Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Launch Date Announced but no Beta Yet - I am Worried

So it looks like F1 2018 has been announced for August 24th and there is still not a beta.

Out of curiosity how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?  It seems like that will be very unrealistic time frame..

All I know is that there better be a team dedicated to making the Safety Car work online, that is for sure.  I will happily volunteer to help If I get a beta code :)

Comments

• ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    NickDahy said:
    Out of curiosity how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?
    Ah, you see, that's their secret! They never fix bugs.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • BirkhoffBirkhoff Member New Car Smell
    Also this year I will take it after at least 3 months, seeing and considering that every time there are bugs that make it impossible to play ..... a game that comes out in 3 months and yet there are no beta .... really great. .. Considering that F1 2017 has become playable after about 4 months .... well
    Xbox One S. Ferrari and Lakers fan . Also Naples, Ravens and Man Utd . Computer Engineer 
  • tarrantinotarrantino Member Co-Driver
    Yes history is repeating itself as many have predicted 
  • senna94f1senna94f1 Member New Car Smell
    Yeah I am abit confused to beta as now we have release date ,

seems too too me that beta is already underway and only a few have been involved ,

thats is what ived said , it would be nice instead of planning around testing they could let people know beta is actually under way , the timeline seems too tight for beta testing and offical release , 
  • NickDahyNickDahy Member Pit Crew
    edited May 15
    Hopefully when they announce more news, we can get some confirmation from the development team or R&D team here on the forum about maybe what has been fixed and even maybe a little insight on why it was so hard to get certain things fixed in the last game. 

I think a little transparency would at least help them out.  It will be hard to buy in confidence without knowing that online could be completely broken, or that the engine upgrades do not work in career mode.  At least the ended up fixing the later issue. 

2017 was very positive in a lot of areas, I just hope they spend more time to make things work well and be more polished instead of trying to add too many new features and never getting them working as designed.
  • silentninja939silentninja939 Member New Car Smell
    NickDahy said:
    So it looks like F1 2018 has been announced for August 24th and there is still not a beta.

Out of curiosity how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?  It seems like that will be very unrealistic time frame..

All I know is that there better be a team dedicated to making the Safety Car work online, that is for sure.  I will happily volunteer to help If I get a beta code :)

Last year the beta opened on May 23 and the game was announced May 17. It’s the same as last year, no need for concern.
  • ChromaticChromatic Member, Drivers Co-Driver
    edited May 15
    Kairronen said:
    You have to relax dude. I'm sure they have testers in their own team.
    I'm sure they do have testers. The ones where you hit in the arm 10 months later they say OW

How many different racing lines will you take 

Originally Withyman on the old forum's 

My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TBCFormulae 

Manor may be gone but the history they made lives on

• Operator1Operator1 Member, Drivers Champion
    edited May 16

NickDahy said:
    ...how are bugs found in the beta going to be fixed in time for the game launch?...

Same way bugs found in the last 5+ years were fixed.

(Spoiler alert: they won't be fixed. Functional quality doesn't matter when people buy it anyway.)

Post edited by Operator1 on

*Disclaimer: my comments are only my own musings, not 
    'stating opinions as facts' or 'speaking for others.'
    #NeverPreOrder. It's outrageous that consumers have to BEG game companies to make games that reliably function properly. Consumers do NOT buy video games to waste their recreational time doing the unpaid work of paid professional testers. It's nonsense to imply game companies have no obligation to deliver games of consistently reliable functional quality just because "it's not easy & nothing is perfect & you can't please everybody." Company decision-makers listen to consumer spending, not consumer feedback; they don't care if it works properly as long as it SELLS, and every purchase is a vote of approval that helps fund more of the same. Money talks louder than requests & complaints. #VoteWithYourWallet

Last year the beta opened on May 23 and the game was announced May 17. It’s the same as last year, no need for concern.
    This is actually exactly my concern.  There were issues last time that were still never resolved.  If they are doing the same thing as last time, why would you expect a different result?

I am sure they have some, but this is the insight I would like to know about.  But when a beta is released to many people you get much more feedback that a small testing group will take forever to find.  Are they testing just on a local LAN or are they actually testing say in other places of the world 1000km away.

I am not raging over here I am just asking legitimate questions and want the game to succeed.
    edited May 15
    And also I know that Codemasters reads the forum and takes constructive criticism fairly well, as I have seen on some of my other threads over the years. 

This is why I am recommending a little transparency and also why I am raising a legitimate question for such a short window. 

I work for a software company and I know how many builds there are and how long it can take.  3 months ahead of time will not work with you end up with pages of bugs coming back in that time frame.  Even if a lot of them are simple fixed, there will be some that will take a while to reproduce but can be game breaking like the issue they were having with AI cars and pitting too many times in changing conditions.
  • Desmond0313Desmond0313 Member Wheel Nut
    To be honest, they should keep the beta after the actual game release and use it as a kind of Community Test Environment like EA does with the Battlefield franchise. They could create a version of the game can supply useful debug info while people play it, so it would be easier to identify the root cause of issues that people report, instead of trying to reproduce it themselves. This could lead to bugs getting fixed faster, which also means more bugs would get fixed in a given amount of time.

But one can only dream :)
    AOR Split 2 acer in Season 12 & 13
    AOR F7 racer in Season 16 
  • peterf1peterf1 Member Unleaded
    I am looking forward to still seeing XBox keys shown when using a Fanatec Wheel (like X Y or F10 'buttons' labels)... been same for several years of CM F1 games now.
  • speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    Kairronen said:
    You have to relax dude. I'm sure they have testers in their own team, and they will fix a lot. Of course it wont be running 100% at the first weeks, but thats gaming. 
    Bless
  • scottishwildcatscottishwildcat Member, Drivers Champion
    edited May 16
    NickDahy said:
    I am sure they have some, but this is the insight I would like to know about.  But when a beta is released to many people you get much more feedback that a small testing group will take forever to find.
    You'd be surprised how few people are required to find the majority of issues in any given software. (For usability tests -- which I know aren't the same as multiplayer game tests -- 5 people will find nearly all the problems, and 15 will often find them all.)
    Braked: the past tense of brake.
    Broke, brokenanything within reach when I hear racing gamers say 'broke' instead of 'braked'.