Jump to content Jump to content

How to feel Tire traction?

moogleslam

Hi humans!

After a lot of experience in DiRT 2, 3, and DiRT Rally, I had been away for a while, but finally bought DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition this week, and am loving rally more than ever.  I'm on PC and am using a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & Clubsport Pedals V3.  I've got 10 hours into it already, but a lot of those hours have been tweaking graphics and force feedback to my liking.  I started with Fanatec's recommended settings.  I've almost got things to where I like them, but the one thing I feel is lacking is knowing what the tires are doing, i.e. are they gripping, or are they spinning. 

I've got a lot of experience in all the dirt cars in iRacing, and it's very easy to know what the tires are doing in that sim, though it's been a while, and I can't recall if it's through wheel feedback, pedal feedback, audio, or a mix of all three.  Is there some recommended settings in DR2 to achieve the same?  I know there's sliders for Wheel Friction and Tire Friction, but I don't fully understand them (including the difference between the two), but I haven't been able to get them to give me what I want.  There's also Tire Slip, but it's grayed out.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, moogleslam said:

Hi humans!

After a lot of experience in DiRT 2, 3, and DiRT Rally, I had been away for a while, but finally bought DiRT Rally 2.0 Game of the Year Edition this week, and am loving rally more than ever.  I'm on PC and am using a Fanatec CSL Elite wheel base & Clubsport Pedals V3.  I've got 10 hours into it already, but a lot of those hours have been tweaking graphics and force feedback to my liking.  I started with Fanatec's recommended settings.  I've almost got things to where I like them, but the one thing I feel is lacking is knowing what the tires are doing, i.e. are they gripping, or are they spinning. 

I've got a lot of experience in all the dirt cars in iRacing, and it's very easy to know what the tires are doing in that sim, though it's been a while, and I can't recall if it's through wheel feedback, pedal feedback, audio, or a mix of all three.  Is there some recommended settings in DR2 to achieve the same?  I know there's sliders for Wheel Friction and Tire Friction, but I don't fully understand them (including the difference between the two), but I haven't been able to get them to give me what I want.  There's also Tire Slip, but it's grayed out.

Thanks!

wheel friction affects turning the steering wheel ie light or heavier to turn it. tire friction is what gives you a stronger effect of the surface that they are touching....... but getting this to work at its best in dirt rally 2.0 is not easy if you set everything to max  it doesnt give you the best strongest feel through the wheel .....set everthing at different levels in the 3/4 range on the sliders then experiment alot in particular areas of the FFB to find out what affects what in relation to each other  ,,,,,,,,feed back on tarmac isnt brilliant but  driving on  ice/snow feedback can feel exactly like real life if you hit the sweet spot. good luck ,  you will need it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, Exasperated said:

wheel friction affects turning the steering wheel ie light or heavier to turn it. tire friction is what gives you a stronger effect of the surface that they are touching....... but getting this to work at its best in dirt rally 2.0 is not easy if you set everything to max  it doesnt give you the best strongest feel through the wheel .....set everthing at different levels in the 3/4 range on the sliders then experiment alot in particular areas of the FFB to find out what affects what in relation to each other  ,,,,,,,,feed back on tarmac isnt brilliant but  driving on  ice/snow feedback can feel exactly like real life if you hit the sweet spot. good luck ,  you will need it.

Your name is how I feel about this game.  Such a mix of things that are utterly brilliant, and others that are so broken and un-fixable, especially on the VR side.  Close to giving up and praying that their new WRC 23 title fixes them (though also downloading Richard Burns Rally and all its mods right now).

I'll play around with those two sliders a bit more to see if I can get them to add anything to the FFB.  I've tried a few times, but keep dropping them back to 0.  Will try the "3/4 range".

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:27 PM, moogleslam said:

Your name is how I feel about this game.  Such a mix of things that are utterly brilliant, and others that are so broken and un-fixable, especially on the VR side.  Close to giving up and praying that their new WRC 23 title fixes them (though also downloading Richard Burns Rally and all its mods right now).

I'll play around with those two sliders a bit more to see if I can get them to add anything to the FFB.  I've tried a few times, but keep dropping them back to 0.  Will try the "3/4 range".

What are your issues in VR? What headset are you using? Runs brilliantly for me.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, AyrtonSdS said:

What are your issues in VR? What headset are you using? Runs brilliantly for me.

If that's true, you're one of the few.

I have an HP Reverb G1 with 2080 Ti & i9-9000k, both overclocked.  Even with every setting at the minimum, I'm at a rock solid 90FPS, but there's stutter.  I see most people reporting the same, and I've delved into it with others on the racedepartment forums, and on reddit, but no one has a solution.  We've read everything and tried everything, from USB polling issues to MSI Afterburner Voltage/Frequency curve tweaks, not to mention everything in NVIDIA Control Panel, in-game, and in the xml file.  I have the headroom to turn up a lot of the graphics of course, and I still get a solid 90 FPS, but still the stutter. 

The other issue is the alpha dithering that is used on the foliage.  It looks awful.  There's a mod to fix this, but that causes popup.  4x MSAA fixes this, but makes the stutter slightly worse even though the frame rate is still 90 at all times.  Popup is almost gone with no MSAA as well, but that doesn't look great, even with a lot of super sampling.  Strangely, popup is the worst with 2x MSAA, which makes no sense; how can 2x MSAA cause worse popup than no MSAA and 4x MSAA?!?!  Additionally, increasing trees lod in the xml file fixes a lot, but basically every fix introduces some other problems.

Also tried running in OpenXR instead of SteamVR, and tried the fixed foveated rendering from the vrperkit_v0.3, which doesn't fix the stutter, but the other issue is that the dithering fix doesn't work with those.

Then there's a lot of graphics settings that just make no sense, or work well on one stage, but not another.  One of the weirdest is Track.  Presumably, this is supposed to increase the track surface detail, and/or the draw distance for low to high detail, but nothing ever changes after changing this setting, even with a stage restart, or even a game restart.  I've actually seen a video of a guy testing this on his monitor (not VR), and has the same experience.  At the same time, the track will sometimes be high detail or sometimes be low detail, but it seems completely random, and never aligned with what Track is actually set to.  There's some mysterious option in the ini such as <graphics_card rating="2"> which suggests there's some hidden presets.  I could write a book about this, as I've lost more hours of my life to this than I'd like to admit :)

Edited by moogleslam