Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    some great gossip i dont care what you call it ! just make it a great rally game ! :)
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    We need Dirt Rally 2 with "drivable" classics and not on rail WRC stuff only.License this license that ,i want a great sequel with real feel stages .
    And same great sounds .WRC7 was and is garbage, undrivable mess.
    well if codies got the license then it will be wrc stuff. which is fine if done well. if we get dirt rally 2.0 next and its dirt rally good then thats fine too.

wrc 7 is not garbage  ! any saying that either hasnt put in any effort to play it properly or got it set up right. its a great game. its not as good as dirt rally but its a great game.thats coming from a codie fan. you can like other games. wrc 7 has some very good even better than dirt rally certain game aspects just the final product isnt as good over all.

if we codies do wrc whatever its called next or dirt rally 2.0 they both great options ! id be happy with either.the only thing id not like is to use the dirt 4 my stage system. id personally want REAL STAGES. realistically done. leave my stage until the future when it can be done with no repetition which isnt now or soon.
  • boganibogani Member Champion
    WRC7 was much better than earlier games but still wasn't more than OK in my opinion. It had it's traits but still too many flaws to really make me enjoy it fully.

Some of the stage design was excellent though, a part from Sweden and Finland.

"I had the biggest moose problem in my whole life I think"

"Was it on the side of the road?"

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    If we did get a wrc game from codemasters, I’m torn between whether I’d want replicas of real stages or an improved your stage system. I think the best thing about your stage is you could actually have a proper rally of up to 22 stages like real wrc, rather than just running 1 or 2 stages per event cut up and reversed
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    WRC 7 rubbished the 3 or 4 short stages per location theory.  Some of the longer ‘Epic’ stages for each location were fantastic.   They also had real-life areas stitched into the stages that you could clearly recognise from actual tv footage.

Someone mentioned older drivable cars instead of the ‘on rails’ WRC cars.  Have you watched a WRC round?  The car movement is phenomenal with 4 wheel mental powerslides everywhere.  I’d like that...
  • Jack4688Jack4688 Member Unleaded
    It’d be nice if we could get DR2 instead of a WRC game - with some interesting non-WRC locations and maybe more of the group A curios, F2 kit cars and 97-on WRCs - but will a licensed WRC game act as a cash generator for codemasters? Otherwise they’d be making DR type games all the time to satisfy a probably small market
  • Janneman60Janneman60 Member Unleaded
    I would prefer a proper dirt rally 2. A wrc title means to much arcade and fancy menus. Like dirt 4. If you want a sim and put 1000 hours in the game you want fast and simple menu structure.
    KevM said:
    WRC 7 rubbished the 3 or 4 short stages per location theory.  Some of the longer ‘Epic’ stages for each location were fantastic.   They also had real-life areas stitched into the stages that you could clearly recognise from actual tv footage.

Someone mentioned older drivable cars instead of the ‘on rails’ WRC cars.  Have you watched a WRC round?  The car movement is phenomenal with 4 wheel mental powerslides everywhere.  I’d like that...
    How many stagesper location does WRC7 have? It still has the problem of trying to make an entire rally out of a limited number of stages. I found that a bit boring on DR when you run a stage, then 5 minutes later you run a longer version of the same stage, then you run it again but backwards
    whatever game you make you want a simple menu structure . dirt 4s was pretty dire to do what you want but most car games are for some reason. many games dont make everything as simple as possible when its very important part of playing. the easier it is to use when you playing long periods the more likely you are going to play long periods ! especially if you need to use it often.

dirt rally was probably the easiest of the last few years to just get in and play. there were still some things which could be done better and easier. which would help gameplay. set ups being changed on the fly would be nice without having to restart round or game. spending hrs getting them right but having to restart the event over and over to apply was stupid.is stupid.

also better cam replays and positioning would be a dream. i can honestly say i pestered some of the devs for probably 10 years about this ! free cam please !

KevM said:

Yeah, but didn't WRC7 consist of 1 short super special and then 3/4 short stages and those ones stitched together also made up the so called Epic stage? Still not convinced.

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

RallyDriven said:
    If we did get a wrc game from codemasters, I’m torn between whether I’d want replicas of real stages or an improved your stage system. I think the best thing about your stage is you could actually have a proper rally of up to 22 stages like real wrc, rather than just running 1 or 2 stages per event cut up and reversed

Replicas would be ace, but as you say, they can't create many of them.

Your Stage would have to improve alot. If I were to do a 22 stage event in Wales as is in Dirt4 I would probably hang myself. 22 "unique" stages that all felt strangely like the exact same stage over and over and over :(

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    edited March 16
    bogani said:

Yeah, but didn't WRC7 consist of 1 short super special and then 3/4 short stages and those ones stitched together also made up the so called Epic stage? Still not convinced.

