternity for the matchmaking system to find 4 players :)
    Essentially you are doing the honest racers a favor if you intentionally lose, so I was just poking some fun (;
    Remember my second tip though, do a quick and dirty setup with another team, then refine it with your own engineer, remember to overwrite it, and the skill requirement won't change although you'll have more tuning options.
    The only reason I have not done that myself is because I'm too lazy to redo all my setups.
    edited July 2017
    I did do a quick setup but like you am too lazy to redo what i already have. It's far easier to grind a few events when required :)
  • madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    edited July 2017
    I've come across a bug in the tuning setup, twice I've overwritten a previous setup with a new one and the tuning skill required is now zero, I just wish I could work out how I did it so can do it to the rest of my  tuning setups????
  • Mystx24Mystx24 Member Unleaded
    madwak said:
    I've come across a bug in the tuning setup, twice I've overwritten a previous setup with a new one and the tuning skill required is now zero, I just wish I could work out how I did it so can do it to the rest of my  tuning setups????
    If i save over a previous tune of mine this happens almost everytime. Usually its during my shakedown tunes.
    Mystx24 said:
    madwak said:
    If i save over a previous tune of mine this happens almost everytime. Usually its during my shakedown tunes.
    Hmm, i'll be interested to know exactly how you do that because mine just saves as normal
  • DefytheMachineDefytheMachine Member New Car Smell
    I have also had tunes that save as 0 but dont know how it happened????

• PorkhammerPorkhammer Member Champion
    I have also had tunes that save as 0 but dont know how it happened????

It's when you save a setup you made for a car in a different team (40 skill), load it, alter it for your own car with your own crewchief, then overwriting it when saving it.
    "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza" -michaelangelo
  • LutzMLutzM Member Unleaded
    CMMcBabe said:
    the same update that introduces Clubs.
    Do you think (not promise) that might be until the end of August  (when my summer vacation ends ;) )
  • Mystx24Mystx24 Member Unleaded
    Here look at 7:10 to 7:35 shows me doing this exact thing and it is not limited to other team 40 setups