Jump to content Jump to content

Why don't Rally Games use Photographic Textures like This?

Jake Cushing

Wow, this looks completely amazing, even the replay section. And this is a 2005 game? sometimes modders can do amazing things. 😁 though the look of the car felt a bit off for me in replay mode, but it still looked awesome.

but the thing is though, would a game company in 2005 managed to have pulled of releasing or making something like this?

Maybe this is only capable to be modded like this due to some recent software developments or things like HD 3D scans of real world textures being more available recently. I wouldn't know though. 😅

Posted (edited)

Well, to a certain extent this is how simulation games used to be made. I remember the Links golf games from the late 90s and early 2000s did this. They look better than all the modern golf games imho, allowing for age and polygons. 

The original Richard Burns Rally also did it, just not as well as the top modders from today. 

I don't know why this stopped being a thing in commercial games. 

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 1

Really? They used to make some of the sims (simulators) like this? 😮 wow, I didn't know that.

Well, after all, sometimes things become a trend and then companies start copying if one succeeds, therefore, creating a loop where all games will look like and copy aspects from the most successful one, like follow the leader.

hmmm, 🤔 but when you think about it, doesn't it feel a bit like evolution, where the successful genes prosper, and the non-successful ones wither away? 😅

But somehow when it comes to producing games, it doesn't feel that way at all lol.

Who knows one day this kind of style might make a comeback, after all 2k and 4k resolutions are becoming more common, therefore, realism type textures might make a comeback in the future as a game style, 😁

• Agree 1

I think a key aspect was the use of 2D decals or sprites for trees rather than 3d models. This allowed that photographic look however on closer inspection was compromised somewhat for being 2D.

Anyway, all that being said, Generations is looking very tasty. We're getting there maybe:

• Agree 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, Jake Cushing said:

I think a key aspect was the use of 2D decals or sprites for trees rather than 3d models. This allowed that photographic look however on closer inspection was compromised somewhat for being 2D.

Anyway, all that being said, Generations is looking very tasty. We're getting there maybe:

Ah, I see...
I remember watching a video game documentary I think, talking about those kind of techniques being used once upon a time...
I'll have to find out which one I watched though, I can't remember the title. 😅

also that graphics is looking very nice already, with the advancements we have now in tech hardware, software, also AI, things like the unreal engine 5 is closer to bringing more realistic looking graphics for video games.

for example, this Unreal engine 5 demo for the matrix. CG is improving a lot, we just have to wait a few more years.

Introducing The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience

Edited by mcavallier
typo

I think it's been a problem of choice more than tech. DR 2.0 could have gone for a down-to-earth photographic style. Instead they went for over-saturation, over-bloom plus shiny effects that didn't make any visual sense. The result is a game with art direction that is a backwards step from Dirt Rally 1.

Looking at WRC 10, they at least avoid all this nonsense, but for example, look at the castle in the background in Ypres. Instead of using photographic textures, it looks like a straight-out 1990s Nintendo game object. It's still there in the upcoming game! 

There is almost a fear of looking realistic and subdued, ie like a game for adults, I think because of the need to pull in a crowd who want to play 'games' and so take no perceived risks. 

As you said @mcavallierit would take one to start the trend. But I doubt it'll happen somehow. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...