Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    CM, listen up, might have a great idea for future YourStage:

Generating might be the best way to mold the road itself, since it creates the actual road-mesh and believable nature of the road (like necesary terrain-molding for roads, you can´t just draw a gravel texture over terrain), but the actual character of a track most of the time requires creativity you can`t achieve automated (unless training high level neural networks). So how about something like this:
    Additionally to making the tiles smaller, best would be half-corner-tile-size, how about when generating a strip of road, show way more details with zoom options, surface type and so on in the preview picture. And offer the ability to the player to lock-down a specific stretch of road he likes and just re-generate the rest. This way you'd keep the simple nature of the generator, while giving the audience much more power in creating a stage that looks how they want it.
    After having generated the layout they want, you could offer to Auto-prop it with roadside objects or to manual-prop:
    For the latter you'd actually load up the generated stage, but with no props at all, all freely available to be placed anywhere. There the player can let go with creativity placing fences, houses, trees, Haystacks, barriers, spectators, banners, fires, Hinkelsteine, Trucks, cars, guardrails, logpiles, flags, etc. with road-placed props being actively included in pacenotes ("chicane", "caution"). This could allow to create stages with character and journey by the users and still keep the ease of the generator.

Saving a custom stage wouldn't need more than currently, plus the number, type and location of the props. Don't know what the limit for consoles is in savegame size, but you could simply allow consoles to have only a few custom stages locally and the rest in cloud-save to circumvent this?
    Hope I expressed what I mean somewhat understandable. Just a(nother) suggestion to consider for follow-up rally-sim-game ;)
  • sqdstrsqdstr Member Race Steward
    sqdstr said:

Clear winner, I had more hopes with the WRC 7 progress.
    Watching that video you value what D4 is
    I have to admit that I do like the engine sound of that Fiesta R5 more in WRC 7 than D4 though...
    In Dirt 4, its the real sound of the Fiesta R5...

Fiesta R5's sound much deeper than how they sound in D4.
    Yes it might be recorded from a real car, it still doesn't sound close to the real deal.
  • FerranisFerranis Member Unleaded
    I must say from the videos this looks really, really promising! And when watching these videos... the stages make the most difference. I really love the generated approach from d4 ... but the handmade stages beat your stage. 

Honestly its the same with Dirt Rally and D4. I played DR for 600 hours and only then driving the same stages got repetetive - the d4 ones kinda feel this way now :/ ... After 60 hours or so.
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Race Steward
    Ferranis said:
    I must say from the videos this looks really, really promising! And when watching these videos... the stages make the most difference. I really love the generated approach from d4 ... but the handmade stages beat your stage. 

Honestly its the same with Dirt Rally and D4. I played DR for 600 hours and only then driving the same stages got repetetive - the d4 ones kinda feel this way now :/ ... After 60 hours or so.
    I would like both, Career with real stages, and also your stage using the tiles of the stages, imagine if you put in a single game every Stage of SLRE, WRC 7, DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 and also make tiles of them, it would be infinite gaming LOL
  • DeMoN1111111DeMoN1111111 Member New Car Smell
    edited September 2017
    Dirt 4: 4km stages. And I thought the Dirt Rally ones were short :(
  • badaboum528badaboum528 Member New Car Smell
    sqdstr said:
    sqdstr said:

Clear winner, I had more hopes with the WRC 7 progress.
    Watching that video you value what D4 is
    I have to admit that I do like the engine sound of that Fiesta R5 more in WRC 7 than D4 though...
    In Dirt 4, its the real sound of the Fiesta R5...

Fiesta R5's sound much deeper than how they sound in D4.
    Yes it might be recorded from a real car, it still doesn't sound close to the real deal.
    It doesn't sound even close to the version in WRC7. Thats my point!
  • madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 2017
    Well that was an anti climax, WRC7 drives as **** as WRC6 with regards to ffb on a steering wheel - what a let down, as usual all the YouTube vids by people with pre release copies were a load of ball cocks !!!!!!
  • DytutDytut Member Team Principal
    Now that's disappointing :-/ I thought they said they had made WRC7 with wheels in mind.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.

• boganibogani Member Champion
    They really did capture the look and feel of each location in WRC7 from what I've seen so far. I'm reluctantly dreaming of what codies could have done with the license...

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• madwakmadwak Member Wheel Nut
    Dytut said:
    Now that's disappointing :-/ I thought they said they had made WRC7 with wheels in mind.
    One very strange thing with it is if you have the PS4 controller set to turn off to save the battery it disconnects the wheel when it turns off? 
    Im using the Fanatec CSL elite PS4 and at least the rev lights and gear indicator work on it but it doesn't make up for the hovercraft style handling. Maybe it feels different on a Thrustmaster we will have to wait and see?
    Yeah I saw a review where they mentioned that the game was thrustmaster certified and I have a T300 wheel. I'm on the PC so I'll get it and give it a go tonight. Those epic stages do seem awesome even if the handling isn't the greatest.

• KevMKevM Member Champion
    Dgeesio will be on shortly with an initial review.
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    madwak said:
    Dytut said:
    One very strange thing with it is if you have the PS4 controller set to turn off to save the battery it disconnects the wheel when it turns off? 
    Im using the Fanatec CSL elite PS4 and at least the rev lights and gear indicator work on it but it doesn't make up for the hovercraft style handling. Maybe it feels different on a Thrustmaster we will have to wait and see?
    I have a G29 and the default wheel settings in WRC 6 were atrocious. Took a lot of fiddling to get it decent. Try messing with steering sensitivity. That setting was very wierd in 6. They might have fixed it, but in 6 I found 25% to be a sweet spot.

They still haven't announced supported peripherals so we don't even know if your wheel is supported.
    This looks pretty good!

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• LutzMLutzM Member Unleaded
    bogani said:
    This looks pretty good!

This guy doesn't seem to know that little invention called handbrake...and the car seems to oversteer (a thing lots of people complained about when watching the first D4 vids...)
    Think it's time that codies get that licence for WRC...
    Looks decent. One thing that bothers me a bit is that the 1:38 on that run (that had quite a few mistakes) is quite a bit faster than the 1:44 on the IRL run.

Dytut said:
    Looks decent. One thing that bothers me a bit is that the 1:38 on that run (that had quite a few mistakes) is quite a bit faster than the 1:44 on the IRL run.
    Yeah, but how accurate are the stage itself? It's obviously not laser scanned.
    Performance wise, it's not intended as a hardcore sim by any means anyway.

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• FerranisFerranis Member Unleaded
    edited September 2017
    Hmhmhm, played it for a hour. This game definitely has something!

Pro:
    -> The stages are more than awesome
    -> Graphics are decent
    -> No handholding, do or die
    -> Gravel/Engine sounds are good

Cons:
    -> The game seems to always stutter a bit, changed about every setting and couldn't find anything against it. Its not the fps though
    -> Driving with a wheel seems to take a lot of fiddling in the settings to get a good feeling (haven't found the best settings yet)
    -> The handbrake is wierd and does only induce very little oversteer
    -> The driving physics are decent, but far from D4 or DR
    -> The codriver... we don't talk about the codriver...

All in all I will continue to play it as a second game behind D4, in the hope that some of the rough edges get fixed.