Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

WRC 2019 Thread

1123124126128129144

Comments

  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    I dunno about Meeke being in a rut.  He still placed above someone as talented as Loeb.  Both of them suffered unintentional time loss, sometimes its costly, sometimes it isn’t.  

    Ogier though, he’s a different type of driver.  He drives with his head.  Keeps safely within reach & then capitalises on the inevitable mistakes of the other drivers.  He’s tactical & clever
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    KevM said:
    I dunno about Meeke being in a rut.  He still placed above someone as talented as Loeb.  Both of them suffered unintentional time loss, sometimes its costly, sometimes it isn’t.  

    Ogier though, he’s a different type of driver.  He drives with his head.  Keeps safely within reach & then capitalises on the inevitable mistakes of the other drivers.  He’s tactical & clever
    Meeke will continue to win rallies, but I don’t think he is a championship winner. Most drivers are quick enough to win rallies, but Ogier and maybe Neuville are the only ones smart and consistent enough to win the championship. Look at previous seasons, we’ve had loads of different rally winners, but Ogier has still won the title by being smart and taking whatever points he can get. However, I do feel this year is thierry’s, but it will definitely be close!
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Meeke overdrives to keep up.  He’s fast buts he’s always at 11 tenths.  Ogier is in his opponents heads and can control a Rally.  He can lead from the front, or pressure from behind 
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    It's going to be interesting to see how the season pans out. Mexico was a show of force from Ogier, while Thierry gave way to frustration and anger instead of the hard determination he's shown the last year.  For the good of the championship I really hope someone in the rest of the pack behind wins in Corsica and make it more of a three horse race than just Ogier and Thierry. They're starting to get a gap now. We have 4-5 drivers of whom someone ought to step up as a title challenger in Corsica and Argentina. I'd guess Tänak will push hard to catch up now, he sure has the speed for it and most probably also the consistency for it. 
    Mikkelsen still struggles with finding that real speed in the car, Meeke is hardly consistent, Latvala seems to be in a slump, and Lappi is just a bit too inexperienced yet. So Ott is the most probable of the chasing pack imho.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.


  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    Loeb might push them, but I feel all he will be doing is taking points away from championship contenders like Ott, Meeke and Andreas. We’ve still got a LONG way to go in the championship remember, so much can happen. It can only take one puncture to completely change a season
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    KevM said:
    Meeke overdrives to keep up.  He’s fast buts he’s always at 11 tenths.  Ogier is in his opponents heads and can control a Rally.  He can lead from the front, or pressure from behind 
    Meeke does overdrive a lot. That mistake could have put him way further down the order. Neuville is one of the most consistent but he does get angry too fast. Your goal should be to win rally's but you need to think of the championship and that is what some forget I guess. I will be cool to see Seb and Seb go head to head again in France.
  • ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    Seems to me either Ogier has gotten fully to grips with the Fiesta or they have really upped it's speed on gravel. I have a feeling we might see a bit more of a dominant Ogier again this year.
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    I don't think Ogier should have got that penalty. 10 Seconds is kind of overkill if you ask me.
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    Scyy said:
    Seems to me either Ogier has gotten fully to grips with the Fiesta or they have really upped it's speed on gravel. I have a feeling we might see a bit more of a dominant Ogier again this year.
    Read somewhere that they'd done a lot of work to get the Fiesta faster in gravel, since Ogier felt he couldn't keep pace last year.
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.


  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    Scyy said:
    Seems to me either Ogier has gotten fully to grips with the Fiesta or they have really upped it's speed on gravel. I have a feeling we might see a bit more of a dominant Ogier again this year.
    Oh god, I hope not. I'm so tired of this french Sebastien domination that plagued the WRC for the past 15 years. What annoys me even further is that the field behind Ogier is actually quite matched. 
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    Its really no ones fault for this domination. All the teams have built really good cars. Seb is just one of the best drivers. What is funny if you look in different motorsports you will most likely find a Seb. F1, Indycar, WRC, and they are all champions. It comes with the name I guess. :D
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I know. I just really don't like domination in any sport really. 




    Well except for the winter Olympics of course but that's mostly for patriotic reasons
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • juu1iusjuu1ius Member Race Steward
    It was far from domination by Ogier - Toyotas were strugeling with starting positions and overheating engine, Neuville was cleaning the road whole weekend and Meek was Meek. And that 10s penalt was more then deserved. Cutting corners is gray erea, BUT if it's done deliberately you may get punished. Before PS stage Ogier asked from auxiliary judge what would happen if he cuts the chicane and he was told that marshal will be involved. He gambled for it and got the penalty - i don't get what the issue is, he lost PS points, not his 1st place. He already created one precedent last rally...

  • ScyyScyy Member Co-Driver
    juu1ius said:
    It was far from domination by Ogier - Toyotas were strugeling with starting positions and overheating engine, Neuville was cleaning the road whole weekend and Meek was Meek. And that 10s penalt was more then deserved. Cutting corners is gray erea, BUT if it's done deliberately you may get punished. Before PS stage Ogier asked from auxiliary judge what would happen if he cuts the chicane and he was told that marshal will be involved. He gambled for it and got the penalty - i don't get what the issue is, he lost PS points, not his 1st place. He already created one precedent last rally...

      I'm not saying Ogier completely dominated Mexico but compared to last year where he could barely win a stage time on gravel there is a marked improvement in speed.
    The Hypno Toad on Leaderboards
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    We could see the return of the Safari Rally in 2020!

    http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march-2018/safari-start/page/5302--12-12-.html

  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    We could see the return of the Safari Rally in 2020!

    http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/march-2018/safari-start/page/5302--12-12-.html

    I read somewhere that FIA and WRC Inspectors will be present at this year's Safari Rally to check if it has necessary requirements. It wouldn't be the Safari adventure you might remember (I don't - I was born one year before the last WRC edition :(), but I'd still love to see it back in the Championship
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • DiRTKiNG808DiRTKiNG808 Member Race Steward
    Same here. I wasn't old enough to notice the Safari Rally but I have seen awesome videos and heard some of the amazing things about the legendary Safari rally. Sure it will not be the same, but I still look forward to the return of Africa to the WRC calendar.
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    edited March 19
    No yellow house jump at Rally Finland this year. Just in case you thought the chicanes last year were bad enough.

    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134907/finland-revamp-removes-famous-stage

    In Dirt Rally terms, they'll be using Kakaristo, but not Kontinjärvi.




  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    dwkGravey said:
    No yellow house jump at Rally Finland this year. Just in case you thought the chicanes last year were bad enough.

    https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/134907/finland-revamp-removes-famous-stage

    In Dirt Rally terms, they'll be using Kakaristo, but not Kontinjärvi.




    I don't think this is right for the organisers. I mean they had more than enough trouble keeping the average speeds in the limits with the old cars. With WRCplus it was almost obvious they would have exceeded the limits. It's in the rally's DNA to feature fast and flowing stages and the governing body should accept it.
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • DytutDytut Member Champion
    The whole average speed limit is silly to begin with. I can understand that they want to limit high speeds since high speed crashes are the most dangerous which is bad publicity, but with the tools we have today to measure speeds it'd be a better measure to limit the amount of time they're at dangerous speeds. For example limit a stage to having maximum 15 seconds in continous speed above 170km/h or something similar. 
    Arete or 43. M. Andersson on steam/leaderboards.


Sign In or Register to comment.