Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    edited August 2017
    gfRally said:
    I unfortunately have to say this is an awesome announcement for WRC7.  Its really too bad Codemasters has so many licensing 'issues' anymore.  If they get the classics into WRC7 then that will make licensing quite the topic in rally related games.  
    How come that a small company like Kylotonn (never heard of them before WRC games) can afford so much licensing, but Codies (my guess, much bigger company) with way more tradition, history and standing and other racing IPs - can not?
    And don't forget Milestone, another small studio. The car list in Loeb Rally Evo is stellar.

Not to mention Kunos with 18 employees.
  • ShouldBeThereShouldBeThere Member Wheel Nut
    edited August 2017
    And don't forget Milestone, another small studio. The car list in Loeb Rally Evo is stellar.

Not to mention Kunos with 18 employees.
    Especially when you check steamdb for the active player count. Dirt Rally and Dirt 4 combined are at 1.5k+ players, whereas WRC 6 is a measly 50 on average, and Seb Loeb Rally Evo a tiny 25. What i'd give for some of the cars from both of those games, i'd pay over the odds for them. 
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    please CM, if you have to use those nefs archives, maybe next time make smaller chunks of them...
    It's really bad for my SSD if it has to rewrite all the gigabytes for every small patch...

By the way, how are clubs coming along? Once I'm ze fearless h-shifter historic champion I will need those sweet sweet leagues against real players ;)

• YorAlcoholicDadYorAlcoholicDad Member Petrol Head
    yeah the nefs filesystem gets even worst when they start to patch the game almost daily

• JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    gfRally said:
    JZStudios said:
    tbtstt said:
    Not DiRT related, but it's been announced that Forza Motorsport 7 won't have any Toyota production cars, only racing models. Toyota's licensing is becoming a law unto themselves!
    An exclusive license deal with Polyphony perhaps? Be interesting to see what makes it into GT Sport.
    Somehow I don't believe that, though they are Japanese, so it could be true. Think Forza 6 and H3 had to skip on VW altogether for some reason.
    Real shame, and it's weird that they won't license out the street cars. Even AC has a few. I always liked the MR2, but I don't want to buy an Xbone just for Forza when my wheel won't work with it. Really hope they manage to make the Win10 version actually work.
    I might be late on this, but I just noticed the Hyundai R5 rally car is available for purchase as a DLC now 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/437120/Hyundai_R5_rally_car/

The Team Booster Pack is available as well http://store.steampowered.com/app/437121/Team_Booster_Pack/
    Figures. And it's the worst possible outcome. Selling the pre-order bonus is always ****.
    Not sure what you paid for your copy and can't remember what the pre-order price was, but the 2 packs only cost $5 total, not exactly braking the bank, and if  you didn't pay the retail price anyhow, possibly you are still getting the base+DLC for less than the initial pre-order.  Not trying to argue at all, I know DLC is somehow taboo around here, but I don't think its that big of a deal.  
    It was a standard $60 to pre-order. But if I didn't, it'd still be $60 and then the additional 5 for something they gave away free. The game is still $60, and the DLC is still 5. So to get something I didn't get for free from pre-order I'd have to pay more. I hate that ****.
    The only thing worse is I'm playing through the Mass Effect trilogy (barring Andromeda) and ME2 has full on story based $10 DLC missions that actually effect the third game. Apparently the third game opens on Shepard being on trial for killing 300,000 Batarians which is ONLY in DLC that I'm not buying.
  • dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    What exactly are clubs
    KickUp said:
    KevM said:
    Please Paul, throw us a bone on the handling situation 
    We don't have an answer on the situation yet. Sorry
    Loved the work on Dirt Rally and enjoying 4. Hopefully you guys have allot more instore for us in the future. (More locations and maybe add some more sections into current locations too.)
    dgeesi0 said:
    licensing really needed to be sorted or someone pulling strings somewhere.car games are about the locations and the iconic cars.thats 90 percent of the game. if your rival companies have all the cherries what you going to put ontop of the cake ? a toyota ? :D

seriously noticed quite a bit recently and so do others that many that are making car games have the licenses for the main stuff we wanting.
    These restrictive licenses are shooting motorsport in the foot. Quality racing titles that can be used to attract people to the sport.

