DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

welcome back devs ! enjoy your break ? lets clear the tables .

Aww, I'm sure you're beautiful.                                                                    <3
Beyond belief xD

Greko was unaware of the bug until I informed him via the monthly thread, and he apologised. So no, Greko is not a cheater no matter how one decides to twist and turn it. He's a good guy.

please dont derail or destroy what is a important thread.its been done early for a reason as if this isnt got under control there will be no point in playing it.

PS. Greko is a cheater.
I've had him a for a a few months in friends now and compared times regularly...he doesn't seem so.

Edit: oh, there was a 3rd page here :D kinda late :)

I don't see how not repairing exhaust can be done unintentionally.
The rate of car damage was bugged. The only way to prevent it from happening would have been to be aware of the bug and then put extra repairs into the exhaust. Literally after like 4 stages the exhaust would be at 30%.

dgeesi0 said:
please dont derail or destroy what is a important thread.its been done early for a reason as if this isnt got under control there will be no point in playing it.
Casting aside the devil's advocate for a moment ;) I do like the concept of rally stage hotlapping. Of course it is unique to sim racing as you don't get to rerun stages to perfect them in real world rallying but it is fun, extremely challenging and makes for almost endless gameplay.

To have any meaning it needs to be fair. Creating a level playing field can be tough as the definition of level playing field can be very variable, hence the endless debates about fixed setups, restricted practice times, variable conditions and balancing of cars in classes that exist in sim racing forums above and beyond outright hacking.

Greko was unaware of the bug until I informed him via the monthly thread, and he apologised. So no, Greko is not a cheater no matter how one decides to twist and turn it. He's a good guy.
Cool, I'll add him later. Beat him (and @Snaky115 who snuck in from nowhere) with a 6:51.633  (also out of nowhere, I was setting 6:55's and then bam, have a 6:51) :)

Greko is not a cheater. He did set some dodgy times in the 2000's monthly a few weeks back, but this was due to the exhaust bug.
Abusing a bug = cheating.
Kinda depends if you do it intentionally.
I don't see how not repairing exhaust can be done unintentionally.
In that monthly I also didn't repair the exhaust. Not because it would make me faster (I didn't know about it), but just that it seemed pointless, It fell off, I repaired it to 50%, and in the next stage after 5-6 turns it's off again. I'd rather spend the time repairing other things than waste it on an exhaust, that's gonna fall off after less than a kilometre

Oh yes he did. Speaking on the subject, so did I xD

So long as they're confident in their ability to detect cheaters, I hope they rethink their "second chance" stance on cheating. I know it wouldn't discourage all cheaters, but if they know they'll have to fork out ~$60 and a new steam account every time they want to cheat, it should help. I can understand F2P and very cheap games having issues with cheaters running amuck. Can't understand it in a major, full priced title though.

no thats the problem. the game on some cd key sites has been very very cheap. for eg there was a mistake last few days on a site and dirt rally was going for 99c ! thousands of copies were sold. on many other sites i seen the game for $9 dollars.

also on many hack sites where people pay for private hacks if they are caught they get a new cdkey.for free !

so no the hacking wont go away. 2nd chance wont work.there needs to be a 1 chance then ban.

the anticheat needs to be better but as darren said to me the worst thing is the current system means each cheat cant be removed without a wipe.

so if the game is only supported for the next year which i have read somewhere. thats a few wipes then if you time orientated its over. no support, no wipes. dirt 3 times.

at moment i am not playing the game due to many top times being cheats as there is no point.shame.

Yeah, its de-motivating.  Other than your times, this game has very little else to reward effort, its a tough learning curve for many too.  We are only a very small cross-section of reasonably experienced players.  How many others see their times relative to the thick-end of the leaderboards and are just 'giving up' to play something else?  
I'm personally getting more 'DiRT Rally satisfaction' out of skinning cars this week, than I do actually playing the game.

I see, well that would explain the influx of cheats lately. It's been a couple weeks since I touched a gravel stage and hopped on one yesterday, the top 3 times are suddenly cheats. Are those sites legal? I think it was somewhere on Steam forums people questioning the legality of those sites. Would think Valve would be a big enough entity to get something done.

