Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

2018 German Gross Prize

13»

Comments

• couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    With Ferrari's TO that was during the race around lap 35 or 40 and you could tell Vettel was faster and Mercedes TO came in the dying stages of the race and it looked like they gave the order as soon as Bottas got up the inside of Hamilton. 
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    So, Vettel was faster therefore TO was ok. But when Lewis is faster and opens up a gap, TO is not ok. And just because it "looked like" (to you) that they gave the TO as soon as Bottas got up the inside, doesn't mean it was given at this exact moment. But we won't agree on this anyway, so why continue this debate? I respect your pov, but I disagree with it.

Lewis drove a fantastic race, especially in the first stint. The way he kept his tyres alive longer than anyone else while still finding pace was spectacular, as was the fact that he kept the car on track in tricky conditions while gaining seconds per lap on the top 3 drivers. He made the most of his US-advantage when the rain came, after making the most of the Soft tyre-disadvantage once the top 4 had pitted and brought it home to win a race he started from 14th through no fault of his own. Good enough in my book.
  • JiggyJiggy Member Petrol Head
    AMS97KRR said:
    Jiggy said:
    AMS97KRR said:
    Bottas penned that new #2 contract. Disgusting lack of ambition 😂
    Nothing disgusting imo. Bottas in a Mercedes for 2019 is fortunate when drivers like Ocon are on the grid, Ricciardo was available and Russell is on course to be GP2-champion. Part of it was bad luck, part of it was his own undoing, so he's way back in the WDC and of course he's not going to be allowed to challenge Hamilton. That he even attempted a pass was ballsy for me.
    When I saw him challenging I thought "This is it!" - Then literally a few corners later all that fight went and he just settled. The title fight isn't over for Bottas, even Ricciardo said he thinks he can still win if he wins in Hungary (Before the race today anyway). 

But clearly Bottas thinks it is, which just proves he hasn't got what it takes. Needed to man up and say "I've got a 2 (1 maybe?) year deal, and I'm here to win". 

Just like Malaysia 2013, it's moments like that when you see what a driver is really all about. Rosberg didn't pass Hamilton that day, and he sounded distraught about having to settle for 4th rather than 3rd. And over the next 3 years we saw Nico was willing to fight Hamilton all the way, despite probably knowing in himself he wasn't quite as good. 
    There is a big difference between Bottas and Rosberg's situations though, Bottas isn't just fighting Hamilton like with Rosberg when the WDC was between the Mercedes-driver only, there are also Vettel and Raikkonen in a Ferrari and Ricciardo in a Red Bull, who were all in front of Bottas before the German GP. When you're Mercedes, it would be downright stupid to allow Bottas to take points away from Hamilton when you're competing with drivers from different teams for the championship. Knowing all that, Bottas still attacked. Mercedes had to call him off, why would you allow Bottas to attack when he's +60 points behind Hamilton and +70 points behind Vettel? Had he "manned up", he would've put his own interests above that of the team. You can get away with that if you're the one leading the charge in the WDC for your team. Not when you're as far back as Bottas is.
    Same with Ferrari: points wise Kimi is way back on Vettel. So team-orders will be in favor of Vettel. Doing anything else, would be dumb.
  • ImDyingYouIdiotImDyingYouIdiot Member, Drivers Champion
    It's simply, really. Team order are legal, so let them be. Just don't be hypocritical about it.

As for the race and the championship: the way I see it, Ferrari do have a car to win both championships. Are they going to win it? No.
    I no longer doubt the car, but the drivers.
    Kimi is long past it, well all know that. And Seb is far too inconsistent. I mean, a **** 4-time world championship binning it in the rain like a rookie in his first season? That's plain embarrassing. Not to mention the strategy calls from the pit wall which are still baffling at times.

Maybe they have a better shot with Leclerc, but certainly not with lukewarm-man and bins-it-like-a-rookie.

I'll also take a break from the whole F1 circus in general. I've already unfollowed all major news outlets and accounts. My mental health has gone down the shitter these past few months and I need to reduce the stuff in my life that makes me feel like ****. Maybe I'll pick it up again, but for now I'm done.

Still, I hope you all enjoy the rest of the season. Cheers!
    "I love ImDyingYouIdiot-senpai!" ♥‿♥ - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"ImDyingYouIdiot inspires us every day. Really, the only reason I get up every morning is to deliver him the perfect F1 experience." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that

"It is not unreasonable to assume that ImDyingYouIdiot, who is no doubt an extremely intelligent and attractive specimen of a lad, experiences the pleasures of intercourse on a fairly regular basis." - Codemasters employee, who wanted to remain anonymous, but totally did say that
    Alright man, that sounds serious, so all I can say really is be safe and be well and take care of yourself.
  • VetteIfanVetteIfan Member Race Engineer
    edited July 24
    I no longer doubt the car, but the drivers.
    Kimi is long past it, well all know that. And Seb is far too inconsistent. I mean, a **** 4-time world championship binning it in the rain like a rookie in his first season? That's plain embarrassing. Not to mention the strategy calls from the pit wall which are still baffling at times.

Maybe they have a better shot with Leclerc, but certainly not with lukewarm-man and bins-it-like-a-rookie.
    It happens. Every driver in history has binned it at some point in the wet. Or in the dry. No reason to lose faith. Seb's been in far worse positions than this before. 

Also Leclerc was maybe the worst driver out of everyone in the wet on Sunday. He was off the track nearly every corner it felt like. Whatever you think of Seb, thinking that Leclerc is a better alternative right now is premature. 

--

Anyway I am sad to hear about your mental health, and it's a shame you can't turn to F1 because sport can often be a welcome distraction when things aren't going too well. But if F1 is contributing to the problem just remember at the end of the day, none of it really matters. Take care my friend.
  • HughesyHughesy Member Champion
    @ImDyingYouIdiot Man sucks to hear about your mental health, my brother is also dealing with mental health issues after his marriage fell apart. Thought he was getting better and then I found he'd drunk alcohol before work this morning. If you need it I hope you get help, talking to someone helps a lot. I myself went through it after the death of a friend a while back and it's not nice.
  • MBKF1MBKF1 Member Moderator
    I did manage to watch the race on Sunday in the end! The family I'm staying with have a stupidly big 85+ inch TV, so watched the ESPN coverage (with Sky commentary).

What a race! Slow start but it all came together with the rain. I absolutely lept out my seat when Vettel went off, I was shocked. I'm still in shock! Can't believe he let that one slip away.

Doubt I will be able to watch the Hungarian GP this weekend however as I'm gonna be in a hotel now, unless they have ESPN on a TV in the room by some miracle.
    MBKF1 | Community Moderator | Please be aware that I don't do much actual moderating
  • couger1981couger1981 Member Race Engineer
    MBKF1 said:
    I did manage to watch the race on Sunday in the end! The family I'm staying with have a stupidly big 85+ inch TV, so watched the ESPN coverage (with Sky commentary).

What a race! Slow start but it all came together with the rain. I absolutely lept out my seat when Vettel went off, I was shocked. I'm still in shock! Can't believe he let that one slip away.

Doubt I will be able to watch the Hungarian GP this weekend however as I'm gonna be in a hotel now, unless they have ESPN on a TV in the room by some miracle.
    It was a damp track in certain areas so anyone could have made that mistake.
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 2018
    Member since 2011
    RIP Bianchi
    The Future is Now!

• GoldenColtGoldenColt Member Champion
    But only one of them did...

(way too short)
13»