True, but at least most of the Epic Stages are reversed. Each rally has four stages: or one SSS, two SS and an ES, or three SS and an ES. In most cases the ES is the two or three SSs stiched together and run in reverse. Sweden, Finland and Wales are the only ES that are actually total repeats of the short SSs (who knows why they didn't reverse them). WRC7 has a total of 409,03km. If you take into account only the original SSs and the reversed ESs (i.e. excluding any repeated sections) then that "original, unrepeated" total goes down to 345,88km. That's quite a bit more than DR's 279,45km but far shy of SLRE's 495,6km. WRC6 had 404,8km and none of them were repeated or reversed.
    its not about how many there is its about how good each stage is !

id rather have 6 great stages then 30 bad ones !
  • Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    IDK if you ever played sims and Dirt rally ,how you could possibly put WRC7 on your list .Its utter shiiiiiiiit and no refErence to car handling .
    Do some experiments and see.Also Hoover was commissioned to provide sound data ,  and honestly that tells the story of how much authenticity they care about.
    bogani said:

True, but at least most of the Epic Stages are reversed. Each rally has four stages: or one SSS, two SS and an ES, or three SS and an ES. In most cases the ES is the two or three SSs stiched together and run in reverse. Sweden, Finland and Wales are the only ES that are actually total repeats of the short SSs (who knows why they didn't reverse them). WRC7 has a total of 409,03km. If you take into account only the original SSs and the reversed ESs (i.e. excluding any repeated sections) then that "original, unrepeated" total goes down to 345,88km. That's quite a bit more than DR's 279,45km but far shy of SLRE's 495,6km. WRC6 had 404,8km and none of them were repeated or reversed.
    That’s quite interesting. Both DR and SLRE has Rally cross and pikes peak too.

Whether it’s a wrc game or another dirt game, it will be interesting to see if codemasters do your stage or go back to pre made stages. I seem to be in the few here that liked your stage, although I do agree that it needs improvement. The worst thing about it for me is often trying to find a flow or rhythm through places like wales and aus. 
    If they got hands on the WRC license, what if they somehow could utilize the data from the rather impressive Virtual Spectator WRC broadcasters used a few years back?

"Huh?"

"The moose"

"The mousse in the tire"

• LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Pit Crew
    dgeesi0 said:

Exactly. SLRE has 64 excellent stages. WRC7 has 52 excellent stages. DR has 24 excellent stages. D4 has infinite boring stages.

This is the big problem of rally games. It takes lots of dev time to procure a rally stage. And the fact that resources are limited means you will always end up with a hotlap simulator instead of a rally simulator given the fact that the most competitive drivers will memorize the stages.

This is why it is essential that changing road conditions be implemented that cause changes in grip levels, so that no two runs on the same stage are identical. That way you reduce a lot of the hotlapping mentality. If that left 3 that everyone knows they can take at 90km/hr in 3rd gear had some uncertainty causing drivers to treat it as a slightly different turn each run, then we would have some good essence of rally which is feeling, interpreting and exploiting constantly changing grip levels.

I think Your Stage is a great idea, but it needs at a minimum 10x more tiles.

As far as real-world stages are concerned, Milestone was using some Unreal Engine 4 functionality in Gravel where they click on a satellite image and the terrain is instantly modeled in the game engine. The artists go in and add stuff and clean it up. This method, while probably not 100% accurate, could probably greatly speed up stage creation dev time. You click on the road, import it to the engine, go in and add trees and towns or whatever, add the pace notes, and there you go. A new stage. Bigmoon / Deep Silver is also doing this with Dakar 18.

Lots of people have suggested a combination of Your Stage and real stages. I think this is a good tradeoff. Four long (~10-15km), original, authentic stages complemented by an expanded Your Stage 2.0 would be a good tradeoff. And if the "click on map and play" functionality I alluded to above is as easy as it looks, that could be a great way to expand content either through free DLC or future iterations of the game.
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Race Steward
    IDK if you ever played sims and Dirt rally ,how you could possibly put WRC7 on your list .Its utter shiiiiiiiit and no refErence to car handling .
    Do some experiments and see.Also Hoover was commissioned to provide sound data ,  and honestly that tells the story of how much authenticity they care about.
    140% agree mate, can't understand how people think WRC7 has good physics and sounds, it is just unplayable
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Race Steward
    dgeesi0 said:

Exactly. SLRE has 64 excellent stages. WRC7 has 52 excellent stages. DR has 24 excellent stages. D4 has infinite boring stages.

This is the big problem of rally games. It takes lots of dev time to procure a rally stage. And the fact that resources are limited means you will always end up with a hotlap simulator instead of a rally simulator given the fact that the most competitive drivers will memorize the stages.

This is why it is essential that changing road conditions be implemented that cause changes in grip levels, so that no two runs on the same stage are identical. That way you reduce a lot of the hotlapping mentality. If that left 3 that everyone knows they can take at 90km/hr in 3rd gear had some uncertainty causing drivers to treat it as a slightly different turn each run, then we would have some good essence of rally which is feeling, interpreting and exploiting constantly changing grip levels.

I think Your Stage is a great idea, but it needs at a minimum 10x more tiles.

As far as real-world stages are concerned, Milestone was using some Unreal Engine 4 functionality in Gravel where they click on a satellite image and the terrain is instantly modeled in the game engine. The artists go in and add stuff and clean it up. This method, while probably not 100% accurate, could probably greatly speed up stage creation dev time. You click on the road, import it to the engine, go in and add trees and towns or whatever, add the pace notes, and there you go. A new stage. Bigmoon / Deep Silver is also doing this with Dakar 18.

Lots of people have suggested a combination of Your Stage and real stages. I think this is a good tradeoff. Four long (~10-15km), original, authentic stages complemented by an expanded Your Stage 2.0 would be a good tradeoff. And if the "click on map and play" functionality I alluded to above is as easy as it looks, that could be a great way to expand content either through free DLC or future iterations of the game.
    Not that easy, but that is how procedural stages for assetto Corsa are made, but the quality is **** compared to any other rally game.
    You need a lot lot of tweaking to the stages generated that way to make them look nice.
    WRC7 stages doesn't look similar to real stages, at least Rally Argentina, Los Gigantes in real life you actually cross a mountain and you just see rocks everywhere, Parque tematico the layout is the same but 3x wider, with unexistant water splashes, and the other short stages are rubbish also