Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    Hello guys, I need a favor, if anyone who has Facebook and read this can help me with a Like in my Rallying page, I update it with pictures and results of my rallying weekends (well I started the page yesterday so, not too much info now) Here is the link, Thanks :)
    https://www.facebook.com/MaisonnaveRally/
    Oh I was going to forget about it, If you put like on my page the clubs update will come with a physics patch :p
  • Monkeyman707Monkeyman707 Member New Car Smell
    Yeah, the co-pilot is horrible, but when he screams "brake!", is it scripted, or a reaction to your driving? Because if it's the latter, it's pretty cool. It's been done in WRC: Evolved and would be nice if incorporated into the next Dirt game. :)
    The brake is a pace note telling you to prepare for a tight corner (so scripted not reacting to your driving). It is also in previous wrc titles. 

Glad to hear clubs is coming soon
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    sqdstr said:
    Finally figured out why all WRC7 videos look so utterly un-natural to me:

First, I have to admit, WRC 7 looks to be way way better than I expected. Narrow stages, that are very long and seemingly a great overall stage-design, which captures the journey of going through a changing environment. The graphics of the cars and stages also look "good-enough" and even the physics look somewhat resembling a kind of real car so far.

But: Sound and Co-Pilot are meh, as well as that "dampening" camera movements. But most disturbing, I found out now, is the road surface to me. In above video it becomes obvious, that there are very harsh 'digital`transitions on the road. Not only the texture makes line-edge-line-edge instead of smooth curves, but the road does as well and in three dimensions. The bumps and dips aren't smooth but harsh, clearly visible in the car movements. It seems like the surface is modelled with way to big triangles/polygons. Almost as if they just used one modelling resolution for the track surface and the surroundings combined.
    Normally you'd save triangles in the surroundings, since you don't need the precise fidelity there, and you'd increase the triangle-resolution drastically the closer you are to objects you are actually physically interacting with. In driving sims this is most importantly the surface you're driving on.
    As it is there in WRC 7, it`s just like driving in the PS2-era or like old RBR... 
    To me this totally breaks immersion. Roads are not build with absolute flat concrete plates stitched together, especially gravel roads.

For those confused about what the heck I'm on about:

This is how it should generally be to be resource efficient and precise:

This is how it looks like WRC 7 models it:

And this is the physical precision I would wish for in an offroad simulation:

• LutzMLutzM Member Unleaded
    As you tweeted excactly this phrase (rather weeks than months) already on July 19th I'm afraid I have to put it on my wish list for Santa...

I think it would be fair just to give some information to the community, what your plans are. They don't have to be final, just a litle bit.
    Most people are ok if it takes a bit longer than (maybe) expected, but being absolutely quiet is for weeks is something that turns players away from the game...let the community be part of some things you are thinking about... ! That's what a forum is for...
    @ChristinaMc @CMMcBabe @KickUp
  • TURBODEVIN19TURBODEVIN19 Member Petrol Head
    CMMcBabe said:
    I am busy testing some Cool Stuff and Exciting Things.
    Some gossip material right here: CSET. What does it stand for? What is he actually testing? 

Steam
    : turbodevin | GFWL: TURBODEVIN19 | Twitter: turbodevin

DiRT | DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally VR | DiRT 4 | DTM Race Driver 3 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport LBE | F1 2013 CE | Toybox Turbos

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition
  • LutzMLutzM Member Unleaded
    edited September 13
    It's safe to say that at the moment, plans for DiRT 4 aren't finalised - which is why we've not got much to update you on beyond the short-term... Which we know isn't great to hear, but it's the truth. In the near future, we'll be introducing some very cool functionality with regards to competitive gaming - Clubs, etc - but alongside that, there's not much we can confirm. We're still investigating your concerns with regards to handling - but it's a huge, huge body of work, and one we can't make any guarantees about. Honestly, there's nothing more we'd like to do than set the gossip thread alight with cheeky clues and allusions to stuff - but it's just something we can't do at the moment! However, as soon as we can... we will.
    Thanks a lot for that @ChristinaMC, this is all I wanted to read :) Take your time, now as we know you're on it..
    Thanks to @CMMcBabe also B)
    Really looking forward to the clubs... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEKjJBVMaYQ
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    CMMcBabe said:
    I am busy testing some Cool Stuff and Exciting Things.
    Some gossip material right here: CSET. What does it stand for? What is he actually testing? 
    Sounds like a tv/youtube show, "Cool Stuff and Exciting Things with CMMcBabe"

AMD FX-8350@4.5Ghz/EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

stuff that sprang to mind:

Community Selected Extra Tiles
    Clubs Stages Earth Tyres
    Corner Stones Entry Tourque
    Mixup of Central European Summer Time
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    Car Setup Extended Testing.                                                                 

• boganibogani Member Champion
    In DR the Audi gives the visual impression that it is a big, wide and heavy car. In D4 I don't get the same impression when in the car. I can't put my finger on why that is. I even double checked with Codies that the default FOV is the same in both games, and it is.

At first I also liked the FFB better in D4 but after I've been having some fun in DR I must retract that. The FFB gives you much more information in DR.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

bogani said:
    In DR the Audi gives the visual impression that it is a big, wide and heavy car. In D4 I don't get the same impression when in the car. I can't put my finger on why that is. I even double checked with Codies that the default FOV is the same in both games, and it is.

At first I also liked the FFB better in D4 but after I've been having some fun in DR I must retract that. The FFB gives you much more information in DR.
    Sounds alright. It's just a visual illusion, the quattro is actually quite a small car:

• sqdstrsqdstr Member Race Steward
    some more preview videos                                       

• KevMKevM Member Champion
    Oh how I wish we could have WRC 7 stages with DiRT Rally physics....

I was worried that they'd ruined Wales but the stage looks epic!  A bit washed out, but epic!
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Wheel Nut
    I don't get why they don't use reverse stages. That would bring the count to 144 minus I think 16 for the SSS.