Jump to content

The Game Thread!

Recommended Posts

Sounds wonderful.

I really enjoyed iRacing when I had it but it was just too impractical. It just cost too damn much and I wasn't spending nearly enough time with it to justify the price tag. Like, if you love sim racing and this is going to be the only sim racing game you'll ever play, by all means go for it.

 Isn't it like £5 for one car? I could almost buy a burrito in Boojum for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The pricing model is what puts me off iRacing, but its the best online racing game you'll ever play. You just need to put lots of practice in to get the most of it.

You get moments like this from it though (I'm the 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSfPpVQcEU


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yea it really is, I loved it. My first race I battled with this guy the whole race and at no point did we touch. If it wasn't for my broken body I'd still be subscribing,  as nothing comes close to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have to say I really like the night racing on Forza 6 really impressive. Been having quite a few battles with your drivatar @Hughesy been making me work for it :p .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Driv3r's on foot controls are some of the worst I've ever experienced. God damn was this game disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mission in Just Cause 3 wanted me to take a moped and drive it to a garage, I said hell no and tethered it to a helicopter  B)

Bit of a crap pic as I have Steam overly disabled and in offline mode due to annoying popups showing while online that you can't turn off.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
just bgought the P cars DLC have to say I missed racing around the old Hockenheim layout. It's enjoyable to let loose around there again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Debating weather to get AC Syndicate, I said I wouldn't buy it full price but I can get it for £20. Anyone here have it? Compared to Unity I have heard good things about it.

Thats cheaper than going to watch Yeovil play and I'm sure I'll have more fun playing it (even though Yeovil won for once today) So I think I might buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughesy said:
Debating weather to get AC Syndicate, I said I wouldn't buy it full price but I can get it for £20. Anyone here have it? Compared to Unity I have heard good things about it.

Thats cheaper than going to watch Yeovil play and I'm sure I'll have more fun playing it (even though Yeovil won for once today) So I think I might buy it.

I don't have it. Here's one guy's review of the PC version (with 1080P 60 FPS captured footage):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnB13zJnfA


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I ended up buying it before you posted, but thanks anyway  :) All my Christmas presents are bought, and I have plenty of beer, so why not buy yet another game :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AC Syndicate has shocked me, it's actually really good, especially compared to Unity. The 2 characters you play are good and interesting, and the graphics are really good. Also shock horror it's actually optimised really well, not quite getting 60fps at all times, but with how the game looks it's not surprising. And unlike previous AC games, it still feels smooth when the framerate drops. £22 I paid was totally worth it, this is one of those drunk purchases that has actually worked out :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It does look like the best one they've done for a while. I quite like the look of the setting, was considering getting it myself.
Also just saw the next trailer for the FF7 remake...I may have lost my composure and got overly excited. Now just hoping it's not PS4 only otherwise it's going to be a very expensive purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just Cause 3 looks like it could be fun, but I'm really turned off by its always-online requirement, especially since it's a single-player only game. I've read some reports of login troubles & random server disconnects that interrupt game-play. People are also reporting that the game is not very well optimized for PC. User reviews on Steam & MetaCritic collectively lean towards negative.

Scratch another new game off my list for now. Maybe I'll reconsider purchasing it after some good PC patches/improvements, with a price drop, and if they hopefully come to their senses & remove the always-online requirement.

Technology keeps advancing & game budgets keep growing, but games keep getting more problematic & less innovative.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Operator1 said:

Just Cause 3 looks like it could be fun, but I'm really turned off by its always-online requirement, especially since it's a single-player only game. I've read some reports of login troubles & random server disconnects that interrupt game-play. People are also reporting that the game is not very well optimized for PC. User reviews on Steam & MetaCritic collectively lean towards negative.

Scratch another new game off my list for now. Maybe I'll reconsider purchasing it after some good PC patches/improvements, with a price drop, and if they hopefully come to their senses & remove the always-online requirement.

Technology keeps advancing & game budgets keep growing, but games keep getting more problematic & less innovative.


On PC you can block it from connecting online which is what I have done ;) play at a near constant 60fps at max settings, the only thing that's broken is Vsync, if it drops to 59fps it drops to 30fps, so I just use adaptive vsync. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You really wouldn't know AC Syndicate came out a year after Unity, it's brilliant. Most reviews say the same, but for some reason PC Gamer gave it a low score. This is AC returning to form, the fact that I got it for such a low price makes it even better  :D Ubisoft making a game that works on PC when released is also astonishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I read the PC Gamer review, it pretty much summed up what I figured from watching vids :p Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed never changes.

Same game, different setting, you'll get bored of it before long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well if you actually play it there's many things that are totally different compared to the previous games in the series. Saying a game never changes is stupid, every series has similarities to the previous game. GTA, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Fallout, The Witcher and so on, they all have similar gameplay to the previous one, so I really don't understand that argument...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hughesy said:
Well if you actually play it there's many things that are totally different compared to the previous games in the series. Saying a game never changes is stupid, every series has similarities to the previous game. GTA, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Fallout, The Witcher and so on, they all have similar gameplay to the previous one, so I really don't understand that argument...
Thing is, each of the games you mentioned usually has a few years of development between each game. There's a 'new' AC every year and it's boring as hell.

Go here, climb a lookout to unlock more of the map, follow these people without being spotted, etc etc. It's the same things that have been in for years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I get it, it's not your type of game, it doesn't matter how long it's been since the last game if in your words it's the same thing. Syndicate has a lot of new stuff that you don't seem to know about, I was expecting it to be like Unity but it's really not. Been playing since midday, still not bored ;)

In other news this is awesome, started my new game+ a while back, so it's cool they are still improving things http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dying-light-getting-enhanced-edition-upgrades-free/1100-6432833/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lol, I think I'll just fall back on "no pirate ship battles, no buy" ;) 

Great news on Dying Light! I very much need to finish that game lol. The Following is gonna have coop right? We'd have to whip out some buggies I think!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lol, I think I'll just fall back on "no pirate ship battles, no buy" ;) 

Great news on Dying Light! I very much need to finish that game lol. The Following is gonna have coop right? We'd have to whip out some buggies I think!
Yep, the dlc price is going to be going up soon as it's bigger than they planned, so if you want it I'd buy it soon. Not sure when the price is going up, sometime this month I think, it's nice they let people know instead of just putting it right away. I can't get it at the moment, but I'm definitely going to get it. We didn't play co-op much in that game (mainly due to GTA) so it should be fun. Martin needs to hurry up as I really want to do the other heists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hughesy said:
Operator1 said:

Just Cause 3 looks like it could be fun, but I'm really turned off by its always-online requirement, especially since it's a single-player only game. I've read some reports of login troubles & random server disconnects that interrupt game-play. People are also reporting that the game is not very well optimized for PC. User reviews on Steam & MetaCritic collectively lean towards negative.

Scratch another new game off my list for now. Maybe I'll reconsider purchasing it after some good PC patches/improvements, with a price drop, and if they hopefully come to their senses & remove the always-online requirement.

Technology keeps advancing & game budgets keep growing, but games keep getting more problematic & less innovative.


On PC you can block it from connecting online which is what I have done ;) play at a near constant 60fps at max settings, the only thing that's broken is Vsync, if it drops to 59fps it drops to 30fps, so I just use adaptive vsync. 

How do you block the game from connecting to its servers without running Steam in offline mode, or manually plugging your firewall, or disabling your network connection? Is there an in-game option for that? Or does it require some manual workaround? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Firewall/ anti virus software, I also did this for MGS. That way you can stay online and don't have to switch between modes, just block it and then you never have to do anything again. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×