It's a shame that the system is apparently rather archaic if removing an individual isn't possible without completely wiping the system. On the other hand though, it's not like these guys are really fooling anyone. I say as long as we know what times other legit players are doing and can make videos then **** the cheaters. Cheaters are scum of the Earth, I'd personally like to see some real world punishments when caught cheating. Yeah, yeah, it's "just a game". I don't buy that. If you have to cheat at anything, I think that says something about the type of person you are, which is you're probably not a good person to begin with. Oh wow, rambling.

I get like that KevM with liveries. I did a few different liveries of a s2000 207 of the same driver in RBR. It was quite enjoyable trying to get everything right to match the real car as close as possible. And even hunting down all the sponsor logos/rally plates/decals/etc turned out to be a pretty cool scavenger hunt kinda game. At one point, I think I got a little addicted to redoing logos in paths/vectors so I'd have a nice, clean copy of a logo any size, anytime I needed one. And now I have a small library of some auto related manufacturers logos and a bunch of Italian businesses. :D

Well this is kind of disheartening, I was not aware of the limitations of the system. Just to clarify, if you say "remove a cheat", do you mean the player, or do you mean preventing the cheat code from being used by anyone?
dgeesi0 said:
no thats the problem. the game on some cd key sites has been very very cheap. for eg there was a mistake last few days on a site and dirt rally was going for 99c ! thousands of copies were sold. on many other sites i seen the game for $9 dollars.

also on many hack sites where people pay for private hacks if they are caught they get a new cdkey.for free !

so no the hacking wont go away. 2nd chance wont work.there needs to be a 1 chance then ban.

the anticheat needs to be better but as darren said to me the worst thing is the current system means each cheat cant be removed without a wipe.

so if the game is only supported for the next year which i have read somewhere. thats a few wipes then if you time orientated its over. no support, no wipes. dirt 3 times.

at moment i am not playing the game due to many top times being cheats as there is no point.shame.

Malyngo said:
So this is really expensive, the cheapest would be to use some 3rd party anticheat like Punkbuster, but in my experience, games that are using those are also far from cheat free.
Ahh, the famous Battlefield 3/4 servers with "Punkbuster bans" or "Server protected from cheats by one or the other" and you still have aimbotters or one shotters or whatever they feel like using at a given moment. Vote kick doesn't usually work, as people don't vote, and those that are in the team with the cheater won't vote because... well, they're winning -_-

So companies can't just go for a Punkbuster or a different 3rd part license, because those quite literally suck, and have to do it themselves. Problem with that is, it takes time from developing the game and will never be really up to the task anyway, since it has to be an on-going priority. They would literally have to create a division that is responsible for working on anti-cheat for ALL of their games and updating it constantly. Otherwise... it's an uphill battle that can't be won and fair players will always be the victims.

only reason other games farm out to third party groups is cost.that is it.

many studios( and in my honest opinion it should be a big responsibility) should do more against cheating. some games make hundreds of millions billions yet cant be arsed to stop the cheats. do you think activision or ea and so on couldnt ? they could. they just dont want to dip in the profit pots.

so third party groups on little budgets have to compete with hack sellers who basically have more money and resources. then people wonder why the anticheat sucks.

is there any time frame on when the leader boards are being wiped ?

A wipe is absolutely pointless until the methods are blocked.  Plain and Simple                                                                

KevM said:
A wipe is absolutely pointless until the methods are blocked.  Plain and Simple                                                                
Well, at least 2000s leaderboards could be wiped, since you can't tell on Germany and Monte Carlo which times come from an exhaust bug and which from trainers (excluding the very obvious ones).

Sure, it's a shame cheaters ruin the leaderboard, but for me it's all about the driving experience.
It's a PC game, there is always cheaters out there. The price we pay for modding I guess.

Get DR on console if you want fair leaderboards?

bogani said:
Get DR on console if you want fair leaderboards?
Is this confirmed that leaderboards will be separated between platforms?

I have said this for months now.  A console leaderboard will have more honest time's to work off, but the unfortunate things is, if you have the actual ability to be as fast as the console players, you will have no credibility as a PC user anyway!

well i asked about when wipes happening and apparently now wipe single player individual records.that should save alot of hassle.