Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Screen freezes when recording online (PC)

RigorousTigerRigorousTiger Member Unleaded
I've had this ever since F1 2016. Everytime I try recording online I get major screenfreezes. On F1 2016 lowering the recoding resolution to 720p eliminated this. However, on F1 2017 this isn't working anymore. I'm pretty sure there was a version of the game where it worked pretty well but I can't exactly remember which exact version. It is quite annoying, especially since on of my main YouTube series is on multiplayer. I have no idea what is causing this as recording offline works perfectly fine and even online I get 70-100 fps and never drop below 60fps. I also want to add that I have spoken to several people with exactly the same issues.

Comments

• F1SupportF1Support Member, Codemasters Co-Driver
    Hi @RigorousTiger, what program are you using to record? Can you have a look in task manager and see what's using the CPU when the freeze occurs please? Have you tried putting vsync on to see if that helps at all?
  • RigorousTigerRigorousTiger Member Unleaded
    F1Support said:
    Hi @RigorousTiger, what program are you using to record? Can you have a look in task manager and see what's using the CPU when the freeze occurs please? Have you tried putting vsync on to see if that helps at all?
    I use shadowplay to record. I am very sure that it isn't CPU related as Shadowplay doesn't use it as much and I get around 20% CPU usage when playing the game. I have also tried Vsynch but nothing seems to work.
  • Da1reDa1re Member New Car Smell
    we also had a couple of issues in our league for people with nvidia / shadowplay recording with screen freezes.
    i think it went better after they turned it off.

on amd, things seem to be fine (at least i didnt have any issues recording yet with my 290x / amd relive)
  • cheekymunkey78cheekymunkey78 Member New Car Smell
    edited November 15
    Windows 10 home 64bit, all updates installed

I also have always had shadowplay (geforce experience) cause issues with screen freeze and since Nvidia drivers 388.00 and the "fall" windows update it had been a nightmare even when not recording, freezing the game every few seconds (388.13 was no better), the overlay not starting and not being able to activate the overlay and audio "pops", so I decided to do something about it.

My fix was to uninstall all Nvidia drivers in safe mode using a 3rd party software called display driver uninstaller v17.0.7.9

I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers but not geforce experience. (Reinstalling gf exp. Fixed some of the issues but not the freezing)
    (Note: I am using Nvidia inspector to limit the FPS to 60 -  not vsync).

I am now using another well known open source screen capture software. Have recorded for 1 hour without a stutter. (*Note - disabling geforce experience including the nvidia services still caused freezes and using other screen capture softwares caused bigger freezes - this is why I did not suspect geforce experience before today, only a complete uninstall has worked).

Additional note - sometimes the big freezes caused my G25 wheel to "jump" but during the last hour of recording the wheel feels smooth making me wonder if it was causing subtle "jumps" (this could obviously just be a placebo)

The real test for me will be my next League race on Monday because this was when it happened the most.

I came to this conclusion by doing A LOT of testing and optimising my rig (see other posts involving stutter :D ) but today I was determined to solve what was causing it so I performed a series of tests and ran the game after each one.

I performed DPC latency tests which showed no issues.
    HPET on and off (bios and windows)
    I updated all other drivers
    I disabled every driver 1 by 1 except the essentials.
    Studied the event viewer errors (there was only a 3 dcom and 4 http resolve errors)
    I re-installed DirectX Jun2010 runtime.
    I Disabled all non-essential services 1 by 1.
    I disabled all non essential softwares 1 by 1.
    I cleared all steam cache and validated the game.
    I played with Nvidia inspector settings
    I changed all in game settings
    I tried Nvidia drivers 387.92, 388.00, 388.13

Only the uninstall worked and was noticeable almost instantly on track.

Disclaimer - I have been here before stating I believe my theories have fixed the stutter/freezes and when time has passed it comes back, so please as always if you know what you are doing give the above "fix" a go and please let the community know your results (if it worked or not).

Post edited by cheekymunkey78 on
    edited November 15
    Additional: today I discovered having Nivida Inspector open (performance monitor) is also causing freeze/stutter. Closing it during gameplay showed instant difference.  (Note: during my testing in comment above, Nvidia inspector was not open also this issues has gotten worse since drivers 388.00).  I am wondering if it is true for any graphics card performance monitor?
  • F1SupportF1Support Member, Codemasters Co-Driver
    Thank you @cheekymunkey78 that's excellent information. Hopefully that's useful to others too.
  • pijinpijin Member Petrol Head
    @F1Support can you please confirm if there will be at least one more patch addressing the majority of the known issues including this one? People are losing hope in your product, and that’s a very bad sign. 
    Windows 10 home 64bit, all updates installed

I also have always had shadowplay (geforce experience) cause issues with screen freeze and since Nvidia drivers 388.00 and the "fall" windows update it had been a nightmare even when not recording, freezing the game every few seconds (388.13 was no better), the overlay not starting and not being able to activate the overlay and audio "pops", so I decided to do something about it.

