Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    edgenz said:
    CMR2.0 is an absolute masterpiece of its time. Still play it on occasion. 
    Last rally game I remember with actual thunderstorms in it.
    It might be a fantastic game, but it's box art and menu system are terrible.
    It's like I "made" a website for our shop and I had to convince my mom and dad that a colored background was a bad idea.
  • edgenzedgenz Member Petrol Head
    JZStudios said:
    edgenz said:
    CMR2.0 is an absolute masterpiece of its time. Still play it on occasion. 
    Last rally game I remember with actual thunderstorms in it.
    It might be a fantastic game, but it's box art and menu system are terrible.
    It's like I "made" a website for our shop and I had to convince my mom and dad that a colored background was a bad idea.
    I understand we all have different taste but I think "terrible" is a little harsh. By today's standards, sure.
    Remembering this launched back in 2000, with a resolution of 480i to work with... 

I know what I prefer...

Dirt Rally Liveries: <60s - 80s> <Group A - F2 Kit - R4> <2000 - 2010>
    edited July 11
    It's clean, I'll give it that. But so is an operating room and I don't want to stare at that for 40 hours.
    I mean... the V-rally isn't that bad actually. Just some ugly fonts, icons, and a weird slant with a blue filtered background image.
    I really hope this devolves into a 15 page discussion about game menu designs. Honestly it's super important and not nearly enough thought goes into it.

I think Horizon Zero Dawns in game menus are pretty trash.

For a game boasting GORGEOUS visuals, and Aloy having a hologram thing on her head, why is the in game menu this boring static gradient image with some music? Why not just take the same information and overlay it using her hologram thing in world? Every time you open the menu or the map it just sucks the immersion out entirely.

I like the Dirt 4 pre-race menu, it's got a nice live background, (kinda like Dirt 2.... jus sayin... cuz it was cool) but it's still easy to navigate and get's you in the mood of things. I do kind of feel like they could've made it more Dirt 2 like and start the game in a trailer, motel, hotel, tent, whatever, then "travel" to the location to get the same pre-race menu.
    There's a lot of super boring menu systems out there with seemingly very little thought put into them. I HATED DiRT 1 and 3's floating boxes on white. It's so... boring and lifeless, and way too sterile for a game called DiRT.

*Edit This is what the HZD in game menu should be.

• dgeesi0dgeesi0 Member Champion
    please no. its not looks you want. its functionality !!!!

that dead space pic has my rage building. Dirt 2 ui was one of the worst ever made by codemasters. what am i even hearing. :#

still dont get why you think dirt 4s is a great system either.

you shouldnt be looking at a system for long if it works clincal as you will already be in game with such a great working system !

dont get why everything has to be 3d flashy over the top. make it the exact opposite and work.many older games did this . you could argue they were limited but by limited it becomes actually better as you do the best of what you can on a limited basis . so it isnt overly done.

also looking at the colin mcrae 2.0 screen and how easy that would be to use with a wheel is perfect.minimum effect no fuss.

function over looks.

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    DiRT 2 looked smart, but it was slow. DiRT 4 (and CMR 2.0) menus are simple and fluid. I don't really care if the menu looks flash, I bought the game to drive, not look at convoluted menus! 

DiRT 4 nailed it for me, as the main menus are simple and you get to see the car/paddock in the screen prior to going racing. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

dirt 2 in caravan do i go left right or out the caravan then windows live pop up sign in go out side find right car or go to options. just no.

didnt like it actually put me off playing it.

as you say you want to play the game not mess about in menus.
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I think the functionality of DiRT2 was pretty bad, but the backdrop was excellent. The opposite could be said regarding DiRT4 one can only look at an R5 fiesta with the same looping song for so long. If they were to combine the two it would really be something great. Have easy navigation but also have insight in a rally paddoc while their at it. Dirt4’s repair screen would be something in that direction 
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    Meanwhile, in Forza Horizon 4, guess what's making an appearance?

Image taken by GTPlanet user TheAdmiester, from the most recent stream from Playground Games.

dgeesi0 said:
    please no. its not looks you want. its functionality !!!!

that dead space pic has my rage building. Dirt 2 ui was one of the worst ever made by codemasters. what am i even hearing. :#

still dont get why you think dirt 4s is a great system either.

you shouldnt be looking at a system for long if it works clincal as you will already be in game with such a great working system !

dont get why everything has to be 3d flashy over the top. make it the exact opposite and work.many older games did this . you could argue they were limited but by limited it becomes actually better as you do the best of what you can on a limited basis . so it isnt overly done.

also looking at the colin mcrae 2.0 screen and how easy that would be to use with a wheel is perfect.minimum effect no fuss.

function over looks.

Obviously you haven't played Dead Space. That in game menu works perfectly, and there's zero reason it would be slow or cumbersome. It's grid based.
    Dirt 1 and 3 had completely plain menu systems and it was still slow and sucked to try and navigate.

You're REALLY missing the point. I'm not asking for form over function, I'm asking for form AND function.
    Dirt 2's menu was a neat idea and I can't figure out how to tell you for the hundredth time that they did it in a poor and ineffective way that was slow and cumbersome. There's no reason that they couldn't take a similar approach but also speed up or just remove transitions altogether. The entire point of video games is to immerse you in something. A boring static image with a menu that still isn't great (HZD, DiRT1, DiRT 3, DiRT Rally, RBR, etc.) takes you out of the immersion and still has a **** menu.

They could put the main menu at a desk with a bunch of papers on it, and on the papers would be the menu options. Fast, snappy, more than a boring menu image, and when you select a race you can leave and travel to the location. It would add NOTHING to it being cumbersome since it loads anyway. I still kind of like Dirt 2's snapshot and zoomout to a world map while it was loading.