I would've never got into Rally had it not been for Colin Mcrea Rally. Would've never got into and bought a jet ski had it not been for wave race 64, Would've never got back into Formula 1 had it not been for Geoff Crammonds 2 year old licensed F1 games.

Quality games for thier time.. My interest in those sports dropped off allot once the racing games dried up. Was lucky Codemasters came in and saved the F1 license atleast. The worst thing is Sim racing is not a cheap investment so getting an exclusive is pretty much diminishing the value of investing into an expensive rig. Hard to justify if every sim under the sun has only a trickle of nice or iconic cars to choose from.
    you do have to ask yourself how restrictive they are though when most of the other car games have them.is it down to money or something else.whatever it is it does need to change how can rally game for eg keep pushing forward if your rivals have what you need ? most of the other companies are making great car games but sooner or later those that have those licenses will get it right.they have the edge then.
    edited August 2017
    kobeshow said:
    gfRally said:
    JZStudios said:
    tbtstt said:
    Not DiRT related, but it's been announced that Forza Motorsport 7 won't have any Toyota production cars, only racing models. Toyota's licensing is becoming a law unto themselves!
    An exclusive license deal with Polyphony perhaps? Be interesting to see what makes it into GT Sport.
    Somehow I don't believe that, though they are Japanese, so it could be true. Think Forza 6 and H3 had to skip on VW altogether for some reason.
    Real shame, and it's weird that they won't license out the street cars. Even AC has a few. I always liked the MR2, but I don't want to buy an Xbone just for Forza when my wheel won't work with it. Really hope they manage to make the Win10 version actually work.
    I might be late on this, but I just noticed the Hyundai R5 rally car is available for purchase as a DLC now 
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/437120/Hyundai_R5_rally_car/

The Team Booster Pack is available as well http://store.steampowered.com/app/437121/Team_Booster_Pack/
    Figures. And it's the worst possible outcome. Selling the pre-order bonus is always ****.
    Not sure what you paid for your copy and can't remember what the pre-order price was, but the 2 packs only cost $5 total, not exactly braking the bank, and if  you didn't pay the retail price anyhow, possibly you are still getting the base+DLC for less than the initial pre-order.  Not trying to argue at all, I know DLC is somehow taboo around here, but I don't think its that big of a deal.  
    Maybe he is coming from a different perspective, maybe he is mad because he wanted the pre-order car, so he bought the game in advnace without waiting for reviews, and is now left disappointed. Would CM have told us that the car will be there as DLC after release he may have ended up not buying the game, but if he liked it he might not mind paying a little extra to get the car.
    Preorder just seemed to be a way to secure sales then, if the DLC is available for everyone now, without properly communicating that prior to release.
    I'm sure I can find the direct quote from @kickup somewhere in the gossip, but paraphrasingly he said "because of the suits, preorder was the only way to get the car into the game"
    Partly true there too. Before launch I asked Kickup if it would ever become available, hopefully for free. He didn't say free, and I'm pretty sure he just said it might happen. So, in lieu of any confirmation I did pre-order a few hours before release, and everyone is fairly disappointed in the current handling.
    SkyRex said:
    please CM, if you have to use those nefs archives, maybe next time make smaller chunks of them...
    It's really bad for my SSD if it has to rewrite all the gigabytes for every small patch...

By the way, how are clubs coming along? Once I'm ze fearless h-shifter historic champion I will need those sweet sweet leagues against real players ;)

I can't even update my game without uninstalling something else.
  • carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    "Affont!" (WRC players in English will get that one; was still happening in the demo at recent trade show...)
    It's in every language in the game  :D and no one understands what that means
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Unleaded
    KickUp said:
    KevM said:
    Please Paul, throw us a bone on the handling situation 
    We don't have an answer on the situation yet. Sorry
    @KickUp Any other bit of info you can share?
    e.g. Yourstage situation (more tiles)
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Glad to see the Hyundai is available to all; I detest stuff that's genuinely only for people that heard about the game within a certain timeframe.