My fix was to uninstall all Nvidia drivers in safe mode using a 3rd party software called display driver uninstaller v17.0.7.9

I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers but not geforce experience. (Reinstalling gf exp. Fixed some of the issues but not the freezing)
    (Note: I am using Nvidia inspector to limit the FPS to 60 -  not vsync).

I am now using another well known open source screen capture software. Have recorded for 1 hour without a stutter. (*Note - disabling geforce experience including the nvidia services still caused freezes and using other screen capture softwares caused bigger freezes - this is why I did not suspect geforce experience before today, only a complete uninstall has worked).

Only the uninstall worked and was noticeable almost instantly on track.

I think our problems might be slightly different as I ONLY get stuttering when recording. I am going to try and use some more recording softwares but yeah, like I said, our problems seem to be slightly different.
    edited November 15
    Thank you for you comment @F1Support
    I am happy to help

Hi @RigorousTiger

Removing GeForce experience has solved three issues for me that I will try and explain to see if any match your issue.

(This one I think might match your issue)
    If by "major freeze" you mean the screen could pause for up to about a second anytime during a race and occurring anytime from doing it once to doing it every lap and only when recording (mostly online) without any FPS drop then yes uninstalling GF Exp. using the method in my comment has appeared to really solve this. (With it still installed I was still getting freezes whilst using other screen capture software - Online 50% races is where I noticed it the most.  As I said next Monday is the real test for me.)

The continual stutter and audio "pops" I mentioned has only happened since Drivers 388.00 - I try and avoid vsync and lock the FPS to 60 - removing GeForce Exp. eliminated the stutter and audio "pops" - (I have noticed that drivers 387.92 and setting the FPS for F1 2017 to 60 in Nvidia inspector gave a very stable 60fps and made it visually smooth however 388.00 and 388.13 the FPS jumps between 57 to 62 making the image "judder" - Setting the Global FPS setting in NVidia Inspector not the games FPS returns the game back to a stable 60FPS. - I might provide a separate thread for this one after I have also tested RivaTuna).

The Final Issue is it appears to have improved the Force Feedback and inputs in general - This one is a little tough to justify especially as FFB is subjective but from the offline career racing I did after removing GF. Exp. during turning the wheel the feedback wasn't as "notchy/bumpy" and "random spins/lockups" in the traction and breaking zones have not occurred due to the input response seeming to be more "Linear" and "Progressive".  I still have spins and lockups still but now I can feel what I did wrong. (I drive on elite settings and every now and again the car would seem to do something unexpected - I know this could happen and I am not the best driver but the difference has been quite staggering).

Hope this helps - If it is something different then sorry as I have not experienced it I am unable to help.

(This one I think might match your issue)
    If by "major freeze" you mean the screen could pause for up to about a second anytime during a race and occurring anytime from doing it once to doing it every lap and only when recording (mostly online) without any FPS drop then yes uninstalling GF Exp. using the method in my comment has appeared to really solve this. (With it still installed I was still getting freezes whilst using other screen capture software - Online 50% races is where I noticed it the most.  As I said next Monday is the real test for me.)

Thanks for the clarification. I will try this out on the weekend when I have some time to do some tests.
    edited November 16
    @F1Support
    @RigorousTiger
    @steviejay69

Further information through testing I can absolutely turn the issue on and off.

Any screen overlay I have tested so far has caused these freezes whilst recording.

By this I mean anything like a FPS counter (I have tried RivaTuner, FRAPS, Geforce Experience and I am wondering if Steam could cause this as well but mine has always been turned off - I will test). 

In addition it appears any "monitoring" software can also cause the issue, I have tried MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, Gigabyte Xtream and all had the same results.

I have also observed if you change mode - go from career to multiplayer this can also trigger it and only a reboot clears it but if you stay in one mode it seems fine - stay in multiplayer mode.

The thing is it only starts happening when something different "hits" the screen/camera - Rain drops (and I am wondering if debris too).  By different I mean if you start your game and only have a race in Heavy Rain it does not freeze but if you start a race in clear conditions and it starts to rain it freezes or going from light rain to heavy rain.

I have also observed that once it starts happening it will continue until you reboot the machine - closing the game does not clear it.

I have been able to turn this on and off several times.

It would explain why Geforce Experience (shadowplay) is causing it.  I am wondering if it would do it if the Geforce Onscreen displays were turned off (FPS, record icon, mic icon etc.)?

I tried two other screen recorders with the same results (if an overlay is present the game starts freezing with no loss of FPS)

Please try, I would love someone else to validate this theory.

Regards,
  • steviejay69steviejay69 Member Co-Driver
    I'm watching this with interest @cheekymunkey78, thanks for the testing. I'll wait until after your Monday league race before passing judgement or reinstalling.

I'm sorry I've not been keeping up with your posts, other influences have taken their toll.

One other overlay that is important to us at AOR is Discord. It is a relatively new product and is still in the 'constant beta' of development and feature addition. It is often problematic for me but seems OK with the current build of W10.

