Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• dirt3joedirt3joe Member Petrol Head
    tbtstt said:
    I too don't think there's enough audience for a WRX game. I did the numbers, a while back, and WRX doesn't pull anywhere near as many viewers as the WRC. 
    I think that is a rather restricted view of the subject, I would think any comparison would have to look at a wider interest in rallycross versus rally: both disciplines are more than just a World Championship and, globally, rally surely has the biggest following.

That said, the percentage of rallycross viewers who regularly play games might be a very different statistic given the audience that rallycross - specifically World Rallycross - seem to be targeting. 
    If you have a larger pool of fans, it seems logical that the percentage of those who are gamers will also be larger. True, there's more to rally and rallycross than their respective world championships, but those major championships are the ones most likely to be followed, so I think it's fair to use them as a metric for how much attention the sport gathers. If you're going to analyze how many people watch open-wheel, you're not going to use Formula 3 as your basis, are you?

dirt3joe said:
    Something definitily feels up. F1 announcement much shorter than usual, no videos etc.

I notice PCars are releasing a mobile PCars game, which seems a bit weird seeing as it is sim orientated. Still haven't heard anything from them re the fast and the furious.
    Can you tell me where you see this mobile game? I'm just curious. I've seen apps for PCARS 2, but not a game.

Something is definitely cooking and, as a fan of things, rally related, that Codemasters does, I can't wait to find out what's in store.
    Eurogamer.

F1 was not announced on Eurogamer either (usually is). Pretty low-key.
  • stephensmattleestephensmattlee Member Race Steward
    edited May 16
    Here’s a thought, if Codemasters really are working on WRC 2018 and are now the official licence holders, ...do you think they’ll go for the more ‘sim-cade’ handling style of recent F1 games? or do you think they’ll go for the more ‘simulation’ focussed handling of DiRT Rally given its reception when compared to DiRT 4?

Personally I really think that if they do have the official licence then they will want to do similarly to what they’ve done with the F1 games any try to maximise the sales and appeal of the games to newcomers, meaning they’ll probably go for a more ‘sim-cade’ and approachable handling style. 
    I also think that if they were to return to the more ‘simulation’ focussed approach then they could use the ‘DiRT Rally’ name as a spin off series for the more hardcore players, ie DiRT Rally 2, 3 etc
  • KevMKevM Member Champion
    Accro2008 said:
    DiRTy gossip thread right now :

Tell me if i forgot anything.  :#
    Class! Even the long lost Craicbear makes an appearance!! lol
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    dirt3joe said:
    tbtstt said:
    I too don't think there's enough audience for a WRX game. I did the numbers, a while back, and WRX doesn't pull anywhere near as many viewers as the WRC. 
    I think that is a rather restricted view of the subject, I would think any comparison would have to look at a wider interest in rallycross versus rally: both disciplines are more than just a World Championship and, globally, rally surely has the biggest following.

That said, the percentage of rallycross viewers who regularly play games might be a very different statistic given the audience that rallycross - specifically World Rallycross - seem to be targeting. 
    If you have a larger pool of fans, it seems logical that the percentage of those who are gamers will also be larger. True, there's more to rally and rallycross than their respective world championships, but those major championships are the ones most likely to be followed, so I think it's fair to use them as a metric for how much attention the sport gathers. If you're going to analyze how many people watch open-wheel, you're not going to use Formula 3 as your basis, are you?

dirt3joe said:
    Something definitily feels up. F1 announcement much shorter than usual, no videos etc.

I notice PCars are releasing a mobile PCars game, which seems a bit weird seeing as it is sim orientated. Still haven't heard anything from them re the fast and the furious.
    Can you tell me where you see this mobile game? I'm just curious. I've seen apps for PCARS 2, but not a game.

Something is definitely cooking and, as a fan of things, rally related, that Codemasters does, I can't wait to find out what's in store.
    Eurogamer.

Thanks. Just found it. But PCARS GO as the name? Seriously?

Here’s a thought, if Codemasters really are working on WRC 2018 and are now the official licence holders, ...do you think they’ll go for the more ‘sim-cade’ handling style of recent F1 games? or do you think they’ll go for the more ‘simulation’ focussed handling of DiRT Rally given its reception when compared to DiRT 4? 
    More simulation I'd say. Kylotton's games were getting more hardcore and got more positive reviews as they went on.
  • Accro2008Accro2008 Member Pit Crew
    edited May 16
    stephensmattlee said:
    Hahaha that is awesome! Bet Codemasters are sitting back reading all this and laughing to themselves saying “if only they knew” ;)
    warpengage said:
    This is GOLD! Great job!
    KevM said:
    Class! Even the long lost Craicbear makes an appearance!! lol

Thank you guys !
    dirt3joe said:
    tbtstt said:

dirt3joe said:

Eurogamer.