You could also look at Naughty Dogs The Last of Us and Uncharted series.

Wow. Something to help get you immersed, that's generally regarded as some of the best opening menus, full 3D scene, and woo! It's SO clunky and unusable.
    A static menu system that instantly transitions? Uses only a vertical grid based system instead of a bunch of random squares and tiles and floating text everywhere? THIS GAME SUCKS! How can anyone traverse these?

Maybe the in game menus could be less annoying.

Oh, NO! it's a real time menu that's grid based and super smooth and fluid and easy to navigate? HOW DARE THEY!

(Also, Dead Space at release was highly praised by... everyone for having an amazingly simple, immersive, real time menu and HUD system UI that doesn't take up too much screen space for ugly things.)

As far as flash goes, there's Persona 5 as well with super quick and snappy menus

I played that game for over 100 hours and never once thought it was a bad, clumsy, clunky, slow, menu system/

Image taken by GTPlanet user TheAdmiester, from the most recent stream from Playground Games.
    Guess who else is making an appearance? Some weird DBag hipsters in skinny jeans! I think people should start a petition to make games just put in a normal looking dude with normal hair and normal clothes.

...also take a look at the cluttered tile menu where things don't really align so you can't actually just go to what you want directly.
  • warpengagewarpengage Member Race Engineer
    edited July 11
    JZStudios said:

Guess who else is making an appearance? Some weird DBag hipsters in skinny jeans! I think people should start a petition to make games just put in a normal looking dude with normal hair and normal clothes.

...also take a look at the cluttered tile menu where things don't really align so you can't actually just go to what you want directly.
    Jeez, that escalated quickly! I didn't post that picture to promote FH4 or to imply FH4 was better, or anything of the sort. I was just pointing out some cool rally cars in other games that, maybe, we'll end up seeing in DiRT. Like when someone pointed out the Citroen C3 in The Crew 2.

No need to get defensive and aggressive about it.

EDIT: Although I do agree about the chicken suits. They are ridiculous. But there is plenty of normal attire as well.
    JZStudios said:

Jeez, that escalated quickly! I didn't post that picture to promote FH4 or to imply FH4 was better, or anything of the sort. I was just pointing out some cool rally cars in other games that, maybe, we'll end up seeing in DiRT. Like when someone pointed out the Citroen C3 in The Crew 2.

No need to get defensive and aggressive about it.

EDIT: Although I do agree about the chicken suits. They are ridiculous. But there is plenty of normal attire as well.
    Ehhh, I mean Forza also had Porsche when no one else did. And I think GT has Toyotas. Although there was a year that Forza inexplicably had no Volkswagens, even though it was just like... the Rabbit and an old Beetle.

I mean, hey, at least Dirt doesn't have you driving around looking like that. The chicken suits are "fun" and cooky, but I didn't see many "normal" attire. A lot of skinny jeans, skirts, loafers, smoking jackets, fake mustaches... The default guy though just looks... like a Dbag. The Crew 2 is copying it pretty hard too.
    I drove a car in real life dressed as a chicken once. You get noticed!
    I wore a cow suit to high school for no particular reason. Never on Halloween though.
    Still won't ever wear skinny jeans and an ascot with a bellybutton shirt though.
    edited July 12
    didnt play dead space i still have the day 1 purchase of the retail copy on my desk :p

sorry but the menu system and immersion is just a waste to me. the immersion starts when im racing / rallying . not when im in a menu trying to find for ten minutes the buttons i want to use. the quicker it is to get in game the more fun you will have . unless they putting tetris in while you swap your options around.

to me some of the games you suggest that had bad UI are the better ones. dirt rally click click rallying.enough of what i need to see in. Dirt 4 was not great still stuff i think where is it after hundreds of hrs of playing it.
  • gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    Although I really liked DiRT2 and didn't mind getting around in it.  I understand some people not wanting to see that come back.  

I don't mind a simple and easy menu system, however I do like immersion, just keep it in the background.  For example, D4 did a pretty good job of the immersion part, lot of places to improve still, but I think it was a good attempt.  Where D4 failed is when you went any deeper from the top-tier menu options.  It just got too lost and wasn't very intuitive or clearly directed.  

I think there can be a balance struck that we could get a pretty quick in/out menu system and still have a good bit of immersion.

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I feel like the immersion value is very dependent on what you want to be immersed in. if it's 'driving a rally car' I agree the immersion starts when you actually drive. But if it's 'being a Rally driver' I think there needs more content to it. It's something I'm really missing from many racing games lately. Too much focus on the former rather than the latter. I want to know the name of the rally, which teams employ which drivers and how they work with them. I want to know more about my opponents and what surfaces they are good at and which they are terrible at. 

While I know the most important part is the actual driving it isn't that much additional work to actually implement things like this. I mean DiRT4 had practically a lot of this but they never went that extra mile to implement it properly.
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • RallyDrivenRallyDriven Member Champion
    edited July 12
    I drove a car in real life dressed as a chicken once. You get noticed!
    And? One time I drove a car dressed as a hot dog, and also once rode a horse dressed as Je sus 

(dam formum censor)
  • MrDeapMrDeap Member Pit Crew
    My dream racing game.

Interactive gui, smartphone like, etc..

Ridge Racer Type 4 kind of like storyline. F1 series does it very well. It doesn't need to be like all 3D, just a storyboard would do the job just fine, could insert narration.
    skip at 11:35

You know that kind of storyboard, story, included technique, line, inserting car diagram, physic theories, formula, etc...

What annoy me the most is sparkling 3d font everywhere with blink blink background that blind you, **** color & only show the corner of the car like if you're not allowed to drive it. 
    Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D