Like @RigorousTiger I too use GFE as it is the best in terms of obvious impact on FPS when recording. One thing I have noticed since using RTSS is that although I get 84FPS in game and I record at 60FPS in GFE, the recording actually shows 60 on the FPS indicator on the recording. This differs to when I used to use Steam FPS counter which GFE or OBS would record with whatever framerate was showing. Therefore RTSS is the better framecounter as it runs in each process.

Steam overlay has an effect on raw framerates but with the invite system it's impractical to not use it in MP.

I agree that as mentioned elsewhere, the first game played in any mode after a restart is least affected by stutter.
    You'll find me at apexonlineracing.com
    S14 F1 '17 F7 Car: Ferrari Team-mate: Partyfuchs
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|GTX970 4GB|Win10x64|Logitech G920 (GTEye Spring Mod)/G430 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

Latest Nvidia Drivers 388.31 I noticed one bug fix

"Micro-stuttering occurs in games when GPU monitoring tools are monitoring GPU power (“Power” monitoring enabled). [2016377] "

Might be the solution?
    I will install 388.31 after Monaco. Sounds like MS and Nvidia might finally be getting their **** together 
    PC: i7-4770|8GB|GTX970 4GB|Win10x64|Logitech G920 (GTEye Spring Mod)/G430 Headset|GTOmega Pro Rig

PC
    Windows 10 Home 64bit

I can now successfully turn the "pausing whilst recording" issue on and off and now understand what I can do to reduce/almost prevent it from happening (on my rig at least).

When does this occur:
    This occurs most when recording however without recording I have managed to make it happen only once, it used to happen without recording with patch 1.6 and before quite often.

It appears to occur sometime after condition changes and something "hits" the screen. (e.g. it starts to rain when it used to be clear or going from heavy to light rain) - It does not happen instantly however it is usually within 2 laps.  After it has happened once it will continue in many (not every time) situations until you REBOOT the Computer - (e.g. going round certain corners, you enter the car in fronts dirty air, Jeff speaks to you, etc.).  Just closing the game does not clear the issue.

What makes it happen:
    It can happen at anytime but is almost guaranteed with any of the following: 
    If you take focus away from the game (e.g. alt+tab). This includes: Alt+Tab out of the game, go back to the main menu of the game, use an overlay (Geforce Experience/FRAPS/RivaTuner On-Screen Display) (note: I have not tested with Steam overlay or Discord but I would assume these would be the same), Switching from mode to mode (i.e. going from Career to Multiplayer), Restarting a race and reloading a Mid-Save.

How I have managed to almost prevent it from happening:
    Important: Before I did the following I had to remove ALL sound drivers from my computer (disabling them did nothing).
    (note: I uninstalled Geforce Experience using DDU before any of this and have not reinstalled it)
    I have discovered if my USB headset (Sennheiser SC30 ML - cheap office freebie) is plugged in I can make the issue happen very easy if any of the above happens.

Unplugging the headset does not completely prevent it but to make it occur I really had to work at it:
    Jumping from mode to mode,
    Switching too and from the game several times (Alt+Tab)
    Tried several On-Screen overlays switched on.
    I finally managed to "break it" when I restarted the race then reloaded the Mid-Save a couple of times.
    All of the above I would never do in a normal session and once it happened a reboot was required to clear it.

I have concluded that if my headset is not plugged in the issue is still there but it is exaggerating the issue when it is. (*please note: There are many USB Devices/Drivers within a computer that can cause issues but the headset was mine, it could be something else for other people, every other item/software loaded of mine is essential to use the PC).

If removing the offending device for you is not an option please read the following:

How to Reduce it:
    I have successfully reduced it from happening with the headset plugged in by doing the following:

*do these once*
    Uninstall Geforce Experience using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) from Guru3D and install the latest drivers WITHOUT installing Geforce Experience.
    Turn off all Overlays.

*do these every-time you want to record*
    reboot of the system
    Open necessary software (e.g. Screen recorders, Steam, Wheel profiler, etc.)
    Run the game
    Go to your selected mode (multiplayer, etc.)
    Once in that mode do not take focus from the game or switch mode (even without recording if you plan to record later)

Hope this helps.

• FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    The technical term for this is "a bit of a faff"

Nice work guys. If codies had a few guys with your troubleshooting prowess and analytical thinking this stuff might get solved.
    You remember when you first came to my office? I asked you, "Do you want to be an eagle, or do you want to be a **** bird?" And you said "I want to be an eagle".
    You got to be what you say you're going to be, which you aren't.
    You got to do what you say you're going to do, which you haven't.
    Didn’t have a good experience with 388.31 myself still feels laggy with Vsync on. 

Not sure RTSS was working as without frame counter was unsure. I absolutely need GFE, Discord and Steam as I COD my league. 

Re creating what I had for now as I think the majority is first race mode after reboot and not ALT TABbing