The Game Thread!

I'm taking F1 2014 far to seriously, I've created a spreadsheet for when I'm going to rotate the engines  :#

Hughesy said:
Wow I didn't realise DAI was such a beautiful game :o  Seems to be pretty well optimized, as I'm playing it maxed at 1440p at near 60fps. Maybe it'll go down a bit when I'm fighting, but at the moment it seems to be running well. :) Using the FrostBite engine was a great idea, hope they use it for the next Mass Effect.

I honestly think this has some of the best graphics I've seen. The texture quality is amazing, especially the ground textures. Things like pebbles on paths aren't just flat looking mipmaps, and the fact my 780 is able to run it at mostly 60fps is brilliant as I thought it was starting to not be powerful enough at 1440p. Just shows how badly some other games are optimised. The game itself is brilliant, I'm not sure why I waited so long to buy it.

The Frostbite enigine has to be one of the best  as games that use it always look good, without needing a super computer to run it.

Well I have DA2 anyway as I bought it the same time I bought Origins so I may as well play it. I heard it wasn't very good but thought I'd judge it for myself.  I've enjoyed games before that haven't been highly thought of after all they said the same thing about ME3's ending although I do think it was a bit of a weak one it made sense within he story. The rest of the game was still very solid though in my opinion. I agree about the Frostbite engine I've liked  it ever since I've seen it on Battlefield and yes they plan to use it on ME as well for the next game anyway should work well if they can make it look as good as Battlefield. The Unreal engine they were using was good as I have several games that use it but it's not as good as the Frostbite one so it's definitely a good upgrade.

One thing I've been discovering though  the maps are much bigger than I thought they'd be it's taking a while to progress but I am making it through slowly. It's definitely a very big open world game as the levels are very big and long. Still a lot of fun though.

Another thing I forgot to mention though the boss fights are quite challenging but it's all good fun. The only negative I think I have of Origins is the fact that your character's not voiced like in ME or the other DA games. As it feels moer real when all the characters are voiced at least to me.

Just met with Oghren gotta say he's hilariously funny

DAI has to be the best game I've played this year, really don't know why I waited this long to buy it. Love the gameplay and story, and sometimes find myself just staring at the world, as the graphics are awesome. Sorry I keep posting about it, but it's not like this place is full of people posting like in the past...

Hughesy said:
DAI has to be the best game I've played this year, really don't know why I waited this long to buy it. Love the gameplay and story, and sometimes find myself just staring at the world, as the graphics are awesome. Sorry I keep posting about it, but it's not like this place is full of people posting like in the past...
yeah although I've not played it yet I've been watching loads of vids of it and been very impressed it is stunning how good it looks even there. I'm looking forward to starting my first playthrough was thinking going as a female mage for my first run. Playing as a male mage in Origins atm challenging but fun. Like you I've noticed it's been a bit quiet around here lately too. Which is why I've been focusing more on my games and given the size of Dragon Age I guess that isn't such a bad thing as I think I'm barely about half way through and I've been playing it all week pretty much.

Hughesy said:
yeah although I've not played it yet I've been watching loads of vids of it and been very impressed it is stunning how good it looks even there. I'm looking forward to starting my first playthrough was thinking going as a female mage for my first run. Playing as a male mage in Origins atm challenging but fun. Like you I've noticed it's been a bit quiet around here lately too. Which is why I've been focusing more on my games and given the size of Dragon Age I guess that isn't such a bad thing as I think I'm barely about half way through and I've been playing it all week pretty much.
What's surpised me the most are the graphics, and how well it runs. I wasn't expecting to be able to max it at 2560x1440p and get playable framerate. Looks like my 780 isn't down and out yet o:) It has a benchmark tool, but when I used it I only got an average of 32fps. When I play the actual game, the lowest I've seen is 45fps (cutscenes run at a locked 30fps.)

I can see myself playing this for a long time, pretty much been playing it all day. I'm surpised nobody else here plays it, i don't think the reviews did a good job showing what this game is about, as that's what put me off. It's kinda similar to Skyrim and better imo, and I know people here like that game. It's pretty different to the first Dragon Age, and the changes are for the better I think.

Hughesy said:
Hughesy said:
What's surpised me the most are the graphics, and how well it runs. I wasn't expecting to be able to max it at 2560x1440p and get playable framerate. Looks like my 780 isn't down and out yet o:) It has a benchmark tool, but when I used it I only got an average of 32fps. When I play the actual game, the lowest I've seen is 45fps (cutscenes run at a locked 30fps.)