Thanks. Just found it. But PCARS GO as the name? Seriously?

More simulation I'd say. Kylotton's games were getting more hardcore and got more positive reviews as they went on.

Very interesting, personally I hope they do too, but I guess sales figures will probably mean more to Codemasters and the big suits in charge (FIA?) than critics reviews which could influence the future direction of the games
  • CMMcBabeCMMcBabe Member, Codemasters Petrol Head
    Accro2008 said:

Where is the kebab pizza?
  • AreyoubenAreyouben Member Race Engineer
    Kebab pizza was cut out for DLC.        
  • tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    tbtstt said:

Rally has a much larger pool of fans, but I wonder if the social media-centric approach of the World Rallycross Championship is attracting more younger (i.e. game playing) fans. Given that very few of the CMR/DiRT games have included licensed WRC content I wonder how relevant interest in that rally Championship alone is when assessing the potential audience for a new title.
    Accro2008 said:

HA! This is spot on! (Though maybe needs a cake or random bit of food beside the Tunnocks logo to account for the random food reviews by @ChristinaMc).

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head

Personally I really think that if they do have the official licence then they will want to do similarly to what they’ve done with the F1 games any try to maximise the sales and appeal of the games to newcomers, meaning they’ll probably go for a more ‘sim-cade’ and approachable handling style. 
    I also think that if they were to return to the more ‘simulation’ focussed approach then they could use the ‘DiRT Rally’ name as a spin off series for the more hardcore players, ie DiRT Rally 2, 3 etc
    You can have like in D4 two different physics, just leave arcade physics like they were in DiRT4 and tweak Sim physics a bit (R5's and R2's are good in my opinion)

• mats27mats27 Member New Car Smell
    Accro2008 said:

Great work!
    Game Designer at Codemasters
    Twitter 

You can have like in D4 two different physics, just leave arcade physics like they were in DiRT4 and tweak Sim physics a bit (R5's and R2's are good in my opinion)

This would easily be the best way Codemasters could go, not just with the DiRT games but also their F1 games too. 
    Seems like all of their games have two types of fans; the “casual” player that’s after a fun and enjoyable experience using nothing more than a gamepad controller, ...and also the more “hardcore” fan that longs for as realistic an experience as possible using a wheel and pedal set up.  

I’m no expert in game coding but would it be even possible to have vastly different handling models in the one game? Or does there have to be a middleground where they have to focus more on one or the other?

• Madhun1967Madhun1967 Member Pit Crew
    just have the abolity to turn on aids would be best way to satisfy everyone , just like in all sims  nowadays

just have the abolity to turn on aids would be best way to satisfy everyone , just like in all sims  nowadays

True, but isn’t that what Codemasters have been doing for nearly 8 years of F1 games? And yet they still people criticising the handling as ‘sim-cade’? Must admit though that when with no traction control, abs or any kind of braking or cornering assists the games are still quite easy even with a controller. 
    I’m curious to know if players of DiRT Rally that use just a controller prefferred the handling model of DiRT Rally or DiRT 4?
  • FedemaisonnaveFedemaisonnave Member, Drivers Petrol Head
    Raceroom leaderboards show in which mode have you setted the laptime, which I think it is cool, Sim handling should be locked to use no aids just pure feeling, and arcade apart from an easier handling you can turn on the aids so everyone can play the game and think they drive like ogier lol
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer

I don't believe you. Not. One. Bit. Expecially after this.

All eyes on Rally Portugal.
    See, DiRTy Gossip, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

"I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • LudwigVonMisesLudwigVonMises Member Co-Driver
    Does anyone know how to trace the IP from which a Tweet was Tweeted? It would be interesting to know who Tweets in name of the WRCTheGame account. 
  • SkiddyMcCrashSkiddyMcCrash Member Champion
    I’m curious to know if players of DiRT Rally that use just a controller prefferred the handling model of DiRT Rally or DiRT 4?
    DiRT Rally                                                                                                                    
    AMD [email protected]/EVGA GTX 1060 FTW/16gb RAM/OS - Win 10/Turtle Beach X11/360pad                                 View - Front Bumper Cam/No Assists

• warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    edited May 16
    carpa said:

This is because the E-Sports championship round is run at the same time. I don't think this is related to anything else.

EDIT: By the way, poor Quentin Gilbert. His crash is on most Portugal rally adverts I see. The man's fail is immortalized.
    Post edited by warpengage on