Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Why are the display graphics on steering wheel different

Why is the 2017 game steering wheel info graphics so different to the real life ones

Comments

• CaptainAustCaptainAust Member Petrol Head
    possibly licencing arrangements

middle leg of body is not short
  • AzymotoAzymoto Member New Car Smell
    Flazh92 said:
    what has an display to do with licensing? I mean they must have to license for the Steering wheel so why can't they do the display right. Would be really cool if we could get the original displays.. Project Cars has this where you can switch through diffrent modes to see data on the steering wheel display.

Exactly....
    Not only that...the steering wheels in the game look so dull, Codemasters could of made them more like the ones on AC 2017 mod.
    Also the quality of graphics of the cars are terrible especially with cockpit view..you have to be very close to the other car to see if its a Ferrari or Williams etc..PS4 HD.
  • RegmaesterRegmaester Member Wheel Nut
    Azymoto said:
    Also the quality of graphics of the cars are terrible especially with cockpit view..you have to be very close to the other car to see if its a Ferrari or Williams etc..PS4 HD.
    I think you are wrong about it. 

I can see every car and know which team they belong from a very fair distance. 

Azymoto said:

Are you on PS4...
  • SauloCirineuSauloCirineu Member Unleaded
    IMO the major problem is speed info. It is way down in small font. I think speed info could be where position info is located (upper right) and with a bit bigger font. 

The most important info is gear, the second should be speed. I don't know why Codemasters inserted it so far from our eye focus.
  • FlexiwingFlexiwing Member New Car Smell
    Speed is instinctive in a race car and largely irrelevant to know the exact speed you are doing.
  • sebasdenbsebasdenb Member Wheel Nut
    Azymoto said:

Not sure which platform you're on, but on PS4 it's very difficult to distinguish, I have even mistaken a Sauber for a McLaren Honda at times and my eyesight is fine.
  • SauloCirineuSauloCirineu Member Unleaded
    Flexiwing said:
    Speed is instinctive in a race car and largely irrelevant to know the exact speed you are doing.
    No, it is not. When you are making a setup is super relevant to know you speed in/out corners and your speed just before opening DRS. 

I dare you change one point in rear camber and tell if it is better or worse then before just with your instinct. Just try it...
  • FetalFetal Member Wheel Nut
    sebasdenb said:
    Azymoto said:

Not sure which platform you're on, but on PS4 it's very difficult to distinguish, I have even mistaken a Sauber for a McLaren Honda at times and my eyesight is fine.
    im on ps4 and i can see the difference between a williams and ferrari's rear end from very close, and medium distance.. once it gets to long distances (im just out of final turn at Austria, and they are most of the way down the straight) then its tough to tell a most cars from its rear end..  tho this might have more to do with "motion blur" setting than anything else... the further away something is the less crisp it is. (unless u turn it off)

• coolieboycoolieboy Member, Drivers Race Engineer
    Azymoto said:
    Why is the 2017 game steering wheel info graphics so different to the real life ones
    It has nothing to do with licenses and everything to do with laziness.  
  • CofferCoffer Member Pit Crew
    Flexiwing said:
    No, it is not. When you are making a setup is super relevant to know you speed in/out corners and your speed just before opening DRS. 

I dare you change one point in rear camber and tell if it is better or worse then before just with your instinct. Just try it...
    If you're a good driver you absolutely can. You're already getting enough information from the car to know that even without seeing the outright speed.
  • lolschrauberlolschrauber Member Race Engineer
    How relevant is this issue?

Do that many people want to turn off the HUD?
    Does your life have a TV-Cam? No, it doesn't.
    How relevant is this issue?

Do that many people want to turn off the HUD?
    A good friend of mine does it in every racing game he plays. He's not even close to being bothered by the displays, so it's down to a segment of a segment of people at best.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    edited September 2017
    Flexiwing said: Speed is instinctive in a race car and largely irrelevant to know the exact speed you are doing
    Tell that to the old hands at le mans. Often they wouldn't even talk about outright speed in front of others, they'd talk about RPMs in highest gear and so between them and their engineer they'd know from having set the ratios what each 100rpm would mean in terms of speed.

Considering the guy had asked for speed to be put in a more prominent place (IE positions spot), are you saying then that knowing your position is more or less irrelevant than speed? I'd guess less.

On topic. Put better info in the wheels screens, make them cycle-able with fairly obvious things like tyre temps, Delta's, engine temps, speed and gears, and possibly a game of snake for the "good drivers" as they instinctively know everything else and probably have some free time  :D
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    FRACTURED said:
    Flexiwing said: Speed is instinctive in a race car and largely irrelevant to know the exact speed you are doing
    Tell that to the old hands at le mans. Often they wouldn't even talk about outright speed in front of others, they'd talk about RPMs in highest gear and so between them and their engineer they'd know from having set the ratios what each 100rpm would mean in terms of speed.

Considering the guy had asked for speed to be put in a more prominent place (IE positions spot), are you saying then that knowing your position is more or less irrelevant than speed? I'd guess less.

On topic. Put better info in the wheels screens, make them cycle-able with fairly obvious things like tyre temps, Delta's, engine temps, speed and gears, and possibly a game of snake for the "good drivers" as they instinctively know everything else and probably have some free time  :D
    Most Le Mans drivers aren't very skilled. The point at which you can use instinct to really figure out how fast you're going is above that, though it's usually much lower in sims than it is in real life.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Coffer said:
    Most Le Mans drivers aren't very skilled. The point at which you can use instinct to really figure out how fast you're going is above that, though it's usually much lower in sims than it is in real life.
    Wut
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.