Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Favourite and least favourite circuits?

Comments

• pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    edited October 2017
    Yeah I’m sorry, I thought we could have a respectful discussion, but it seems like all your responses have devolved to either “if you like it, you’re not a good enough driver” or “you don’t understand Formula 1 and the stewards suck” I’m sorry, but neither of those are really appropriate justification for your arguments. Also, Vettel is not as good as Hamilton, as he is petulant and stupid on track. He is a modern great but Hamilton is just better (no I’m not a Brit so have no inherent bias). And honestly, it’s irrelevant how good Button or Webber are (need I remind you Webber nearly took the 2010 title and probably would have if Red Bull actually supported him instead of babying the petulant little boy) They’re still better than you and hence I’d value their opinions more. You’re arguments just come off as arrogant and seem to simplify to, “I’m better than you, therefore I’m right.” Sorry but that doesn’t fly with me.
  • RhinoCharging00RhinoCharging00 Member Co-Driver
    Button is not a "mediocre driver" in any sense of the word.

He is a world champion and more than held his own against Hamilton whilst at McLaren.

pijin said:
    Yeah I’m sorry, I thought we could have a respectful discussion, but it seems like all your responses have devolved to either “if you like it, you’re not a good enough driver” or “you don’t understand Formula 1 and the stewards suck” I’m sorry, but neither of those are really appropriate justification for your arguments. Also, Vettel is not as good as Hamilton, as he is petulant and stupid on track. He is a modern great but Hamilton is just better (no I’m not a Brit so have no inherent bias). And honestly, it’s irrelevant how good Button or Webber are (need I remind you Webber nearly took the 2010 title and probably would have if Red Bull actually supported him instead of babying the petulant little boy) They’re still better than you and hence I’d value their opinions more. You’re arguments just come off as arrogant and seem to simplify to, “I’m better than you, therefore I’m right.” Sorry but that doesn’t fly with me.

You are quite right that they are both better than him and therefore their opinions far more important.

Put simply they actually drove F1 whereas some have just played a game about F1.
  • RaalteRaalte Member Race Steward
    Coffer said:
    Raalte said:
    @Coffer

Look at turn 1-2 from Sepang, Shanghai and Sakir. They're essentially the same. Only difference is the size. That's one of problems I have with Tilke tracks. Alot of corners are copied from other tracks.

As for COTA, I find the esses there more difficult than Suzuka.
    You're driving poorly if you think they're the same. Shanghai and Sakhir are both much more extreme than Sepang's, though to opposite ends.

>As for COTA, I find the esses there more difficult than Suzuka.
    You're definitely driving poorly. And that's my main issue with CotA - the skill ceiling is very low.

pijin said:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_of_the_Americas

COTA is a Tilke track. Tavo Hellmund was the promoter and worked with Tilke for the layout, but he was not the track architect. And I still don’t see how you can love Suzuka’s esses but hate COTA. It’s higher speed and even more challenging in my opinion and gives me such a buzz when I hook it up. The whole first half of the track just flows so nicely for me. At T13-15 is brilliant because right after a braking zone, all those slow speed corners mean practically no dirty air and just a few turns of just trying to out-traction and out-brake your opponent. I think it's just wrong to say it promotes bad driving, it promotes good racing. Alonso is hardly an example for "bad driving" because there was no way he was getting past a Williams that had DRS on any other part of the circuit. Look at all the other passes that happen into the third sector like in 2012, 2014, and the numerous passes in 2015.

From what I've seen in real life as well, drivers like Alonso, Button, and Hamilton have praised it. Webber went so far as to put in his book that COTA is "one of the few new tracks that can hold its head high among the best F1 has to offer." Naturally, this is a game, and will certainly be different from experiencing it in reality, but I personally think it is pretty darn good.

To each his own, I suppose.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120426215922/http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula1/turn-for-turn-austin-tracks-design-layout-should-2321735.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

Your very source contradicts you. Hellmund is the designer. Tilke just oversaw its construction and had no input in the layout.

>And I still don’t see how you can love Suzuka’s esses but hate COTA.
    As I previously mentioned, it's significantly easier, partly because of the higher speeds. It's much easier to nail the apexes and get a good line. If it gives you a buzz, you're not nailing it well enough. You could even say this about a lot of other corners in the 2017 cars, which are much too easy to drive no matter the sim.

>At T13-15 is brilliant because right after a braking zone, all those slow speed corners mean practically no dirty air and just a few turns of just trying to out-traction and out-brake your opponent.
    If you are in any way competent and don't have an outright worse car like Massa did against Alonso last year, you're just going to outdrag them either way, especially if you're good on the throttle like drivers like Vettel and Hamilton tend to be. The only real time you're going to have a proper battle on your hands is either on lap 1 when everyone's still somewhat bunched up enough or if you're a dirty driver like Alonso was last year.

