Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

Impossible to keep up with the AI race pace solely due to high tyre inner carcass temperatures.

Comments

• Lewis44TheWinLewis44TheWin Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 20
     for anyone saying I should lower the AI then: I could do that but since you cannot change difficulties between sessions anymore

1.06 changed this, you can change difficulty between sessions now.

Post edited by Lewis44TheWin on

• kobra167kobra167 Member New Car Smell
    Change of difficulties could be done. But that feels like cheating. And I think there is too much of a pace advantage when the tires still are normal temp to really make that feel legit. 
  • ZachrulezZachrulez Member Wheel Nut
     for anyone saying I should lower the AI then: I could do that but since you cannot change difficulties between sessions anymore

1.06 changed this, you can charge difficulty between sessions now.

If you're at a point where you have to drastically change difficulties between qualifying and the race because the difficulty is so out of line there is something seriously wrong. No matter how much you deny it there is.

(I'm not even advocating the system as it exists be removed, more just added too with more options.)
  • JR6492JR6492 Member Wheel Nut
    edited September 20
    @1512marcel

think driving style and setup has a lot to do with it I’m on the wheel and my tyres were cooked after 6 laps on COTA but I changed my setup added more frontwing and reduced ballast (was using a TT setup) also tried to minimize steering input through the esses and tyres were fine. 

Think i I was able to do 20 laps or so on the softs and only had 40-50% wear by end of race
  • Alex015Alex015 Member New Car Smell

Ah okay. I haven't been updating it to 1.06 yet. Then forget I said anything.

If the AI actually suffered from this overheating as well, there would be no need to change difficulties as they'd have to adapt their pace, too. But I don't know if such thing is realizable in the game. Would be nice, though.
  • 1512marcel1512marcel Member, Drivers Champion
    Thanks mate, now I definitly don't have to go through all related posts :)  Anyway, I was already under the impression that you can't race with a TT setup. This was in most cases the same in 2017 but with the focus on tyre wear in 2018 it will be even harder to get away with a TT setup. I guess a lot of all trouble concerning this issue is based upon users trying to race with a TT setup. But that's an assumption.

If you use ABS or Traction Control, you are no longer a racing driver.

1512Marcel

If I get a few more questions about my driving style I think I headbutt someone.

Max Verstappen

• speeddemon8021speeddemon8021 Member Team Principal
    I have done some testing and this is what the results offered to me.

Understeery setups are the way to go to cool down the tyres imho, sadly you will lose a bit of time, around 1 - 4 tenths, but that is alright in a longer race as you have to choose when to push and when to cruise.

I usually push only for around 10% - 30% of the race, play with no assists, on both the pad and the wheel, and do 100% races for the most part at 108 - 110 AI difficulty.

One thing that came across my observations whilst grinding the game is that the AI seem to be heavily scripted in the way that their tyre wear and tyre temperatures don't seem to be affected as much as from the player and that their laptimes seem to be rather fixed upon specific deltas instead of being dynamic to represent what the player experiences, in other words the AI doesn't seem to be driving in a realistic way at all but is simulated to do xx amount of laps on certain tyres whilst having specific xx amount of wear and temps which is a tragedy that can be seen as gamebreaking to some, or maybe if we bend the matter of logic to create a different angle to this topic the AI is programmed to be perfect, lel.

Either way, the AI possibly need to be fixed to be driving in a realistic manner so that they also only do push for around 10% - 30% of the race and cruise for the rest in a dynamic manner.

Also, why don't we have separate AI pace and AI aggressiveness sliders in 2018?

It's a shame to not have a split slider option to adjust the AI the way we want them to be.

PS: To those that probably will jump on the ship of "but i do race online and can't compete anymore", finally Codemasters are trying to go into the depths of simracing and are giving us features that we have beem asking for since 2010 but some people want to go backwards instead?

Also to those that might spite their excuse of not being able to get a wheel, it surely doesn't make a individual have to break into a bank to get a decent wheel these days, 100 bucks is a great starting point.

My advice for teenagers, students and children:

Do some part time jobs, or become freelancers in art / music / animation / programming / handywork / carpenting / engineering / hunting / fishing etc. to both learn valuable skills that can come in handy as you grow up and earn a little bit of cash as well as a nice byproduct to be able to buy yourself a decent wheel.

My advice for adults:

You should already be working by now and or are a college student, either way there is no excuse for you to not save up a little bit of money, eg. 10 bucks - 20 bucks per month, til you can buy yourself a decent wheel.

Space ain't a issue as well, a wheel isn't as big as a cupboard and hence can be used in almost any household if you are creative enough to use anything possible to your advantage and or are good with finances to buy yourself a (folding) wheelstand, i personally use a cheap folding table if i'm driving on the PS4 / XBone and use my solid metal desk if i'm on the PC, never had any issues with space. 

At the end of the day it all comes down to perspective and whether or not we do dedicate some more time and effort to our hobby, but to each their own.

There really are some cretins on here with no actual understanding of how the real world or life in general works.

Understeery setups are the way to go to cool down the tyres imho, sadly you will lose a bit of time, around 1 - 4 tenths, but that is alright in a longer race as you have to choose when to push and when to cruise.

I usually push only for around 10% - 30% of the race, play with no assists, on both the pad and the wheel, and do 100% races for the most part at 108 - 110 AI difficulty.

