Welcome to the brand new Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• JZStudiosJZStudios Member Team Principal
    carpa said:
    That DAKAR 18 game looks interesting...

[Looks at the wallet]

Damn.
    Where on Earth were all these promising games some years ago?

JZStudios said:
    Isn't the Dakar rally like.... REALLY bland open space? I've never watched other than pictures like their ad there, or going through Saharan sand dunes. Sounds like it could have some neat features, but I'm not 100% on either of these companies.
    It might just turn out like Fuel....
    Yep, some parts of the environment in which they race are large open fields with bushes and sand which could seem quite repetitive. Thing is, this is a fundamental part of the DAKAR because it means you can get lost. And if the map is big enough imagine how Kris Meeke'd you could get :D
    The only 2 big glaring issues with that is... 1. The real event I'm fairly certain uses full GPS navigation and an entire crew, and 2, this is a video game, meaning even as large as the map is... you shouldn't get that lost and it'll definitely have a map. But hey, here's hoping they require you to drive for 8 hours straight between saves.
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    edited November 20
    JZStudios said:
    So in lieu of any... anything... about DiRT or CM....
    I've been playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided which has a super nifty bug where if you have too much inventory (don't know what the limit is) entering/exiting a firing range will crash to desktop, the solution being to dump all your inventory on the ground.
    So, I thought my inventory WAS rather neat and tidy, looking like this....

But apparently that translates into this in reality. Which makes me really question video game inventories on single characters.

Yep, I'll just shove that in my pockets, it'll be fine.

Edit* apparently that's 197 items I had shoved in my robo pockets somewheres, with 20 of those being alcohol. I don't know what it is with that game, but I swear theres like 500 bottles of alcohol around.
    Pretty sure my fallout 4 character is dragging half of Costco behind him on our quests
    Mine sure does :D First of all, I have done some console edits that I can carry 5000 weight (don't judge, I'm not a big fan of weight management in games) and I had most of it filled.
    So I had this bug where the pipboy disapeared, you couldn't even look at your inventory (I'm pretty sure it was caused by opening the looksmenu while being in a power armor, so don't try that), so to get the pipboy back, you have to remove it from your inventory via console and equip it afterwards, but to do that, you need to know its ID.
    There's a command that lists all the things you have, in the order you got them, with the oldest being at the top, but I had so much stuff on me that the command couldn't show all of it and with pipboy being pretty much the first item you get in the game, that was a bit of a problem. So my solution was to dump everything on the ground to make the list smaller. This tiny little pile is nothing compared to the mountain I had :D
    Post edited by Didzis on
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | MSI HD7870 OC | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT

DiRT2 | DiRT3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | GRID | GRID2 | GRID Autosport
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    I am yet to play Mankind Divided, really should pick it up as I have enjoyed all the previous entries in the Deus Ex series. The first game was absolutely mind-blowing back in the day!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

tbtstt said:
    I am yet to play Mankind Divided, really should pick it up as I have enjoyed all the previous entries in the Deus Ex series. The first game was absolutely mind-blowing back in the day!
    I got the entire series as a bundle for $10-15 as I recall... and while I actually liked the freedom of options and level design n such in the first.... holy crap is it janky as hell now. The default buttons make basically zero sense. The default walking bindings I'm pretty sure was the arrow keys, with lean being something like z and x... not the smoothest game. I went about halfway through the game then gave up. Skipped the second one.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution I actually highly recommend, and apparently the terrible boss fights are easier now I guess... It just kind of sucks that those are THE lowest points.
    Mankind Divided.... I'm not sure about. So far I've spent about 20 hours in the largeish open world without entering any main missions, it's super densely packed. Based on reviews however, the main city hub is most of the game, with only 3 or 4 other missions, and apparently a really bad ending. It's definitely got better visuals than HR, but it's certainly not very well optimized with 1080's struggling to run it at max.
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    This is off-topic (I mean off the topic of Deus Ex), but I was doing a little research and am I understanding this right: an anti-smoking-sponsored rally allowed a tobacco-sponsored livery? Seems especially weird since they couldn't have the 555 on the car four months later at Network Q RAC.

• carpacarpa Member Race Steward
    dwkGravey said:
    This is off-topic (I mean off the topic of Deus Ex), but I was doing a little research and am I understanding this right: an anti-smoking-sponsored rally allowed a tobacco-sponsored livery? Seems especially weird since they couldn't have the 555 on the car four months later at Network Q RAC.