>Alonso is hardly an example for "bad driving" because there was no way he was getting past a Williams that had DRS on any other part of the circuit.
    So he instead did it by breaking Massa's car with a ridiculous move that, when the stewarding was significantly more competent 10-15 years ago, would've gotten him a penalty. Welcome to a sport where bad driving has not only become the norm (Ricciardo, Verstappen), it's even encouraged (Red Bull heavily advocating the new steward leniency prior to the start of 2017). I don't recall Massa doing anything dirty when he was stuck behind a slower Alonso all race at Spa due to the McLaren's incredible downforce carrying it in S2.

>From what I've seen in real life as well, drivers like Alonso, Button, and Hamilton have praised it. Webber went so far as to put in his book that COTA is "one of the few new tracks that can hold its head high among the best F1 has to offer."
    That's not saying much and is a logical fallacy. Their opinions are far from the only ones, and given the lack of skill of 3 of those 4 drivers on Tilkedromes (all but Hamilton) and at Suzuka (all but Button), if anything it's just a simple case of a bad track catering to them more than usual. Them being good doesn't make them more valid either (hence the fallacy), as Alonso and Hamilton are both worse than Vettel, who, last I heard, has no real opinion on it despite loving Suzuka. (And it's even wrong as Button and Webber were very mediocre drivers relative to the top drivers of the current millenium or the likes of Prost and Lauda.)

What load of BS. 'You're not good enough, so I'm right'.

To me you prove you have a weird look on F1. Calling Ricciardo and Verstappen bad drivers.
    That says enough about you. 
    Xbox GT: F1XL Roland | Twitter: @raalte86

F1XL Moderator | F1XL S11 Overall Constructors Champion | F1XL F4 Racer | F1XL TO | F1XL Press & Steward | TWRL Admin | XFR F2 Racer | RFL F2 Racer

www.f1xl.co.uk | www.f1rivals.com | @TWRLRacing | @RFLF1League ;
  • pijinpijin Member Race Engineer
    Sounds like he's some disgruntled F1 old-timer who always goes around saying "ya darn kids, back in my day, F1 drivers were REAL men." Except he thinks Vettel is definitively better than Hamilton and Alonso, so clearly he has a soft spot for the childish and petulant as well.. Some people are so complex...
  • Uday9479Uday9479 Member Unleaded
    I just drove a mini championship race around Baku. Not only did I qualify 1st, I pulled ahead from rest of the field.
    I just love this track, especially the 2nd sector. The 1st sector of 90 degree turns remind me of New York circuit from GT4.
    Just like GT series, wouldn't mind a endurance race at this circuit.
  • SeriouslySeriously Member Petrol Head
    Best:
    1. Singapore
    2. Australia (Melbourne)
    3. Spa
    4. Japan (Suzuka)
    5. Monaco

Worst:
    1. China
    2. Azerbaijan (Baku)
    3. USA
    4. Malaysia
    5. Brazil
    Why so Serious?? - Youtuber with 9000+ subs
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCpGFqMUvjA3XYR47hsRzoQ
    F1 2017 Beta Tester
    F1 2018 Beta Tester

I don't care too much what happened in the past. I prefer to focus on what is coming next and I am really looking forward to it.

Simply racing a Formula 1 car is an achievement.

You can't change what happened. But you can still change what will happen.

• TAKIINOUETAKIINOUE Member Pit Crew
    edited October 2017

Best 5

1) Spa-Francorchamps
    2) Monza
    3) Interlagos
    4) Montreal
    5) Abu Dhabi

Honourable mentions to Hockenheim and Magny Cours. Be good to see the French and German GPs next season, albeit no Magny Cours.

Worst 5

1) Singapore
    2) Monte Carlo
    3) Baku
    4) Mexico
    5) Hungary

Honourable mentions to Korea (THE worst circuit in history), India, Turkey and Valencia.
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    Taki Inoue. Blast from the past.

Body is 8 Ukyo Katayama's too long.
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    I wonder if anyone would be willing to buy DLC tracks?

Might start a thread.
  • VmwarVmwar Member New Car Smell
    I became thoughtful. Evaluated as a route, not as an event

My list of the best:

1. Germany (both routes)
    2. Canada, Montreal
    3. Belgium, Spa
    4. Italy, Monza
    5. Monaco

And so I'm satisfied with everything. It is especially interesting in Singapore.
  • RacingBlue99RacingBlue99 Member New Car Smell
    In game, my top 6 tracks are: Canada, Sochi, Austria, USA, Singapore and Catalunya. (I have noticed people have said that most of these were in their worst)
    My worst 5 tracks in game: Shanghai, Monaco, Suzuka, Interlagos and Bahrain. These I find either boring or a part of the track that I seem to consistently be losing time on.
    I use a controller for all tracks, and for a track like Monaco it is quite annoying, but there are some tracks that seem to just suit my racing style on this game.
    I see a lot of people don't like Baku, which I personally quite enjoyed.