To play Devil's Advocate in the licences (because I wish there were Toyotas and Skodas!), maybe those other studios have more resource to spend on licencing because they spend less on developing the game?
  • zissakos1zissakos1 Member Unleaded
    Hi @KickUp
    those .nefs file not only seem to be a new way of packaging the files, but the game actively checks for any change being done to them and then changes into a mode where nothing is being saved online /no preogression possible etc.(maybe some kind of CRC/hash check?)

While I remember you saying that there is a different approach this time, I don't remember anything being said about the game actively preventing any modding.

While I understand that the topic of changing liveries might be a very delicate one and subject to any licencing deals, I don't understand why the same applies to modding the camera files. What is the harm if the users change the default cameras?

So  - I dare to say in the name of the whole community - I humbly ask you to consider at least allowing changes to the cameras.xml file without preventing saving/career progression.
    Would this be something that could be considered?

• AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Steward
    I can remember the dev saying that they wouldn't actively block modding?
    zissakos1 said:
    Hi @KickUp
    those .nefs file not only seem to be a new way of packaging the files, but the game actively checks for any change being done to them and then changes into a mode where nothing is being saved online /no preogression possible etc.(maybe some kind of CRC/hash check?)

While I remember you saying that there is a different approach this time, I don't remember anything being said about the game actively preventing any modding.

While I understand that the topic of changing liveries might be a very delicate one and subject to any licencing deals, I don't understand why the same applies to modding the camera files. What is the harm if the users change the default cameras?

So  - I dare to say in the name of the whole community - I humbly ask you to consider at least allowing changes to the cameras.xml file without preventing saving/career progression.
    Would this be something that could be considered?

The problem is that it could be far deeper rooted than just ticking an "Allow this option" box.
  • ipascalipascal Member New Car Smell

Hello,

Already Bravo for the view Helicopter that remains throughout our race and thank you.
    I come to make a return on Dirt4 regarding the replay of our races, especially on the Helicopter view.
    To improve the helicopter view:
    - it would be necessary to have the possibility of zooming on the car using the analog joystick to have a precise zoom or if possible, do automatic zooms.
    - it would be necessary that from time to time the helicopter could go to the side of the road to take side view of the car and not always last the car. (Looks like a parasail attached to the car right now)
    - the helicopter sight should also be able to take the car more horizontal to have a more distant landscape. In the game currently it does it slightly when the car gets up, but not enough.
    - it would also be necessary to have two helicopters to have different angles of view that would be good.

As I said before, take the example of the game WRC 2001 on PS2, this game has everything needed for replay except of course the playability and graphics of dirt 4, as I repeat in this one, This one has the possibility even for the plans tv camera to keep the view, as for example to keep the sight of the central cockpit or the view of the wheel during the replay.
    You should give the players the possibility to keep the view of any view of the game, even that of the tv camera, because for the player it is frustrating not to choose his sight to see his race in the game, Angle that one wants.
    In the game WRC2001 on PS2, there is the button that maintains the view and the button that allows to release the view and I can tell you that it is very appreciable.
    In the game Dirt4, the slows of the TV view are predefined, the change of camera corresponding to each plot of the course. One can not choose on this part of the course the view TV that one wants in WRC2001 on PS2 one can.

Jaquette of the game WRC2001 on PS2:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=wrc2001+ps2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5sqmvvsTVAhUEI1AKHZBlBlUQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=608#imgrc=h-u1EwMgoaSRfM:

There is also in the game WRC2001 on PS2 a tracking view that follows the car where the camera is the route of the road following the car from 3 to 6 meters behind without sticking the car and not the game camera that sticks car. This view should be added.

Watch video by the minute 3:51 (chase)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vncgVrzDTpw
    Can you please add these improvements that are for me and for others very important?
    Inspire yourself from WRC 2001 on PS2 for Dirt 4 or Dirt 5
    Waiting for programmer return...

thank you.

• carpacarpa Member Petrol Head
    You know there IS something wrong with the DiRT community when the Gossip Thread is kept alive by helicopters
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
    carpa said:
    You know there IS something wrong with the DiRT community when the Gossip Thread is kept alive by helicopters
    I could talk about how our shop is almost ready to go into production for UAVs, which are kind of like horizontal helicopters.