Here is a quick update of my researchs :
- Racenet is still unavailable, I would really love to get news about this tools (what is coming and when) 🙄 @PJTierney can you get some news about it ???
- Using API of dirtgame website will not do the trick as we cannot create rallycross championships in clubs and so get stats 😭 Only public events can handle rallycross.
Last solution is to use UDP output feature of DR 2.0 (used by racing sim hardware like motion platforms or HUD).
I already digged into it and the stats that I'm able to get are basically:
- current_lap_time (refreshed at 100hz)
- current lap and total laps : ex: 1/4
- track_length (should be unique so I can map track name in stats)
This could be an alternative solution but everything is not perfect.
- I never get last_lap_time stats for the last lap of a race. Stats resets just after crossing the finish line so I never get last_lap_time packet 😞 I could trick this by using the last current_lap_time packet just before crossing the finish line but this will not be the real precise lap_time that the game calculate but close approximation (~10ms in best case scenario).
- I'm able to match the circuit name based on a track_length info returned via UDP but I have no info about rounds (ex : Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, semi-final, final).
- Each player would need to install my software on his machine and active UDP output. I'll also need to create a dedicated API to centralise all players stats.
Based on the limitations I talked about earlier, the dashboards I could present would be :
- a Track best lap / pilot. I can also filter this by hour/day/week/mounth.
- a graph a best laps/day to follow our progress on every track (circuit)
This would be a start but this is quite limited info and represent lots of work compared to the result 😅
@PJTierney I'm not the first user to request for this kind of stats from a codemasters API and all theses info are already tracked in your DB.
The amount of work to give us access to timing API doesn't look big and could benefit for all games. This could be a good way to involve communities in a long term.
How can we help you push this features to codemasters (probably via current racenet rework) ? Survey ? Petition ? 🤣
I'm sure if you give access to data API lots of users will create great stuff (bots, auto tweet, ...) that can benefit everybody, involve players on games in longer terms and improve codemasters social presence throught players communities and events.
Just for fun, here is a screen of my actual bot reporting (fake) stats