I can see myself playing this for a long time, pretty much been playing it all day. I'm surpised nobody else here plays it, i don't think the reviews did a good job showing what this game is about, as that's what put me off. It's kinda similar to Skyrim and better imo, and I know people here like that game. It's pretty different to the first Dragon Age, and the changes are for the better I think.

yeah that's what impresses me most too when your casting spells and all that it looks pretty spectacular and that's before we get onto the scenery and what I've seen of that it's pretty impressive too. I've been trying to get into DA for a while but it didn't really start happening until I started reading the strategy guides that I really started to understand the game. Now I know how it thinks I'm starting to make progress. It's been  slow and quite hard but I'm getting there. I'm not reading everything as I didn't want too completely spoil the gaming experience but just enough to give me an idea of what I'm supposed to be doing. My old 660's were able to run Battlefield fine but it definitely fills me with hope for when I get started.

Apparently you get to sit in judgement over people as well and some of those scenes  are quite funny they certainly had me giggling at them anyway.

@sjsharp2010‌ Yea it took me a while to get into DAO, as I didn't have a clue what to do or what was going on. DAI is a lot different, and is a brilliant game. I didn't have any save data to import, but it hasn't made a difference. Anyone who loves Skyrim would love this game, and it has a great story :) It's probably one of the best games I've played on PC, I haven't had a single problem so far. It's funny as I'll be playing this game nonstop into a new year lol.

I really don't think EA are a bad company anymore, and Origin is actually a great platform. If you have problems they will give you a refund, something Valve/Steam won't do (or rarely) even though people rave at how good that platform is. Origin is a lot younger than Steam, yet allows you to change where you install games (something Steam has only just implemented) Ubisoft has to be the worst developer on PC now, and Uplay is awful.

Hughesy said:
@sjsharp2010‌ Yea it took me a while to get into DAO, as I didn't have a clue what to do or what was going on. DAI is a lot different, and is a brilliant game. I didn't have any save data to import, but it hasn't made a difference. Anyone who loves Skyrim would love this game, and it has a great story :) It's probably one of the best games I've played on PC, I haven't had a single problem so far. It's funny as I'll be playing this game nonstop into a new year lol.

I really don't think EA are a bad company anymore, and Origin is actually a great platform. If you have problems they will give you a refund, something Valve/Steam won't do (or rarely) even though people rave at how good that platform is. Origin is a lot younger than Steam, yet allows you to change where you install games (something Steam has only just implemented) Ubisoft has to be the worst developer on PC now, and Uplay is awful.

well in fairness it looked like to me that unless I could master DAO I wasn't going to stand much chance in mastering DA2/DAI which was why I held back on playing them. I thought to myself once I'd mastered   DAO the other 2 should fall into place. I can see myself playing these games for most of January though if this keeps going the way it is though, given I haven't touched any of Origins DLC yet either and given I bought the ultimate edition it came with all  that.

I do agree about EA and Origin it's not a bad service. After all I've grabbed a couple of freebie games from them as well. My only complaint which is really a minor one is that it is a bit slow sometimes especially when it comes to reinstalling games. A good example of this is the fact i9t takes the better part of a day just to reinstall the ME trilogy with all it's DLC.

Not surprised Fez doesn't play it though there are loads of Giant Spiders underground near where the Dwarves live :p

I;m close to buying The Elder scrolls online but want to get anyone's opinion on it, ive seen some screenshots where it looks like Wow and SWTOR has anyone played it?

I;m close to buying The Elder scrolls online but want to get anyone's opinion on it, ive seen some screenshots where it looks like Wow and SWTOR has anyone played it?
It's awful and is soon going to become f2p by the looks of it. http://www.pcgamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-removes-six-month-subs-f2p-rumours-abound/

Just read some of the comments on the page I posted :#

Not surprised Fez doesn't play it though there are loads of Giant Spiders underground near where the Dwarves live :p

I won't play it because there's way too much lame magic and potion rubbish in it, which bores the absolute hell out of me :p Skyrim was the only game I made an exception for in this kind of genre, mainly because it played just like Fallout, plus I sword and shielded my way through it and completely ignored the magic crap.

I won't play it because there's way too much lame magic and potion rubbish in it, which bores the absolute hell out of me :p Skyrim was the only game I made an exception for in this kind of genre, mainly because it played just like Fallout, plus I sword and shielded my way through it and completely ignored the magic crap.
You can play it like that bud. I haven't used any magic as like you it bores me, I'm using a shield and sword ;) 
I wanted to ask, what's The Long Dark like mate? Sounds like a cool concept.

Hughesy said:

You can play it like that bud. I haven't used any magic as like you it bores me, I'm using a shield and sword ;) 
I wanted to ask, what's The Long Dark like mate? Sounds like a cool concept.

Yeah you can I'm playing as a mage but you don't have to play as one or even have one in your team it's entirely your choice within the story as to how you want to play it just like in ME when you can decide who accompanies you on each mission. I'm playing as a mage because magic does interest me. Plus I prefer having long range attacks at my disposal and mages are the best class for options in that area. You can set your character up with Bows and arrows as well though so Magic isn't the only long range attack either. The strategy I've adopted for my game is me and Leliana stay back while 2 of Sten, Oghren and Alistair go in close and chop their heads off. But there are several different ways of playing it. I tend to stay back to act as the main healer of the team and Leliana's pretty skilled with the bow and arrow so I tend to use her to cover me as well in case one of the bad guys decides to take me on seeing as mages don't have particularly good protection.

