Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2018 German Gross Prize

Comments

• ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    edited July 22
    I may or may not actually just busted my hand punching a wall. Oh well, see you next year.
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
  • JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    This place is voodoo. This place is absolutely voodoo.
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    I love this place!     

The voodoo is real.
  • AMS97KRRAMS97KRR Member Race Engineer
    Bottas penned that new #2 contract. Disgusting lack of ambition 😂
    | 2016 CM Forum Predictor Game Champion! |
    | Manchester United |  Sebastian Vettel #5 | Kimi Raikkonen #7 |

If I was Bottas id sign that, because any other drive would be a lot worse with no chance of winning. I think if it were mid race they would have let him race, but with Vettel out it let's Hamilton maximize the gap.
    Bottas was faster though. Today confirms it, didn't even argue on the radio, just accepted his team mate winning. 

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    What a mental race! Can't believe Hamilton did that, brilliant! Pure unluckiness for Seb but swings and roundabouts.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

• GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    I may or may not actually just busted my hand punching a wall. Oh well, see you next year.
    Defeatist. Unlike your favorite driver.
    But anyway, what a blunder from Vettel. And right in front of his fans. Shouldn't happen to a driver fighting for the WDC, especially with such a beast of a car. Too many mistakes from Seb, like last year. I'm still sure the car advantage ultimately will be enough for even him to get it through the line in 1st, but he's making it look much harder than it should be.
    But anyway, what a blunder from Vettel. And right in front of his fans. Shouldn't happen to a driver fighting for the WDC, especially with such a beast of a car. Too many mistakes from Seb, like last year. I'm still sure the car advantage ultimately will be enough for even him to get it through the line in 1st, but he's making it look much harder than it should be.
    Interesting, so how do you feel about Lewis breaking his car yesterday in perfect conditions?

He didn't break his car, his hydraulics went going into the corner which affected his steering, which made him go wide.

As for Seb, that could have happened to any of them, maybe could have taken it easier, but still easy to do no matter who you are.
  • RevolvingPrawnRevolvingPrawn Member Champion
    AMS97KRR said:
    Interesting, so how do you feel about Lewis breaking his car yesterday in perfect conditions?
    Hydraulics failed before he went off. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-believes-car-failed-before-turn-1-off-1062329/

That was one hell of a race. So proud of how Hamilton drove! I kinda see it as evened out a bit now that both he and Vettel have a DNF each, but with that Ferrari engine now looking so strong I think Vettel is still more likely to take the WDC come the end of the season. But he's gonna have a fight on his hands for it!
  • UP100UP100 Member Race Engineer
    Not fan of all the team orders. Well it's not up to me to decide :/
  • JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    AMS97KRR said:
    Nothing disgusting imo. Bottas in a Mercedes for 2019 is fortunate when drivers like Ocon are on the grid, Ricciardo was available and Russell is on course to be GP2-champion. Part of it was bad luck, part of it was his own undoing, so he's way back in the WDC and of course he's not going to be allowed to challenge Hamilton. That he even attempted a pass was ballsy for me.
    edited July 22
    Fair enough if that's the case. Like you said @Hughesy, it's very easy to go off in such conditions, had he done that a few corners earlier we would have watched the replays and said how he was lucky to get away with it and then continued on, like we did with many others. 

Entertaining watch anyway, if the Ferrari remains the quickest it should be good to watch Vettel try and chase Hamilton down for the remainder of the season. 
    Severely disappointed in Bottas though. Have to say I really felt for him in Baku but it looks like those 25 points he gave to Lewis went to the right place, because clearly he has no interest in trying to fight Vettel.

But this is why Hamilton and Vettel are 4x Champions, because they don't sit back and accept 2nd when 1st is on the menu.

• fIsince08fIsince08 Member Moderator
    One thing about Vettel going off - it shows exactly why more tracks should have gravel traps.

I am not a Codemasters employee.

#RIPJules

---->Forum Rules<----   ---->Forum FAQ<----

edited July 22
    Jiggy said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    Nothing disgusting imo. Bottas in a Mercedes for 2019 is fortunate when drivers like Ocon are on the grid, Ricciardo was available and Russell is on course to be GP2-champion. Part of it was bad luck, part of it was his own undoing, so he's way back in the WDC and of course he's not going to be allowed to challenge Hamilton. That he even attempted a pass was ballsy for me.
    When I saw him challenging I thought "This is it!" - Then literally a few corners later all that fight went and he just settled. The title fight isn't over for Bottas, even Ricciardo said he thinks he can still win if he wins in Hungary (Before the race today anyway). 

But clearly Bottas thinks it is, which just proves he hasn't got what it takes. Needed to man up and say "I've got a 2 (1 maybe?) year deal, and I'm here to win". 

Just like Malaysia 2013, it's moments like that when you see what a driver is really all about. Rosberg didn't pass Hamilton that day, and he sounded distraught about having to settle for 4th rather than 3rd. And over the next 3 years we saw Nico was willing to fight Hamilton all the way, despite probably knowing in himself he wasn't quite as good. 

• VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    fIsince08 said:
    One thing about Vettel going off - it shows exactly why more tracks should have gravel traps.
    And at more than just one corner. Alonso made 3x the mistakes Vettel made today but got away with it because he didn't do it at one particular place. 

Anyway, it sucks and I'm pretty sad. But in the long run I'm hoping it's days like this which will make a potential title feel even better at the end of the season. 
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    edited July 23
    Mercedes shouldn't have used team orders that late in the race and gifted Hamilton a win, Bottas would have got Hamilton on the next lap clearly they only favor one driver. Multi 21 brings back memories.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

First of all, at the rate Lewis was pulling away from Bottas it looks more likely that he was simply struggling more to get temps into his tyres right after the SC (which would be perfectly understandable given they were 10 laps older than Bottas's tyres). The team asked Bottas not to fight, they did not ask him to leave a huge gap and give Kimi an opportunity to pass him. Did Bottas also outbreak himself into the hairpin and give Kimi a run because the team told him so?

Again, nothing suggests that Bottas had the upper hand today. Even when he pitted for fresh softs, Lewis wasn't losing a considerable amount of time on his ancient softs. His first stint and the way he kept his tyres in shape was simply outstanding, but of course some people will focus solely on one teamradio to deny all of that. Btw, Mercedes weren't the only team which used TO yesterday. At least in their case, no driver had to give up his position.