Welcome to the Codemasters Forums! Be sure to check the FAQ and Forum Rules before you get started.

DiRTy Gossip Thread

Comments

• AIPacinoAIPacino Member Unleaded
    edited November 7
    It's a shame WRC had to step down to 1.6. The 2.0 engines were the best sounding by far and provided way more spectacle given the turbos and technology used at the time. Imagine what would be a 2000 Lancer Evo VI or an Impreza with today's turbo standards and the car chassis length. The true beasts were those.

In terms of engineering these new WRC cars are great but their appearance and the fact it's a 1.6 screaming lacks something. The cars, specially the Toyota, are way too small and a bit ridiculous looking. Only the Ford and the Hyundai look more like normal cars.
    It's quite hard for me to imagine a Subaru to fit those sizes and it'll certainly look ugly af, because whenever I think of Subaru I immediately imagine the Impreza 1997 or the 2001-2004 versions.
    Fitting in today's WRC standards i can only think of this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/1986_Subaru_Justy_4WD_(6553107375).jpg

:D

• tbtstttbtstt Member Champion
    gfRally said:
    @tbtstt for some reason I thought you said this long long ago here.  But I must have read it elsewhere.   So at least that is a little bit better.

Don't listen to me @gfRally, I am usually talking rubbish! :D
    gfRally said:
    the article ‘claims’ Europeen sales have been flat or lackluster, here in the US they are exceeding sales projections for a number of years now, in the State that I live its also #2 or 3 for number of Subarus sold in the IS - its not uncommon for me to drive up the street and pass 3 in a few minutes.  Point being is if you guys disagree with sales over there, it’s likely the numbers are being compared today over here.  I give no credit to SRTUSA for boosting sales, maybe STIs but its extremely limited, if it has done anything here is keep brand loyalty for those that attend.  Also US rally doesn’t require the R&D abd budget that WRC requires.

I would agree with the statement about dwindling sales (for the WRX & STI) in the UK and I think the same is true in Europe as a whole. 

I really like the look of the latest generation of STI, but once the UK model went to the EJ25 there is no way I would go near one. Subaru UK (and I daresay all the National European dealerships) just didn't promote the WRX or STI well either, they aren't doing much better with the BRZ now. 

Yeah, Rally America doesn't require the budget of WRC, but Subaru have certainly thrown some cash at the Vermont program. 

The Impreza/WRX has, in my opinion, got too big. What I would really like to see is a similar powered platform but something much smaller: the Prodrive P2 would have been perfect, but I'd take something a little bigger if that's how it came!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• gfRallygfRally Member Champion
    @tbtstt  i trust your subie knowledge way more than most.

I would buy a WRX if it looked like the P2.  Thats really nice.   Not seeing it in person to really judge size is good though.  However, now with a family My 4 door hatch is really convenient, maybe when my kid gets older and can sit up front a 2door would work.

twitch: gfrally    twitter: gflinch

• Rallystu2Rallystu2 Member Wheel Nut
    edited November 7
    the Subaru concept car does look pretty tasty though
  • DidzisDidzis Member Team Principal
    dwkGravey said:
    AIPacino said:
    The cars, specially the Toyota, are way too small and a bit ridiculous looking. Only the Ford and the Hyundai look more like normal cars.
    Since when was small and ridiculous looking a mark against a rally car?

(I think the Yaris is the best looking of the current WRC games—like someone crossed a hatchback with a spaceship.)
    The Metro 6R4 probably would've been a better example 
    i5-3350P | Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 2 | MSI B75A-G43 Gaming | Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost | Kingston HyperX Red 8GB | Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | WDC Blue 1TB | Corsair VS550 | Fractal-Design Core 3000 | Logitech Driving Force GT + Logitech Formula Force EX

DiRT 2 | DiRT 3 CE | DiRT Showdown | DiRT Rally | DiRT 4 | GRID | GRID 2 | GRID Autosport | F1 2015
    gfRally said:

I would buy a WRX if it looked like the P2.  Thats really nice.   Not seeing it in person to really judge size is good though.  However, now with a family My 4 door hatch is really convenient, maybe when my kid gets older and can sit up front a 2door would work.
    The P2 is small (it was based on the Subaru R1 chassis) and was only a two seater. As much as I would like to see it happen, I doubt Subaru would put a small performance car like that into production as it would have zero practicality...