This has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever seen :D
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
    Not being... British? I never had any idea that 555 is apparently a brand of cigarettes? It always confused me seeing the fake livery or the ( without the numbers.
  • F2CMaDMaXXF2CMaDMaXX Member Team Principal
    Heh, doesn't matter about nationality, i didn't know it was tobacco until i saw they had to 'censor' it.
  • adsadsadsadsadsads Member Unleaded
    Re: Mankind Divided, I enjoyed it overall. It's a smaller scale story than Human Revolution so less travelling the world and you basically just stop one plot. I think the smaller scale of what you achieve, a bit of sequel bait at the end, and Prague being the only hub area left it feeling unfinished to a lot of people. I really enjoyed it though, Prague shits on all of the HR hubs combined and the story is good. Also has two of the best sidequests in any game ever. 
    JZStudios said:
    Not being... British? I never had any idea that 555 is apparently a brand of cigarettes? It always confused me seeing the fake livery or the ( without the numbers.
    I believe it's origin was in the UK, but it's big in the Far East now. There were also references to the cigarettes in the number plates for the Group A cars:

The use of "555" is obvious, but "BAT" is British American Tobacco, who own the 555 brand.

Back to Deus Ex and I really enjoyed HR. The boss fights did seem a bit out of place, but they didn't ruin the game for me. I haven't touched the original game for years and, given that I have fond memories of it, perhaps I should leave it that way!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

Forgive the double post, but it looks like Ken Block is finally going to make use of his RS200:

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

tbtstt said:
    JZStudios said:
    Back to Deus Ex and I really enjoyed HR. The boss fights did seem a bit out of place, but they didn't ruin the game for me. I haven't touched the original game for years and, given that I have fond memories of it, perhaps I should leave it that way!
    My biggest gripes were just the fact that I couldn't figure out why smacking people in the back with a baton would only sometimes knock them out, combined with having to sit completely still for 5-15 seconds before you can shoot any gun with any amount of precision other than the radius of 5-15 feet. I've since seen a video stating that you should smack enemies in the lower back and NOT their head... which makes little sense to me. I still leaves me confused as well, considering most of my time was crouching....

There's a whole bunch of mods for it, including a texture overhaul that actually does help, but for a game that old, poor graphics are expected. The funky controls you could rebind and get used to, but HR and MD really improved it. I'd really love to see a total remake of the game with updated graphics and smoother controls. I'd say overall, if it was redone it would actually play a lot like HR, but without the bad boss fights.
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    edited November 21
    tbtstt said:
    Forgive the double post, but it looks like Ken Block is finally going to make use of his RS200:

Where is this from???? 

(Edit) found it, Mr Block is gaining quite the Ford Historic Rally collection these days.   Only hope to see these on the US stages next year.   

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Pit Crew
    I can't wait for Gymkhana 10! Its going to be epic!
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
    DiRT 4 Club: https://www.dirt4game.com/clubs/club/60578/team-colin-mcrae
    Bit of a boring video, but here is Ken showing off his latest toy:

I hope there is another video to come where he is giving it a good thrashing! Interestingly (or not, depending on how much of a rally nerd you are), it was believed that Block had purchased chassis #80 a couple of years ago, but this video claims it is #34. Not sure if there is an error somewhere or if more cars have changed hands in that time. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• Janneman60Janneman60 Member Unleaded
    #80 seems to be in Norway, #34 is/was in France
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    edited November 21
    Now that I am home, I thought the first pic was the livery he picked, which I am always a fan of KB's style.  Anyhow I see its sadly a reflection.  However, you can almost never go wrong with black (unless your Anikin Skywalker).  

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Pit Crew
    gfRally said:
    Now that I am home, I thought the first pic was the livery he picked, which I am always a fan of KB's style.  Anyhow I see its sadly a reflection.  However, you can almost never go wrong with black (unless your Anikin Skywalker).  
    Ya, I'm a huge fan of how Block designs his cars. Everything he enters he always turns up with one of the coolest cars.
    I love racing. Going for the perfectly clean, well executed overtake is the best feeling. If I have to though, I might move you out of my way (no hard feelings).
    DiRT 4 Club: https://www.dirt4game.com/clubs/club/60578/team-colin-mcrae