Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Engine and gearbox durability/wear

Is anyone else finding the wear/durability rates of components high? After two races I had to replace my gearbox, engine and several other misc parts. At this rate I'll run out of parts by mid season - Its unclear if additional parts are available after the allotted amount? 

Seems to be a little higher than real life? Doing 30min practice, full qual, 25% race distance. 

Comments

• Imhotep222Imhotep222 Member New Car Smell
    Yes, you can get more parts. You can have up to 6 gearboxes and 8 of each of the power unit (PU) components, but to use them brings grid penalties on the weekend you use them for the first time. You take a 5 place penalty if you change a gearbox before it's done 6 consecutive races, and power unit penalties are a bit more complicated:

"The first time a fifth of any of the elements is used, a ten-place grid penalty will be imposed. A five-place grid penalty will then be imposed the first time a fifth of any of the remaining elements is used. Likewise, the first time a sixth of any of the elements is used, a ten-place grid penalty will be imposed, and so on."
    https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Power_Unit_and_ERS.html

In the game, 25% race distance is the worst. The component wear rate is scaled depending on the length of the race, so if you've got shorter races practice and quali laps have more of an impact. I did a season with Renault at 25% when I upgraded each component's durability to level 1 and a handful (definitely ICE and gearbox) further than that, but still got on to my 6th gearbox and 7th or 8th power unit.

Everyone else was in the same boat though - I had several races where more than half the grid took grid penalties. So my advice would be to introduce a whole new PU (all 6 components) every so often and start from the back once, then you'll be able to be at the front for the next few races. Also switch back to old (more worn) components for practice to avoid wearing out new ones that'll be good for quali and the race.

Finally, durability upgrades are applied retrospectively - so after you research a durability upgrade it reduces the wear both components you've already used and any new ones you introduce in the future.
  • Piggy74Piggy74 Member New Car Smell
    Yeah I only saw the durability upgrades in race 4, spent most of my points on chassis.. Lesson learned.

That's what I figured for shorter races, most of my wear has been coming from practice sessions trying to get the maximum points.

• DolphinGrayA4DolphinGrayA4 Member Unleaded
    There was a bug for the 25% races early on which had increased wear, but 1.05 fixed that.

People know the parts wear out, i domt understand why everyone is up in arms about it. You can do the durability upgrades but choose not to. Then people complain about parts wearing out too fast. The game is made that way so that its not just about upgrading for performance. You have to think about the big picture. 
  • RaalteRaalte Member Race Steward
    I only applied 1 engine update and 18 on durability. Now my gearbox lasts at least 8 races. Engine durability is not fully upgraded but I could finish the season with 5 engines after replacing the first after 2 races.
    Xbox GT: F1XL Roland | Twitter: @raalte86

F1XL Moderator | F1XL S11 Overall Constructors Champion | F1XL F4 Racer | F1XL TO | F1XL Press & Steward | TWRL Admin | XFR F2 Racer | RFL F2 Racer

www.f1xl.co.uk | www.f1rivals.com | @TWRLRacing | @RFLF1League ;
  • EnsiFerrumEnsiFerrum Member Pit Crew
    The initial wear rates are way to high, imo.
    After the first race in carrer with Williams (say Mercedes engine): ICE at 27%, MGU-H 26%, Turbo Charger 27%!
    In Practice I've only driven the mandatory test programs, no extra Stints.
    In Qualifying I decided to do only 2 flying laps in 1 stint per session.
    Gearbox is at 18%!

"I find your lack of communications disturbing" - Lord Darth Vader to Codemasters Community Manager
    Body is n characters too short. <- THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
    Once with professionals ...

Sys-Spec:
     Intel Core i7-6700K / 32GB RAM / ASUS Stryx GTX 1080 A8G / Creative Soundblaster Z
     Fanatec CSL Elite / CSL Wheel P1/ CSW Formula Carbon / CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 / ClubSport Wheel GT / CSP v3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 / ClubSport Handbrake
     TrackIR / WMR Lenovo Explorer
     Windows Version 1803 (Build 18219.1000)
    After the first race in carrer with Williams (say Mercedes engine): ICE at 27%, MGU-H 26%, Turbo Charger 27%!
    Gearbox is at 18%!