...that said, the P2 concept is a similar size to the BRZ, so never say never!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• AIPacinoAIPacino Member Unleaded
    The 205 wasn't that bad, the Metro was terrible.
  • carpacarpa Member Race Engineer
    AIPacino said:
    "Wasn't that bad" it won the Drivers Championship in '85 with Salonen and '86 with Kankkunen. And the Constructors Championship in '85. And in the opinion of Juha Kankkunen himself, after he tried both, it was a more agile and easy car to drive compared to the Delta S4 which was a bit of a monster (even though it was overall faster I think). Your idea of 'not that bad' is debatable...
    "I race to win, of course. But even before of winning, I race to race. As fast as possible"
    - Gilles Villeneuve
  • KingOfCoinsKingOfCoins Member Champion
    I think he was talking about how the car looked
    If you have everything under control, you're not going fast enough
    -Mario Andretti
  • SkyRexSkyRex Member Race Steward
    tbtstt said:
    gfRally said:

The P2 is small (it was based on the Subaru R1 chassis) and was only a two seater. As much as I would like to see it happen, I doubt Subaru would put a small performance car like that into production as it would have zero practicality...

I'm a Subi Fan myself, never heard of the P2 so had to look it up...
    This thing? :

Well... honestly I think that has zero to do with Subarus Design Language.
    Kind of looks like a Cadillac had a threesome with a little Ford Ka and an Audi R8.
    Not the worst design out there, but not really to my taste and I see no Subaru in that design.

I actually think Subaru is right on track currently. They continue to refine their Hawkeye language more and more. There are still some rough and ugly edges in some models (*cough*STI Concept*cough*), but it is getting along better and better. Like the new Viziv Tourer Concept:
    Now that's some nice design imho. I hope they pour some of that into the next STI. Make it a limousine (aka a "sedan" in american) and put a wing on it. And some color, that is much more... blue.(says man, who daily drives one of the bluest cars in existence. Blue is nice ^^)
    Anyway, look at that sexy front end of that concept. It's like they forged the elegance of a Volvo with the anger of a Lamborghini. It doesn't look all raged up, but more like some very confident evil smile. Love it. especially those headlights, please built a production model with those.

P.S.: WRC cars never got smaller. The production cars got bigger. What is a small car today has the size of a compact car from the millenium. It is just a nececity to use a small base car as a WRC car. So, although I like the millenial WRC cars more, I think the average consumer is to blame. Those who think small cars have to be bigger and still look cuddly... Although I do really like the i20 WRC, just not the colors
  • RodgerDaviesRodgerDavies Member Champion
    Aye, when you put the C3 and Yaris next to each other, they look as different to me as the Quattro and 205.

Regarding Subaru, maybe we should move the chat to the WRC thread, but I think a semi-hot-hatch is what they've needed for ages in Europe. The current saloon models are very suited to the US market but no more acceptable in Europe than any other low-range saloon (seen as pretty pointless here).

There are still an aging generation raised on Colin McRae that they can tap into with it if they market it better than their recent efforts. A WRC campaign would be a good start, and they'd benefit hugely from the European focus the promoter is always complaining about IMO.
  • dwkGraveydwkGravey Member Race Engineer
    Didzis said:
    The Metro 6R4 probably would've been a better example 
    I was looking for one but couldn't find a picture that showed the crew as squeezed together as in the 205.
    How's this for small and ridiculous (of a different nature)!

• mats27mats27 Member New Car Smell
    AIPacino said:
    But the Metro makes up for it with its sound  :D 
    Game Designer at Codemasters
    Twitter 
  • MrDeapMrDeap Member Pit Crew
    The front end design of Subaru that kind of look like Volvo is mainly to protect pedestrian for less harsh injury, It's a safety design. The front end get more plastic part & the hood is less likely be a cutting object.

Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K 4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|Gigabytes 980Ti G1 6GB|14TB storage|X-Fi Titanium HD|SuperNOVA 1300 G2|Corsair 800D
    SkyRex said:
    tbtstt said:
    gfRally said:

I'm a Subi Fan myself, never heard of the P2 so had to look it up...
    This thing? :

Well... honestly I think that has zero to do with Subarus Design Language.
    Kind of looks like a Cadillac had a threesome with a little Ford Ka and an Audi R8.
    Not the worst design out there, but not really to my taste and I see no Subaru in that design.
    Yep, that's the one @SkyRex. That isn't the best picture and yeah, the car isn't a looker (but then you could say that about any Impreza!), but bare in mind that the concept is 12 years old now. The technical aspect of the car was it's most impressive feature. Clarkson doesn't get the details right, but he does convey the performance of the car in this clip:

At the time (and even now) I really hoped this was the direction that Subaru would take - especially when they announced that the WRX STI would become a completely standalone range from the Impreza - but the subsequent models have got bigger rather than more compact. Funny you mention about the "design language" as I thought some of the more recent WRX...

...and Viziv...

...concepts reminded me a lot of the P2. 
    I actually think Subaru is right on track currently. They continue to refine their Hawkeye language more and more. There are still some rough and ugly edges in some models (*cough*STI Concept*cough*), but it is getting along better and better. Like the new Viziv Tourer Concept:
    I sort of agree. I think they are heading back in the right direction with styling, the last WRX STI was definitely a major improvement in terms of looks, though I still think Subaru have lost their way a bit with the STI from a technical standpoint and the modern car is too big. 
    SkyRex said:

P.S.: WRC cars never got smaller. The production cars got bigger. What is a small car today has the size of a compact car from the millenium. It is just a nececity to use a small base car as a WRC car. So, although I like the millenial WRC cars more, I think the average consumer is to blame. Those who think small cars have to be bigger and still look cuddly... Although I do really like the i20 WRC, just not the colors
    Again I sort of agree. WRC cars in the late 00's got bigger (Mk.1/Mk.2 Focus, C4 and the GD/GR Impreza), but the 1.6L cars are smaller. But yeah production cars have, in general, got bigger: which brings me back to my major gripe with the development of the Impreza/WRX STI!

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"

• F2CMaDMaXXF2CMaDMaXX Member Champion
    Don't forget the WRX and moreso the STI engine has basically atrophied for ten years.
  • JZStudiosJZStudios Member Champion
    SkyRex said:
    Now that's some nice design imho. I hope they pour some of that into the next STI. Make it a limousine (aka a "sedan" in american) and put a wing on it. And some color, that is much more... blue.(says man, who daily drives one of the bluest cars in existence. Blue is nice ^^)
    Anyway, look at that sexy front end of that concept. It's like they forged the elegance of a Volvo with the anger of a Lamborghini. It doesn't look all raged up, but more like some very confident evil smile. Love it. especially those headlights, please built a production model with those.

I.... actively now despise that. XD Way too many sharp angles and lines, though I've always been a fan of the more elegant, graceful curves. Why are the wheel wells/arches hexagons if the wheel is round? Why does the goofy front mouth have it's lips stuck out like some instagram girl, with a big russian chin protruding underneath?
    What are those... things on the roof?

Also, $20 says those "vents" on the front bumper are just solid black plastic covers "designed" only for looks. Why do so many companies do that?
    I just realized... depending on how you look at it, this thing has 2-3 front splitters.
    Don't forget the WRX and moreso the STI engine has basically atrophied for ten years.
    Yeah, that's the biggest technical aspect of the newer cars that I have issue with. 300 BHP from the showroom was an impressive figure in the late 90's/early 00's but, despite the car getting bigger, the engine development hasn't, in my opinion, matched it. 

As I said a page ago as well, the UK model got the EJ25 instead of the beloved EJ20 which was another blow as well. If I was buying any post-2005 model I would unquestionably go for a JDM import. 

"If In Doubt, Flat Out!"