Magic or not, the whole thing still just looks "uuuggh" to me :p The vast majority of these games do, and no matter what you guys say my mind won't change :p 

@Hughesy The Long Dark is weird, it can be really difficult and annoying with the wolves, but it can also suck you in completely and make you think about what you need to do to stay alive, and plan ahead the next 24 in game hours lol. 
So yea, difficult, but it's like playing a Telltale game (graphics) and being in the movies The Grey and Alive. Except there is no story, you just gotta survive. It's good dude, if it's still around £7 then it's worth it. Early Access game so at the moment the only mode available is Sandbox, but there is a story mode coming for it.

So the only games I picked up in the sale were The Walking Dead: Season 2 (onto the fourth episode, been good so far but maybe not as good as Season 1; want to play the entire series again though), South Park: The Stick of Truth (9/10ths through - absolutely brilliant and hilarious) and This War of Mine (just bought, gets great reviews).

What has everyone else picked up over the holidays then? 

So far I've picked up:
Assetto Corsa (awesome, really impressed by it, very pleased too that it has a Xbox controller preset so I don't have to set up my wheel every time)
The Long Dark (frustrating but addictive and interesting survival)
The Forest (cannibals are massively annoying, but it's quite fun, survival is decent)
7 Days to Die (so far feeling like I wasted my money, overpowered zombies and frustratingly hard to actually get started without being messed up by zombies, plus the graphics and gameplay are pretty sub standard)
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (nothing bad to say, I think at some point we've all at least tried or seen one of the Flight Simulators so I knew it'd be difficult but fun when you master it, plus Xbox controller has a preset too so that's good!)

So far I've picked up:
Assetto Corsa (awesome, really impressed by it, very pleased too that it has a Xbox controller preset so I don't have to set up my wheel every time)
The Forest (cannibals are massively annoying, but it's quite fun, survival is decent)
7 Days to Die (so far feeling like I wasted my money, overpowered zombies and frustratingly hard to actually get started without being messed up by zombies, plus the graphics and gameplay are pretty sub standard)
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (nothing bad to say, I think at some point we've all at least tried or seen one of the Flight Simulators so I knew it'd be difficult but fun when you master it, plus Xbox controller has a preset too so that's good!)
You don't use your wheel in Assetto Corsa? Weird.. :p I've never enjoyed racing sims using a controller since first using a wheel.

Hughesy said:
So far I've picked up:
You don't use your wheel in Assetto Corsa? Weird.. :p I've never enjoyed racing sims using a controller since first using a wheel.
I'm happy with a wheel or controller :p

Thing for me is that the wheel can be a pain to set up, mainly because my stand is stored under my bed along with the pedals, gearshift and cables. So when I do set it up it takes about 30 mins to do because I gotta move other stuff around to get the stand out, whereas the controller is just plugging it into a cable that lives under the desk and pulls out like 3 meters if I tug it lol. Takes about 30 seconds ;)

Hopefully gonna be moving somewhere bigger just before summer this year though, so if it works out I'll end up leaving the wheel set up at all times and it'll just be a case of shifting it in front of the desk :)

I bought:

Verdun, Bully:Scholarship Edition and Dark Souls Prepare to die edition

AMS97KRR said:
I bought:

Verdun, Bully:Scholarship Edition and Dark Souls Prepare to die edition
Bully is an awesome game, I really hope Rockstar make another. They have hinted at the possibility, I'm thinking about reinstalling it as I haven't played it in years :)

I haven't bought any lately but I'm happy with what I have for now plus I'm still working through games I bought recently anyway so I'm going quiet on the game buying front until I've worked my way through a few of them.

I was playing Civ V online today and normally you don't get a great game, normally 6 people (someones leaves after the first few turns because of a bad start location etc.) and it ends pretty fast. Today, I get an 8 man lobby, we played for about 150 turns and then suddenly the game screws up, the host disconnects as a result, then 4 more people disconnect and it was really annoying. Online Civ V is so worthless right now if you like playing full games. It was a really good game too, very close and panning out for a great late game fight.

Anyone here called Burgey on Steam? As I have a friend request from him, but haven't a clue who it is... It's someone from Victoria Australia.

Hughesy said:
Anyone here called Burgey on Steam? As I have a friend request from him, but haven't a clue who it is... It's someone from Victoria Australia.

Nope I'm sjsharp2011 on Steam but I only use the account for buying and downloading games though not really for interaction or playing online. As the interaction side of things I prefer to use forums like this (assuming I can dodge the idiots that happen to be all over them sometimes. :p )