One thing that came across my observations whilst grinding the game is that the AI seem to be heavily scripted in the way that their tyre wear and tyre temperatures don't seem to be affected as much as from the player and that their laptimes seem to be rather fixed upon specific deltas instead of being dynamic to represent what the player experiences, in other words the AI doesn't seem to be driving in a realistic way at all but is simulated to do xx amount of laps on certain tyres whilst having specific xx amount of wear and temps which is a tragedy that can be seen as gamebreaking to some, or maybe if we bend the matter of logic to create a different angle to this topic the AI is programmed to be perfect, lel.

Either way, the AI possibly need to be fixed to be driving in a realistic manner so that they also only do push for around 10% - 30% of the race and cruise for the rest in a dynamic manner.

Also, why don't we have separate AI pace and AI aggressiveness sliders in 2018?

It's a shame to not have a split slider option to adjust the AI the way we want them to be.

PS: To those that probably will jump on the ship of "but i do race online and can't compete anymore", finally Codemasters are trying to go into the depths of simracing and are giving us features that we have beem asking for since 2010 but some people want to go backwards instead?

Also to those that might spite their excuse of not being able to get a wheel, it surely doesn't make a individual have to break into a bank to get a decent wheel these days, 100 bucks is a great starting point.

My advice for teenagers, students and children:

Do some part time jobs, or become freelancers in art / music / animation / programming / handywork / carpenting / engineering / hunting / fishing etc. to both learn valuable skills that can come in handy as you grow up and earn a little bit of cash as well as a nice byproduct to be able to buy yourself a decent wheel.

My advice for adults:

You should already be working by now and or are a college student, either way there is no excuse for you to not save up a little bit of money, eg. 10 bucks - 20 bucks per month, til you can buy yourself a decent wheel.

Space ain't a issue as well, a wheel isn't as big as a cupboard and hence can be used in almost any household if you are creative enough to use anything possible to your advantage and or are good with finances to buy yourself a (folding) wheelstand, i personally use a cheap folding table if i'm driving on the PS4 / XBone and use my solid metal desk if i'm on the PC, never had any issues with space. 

At the end of the day it all comes down to perspective and whether or not we do dedicate some more time and effort to our hobby, but to each their own.
    Lol thanks for the advice on how to "Adult" I needed that laugh.

Zachrulez said:

If you're at a point where you have to drastically change difficulties between qualifying and the race because the difficulty is so out of line there is something seriously wrong. No matter how much you deny it there is.

(I'm not even advocating the system as it exists be removed, more just added too with more options.)
    I was simply stating you could change difficulty between sessions, for an individual who didn't know it was now an option.

• LilBrown47LilBrown47 Member Petrol Head
    @speeddemon8021

There are some people here who can't stay civil nor give any constructive criticism or at least some proper feedback or evidence that can be used to understand the problem they apparently are experiencing but rather are totally obnoxious towards their fella members and unnecessarily beat around the bush for no reason.

Your problem seems to be ego, as you refuse to accept that Codemasters are trying to promote a harder challenge for once, hell, you prefer to use a pad over a wheel.....

Take the "Black Pill".....

#NukeHumanity
    @Lewis44TheWin

It seems as if the playerbase of Codies F1 franchise mostly consists of people aged 6 - 30, so of course they usually have either no money or not enough and hence can't or won't buy a wheel even though the experience is infinitely better to a pad, but there are many opportunities to generate cash these days especially with a little help of the almighty Internet, also that "advice" was not meant for people that are financially secure, but still i am glad that you had a laugh, lel. :)

#NukeHumanity
  • FRACTUREDFRACTURED Member, Drivers Champion
    @Lewis44TheWin

... even though the experience is infinitely better to a pad... 

I dunno about infinitely. I don't really enjoy the wheel as much as on other games. It's still missing something. 
    VIOLENCE. SPEED. MOMENTUM.

The two time, 2016/2018 F1 Beta testing Champion of the World.
    @FRACTURED

>I dunno about infinitely. I don't really enjoy the wheel as much as on other games. It's still missing something. 

Indeed, Codies ffb, physics and handling itself is still a bit off compared to other racing games / sims of their (direct) competition, but if one buys a wheel it's generally considered to be a universal investment that can be used for all kinds of racing or driving software and not to mention it's the proper way to play them tbh, but to each their own.

#NukeHumanity
    @speeddemon8021

There are some people here who can't stay civil nor give any constructive criticism or at least some proper feedback or evidence that can be used to understand the problem they apparently are experiencing but rather are totally obnoxious towards their fella members and unnecessarily beat around the bush for no reason.

Your problem seems to be ego, as you refuse to accept that Codemasters are trying to promote a harder challenge for once, hell, you prefer to use a pad over a wheel.....

I Also prefer the pad to a wheel.....  

• kobra167kobra167 Member New Car Smell

My advice for adults:

LOL, pay up or shut up advise for the adults. I love it. 
  • mattplevmattplev Member New Car Smell
    You have to do quali laps to keep up with them. If you race with a pad.
    Drop the AI difficulty then, buy a wheel or get better. Don't complain something that isn't actually an issue.
  • sanderu1983sanderu1983 Member Unleaded
    It is a issue! For almost every pad driver. Why should i or someone else drop the ai difficulty level because of this? Monaco and Singapore for controlling the tires temps they drop 10 sec of race pace in real. That's perfect then pad drivers can control the temps to. In the game the AI are driving simulation race. Not even own setups etc. So yeah this is a issue.

Or a you so rich @mattplev ? Then buy me a fanatec elite for ps4 and a race seat;)