But the game is made so you need to apply those upgrades to the durability. Or else if the engines lasted 4 races each before upgrades, then they would last a whole season.

Its part of the game, just upgrade the durability and quit complaining about it.

• RaalteRaalte Member Race Steward
    edited September 2017
    My durability upgrades and my current wear after  1 raceweekend in season 2. Full qualify 25% race:
    Total 33 laps

ICE: 100% durability 12% wear 
    MGU-K: 100% durability 9% wear
    MGU-H% 100% durability 8% wear
    ES: 40% durability 14% wear
    TC: 100% durability 9% wear
    CE: 10% durability 13% wear
    Gearbox: 100% durability 7% wear

Just to give you guys an idea what the durability upgrades do. 
    Xbox GT: F1XL Roland | Twitter: @raalte86

F1XL Moderator | F1XL S11 Overall Constructors Champion | F1XL F4 Racer | F1XL TO | F1XL Press & Steward | TWRL Admin | XFR F2 Racer | RFL F2 Racer

www.f1xl.co.uk | www.f1rivals.com | @TWRLRacing | @RFLF1League ;
  • NowthenfellaNowthenfella Member New Car Smell
    Durability and wear was tweaked in patch 1.05 but they are still looking at it and may tweak it further. in my opinion the wear/durability should be the same in practice and qualifying over all race distances and should only scale for the race. Whilst I agree that putting point into r&d durability is important I think the balance is still off as it would be nice to upgtade other parts of the car now and again
  • EnsiFerrumEnsiFerrum Member Pit Crew
    Why is there R&D for the engine at all?
    The only teams manufacturing engines are Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda (McLaren). Their customers will give the data gained in a GP Weekend to them. But I don't think they have such an influence on engine development. 
    "I find your lack of communications disturbing" - Lord Darth Vader to Codemasters Community Manager
    Body is n characters too short. <- THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
    Once with professionals ...

Sys-Spec:
     Intel Core i7-6700K / 32GB RAM / ASUS Stryx GTX 1080 A8G / Creative Soundblaster Z
     Fanatec CSL Elite / CSL Wheel P1/ CSW Formula Carbon / CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 / ClubSport Wheel GT / CSP v3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 / ClubSport Handbrake
     TrackIR / WMR Lenovo Explorer
     Windows Version 1803 (Build 18219.1000)
  • racingAlanracingAlan Member New Car Smell
    edited September 2017
    I agree the durability needs a further patch. All the first upgrades and still going through gearboxes and engines like nothing else.  I'm finding it improved after the patch but just not enough and this is on 50% race distance. The AI suffers too, massively.  So yeah, this needs a further patch and I hope Codemasters are working on it.
  • sjsharp2010sjsharp2010 Member Champion
    Gearbox is at 18%!

that's kind of what I do as well.

In war victory, In peace vigilance, In death sacrifice -grey warden motto

I agree the durability needs a further patch. All the first upgrades and still going through gearboxes and engines like nothing else.  I'm finding it improved after the patch but just not enough and this is on 50% race distance. The AI suffers too, massively.  So yeah, this needs a further patch and I hope Codemasters are working on it.
    How many laps raced on each component though? Over revving?
  • TheVelvetoneTheVelvetone Member Unleaded
    I play qualifications and races on 98 AI difficulty but lower it to 92 when I start the practice sessions. That way I can do it all nice and relaxed in the perfect purple and only use the minimum amount of laps and that way I have way less engine and gearbox wear :smile:
  • moozi85moozi85 Member New Car Smell
    Wearing out all the components doing multiple laps trying to get resource points it pointless and frustrating why grind for twice the time when turning the difficulty down gives you the same amount of resource point in half the time