It is great fun in the classic RB6,  in particular through that twisty mid section.
  • kalisperiskalisperis Member New Car Smell
    To start, I'm gonna say that I am completely new to racing games and F1 2017 for PC was my first.
    Also I'm playing with an Xbox One controller, with Full Assists except for Braking, at 95 AI difficulty, playing at 50% laps.
    I started with McLaren and after 3 seasons I went to Red Bull which I just finished at the top.

Best 5 tracks for me:
    1) Baku: I absolutely love driving there. The only downside is the AI coding on turn 8 (castle I think)  which can lead to absolute mayhem.
    2) Monza: An iconic track and a joy to race in.
    3) Belgium: Driving full speed through the Eau Rouge is a reason enough.
    4) Mexico: Don't know why but racing wise I do the best times there so I have to put it in.
    5) Sochi: I got my first win there and it has a special place for me.

Worst 5 track for me:
    1) Monaco: Well, I don't know how can you play this track with a gamepad and don't break it. It's not only that you have to be absolutely perfect in each turn, it's that if you are not, best case scenario you will lose time to AI. I played the 39 laps and I think it took me 2 hours to finish. The flashback button may not work anymore for me.
    2) Brazil: For me it's a slightly better Monaco and I know it sounds crazy. But for the life of me I can't drive in this track. Turn 11 for me is just unplayable. Whatever I do I cannot find the apex because my "wheel" can only turn so much.
    3) Spain: A boring and not at all enjoyable race.
    4) China: Boring for me and a nightmare for those who play with a pad.
    5) Singapore: It's not that I don't like it per se, I just struggle to race there but it's playable.
  • KillingJoke197KillingJoke197 Member New Car Smell
    Best 5:
    Singapore - Great atmosphere and I can get a good rythm
    Spa - Lots of fast fun corners
    Melbourne - Again a track with a very good flow for me
    Canada - Really fast and you just can keep pushing
    Imola (pre 1994) - Fast and fun

Worst 5:
    China - I just hate the first never ending corner
    Malaysia - Some corners are just ****
    Silverstone new layout - I hate the new corners
    Magny Cours - "worst circuit that I know" -Jacques Villeneuve
     COTA - Can't find a rythm at all, few turns are fun and most are not
  • LemagragLemagrag Member New Car Smell
    best:
    1: Montreal
    2: Shanghai
    3: Red Bull Ring 
    4: Barcelona 
    5: Melbourne

Worst
    1: Silverstone
    2: Singapore
    3: Monaco
    4: COTA
    5: Hungaroring
  • kmw350kmw350 Member New Car Smell
    Best:
    Monaco
    Hungary
    Baku
    Singapore
    Abu Dhabi

Worst:
    Monza
    Malaysia
    India
    Sochi
    COTA

But to be honest, even the ones I listed as 'worst' are still ok, just not my favourites.

I like Monaco, Hungary, street circuits and tight twisty tracks that demand some concentration, precision, & risk/reward driving.

• haydn23haydn23 Member Team Principal
    Best: (In no particular order) also only F1 2017
    Austria                               
    Monza
    Hungary
    Silverstone
    Hockenheim 

Worst: (No Particular Order)
    Russia
    Bahrain
    Singapore
    Australia
    baku

Road Atlanta, Lime Rock and Laguna Seca are also 3 of my favourite all time tracks. Ofc not in F1 games tho.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD4KthnFwavKbaHfHtz5ulg
    Steam: Haydn02  Xbox: Sid3ways Nismo PSN: Jenbut21 Twitter: @SidewaysNismo Uplay: H4ydn02
  • BULLDOZORBULLDOZOR Member Unleaded
    Best 5

1) Hungaroring
    2) Monaco
    3) Suzuka
    4) Paul Ricard
    5) Singapore
    6) Red Bull Ring

Worst 5

1) Sochi
    2) Bahrain
    3) China
    4) Baku
    5) Brazil
  • robin8frobin8f Member Wheel Nut
    Favourite: 
    - Spain 
    - Austria 
    - Belgium 
    - Italy 
    - Japan (i love the classic circuits with flowing corners) 

Least favourite: 
    - China 
    - Monaco 
    - Baku 
    - Singapore (i hate street circuits, they shouldn't be in F1) 
    - USA